News AX Fighter Changes Notification

Hadn't even noticed these were available. Guess it shouldn't surprise me, since all of this stuff was left out of the Beta it stands to reason it would be buggier than a spider turd.

I can't help but to suspect this sort of issue has to do with how the damage data is entered/processed.

If that data is entered, let's say, as a basic value - we'll use "20" as an example, then said weapon would do a base "20" damage.
I suspect there is no "If Target is:" selection to allow that base to be modified, so you could have DMG: 20 If Target is: Thargoid +20 to increase the damage against a specific kind of target, but I'm only guessing here, as I have no idea what that side of the engine looks like.

Hadn't even noticed these were available. Guess it shouldn't surprise me, since all of this stuff was left out of the Beta it stands to reason it would be buggier than a spider turd.

I can't help but to suspect this sort of issue has to do with how the damage data is entered/processed.

If that data is entered, let's say, as a basic value - we'll use "20" as an example, then said weapon would do a base "20" damage.
I suspect there is no "If Target is:" selection to allow that base to be modified, so you could have DMG: 20 If Target is: Thargoid +20 to increase the damage against a specific kind of target, but I'm only guessing here, as I have no idea what that side of the engine looks like.

I thought there is an anti-xeno damage type and the new fighter was simply missing it.

there is a damage type "anti-xeno", and they probably forgot to reduce the kinetic part of it.

I am correcting you because you are wrong.

a) Insane4un did not even touch this topic (which is perfectly valid, but beside the point), at least not in part under question. He wrote that he tried it and new fighter is useful, not overpowered - in general. He also mentioned that it does not have utility. I would qualify this as an expert opinion on facts of the game.
b) oscarolim did not say anything about FDEV design idea, he attacked Insane4un without even understanding him. He obviously mixed not having utility with not having use. I would not qualify this in any way, but wrote that defending FD with false argument is not very helpful.

Erm..

Did you even tested this AX-1 Fighter? Cause i did.. It is not OP in any way. And don't need any fix. It is a fighter that don't have even utility..

Something that doesn't have 'utility' is something useless. So if is useless, why complain (my original comment).

Now, maybe there's some language barrier in what Insane4un is trying to write. If so, maybe he can explain what he means by "don't have even utility". But I assume he means that it's useless.

And yes, Starshoy is right: if the ship is not behaving as it was originally designed, is not really a nerf, now is it? If your boss adds a 0 to your paycheck (to be clear, multiplying your income by 10), and then asks for 9/10 back, is not a pay cut, is it? Is fixing to it's original intent.

Something that doesn't have 'utility' is something useless. So if is useless, why complain (my original comment).

Now, maybe there's some language barrier in what Insane4un is trying to write. If so, maybe he can explain what he means by "don't have even utility". But I assume he means that it's useless.

And yes, Starshoy is right: if the ship is not behaving as it was originally designed, is not really a nerf, now is it? If your boss adds a 0 to your paycheck (to be clear, multiplying your income by 10), and then asks for 9/10 back, is not a pay cut, is it? Is fixing to it's original intent.

I think he means utility slot? (I originally assumed he meant utility/usefulness too).

I think he means utility slot? (I originally assumed he meant utility/usefulness too).

Of course he meant utility mount, which, in fighter comparison context seems natural. He particularly mentioned utility to say that fighter in question is handicapped in some area (other is limited ammo). So, as I said, oscarolim's answer was based on simple misunderstanding, he was arguing a point Isane4un was not making.

They are fixing something which doesnt work as intended and still people complain.. You complainers never cease to amaze..

I think you're missing his point a little. We can read, so it's fairly safe to say that we all know it isn't working as intended, what with the devs saying it isn't working as intended and everything.

His point is based in the fact that as of now, players have to make fundamental choice about whether they are going to equip to fight Thargoids or humans before taking off from station and in terms of organic gameplay it's really more than a bit tedious.

That goes double when a player has to basically build an entire ship from scratch to use against the Thargoids and can't equip the necessary weapons unless they have 5 or more weapon slots of class 2 or above (for 2 x AX missiles, 2 x AX multicannons and a flak cannon) plus at least one more slot for a conventional weapon to drop the Thargoid's panic shield. It's sufficiently restrictive that I for one have opted to have pretty much zero engagement with the headline content of 2.4 so far because I just can't be doing with having to fly one of about five possible ships, in a specific configuration which is useless for anything else. It's effectively a mini-game within the main game right now and this hard wall they seem to be determined to maintain between being able to fight Thargoids and being able to do anything else is one of the reasons for it.

If you like that implementation it's fine mate, keep banging your tambourine. I'll be near Sol doing some Federation ranking and wondering if we'll ever get some Thargoid content that we can play as part of the main game instead of almost feeling like I've logged onto a separate account.

Greetings Commanders,

Just a quick update for you about the recently released AX Fighter.

Yesterday we released the AX fighter, a new experimental weapon that is meant to be used against the Thargoids.
Unfortunately we have identified a bug with the AX fighter's statistics that makes it effective against human targets as well as Thargoids.
The released AX fighters is currently comparable with the top end fighters in combat against humans and NPCs.
In the coming weeks there will be a stability update in which we plan to fix this bug, significantly decreasing the fighter’s effectiveness against human and NPC pilots, we will also ensure that its limited availability is improved.

We don't believe this will affect players in a drastic way, but wanted to make sure we let you know ASAP.

Thanks!

Ed
I don't view this as a bug, I see it as the way forward in terms of harmonising what has by now grown into 3 completely seperated and compartmentailsed gameplay avenues: PvE, PvP and Thargoids - and never the twain shall meet. Please leave this so called "bug" in and build upon it. Adopt it as your new design philosphy.

This is probably the first time the devs have created something that's actually:

a) Harmonised across their 3 wilfully seperated playstyles; PvE, PvP and Thargoids. Harmony is a good thing.

b) Is remarkably balanced in terms of pros and cons. It does the best damage but it has no utilities meaning no defensive capabilities. Whether by accident or not that's one of the better balanced things I've seen in ED.

c) is fun!

That's the holy trinity that most developers aspire to reach. And FD calls it a bug and plans to nerf it back down to its own seperated/compartmentalised area of "Only useful for Thargoid content. Completely useless for 99% of the rest of the PvE content and completely useless for PvP" ... When they have achieved ... the holy trinity in terms of game design.

A good piece of game design and FD calls it a bug. The most atrocious pieces of half baked, anemic place holder skeleton content (Multi-crew, Exploration, Bounty Hunting, CQC, Powerplay, CGs, Military ranking, RNG material gathering) and FD calls it intended "gameplay". I'm getting kinda tired of watching FD throw away and/or never embrace good game design ideas when they hit them square in face.

Of course he meant utility mount, which, in fighter comparison context seems natural. He particularly mentioned utility to say that fighter in question is handicapped in some area (other is limited ammo). So, as I said, oscarolim's answer was based on simple misunderstanding, he was arguing a point Isane4un was not making.

So it seems! Highlights the importance of full sentences!

o7

Greetings Commanders,

Just a quick update for you about the recently released AX Fighter.

Yesterday we released the AX fighter, a new experimental weapon that is meant to be used against the Thargoids.
Unfortunately we have identified a bug with the AX fighter's statistics that makes it effective against human targets as well as Thargoids.
The released AX fighters is currently comparable with the top end fighters in combat against humans and NPCs.
In the coming weeks there will be a stability update in which we plan to fix this bug, significantly decreasing the fighter’s effectiveness against human and NPC pilots, we will also ensure that its limited availability is improved.

We don't believe this will affect players in a drastic way, but wanted to make sure we let you know ASAP.

Thanks!

Ed

It is a reasonable nerf and I expected it to happen.

Because creating a huge game like this is easy and human beings are perfect so they never make mistakes... right?

To be fair, the 'we might hopefully fix it in a couple of weeks' is weird. I really wish FD would be a bit more open why it is impossible to hotfix stuff, it seems trivial in cases like this.

Erm..

Sorry, what i mean by this is that it don't have utility slot. Like chafs, heat sinks, PDT. It is only weapons. So this fighter is very easy to kill by most NPC. It simply can't be OP and by this simple fact is well balanced.

Last edited:
Sorry, what i mean by this is that it don't have utility slot. Like chafs, heat sinks, PDT. It is only weapons. So this fighter is very easy to kill by most NPC. It simply can't be OP and by this simple fact is well balanced.

but it's OP'nes was no problem in PvE, aka vs. NPC.
they nerf it, because its OP in PvP.

55 DPS kinetic damage is like 30% more then the Condor, and 35% more then a G5 Overcharged C4 Multicannon ->

especially when the current PvP meta seems to be focused around Thermal resists,
and the fighter was never meant to be effective against human ships to begin with.

maybe the error with FDEV is, that the outfitting interface tells us (and obviously to their internal QA tester) only a fraction of the story.
SLF damage is given as pure DPS - no damage type displayed

other weapons damage is always just a number and the most prominent damage type
eg. Plasma Accelerator is listed as "Absolute" but it in reality it does 60% absolute, 15% thermal and 15% kinetic
or Railguns are listed as "thermal" or "kinetic", but in reality they do 50% thermal and 50% kinetic damage

Top Bottom