News AX Fighter Changes Notification

Heh, called it as well. It's been pretty obvious that AX weapons are supposed to be useful only against thargoids, not human ships. The AX fighter was an anomaly. Glad I decided to wait a few days before giving it a try, it sounds like it was quite the amazing little ship.

Bingo. AX not being effective against human ships is consistent with how they've implemented the rest of AX weaponry.

I'm personally not a huge fan of the fact that AX weapons are *only* useful against aliens and regular weapons are *only* useful against humans. I would have preferred a bit more overlap so you don't have to use super-specialized loadouts to fight 'Goids, and and if you have to fight humans while specialized for Tharg-hunting you wouldn't be so completely declawed. But that's another discussion. :)
Exactly what I was thinking! Pirates will always try to steal your thargoid hearts. I think! Maybe! Wont they?
Rep ++

edit: Seems strange to think a .50 cal slug can hurt a thargoid, but bounce straight off my ol' Tshirt!

Last edited:
So nerf the fighter = thargoids adapted. Got it!

Less of a bug, more of an oversight.

In the same way that the missile damage was an oversight followed by a nerf... er, I mean thargoids adapting, and the fact that thargoids happily followed players in straight line while they were flying backwards pummeling them with missiles.

So nerf the fighter = thargoids adapted. Got it!

Less of a bug, more of an oversight.

In the same way that the missile damage was an oversight followed by a nerf... er, I mean thargoids adapting, and the fact that thargoids happily followed players in straight line while they were flying backwards pummeling them with missiles.

thargoids are still pretty dumb
like when you have cargo they want:
first they scan you, then they give a honk as a warning
then they attack.

the thing they never do in that situation, when you just turn around and high-wake out: using their EMP

just by logic, i would expect thargoids to use the EMP when you try to run away from the initial scan -
and a second time when you run away after their scan has revealed thargoid items in your cargo.

It may well be that the AX fighter is OP against NPCs and CMDRs, but it is just as useless against a Thargoid (threat 5) as the rest of the fighters are in a CZ. Engaged a Thargoid, first fighter was down in 30 secs, the second was consigned to the void in 17 secs by the Thargoid. And my NPC pilot is Elite. I'm not impressed by this fighter.

It may well be that the AX fighter is OP against NPCs and CMDRs, but it is just as useless against a Thargoid (threat 5) as the rest of the fighters are in a CZ. Engaged a Thargoid, first fighter was down in 30 secs, the second was consigned to the void in 17 secs by the Thargoid. And my NPC pilot is Elite. I'm not impressed by this fighter.

how does your SLF pilot pull so much aggro that he becomes the primary target so fast?

my SLF pilot is NOT elite and survives half an hour in combat zones, sometimes even when i don't micromanage him (maybe because is set a long range turret to fire at will together with the SLF)

but it's OP'nes was no problem in PvE, aka vs. NPC.
they nerf it, because its OP in PvP.

55 DPS kinetic damage is like 30% more then the Condor, and 35% more then a G5 Overcharged C4 Multicannon ->

especially when the current PvP meta seems to be focused around Thermal resists,
and the fighter was never meant to be effective against human ships to begin with.

maybe the error with FDEV is, that the outfitting interface tells us (and obviously to their internal QA tester) only a fraction of the story.
SLF damage is given as pure DPS - no damage type displayed

other weapons damage is always just a number and the most prominent damage type
eg. Plasma Accelerator is listed as "Absolute" but it in reality it does 60% absolute, 15% thermal and 15% kinetic
or Railguns are listed as "thermal" or "kinetic", but in reality they do 50% thermal and 50% kinetic damage

How the hell the worst fighter choise for PvP (Taipan) can be better than Condor? ?

The top 1 fighter for PvP is GU 97. Now this one is really OP. Really.

Nerf pls?

Last edited:

Aren't the fighter's best deployed against a thargon swarm?

Aren't the fighter's best deployed against a thargon swarm?

They are good for distracting the swarm(think of them as mobile chaff) , if you need practice with the flak cannon. With the Basilisk or a lively Cyclops they just get shredded. So their best use is to supplement the damage of your AX weapons, and it's probably better to think of them as a 5th AX weapon

The overpowered AX fighters are super fun to fly against human ships(+1 to dakka dakka) but I think we all knew they were going to be changed(boo hiss)

The fighters were exposed to the full fury of the Thargoid. I ignored the swarm, trying to complete a scan on the Thargoid, but it turned red before I could complete it. Must have been the Sensor Fragmetns I had on board, funny thing is the Thargoid did not seem to scan me before it went berserk.

Greetings Commanders,

Just a quick update for you about the recently released AX Fighter.

Yesterday we released the AX fighter, a new experimental weapon that is meant to be used against the Thargoids.
Unfortunately we have identified a bug with the AX fighter's statistics that makes it effective against human targets as well as Thargoids.
The released AX fighters is currently comparable with the top end fighters in combat against humans and NPCs.
In the coming weeks there will be a stability update in which we plan to fix this bug, significantly decreasing the fighter’s effectiveness against human and NPC pilots, we will also ensure that its limited availability is improved.

We don't believe this will affect players in a drastic way, but wanted to make sure we let you know ASAP.

Thanks!

Ed

Can you please please please just let the thing be as effective as the Condor's MCs against non-alien targets? I really want an MC Taipan.

Alternatively, you could make the described changes to the AX Taipan, but ALSO just add in a regular MC version.

Last edited:
when can we actually expect this to be FIXED ? especially the seeding, including galnet article that tells WHERE to get them.

Can you please please please just let the thing be as effective as the Condor's MCs against non-alien targets? I really want an MC Taipan.
can i please please please get an AX Missile version of the condor then?

Greetings Commanders,

Yesterday we released the AX fighter, a new experimental weapon that is meant to be used against the Thargoids.
Unfortunately we have identified a bug with the AX fighter's statistics that makes it effective against human targets as well as Thargoids.
The released AX fighters is currently comparable with the top end fighters in combat against humans and NPCs.
In the coming weeks there will be a stability update in which we plan to fix this bug, significantly decreasing the fighter’s effectiveness against human and NPC pilots, we will also ensure that its limited availability is improved.

We don't believe this will affect players in a drastic way, but wanted to make sure we let you know ASAP.

Thanks!

Ed

Ed this is a mistake. The AX fighter is currently already a downgrade from the top end fighters. And particularly useless vs other small ships and fighters, with no utility mount defense. If you make it useless vs human ships, then slotting it will leave SLF mounted ships with AX weapons with virtually no offensive-defense capabilities vs human NPCs and human gankers, to an even greater degree than they already are.

The AX1 fighter is already well balanced as a glass "cannon". It does roughly same damage vs NPCs, has poor agility making it harder aim its slow velocity kinetics, is a sitting duck in PVP, and no defense vs NPC making them die much more quickly in CZs etc.

Last edited:
At least add Multicannon Taipan to the game goddamit..

Can we have something for FUN? Or is it not allowed in Elite Dangerous?

Last edited:
At least add Multicannon Taipan to the game goddamit..

Can we have something for FUN? Or is it not allowed in Elite Dangerous?

YES PLEASE. Do want. I like the MCs as a fighter weapon, but do not enjoy the Condor. Are any of the other fighter loadouts even exclusive? Was it even intentional for the Condor to be the only one with MCs? If it's because fighter MCs are too strong and the Condor's unfortunate flight model is there as a balancing factor, then why does the Condor have duplicates of all the other loadouts? Wouldn't they then be too weak on the gimped-for-MCs Condor?

The whole situation is confusing and annoying.

Greetings Commanders,

Thanks!

Ed

What a disappointment. So it turns out to be useful in an unintended way and you call it a bug and want to “fix” it? Shame. Those new weapons should have been useful throughout and made it so players would have incentives above a niche within a niche mechanic. It shows a clear misunderstanding of balance within a multiplayer environment as well as another lost opportunity.
Bad call fellas. I’ll go get one and enjoy it until you break it again.
Just tested it. That’s nice. It’s a fixed, multicannon Taipan. That’s all. Ruining it is a real eye roller.
For those that say it’s in line with the rest of alien junk mechanics it’s because the exclusivity of those mechanics is what is the junk. The only bug is the one in the brain (or brains) of those who thought it would be a good idea to do the new gear the way they have.
Game is niche and now they wish to lick their work to a subsect within a minority and consider any utility outside threir linear and narrow description to be a bug...

Last edited:
What the heck is the problem with the Condor? It is far more manouverable than the Vette, Cutters & Taipans.
Plus it has a far smaller wing span than that Imp fighter stuff.
You just need to learn how to fly that neat little beast.

Who the hell uses fighter MC's if ya can get Plasma Repeaters?
If a SRV is strong enough for these fun punch guns then the condor too.

Oh wait you fly with mouse and keybaord? now i understand the problem /sarcasm off/

Repeat Rule of development No. 2, a bug is a bug is a bug, you can't do everything right and if you do
someone still complains.

BTW. No. 1 is bugs are for debugging. As the LT would say :p

/okay now sarcasm and humor really off, for at least the next 2 seconds/

I personally don't see any problems with this. In fact, I already thought this would happen when I heard the AX Taipan was effective against human ships too. Truth be told, this was an oversight that shouldn't have happened and it should've been communicated where you can buy them too.
In any case, the AX multis weren't effective against human ships, so why should the fighter be? Call me naive, but that's the conclusion I got to.

As a side note, the Taipan is an awesome fighter for PvP and PvE. Please make a multi cannon version of it!

Top Bottom