AX Restoration tactics

The new stealth mission with the revenants is pretty cool, but more often than not, the data port I need to download data from doesn't exist. Is it just me? This is after restoring the power and the game wants you to download some data from a HAB building.

I put up an issue here if you're affected too.. https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/59399

Edit: Renamed the thread since it went an entirely different direction.

Last edited:
I think these are awesome missions, really challenging and fun. I didn't see this issue yet but the mission did fail to trigger the next objective for me on the first I did, after activating the power.

Hopefully they can iron these bugs out but mission bugs are sort of a thing in EDO :D I'll create a bug report when I can.

Edit: And yes, I think these deserve a StealthBoy guide, so that's coming soon :)

Dude, as soon as I "figured out" the mission I was like, StealthBoy is gonna love these hahaha.

:D

Yeh they're very much Stealth essential, although the first one I did manage to kill all of the reventants. But it's way too much work to bother with (might be fun in a team though as your team mates could use the dominator suit). The way you have to approach these is unique to each settlement type too.

The only issue with these missions is the settlements that are situated on bad terrain. If you cannot land the ship anywhere near yet out of the 800m agro range then these are really pretty much impossible to egress from safely as you cannot recall your ship and get it to actually land to pick you up again (and leaving it without dismissing it is a surefire way of losing your ship).

But I think I'm just going to write these settlements off and not do missions to them. You can't even use the return to orbit thing as the mission doesn't complete and resets.

The only thing I think they should change with these is to allow the ship to land just outside the settlement without getting seen by the revenants (so the area that's always "flattened" to accomodate the settlement). This would make this mission work in any settlement, irrespective of the terrain. That or rework recalling the ship for AX settlements so the ship will land in that flat region; in this case, you could still egress with a strong enough ship (and it would be pretty exciting too). This really does spoil these missions. Just not an issue on planets that aren't really bad for landing, though.

Last edited:

Yeh they're very much Stealh essential, although the first one I did manage to kill all of the Reavers. But it's way too much work to bother with (might be fun in a full team though).

The only issue with these missions is the settlements that are situated on bad terrain. If you cannot land the ship anywhere near yet out of the 800m agro range then these are really pretty much impossible to egress from safely as you cannot recall your ship and get it to actually land to pick you up again (and leaving it without dismissing it is a surefire way of losing your ship).

But I think I'm just going to write these settlements off and not do missions to them.
I had good success with a shielded Krait and a Scorpion SRV; I land about 1 or 1.5 kilometres away, and ride to the settlement in the SRV after dismissing the ship. Also taking care to park the SRV a good amount of distance away from the settlement so it doesn't get walloped, like 600-700m.

When I'm done I drive the SRV a good distance away and recall my ship. If the SRV does get attacked and exploded (which happens, the range on those Revenants is absurd for vehicles, you'd think they had an agenda), I just sprint away as much as I have patience for and recall the ship. The Revenants will attack it, but they can't even get through its shields before I've left the system.

I had good success with a shielded Krait and a Scorpion SRV; I land about 1 or 1.5 kilometres away, and ride to the settlement in the SRV after dismissing the ship. Also taking care to park the SRV a good amount of distance away from the settlement so it doesn't get walloped, like 600-700m.

When I'm done I drive the SRV a good distance away and recall my ship. If the SRV does get attacked and exploded (which happens, the range on those Revenants is absurd for vehicles, you'd think they had an agenda), I just sprint away as much as I have patience for and recall the ship. The Revenants will attack it, but they can't even get through its shields before I've left the system.
I can tell you with much certainty that the Revenants make short work of a shieldless sidewinder

Yeh, this is how I did it but this one settlement was literally located on the side of a mountain. Nowhere to land at all within 6-10k (probably more, it was really bad).

I was able to land right by the settlement and dismiss (and then had to sprint to a rock and hide so the revenants would give up trying to kill me :D) but getting the ship to land again after I'd completed the mission was a hard pass and it wasn't having any of it, no matter how flat the surface was by the settlement. I had to abandon it.

I think these settlements generally are just bad for any mission where you need to land away and approach quietly. From now on I'll just abandon them on sight and pay the fine (100k power generator ftw) and then just never take that settlement mission again. I don't know though, I just think FD could do with toning down the revenants agro range so you could at least land on the perimeter of the "flat zone" safely and then dimiss your ship to avoid the Thargoid ship (and allow you to recall it there as well). It'd still be a very cool experience, with less faff.

Last edited:

Yeh they're very much Stealth essential, although the first one I did manage to kill all of the Reavers. But it's way too much work to bother with (might be fun in a team though as your team mates could use the dominator suit). The way you have to approach these is unique to each settlement type too.
You can shoot them all? We got stuck on the planet and stood as long as we could but they just kept getting dropped off by scouts.

Interesting, we always had an interceptor circling and the scouts come with a huge punch now.

So I tried one of these... I overflew the settlement and got shot at by the revs. So I flew off a bit and it was hard to find a place to land as the settlement was on the side of a mountain.

After I disembarked with the scorpion, I had a frameshift anomaly and then spotted a flower, I immediately sent the ship off and as it left, I got EMP'd. Recovered and watched the flower circle for a bit, it seemed to be ignoring me so I closed on the settlement.

Another frameshift anomaly... Thought I saw a scout flying around but it was high so I wasn't sure. I snuck up on a rev, targeted it and took it out with a missile. Nobody seemed to notice. Okay, I worked my way in and about 3 revs went red and headed after me. I took out another with the missiles, but couldn't seem to hit them with the missiles even though I had a lock. Tried to hit them with the blaster thing, seemed to do no good, all of them were swarming after me so I did the brave sir robin and ran over the side of the hill. They stopped chasing me and I reloaded and crept back. This time the scout came near me, I tried to hit it with the missiles and it ignored me and flew away. Then another frameshift anomaly. Another scout.

Closed with the revs knocked out a couple more, got them chasing me, this time they seemed to keep coming. The revs don't seem to do much damage, but they did get my shields down. They were spitting some kind of caustic goo at me but were not very accurate. Then one of the scouts attacked me I in got a couple of hits with the missiles, sprayed it with the gun and had no effect that I could see.

Then I blew up.

Nice.

An NPC scavenger shoots my ship a few times and the shields drop and does major damage. I hit the scout with 2 missiles and spray it pretty good (with the most inaccurate weapon since a fart in a windstorm)... Nothing.

I really am not sure I want to try anymore of these. Revents, scouts, flowers... Not sure how a solo player is supposed to survive. I would likely have to forget the srv... But even if I kill all the revs, I still have to run the gauntlet of scouts and interceptors when I leave.

Do they attack my ship if I leave it on the ground?

An NPC scavenger shoots my ship a few times and the shields drop and does major damage. I hit the scout with 2 missiles and spray it pretty good (with the most inaccurate weapon since a fart in a windstorm)... Nothing.

I really am not sure I want to try anymore of these. Revents, scouts, flowers... Not sure how a solo player is supposed to survive. I would likely have to forget the srv... But even if I kill all the revs, I still have to run the gauntlet of scouts and interceptors when I leave.

You cannot get rid of all of the revenants, a scout will come and dump 4-5 more every so often.

They will attack your ship on the ground and they will attack your srv.

Scouts will wax your ship pretty fast when you call it back. Even if you run afield. The interceptor will also attack. If its just the interceptor attacking, not quite as bad. If its a scout, your ship is toast and then so you are left to a slow gasping death.

You cannot get rid of all of the revenants, a scout will come and dump 4-5 more every so often.

They will attack your ship on the ground and they will attack your srv.

Scouts will wax your ship pretty fast when you call it back. Even if you run afield. The interceptor will also attack. If its just the interceptor attacking, not quite as bad. If its a scout, your ship is toast and then so you are left to a slow gasping death.
That's what I pretty much figured, but I didn't factor in the scouts sudden boost in abilities. I figured from the start you'd have to go full stealth, I'm wondering if you'd be best just avoiding combat all together.

I know that most games demand a suspension of disbelief to play them, but this mission really stretches that. I mean, what's the purpose of sneaking behind enemy lines to power up a station for? When you do, does the cavalry appear to defend it? The mission would be more interesting if, when you powered up, the base defenses would take down the thargoids, leaving a thorn in their side. The fact that the defenses don't attack anything but the commander who just powered them up is typical FDev nonsense, even more so when factor that they won't shoot the goids.

The mission would make more sense if it was, "I need this data from the command center, go power up the settlement and retrieve the data logs from the settlement so we can review them and come up with better defenses". But no, its "Oh, by the way, while you on your vacation, could you swing by the store and pick up some tanning lotion? Maybe a six pack of beer..." The data is an afterthought.

One thing I liked about doing the restore missions is I had the option of using the SRV to clear them if I wanted, or I could get up close and personal, either way, it was fun. We'll have to see, but it looks like these will just locked into one way. Likely if you attack with the ship you'll get hit with endless waves of zombies, a mechanic that I can't stand, and the SRV will be a non-starter, particularly with the fart cannon on the scorpion, as we already know you'll be hit with both endless waves of revs and scouts.

I just can't see doing many of these, a couple to say, "Yup, I completed one"... I am getting tired of restore missions as well, it seems like they aren't dropping many mats, most lockers are empty and manufacturing instructions are hard to come by, even as mission rewards. All I need is a couple of different data types and I am tired of not getting anywhere with this. Engineering has always been a botched part of the game, foot based is the worst.

I know that most games demand a suspension of disbelief to play them, but this mission really stretches that. I mean, what's the purpose of sneaking behind enemy lines to power up a station for? When you do, does the cavalry appear to defend it? The mission would be more interesting if, when you powered up, the base defenses would take down the thargoids, leaving a thorn in their side. The fact that the defenses don't attack anything but the commander who just powered them up is typical FDev nonsense, even more so when factor that they won't shoot the goids.
I had thought this, too. Hey, we get the power on and turn on those turrets and that's our reward for being successful (aside from the payday). Nope. The turrets were already on and did nothing. Only did two of these. Both at the same place. 1 success, 1 loss due to scouts. Interceptor fire was actually tame, though the auto landing ship really does play it safe and slow. Get to the ground already, your getting shot.

I had thought this, too. Hey, we get the power on and turn on those turrets and that's our reward for being successful (aside from the payday). Nope. The turrets were already on and did nothing. Only did two of these. Both at the same place. 1 success, 1 loss due to scouts. Interceptor fire was actually tame, though the auto landing ship really does play it safe and slow. Get to the ground already, your getting shot.
I noticed that they were still on in a restore I did in a thargoid recovery system. While it makes sense that they would have their own power, it makes no sense that they don't fire on anything but you!

I hate the slow landings as well. I recently powered up a base and had to fight off some recently arrived scavengers, hit a base defense, then had the base, scavengers and the navy attack me. I recalled the ship after driving a few km to an area that was pancake flat for miles, except for as an area of rocks over a km away... Can you guess where the ship landed? I ended up dismissing the ship because the SRV, when it wasn't ricocheting of the rocks was getting stuck. It had 25% hull as it jumped out.

One thing that pleasantly surprised me was the lack f hyperdictions on the way in and out. I figured they'd wear you out with them. That in itself would have made these missions a nonstarter. As it is, I really can't see doing these much. The maelstroms stuff doesn't interest me either. The object at the center is huge, what's the point? Its was bigger than a capital ship. How are we supposed to fight that? I know, we'll tissue sample it to death!

The whole thargoid war is starting to be annoying to me, might as well do something else. In game or out.

One thing that pleasantly surprised me was the lack f hyperdictions on the way in and out. I figured they'd wear you out with them. That in itself would have made these missions a nonstarter. As it is, I really can't see doing these much. The maelstroms stuff doesn't interest me either. The object at the center is huge, what's the point? Its was bigger than a capital ship. How are we supposed to fight that? I know, we'll tissue sample it to death!
I seem to get hyperdicted every time, and seemingly chain interdicted along the way.

Don't even get me started about sampling to death.

I seem to get hyperdicted every time, and seemingly chain interdicted along the way.

Don't even get me started about sampling to death.
Awesome... I guess my mission was bugged? LOL. Well, that seals it. I really have gotten over being hyperdicted multiple times in a system. I guess I'll do something else until 16 drops... I hate that there is no way around the hyperdiction, it seems more of a waste of time. It's like back in the old days when you were getting interdicted left and right. It got old real fast.

You can shoot them all? We got stuck on the planet and stood as long as we could but they just kept getting dropped off by scouts.
On my first try, yes (and then the mission bugged and didn't progress past the power reg :D) but on the next try I saw the interceptor drop off more and thought "yeh, I'm not doing that any more" and that's when I immediately adopted full stealth mode and it became pretty clear that this was the intended design. This obviously made me very happy :D

As a stepping stone towards full on Thargoid on foot content (and I hope this is that), it's a really good effort from ED and I'm looking forward to trying out the various military settlement types. They also pay very well for on foot missions (still a big annoyance of mine from EDO is how poorly on foot missions pay across the board). I don't need the money but I still think missions should pay a good amount and most on foot missions pay trash. The material rewards for AX missions are also really good (always 5 of everything it seems).

I was using a G5 Exe which would two shot them (sometimes one shot though, maybe if you hit their core it's like a head shot?) but it's a bit faffy as they are difficult to hit once they start moving about; you absolutely can use cover to strafe and shoot and it did work OK for me (ignoring the reinforcements, can't keep up with that if it's infinite). As they have no shields, I was going to try out a G5 AR-50 to see how that worked and maybe even the Karma L-6 for fun to see if that would actually one shot them :D Ammo is never an issue as there's infinte available around these settlements, so it might actually be quite fun. But yeh, as they keep dropping more and they only pay 25k per kill, it's really not worth the effort if you just want to finish the mission.

So I will probably just stick to full on stealth and they're surprisingly blind when you're on foot. In theory, in a team you could have 1-3 dominators running about keeping them busy while one mav did the work and that might be fun?

So I tried one of these... I overflew the settlement and got shot at by the revs. So I flew off a bit and it was hard to find a place to land as the settlement was on the side of a mountain.

After I disembarked with the scorpion, I had a frameshift anomaly and then spotted a flower, I immediately sent the ship off and as it left, I got EMP'd. Recovered and watched the flower circle for a bit, it seemed to be ignoring me so I closed on the settlement.

Another frameshift anomaly... Thought I saw a scout flying around but it was high so I wasn't sure. I snuck up on a rev, targeted it and took it out with a missile. Nobody seemed to notice. Okay, I worked my way in and about 3 revs went red and headed after me. I took out another with the missiles, but couldn't seem to hit them with the missiles even though I had a lock. Tried to hit them with the blaster thing, seemed to do no good, all of them were swarming after me so I did the brave sir robin and ran over the side of the hill. They stopped chasing me and I reloaded and crept back. This time the scout came near me, I tried to hit it with the missiles and it ignored me and flew away. Then another frameshift anomaly. Another scout.

Closed with the revs knocked out a couple more, got them chasing me, this time they seemed to keep coming. The revs don't seem to do much damage, but they did get my shields down. They were spitting some kind of caustic goo at me but were not very accurate. Then one of the scouts attacked me I in got a couple of hits with the missiles, sprayed it with the gun and had no effect that I could see.

Then I blew up.

Nice.

Yeh, generally speaking I don't think these missions are intended for combat, at least not solo. It's just way too much effort.

The mountain settlements, for me, are just a hard pass now. I won't be attempting them any more and will just abandon them on sight, take the 100k hit (and pocket the power reg) and never return to that settlement again (time to get Excel out again to make another list :D). This mission type just doesn't work well at all with bad terrain.

On another settlement, the terrain was great. Plenty of landing space just outside of 900m and down a slight slope, so the defelade protected my ship on ingress and egress. The settlement was the high-walled type so I could approach in my SRV and remain undetected right up to the walls, to leave it there and then finish the mission without getting seen once by the revenants (they are very blind to on foot players, you need to be pretty close and in their cone of vision for them to see you).

I get the impression this is the game loop FD intended with this mission. It's a shame proc gen terrain can ruin it frequently. Ideally, you want one of those planets which is mostly flat and you can just plan your SRV approach so it's unseen, or just leave it 800m out and approach on foot. It realy does come down to the terrain; if you cannot land your ship without it getting shot at then I don't think you're going to be able to get back onto it when the mission is done as it just sits there, hovering above you while it gets destroyed by the revenants.

You know what we really need? Recalled ships that cannot land should still be boardable and you can get underneath the hovering ship. At least then you can do a hot ingress and egress and it'd actually be pretty fun, I think.

Last edited:

Then I blew up.

Nice.

You complete this mission by:

1.) Keep the vehicle far out of range or behind good cover. 600M or more away for the SRV. I'd stay KM's away with the ship. Dismiss the ship as soon as you are off.

2.) Stop attacking the revenants. They will simply be replaced by an incoming Thargoid vessel. If you keep killing them an interceptor will arrive and remain on patrol. Stealth is the key. Only kill one if you are certain you need to get rid of it and kill as few as possible. Get what you need and get out.

3.) Speed. Make sure the ship you are taking in has insane velocity. You're going to face hyperdiction and interdiction and very few AX combat ships come with SRVs inside. I use my AX science Clipper since it does have an SRV and while un-shielded it's got enough hull armor to take some beating if needed. It does however easily escape common hyperdiction and interdiction and leaves most interceptors in the dust at 600M/s

You complete this mission by:

1.) Keep the vehicle far out of range or behind good cover. 600M or more away for the SRV. I'd stay KM's away with the ship. Dismiss the ship as soon as you are off.

2.) Stop attacking the revenants. They will simply be replaced by an incoming Thargoid vessel. If you keep killing them an interceptor will arrive and remain on patrol. Stealth is the key. Only kill one if you are certain you need to get rid of it and kill as few as possible. Get what you need and get out.

3.) Speed. Make sure the ship you are taking in has insane velocity. You're going to face hyperdiction and interdiction and very few AX combat ships come with SRVs inside. I use my AX science Clipper since it does have an SRV and while un-shielded it's got enough hull armor to take some beating if needed. It does however easily escape common hyperdiction and interdiction and leaves most interceptors in the dust at 600M/s
I had figured that out... On reflection, I'm just not interested in doing these missions as they are setup right now. There is no point in doing them. They provide nothing that standard missions do, sounds like material hunting is not something that is worth doing on them and the repeated hyperdictions are annoying. I'd rather play solitaire than be repeatedly hyperdicted.

So I will probably just stick to full on stealth and they're surprisingly blind when you're on foot. In theory, in a team you could have 1-3 dominators running about keeping them busy while one mav did the work and that might be fun?

That was my take-away. The more you agrro them, the more agitated their movement and the more they seem to stay tightly packed in the area they were bothered in. The stuff they launch is not so much a missile as a bag of explosive sticky goo. It lands and sticks nearby and then explodes. The explosion will knock out G5 shield and they all will shoot those at where they think you were last. At first I kinda laughed it off, then when a couple throbbing bags landed behind the rock I was taking cover behind, I was like "oh s@#t". That was a cool moment of realization.

If you kill off the reinforcements after the first wave then it looks like you are going to be facing a patrolling interceptor that does not leave and is glued to your position so you can't get any real distance from it to recall your ship. I had to sprint to my ship while it was being disassembled by that Interceptor. Lucky for me it was a Cyclops and the armor held respectably.

Stealth is the way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom