Bad Business - Consoles, Rebalance, Earnings

It would be bad publicity and business ignorant to Not do a console release, which brings in a lot of revenue - which is the bottom line, literally.. Not to mention would be a Huge blow to trusting FD in the future...

I'd be hesitant to ever buy another FDev game if they can't get it together. That already screwed up with Fleet Carriers Release, and in-game price is still ridiculous! The smart thing here would have been to Sell them for Real Money - anyone who doesn't play constantly can't afford one, and it undermines all the effort spent developing them! What a Waste!

And the last "Rebalance" of in-game Earnings, no doubt pushed by long-time gamers who no longer invest financially in the game, was also lunacy. Making it even harder for new players to earn/outfit a decent ship was a very poor (pi) business decision. I know many who left then... And it was bad for people, such as myself, who prefer mining, commerce, and non-violent means of making Credits! Mining Should be the most lucrative over looking for bounties... We don't want crime and killing for money to be the future. Besides, no-one would commit so much crime with the price of ships - and you shouldn't be allowed Insurance if it are in the midst of criminal acts. Poor "rebalance".

No Odyssey in Consoles would be Bad for Revenue, And Trust in FD in Future Endeavors!

Cheers,
Kalvak
o7

I'd be hesitant to ever buy another FDev game if they can't get it together. That already screwed up with Fleet Carriers Release, and in-game price is still ridiculous! The smart thing here would have been to Sell them for Real Money - anyone who doesn't play constantly can't afford one, and it undermines all the effort spent developing them! What a Waste!

Yes...balance, sell things for real money!

I thought the most recent rebalance, while nerfing some of the most extremes of mining income, actually made combat earnings worthwhile? Or are people upset that you actually have to think about where you’re flogging your mining haul to make the megabucks, rather than flooding the nearest economy with an over-abundance of supposedly rare and valuable minerals and sailing into the distance on your fleet carrier?

Edit: and that’s not even getting into the ugly practice of selling in-game progression for real money, when did pay-to-win become fashionable?

1631353603571.png

Carriers are a only a 'nice to have' and anyone paying real money is going to be disappointed. Anyway, the whole game is based around having long term goals and that's why the majority of us started and continue to play it.

Earnings are also fine if you know what you're doing but saying we should go back to mining...? This has always been a space combat game, ever since 1984 with the first Elite. Other activities are possible but asking for combat to not play a significant role is asking for a wholly different game. That's before we consider the huge profits that can be made by trading commodities, so it is already possible.

I'm also fine with Odyssey not being on console until it's fixed on PC. Better to work on that first and then bring a nicely working game to console.

Last edited:
And it was bad for people, such as myself, who prefer mining, commerce, and non-violent means of making Credits!
That's not true. The highest current earning rates in-game at the moment are from non-violent activities. And mining can still earn multiple hundreds of millions of credits per hour if done right.

Bad for people who can't adapt to change, sure. If you try to follow "make money fast" guides for old mechanics, then you'll find that Seeking Luxuries is not the earner it used to be, too.

But as with every "rebalance", the maximum earning rates only ever go up.

I made enough credits to buy my FC in about 2 weeks at Robby Mines, i still stock up on credits there along with materials, no pew pew required.
Just outfit a shieldless Python and its seriously still easy credits.
The issue with a two route purchase system (in game items bought for real money or in game currency) is that most company's would make the later a real pain in the backside to encourage a real money purchase.
I really dont see the small grind for 5billion credits for something that is not really required as much of an issue, its just a nice goal.
Fly safe

To address the Console issue it wouldn't be bad if they never released it for that platform (im sure they will) as it brings its own issues.
Cross platform hardly ever works, just look at ESO, the game was designed on PC, Alpha/Beta all PC but you knew their goal was an eventual release for console.
Months down the line a console release and guess what, all console players complained because they couldn't compete with PC players.
PCs can do far more with a game than a gloried toaster ever can and in my experience games are dumbed down and hindered in attempts to make them compatible.

Fly safe

Making money trading over the past 2-3 months - hundreds of millions
Making money doing mining expansion missions (just buying the goods) over the past 2-3 months - hundreds of millions
Making money with pirate massacre missions since feb - hundreds of millions.

I have all the ships, a fleet carrier and twenty billion in the bank. And before February this year I'd only just got a Corvette in 5 years of playing.

What earnings nerf?

And for reference, my Elite NPC pilot (trained from Harmless, on 10% fee) has earned 3.3 billion off me.

That already screwed up with Fleet Carriers Release, and in-game price is still ridiculous!
Indeed, they are a bit on the cheap side. Everyone and their dog can afford one if they put their mind to it and leaving one or two billions in its bank will keep it around for at least a year.

I just consider them rentals. The initial 5 billion (plus outfitting) are merely the security you need to put in so you don't "accidentally" lose it. You'll get most of that back when you cancel the contract (minus a fee for cleaning). The weekly 15-25 millions are profits for the rental company, minimum wage for the crew, depreciation on the vessel and general wear and tear. Moving it adds some for fuel and maintenance. Sadly, they forgot to hire a stoker to shovel fuel from the cargo hold to the engine...

Back in the days on Earth, the U.S.S. Gerald R. Ford cost about $13 billion to build (no refunds) with running costs of about $2.5 million a day plus some $90k per aircraft launched, if I read my internets right. And still it could only operate on water, not space, and didn't store an infinite amount of ships without adding to its weight.

Oh, wait, you're in the "carriers are too expensive" wing? :)

Last edited:
Making money trading over the past 2-3 months - hundreds of millions
Making money doing mining expansion missions (just buying the goods) over the past 2-3 months - hundreds of millions
Making money with pirate massacre missions since feb - hundreds of millions.

I have all the ships, a fleet carrier and twenty billion in the bank. And before February this year I'd only just got a Corvette in 5 years of playing.

What earnings nerf?

And for reference, my Elite NPC pilot (trained from Harmless, on 10% fee) has earned 3.3 billion off me.
The people that did not get in on the 400-750M an hour we had for the better part of 18 months are just a bit salty. It is a bit funny to
be complaining about earnings when it is trivial to reliably make 100M+ an hour in game doing trade, mining, stacked pirate massacre, or stacked passenger missions? Yeah, so not really feeling any sympathy there for anyone. 400-750M+ an hour was a bit much, and we made do with a lot less for the first few years after launch. Though I suppose I should disclose that while my first 20B took years, my second 20B took a couple months at 500m an hour doing mapped mining runs. So maybe I don't have a right to laugh over the mining profit correction.

They do appear to be abandoning the current gen consoles. Not sure if that is a good move or not. I imagine Fdev knows what the ROI on that is. It certainly appears to suck for current gen console owners, and it definitely does not foster confidence.

It would be bad publicity and business ignorant to Not do a console release, which brings in a lot of revenue - which is the bottom line, literally.. Not to mention would be a Huge blow to trusting FD in the future...

And the last "Rebalance" of in-game Earnings, no doubt pushed by long-time gamers who no longer invest financially in the game, was also lunacy. Making it even harder for new players to earn/outfit a decent ship was a very poor (pi) business decision. I know many who left then... And it was bad for people, such as myself, who prefer mining, commerce, and non-violent means of making Credits! Mining Should be the most lucrative over looking for bounties... We don't want crime and killing for money to be the future. Besides, no-one would commit so much crime with the price of ships - and you shouldn't be allowed Insurance if it are in the midst of criminal acts. Poor "rebalance".

No Odyssey in Consoles would be Bad for Revenue, And Trust in FD in Future Endeavors!

Cheers,
Kalvak
o7
Odyssey on console isn't canceled, it's just on hold until it's worth releasing.

Odyssey CAN'T release in this state on console. It's not because they don't want to, it's because Sony/M$ will never accept it.
The minimum configuration is barely enough as it is, and we all know that it's not enough. Sony and M$ don't release games that make their consoles look bad with poor FPS.

They are forced to fix the game to be able to release it on console. They don't have a choice in the matter.

Top Bottom