Balance concerning low ranked players in big ships (Naval rank rant)

It has come to my attention after the release of 3.0, that there are certainly more players with either the cutter or the corvette, given the changes they made towards mission rewards and the reputation gain with the corresponding federation or imperial navy ranks many of these players which have invested so little time and effort into the game shouldn't be in possession of those ships. It feels wrong in the eyes of anyone else who has done and invested the time in a non exploitative way.

How is it possible to see, harmless or competent ranked players with such ship?. As someone who has served in the military just feels absurd.

A seaman or an officer cadet should never be given a ship because of his inexperience, rank and time served. Nor he or she should be promoted to Admiral by just playing messenger and never delving into combat, which is why the navy rank system is a badly implemented.

Changes should be made so that Missions that contributes towards the gain and levelling of naval ranks are exclusive to military related activities, Massacre missions, Assassinations, and such. I also believe that the best way to effectively deal of the issue with new players getting the big ship is to lock the Corvette behind a high combat rank, and the cutter behind a higher trading rank and lower combat rank, and both ships alongside the naval rank accordingly.

Edit: Corrections made.

Last edited:
Well the whole naval rank thing is meaningless and devoid of content. FD should either add some interesting and challenging missions/content for ranks, or scrap it.

I don't see any point in making people 'work' more to get ranks when its not fun. If the ships need to be more exclusive, raise the price.

Well the whole naval rank thing is meaningless and devoid of content. FD should either add some interesting and challenging missions/content for ranks, or scrap it.

I don't see any point in making people 'work' more to get ranks when its not fun. If the ships need to be more exclusive, raise the price.

That would only work if frontier ever manages to "balance" the rewards across the board, be it missions or other activities.

Last edited:
The last time I checked I had to pay for a rank-locked ship.
We can’t become members of the navy, we become members of the navy auxiliary.
Ranks in the Navy auxiliary isn’t based on ability, but on social status - like the way it was in many armies/navies before 1900.

Players in this game have no influence, are just mercenaries who can buy surplus spaceships after having worked enough fore a super-power.

Even in RL, combat isn't a prerequisite for rank. This is just a game. There are rules that we can follow or just whine about. The op will probably hate my two newest alts. ;)

01.jpg

02.jpg

It has to come to my attention that persons without requisite rank are posting on this forum, how is it that "mostly harmless" players are allowed to post willy nilly? I think that you need to have a higher rank before you are allowed to post.

That would only work if frontier ever managed to "balance" the rewards across the board, be it missions or other activities.

I used to be hard to save up millions of credits, now FD give them away by the cannister. I don't know why they decided to blow out the rewards for everything, but then again I don't understand why they allowed engineering to give such excessive benefits to ships.

Their philosophy seems to have degenerated into quick sugar hits for the kids.

The last time I checked I had to pay for a rank-locked ship.
We can’t become members of the navy, we become members of the navy auxiliary.
Ranks in the Navy auxiliary isn’t based on ability, but on social status - like the way it was in many armies/navies before 1900.

Players in this game have no influence, are just mercenaries who can buy surplus spaceships after having worked enough fore a super-power.

That's a convenient explanation, but I think the truth is that FD have done near-zero work on naval ranks.

Even in RL, combat isn't a prerequisite for rank. This is just a game. There are rules that we can follow or just whine about. The op will probably hate my two newest alts. ;)

That is understandable if you've gained it in the first place, I don't have an issue there.

Imagine if right from Day 1, Frontier made it that you could only pursue Fed or Empire rep, so you had to make a conscious choice on what end game ships you wanted. (Rather than just maxing out both)

Being max rep in both factions is just stupid. You're an American AND Russian politician at the same time? Crazy!

Sure haven't we all sailed close to the sun, over extended, melted our wings, and been sidewinded to bankrupt plus 1k?

I suppose a case could be made to have unique ships unlocked by the Pilots Federation when you reach Elite in each area. The ships could be optimized for the rank which would unlock it.

But, the OP thinking the current Big3 need to be symbols of high combat rank? LOL

No.

Sure how about those bid capital city ships being made available to only triple elite (and very very rich) commanders? Imagine having your own docking capable ship to run a faction from? That would be immense!

I suppose a case could be made to have unique ships unlocked by the Pilots Federation when you reach Elite in each area. The ships could be optimized for the rank which would unlock it.

But, the OP thinking the current Big3 need to be symbols of high combat rank? LOL

No.

"Current big 3"... I'm talking about the corvette and the cutter.

Like the OP, I too served in my country's military and again like the OP, I feel the entire rank progression totally absurd, stupid in fact!

Never once in my 30+ years in uniform was I once fronted to my Commanding Officer and told "Right, Personnel have advised me that you have now met the prerequisites for promotion - Well Done! But before I can give you the promotion you need to go and kill some civilians ......."

Yeah love it when people try to use RL when explaining a computer game ... :D

First, reducing the grind in this game is a good thing and I'm happy for the people who were able to take advantage of it. I did it the long way and am not the least bit upset that others were able to do it quickly for two reasons: I'm not a special snowflake and I think the grinding need a serious reduction.

I do agree that naval ranks should require some sort of military service and not just hauling data or other mundane activity.

I think you are taking yourself a little too seriously. It's a game, mate. Your military rank doesn't mean anything here.

Who says I'm taking it seriously? I'm saying the Naval Rank needs some work. I invested quite some time to get my corvette, just to see a bunch of newcomers get it in a day and then complaining they can't fight in it, there is clearly a bad progression gap for certain players.

Top Bottom