Balance the fighter launched AI please !

The way the AÎ use the ship launched fighter is really dumb right now, unlike the NPC who use a better codding when fighting.
I say / wrote this because, sadly, one of the most important, basic settings for the fighters are missing ! And that is the command / order of the DISTANCE of engagement !
Most games where the human player can "order" an NPC to assist in fighting include this option - fighting range, usually with 3 options:
1 - stay near (fight close to me)
2 - stay at medium distance
3 - stay at range.

I found myself frustrated over and over with my dumb AI pilot who go chasing a ship at 25+km - a ship who is no threat AT ALL for me on that moment - and in the same time, I get my ship punched by several other NPC.s at 500m of me ! If I recall the idiotic AI, the muppet get killed, since he will just turn tail and will not perform any evasive maneuvers when returning to "real action".

The AI of attacking NPC.s are way better on this matter - all of you know those situations when you engage a wing or even 2 of NPC.s and you focus one of them, that one will turn tail and retreat, and on mid time others will try to get in your six. If you get "tunnel vision" like the AI running the ship launched fighter, you will get your hull smashed by those other NPCs who will hit you from behind.

I learned to ignore the "running away" NPC and instead to open fire in the closest, and more dangerous target, since this is the way to win the fights in a big, slow ship like the Vette when you fight several NPC.s at once; I have no problems at all in engaging 2 strong wings of NPCs at the same time ( a Conda and 2 medium/small x 2 ) - since I always target the smaller one first and usually I kill them fast in only few seconds BUT I confess I am tired to watch my dumb fighter chasing a Cobra at 25km away from me and in the mid time must fight alone 5-6 NPC.s !

In the beginning I was thinking once they "graduate" to "expert" or "elite" level, they will become, someway, a bit "smarter" , and if is true they do better at killing, they still engage in useless chase, ignoring the real threat.

I wish the Devs. give us an option to control the fighting range, to allow us to control the fighting range - because right now, even with an elite NPC pilot in your ship, you may found yourself fighting alone... cuz your fighter is busy on the other corner of Galaxy chasing ghosts...

I don’t know if it helps but on PS4 I have three commands mapped to the controller, using R2 + dpad; attack my target, defend mothership, and return to hangar. I find that if my SLF pilot has got a bit excited, though that only usually happens in big fights like CZs where they can take aggro from multiple enemies, ordering them to return to hangar gets them to come back to the mothership fastest. I can issue another order to cancel the docking procedure when they’re close. Other than chaotic tangles in CZs with many ships dancing about I’ve never noticed a problem with them getting wanderlust so far unless I’ve made a mistake with issuing orders.

It might also be the rank of your SLF pilot, I’ve heard there’s a massive difference once they reach Expert.

I have 3 of them, 2 expert one elite, all ranked up from novice... same behavior all, sadly; when I order them back they get killed...and yes this occurs also in CZ...not always, but since I stay an hour in CZ, normally, this occurs at least once / hour...

Sure I know that, but when that target flees at 25 km, I do not want him to follow him 25 km !
Usually I just let him buzzing around and engaging at will, but he gets carried out of the mothership range he is supposed to protect...

Sure I know that, but when that target flees at 25 km, I do not want him to follow him 25 km !
Usually I just let him buzzing around and engaging at will, but he gets carried out of the mothership range he is supposed to protect...

Well, it's your fault entirely.
You give them an order and they follow it to the letter. Thats what they do.

You really need to keep a close eye on them.
I always order them to attack my target - faster kills
Also it is easier to watch them and see if someone else is attacking my SLF - so i can attack their attacker and take the heat of them

For example - on XB i only have binds for 3 orders: Artack my target, Follow me (as a disengage order), Dock.

Well, it's your fault entirely.
You give them an order and they follow it to the letter. Thats what they do.

You really need to keep a close eye on them.
I always order them to attack my target - faster kills
Also it is easier to watch them and see if someone else is attacking my SLF - so i can attack their attacker and take the heat of them

For example - on XB i only have binds for 3 orders: Artack my target, Follow me (as a disengage order), Dock.

Did you try that when you engage 6 NPC at once ? ! I bet you never did that ! Fighting multiple enemies, all faster and more agile than you, and you do not have much time to issue orders after order to the fighter... that is, if you want to win the fight...

Lol you are wrong, you imagine I fight only 1-2 NPCs at once, but I use a fighter because I usually engage 3-6 opponents at once, so I do not have the "luxury" to give specific orders each time he picks a target, when I need to focus defending myself from other 5 ships ! And again, I use him in a Vette, and that is NOT a ship to chase other smaller & faster ships, right ?

"You give them an order and they follow it to the letter. Thats what they do." -

And here you are totally wrong, again: I give them no order aside of defending the ship, and that is what the fighter DO NOT DO, if he chases an enemy at 25 km and let me alone to fight the other 5 who swarm my ship at 500m - 1km ! So not only he Does NOT obey "to the letter" the order, lol, but quite the opposite !

That is why I feel the need to have an option to control the range where the fighting (defending the ship) take place. The SLF do not use strategic approach like the other NPCs use - I wrote that here , a damaged NPC will make a strategic "run away" and if you fall on the "tunnel vision" syndrome, the other NPC from his wing will get in your six and hit you from behind... you realize, I hope, in such situations one MUST analyze and decide the PRIORITY target, right ?

I just wish the SLF do the same, because right now, this is missing. The NPCs wings have some strategic behavior exhibited, the SLF do not.

Last edited:
Bind "attack" command and press it each 5s. Such often press will do extra bonus too, AI will do things like FA-OFF flips (which they don't do in regular) which will almost double killing speed.

Well, how do you lose fighters then ? Cuz I lose also 2-3 in the process but NEVER when they fight near me and almost always when they go crazy on the other side+ of the Galaxy...
I say that because I save my fighter skin always when he gets in trouble and ask for help BUT he is still under 2-4 km of me.... but if he asks for help, and he is at 20km distance, I cannot run there and help him, so he dies...

Well, how do you lose fighters then ? Cuz I lose also 2-3 in the process but NEVER when they fight near me and almost always when they go crazy on the other side+ of the Galaxy...
I say that because I save my fighter skin always when he gets in trouble and ask for help BUT he is still under 2-4 km of me.... but if he asks for help, and he is at 20km distance, I cannot run there and help him, so he dies...

Well then you just have to wait for another SLF to assemble and launch your NPC again, nothing lost if you can keep the mothership alive in that time. Unless you’ve got a class 6 hangar with two SLF available. I believe they removed the NPC permadeath a while back.

I’ve just done several low-CZ per nigh over the six day CG in Ackwada in Solo, in my Keelback, and I lost maybe three or four fighters total.

Well then you just have to wait for another SLF to assemble and launch your NPC again, nothing lost if you can keep the mothership alive in that time. Unless you’ve got a class 6 hangar with two SLF available. I believe they removed the NPC permadeath a while back.

I’ve just done several low-CZ per nigh over the six day CG in Ackwada in Solo, in my Keelback, and I lost maybe three or four fighters total.

Correct, but in a CZ every loss on your side counts as a win for the other side - including the SLF
IIRC a low CZ is won/lost after 7 kills - if you contribute to those kills by letting your SLF die 3 times - then you better not use the SLF in a CZ

Correct, but in a CZ every loss on your side counts as a win for the other side - including the SLF
IIRC a low CZ is won/lost after 7 kills - if you contribute to those kills by letting your SLF die 3 times - then you better not use the SLF in a CZ

Fair point, I wasn’t aware of that thanks! Fortunately for me I haven’t noticed the OP’s issues though that isn’t to say they haven’t as well. I think I only lost a few fighters through the whole CG and only lost one CZ, and that’s with an NPC I’m training up who was at Novice when I started it.

Also, if you fancy yourself a fighter pilot and you trust the NPC with the mothership (especially if they’re a decent rank) you can switch roles and fly your fighter back into formation yourself I think? Can be useful sometimes I hear (though I prefer to fly the mothership) because NPCs have ludicrous aim with fixed weapons at Expert and higher!

Also, if you fancy yourself a fighter pilot and you trust the NPC with the mothership (especially if they’re a decent rank) you can switch roles and fly your fighter back into formation yourself I think? Can be useful sometimes I hear (though I prefer to fly the mothership) because NPCs have ludicrous aim with fixed weapons at Expert and higher!

That's how i level my NPC crew through their first levels - i put them in a strong combat ship - and send them against wanted npc in a nav beacon or in a high res
While i stay in the SLF and watch the fireworks :D

I have a rebuy cost near 50 millions on my Vette, I am a bit afraid to let the NPC to run her, tough... even if is graduated Elite... Do you think guys is a good idea to let this NPC to run an expensive ship 2-3 minutes when you are dealing with 4-5 opponents NPC.s ?....

Yeah the slf pilots are about as sharp as a dull spoon, solution is to not let them make decisions.

So both "defend" and "engage at will" are so useless they shouldn't exist.

What you do need is "form up" and "attack my target".

This way they stay close and don't up and pull hostiles your way.
Even in cz's.

Attack target = Target & Kill Target I specify
Defend Ship = Target & Kill 'Highest Threat' right now....if that ship flies 25km away you need to tell it again, but do it at 5km not 25km.
Engage at will = Target & kill one ship of your choice, then another, then another

I have a rebuy cost near 50 millions on my Vette, I am a bit afraid to let the NPC to run her, tough... even if is graduated Elite... Do you think guys is a good idea to let this NPC to run an expensive ship 2-3 minutes when you are dealing with 4-5 opponents NPC.s ?....

i've seen my SLF crew piloting my mining rig (think it had a mix of lasers and mining tools - abrasion lasers, mining lasers, seismic and subsurface charges)
Well, she was throwing everything at that npc pirate including abrasion and charges - and actually hitting with them.
Was a blast to watch the fireworks, but it wasn't so funny when i had to resynth ammo for the mining stuff :D

Top Bottom