Barcelona Zoo buildings

As soon as I knew that we were able to build our own buildings on this game, the first thing I wanted to recreate are different buildings from my local zoo. I tried to build something during the beta but without any success, but now I tried again and finally I have been able to create something ;)

So many buildings to create... but as the first building that everybody see when visiting a zoo is the entrance, I decided to start with the entrance. Barcelona Zoo has two entrances, but as I always use the same, I decided to create that one.

It was my first big building and it contains some design mistakes, but I'll update it.

It is available on steam workshop:

I have many other building to create from that zoo, one already created, but that I'll show later ;)

Last edited:
The biggest current project at Barcelona Zoo is the new Sahel area, with exhibits mainly for elephants, giraffes and lions. It started with some temporary improvements, specially for elephants, but if I'm not wrong, the first species to have a fully new (not temporary) exhibit were the giraffes. Their exhibit have a new modern shelter that although looking modern, it perfectly fits on the natural environtment that surronds the exhibit.

When recreating it, I had to modify some parts of the building to adapt it to the game. For example, all the access doors to the indoor area are wider, to allow giraffes to get in. The real one have a narrower access points.

The real shelter have a observation window on one side, but I decided to don't include it by default, as it is a window that unless you build an elevated path on that side, can't be reached by guests ;) Anyway, it can be easily created just removing the wooden cover, as behind it there are glass windows.

This shelter is not only for giraffes, it is also the home of gazelles (and a spurred african tortoise). I decided to create a detailed indoor area, as much close to the real one but also making it functional. The side doors of the shelter can only be accessed by smaller animals, like gazelles. The central part can be accessed by giraffes and other animals.

If you like it, you can find it at the workshop:

Last edited:
I really like the Entrance-Building and the Indoor-Enclosure for the Giraffes.
If you decide to build the Gorilla-Enclosure too, there should be a white Gorilla inside 🙃

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Nice to see the night stables for the giraffes at Barcelona Zoo. I think this is the first time I see such a good recreation of an zoo stable in Planet Zoo. (y)

Now I come with my favourite place of the zoo, as is where I usually spend more time taking photos. The "Terrari" (Terrarium or Reptile House) was opened in 1972 and houses a collection of reptiles and some amphibians. In the past, it had a quite diverse amount of crocodilian species.

It is a building with three floors. The ground level floor is used as a warehouse and have other staff facilities. In this version, the ground floor is empty and there's an access point just under the main access stairs, so you can fill this space with electricity generators or other facilities. The second floor is the one that contains the public part, with all the terrariums. You can find many terrariums at each side and at the center. It was impossible to represent it excatly as the real building and keep the terrariums functional, but I think I managed to get something quite close ;)

The third floor is not represented in this version, as is also a private space only for zoo staff (and for "school groups"). In front of the main facade you can place food/drinking stores.

Attached to the main building there's a greenhouse. I decided to leave it empty, so you can customize it. The real one have three exhibits for crocodiles and a path that goes from the second floor to the ground level, but there's not enough space to represent it in the game if I want to keep the proportions with the rest of the building. That's the main reason to leave it empty. In the past there was a balcony on the second floor. So, feel free to open a hole on that wall to connect both spaces and create your own exhibit inside the greenhouse ;)

The building it a bit ugly, but I couldn't avoid to recreate it for the game, as is one of the most important buildings of the zoo. Hope you like it ;)

You can find it on my workshop:

The biggest sculpture at the zoo is a big fountain with a lady holding an umbrella on top. This fountain was created in 1884 for the 1888 Barcelona Universal Exposition that took place in the current Ciutadella Park. Later, most of the buildings were demolished and the zoo was build on those lands, so now this fontain is inside the zoo premises.

I decided to recreate this fountain but making the lady would be too complex for me, so I decided to replace her by a dodo, which looks fine anyway ;) If the original is called "La dama del paraigua" (Dama means lady), I named this one "El Dodo del Paraigua":

20191220155608_1.jpg

20191220155625_1.jpg

Yes, but at this moment I'm not recreating the entire zoo. I just have a sandbox map where I create all the buildings that I upload to the workshop.

At this moment I'm working on updating the Terrari (reptile house). All the interiors will be renewed to be closer to the real ones. The external "greenhouse" will be greatly improved too.

After this, I plan to update the Zoo entrance.

For the reptile house I'll keep the old version and upload a new one, as the amount of pieces for the new one will be much higher compared to the old one. FOr the entrance, I still don't know but I'll probably just update the current version, keeping only one version on the workshop.

New look for the "greenhouse", now much more closer to the real one (but at a much higher piece count cost ;)):

20210301124641_1.jpg

I know him. Last weekend we were at the zoo taking some photos for some of our recreations ;)

My buildings are not at the exact scale, as I try yo make them functional and adapted to the game requirements (the minimum 4 meter path width makes me adapt the scale on some buildings). Usually they are at about x1.5 the correct scale. He is making a much more exact recreation of the buildings, keeping the correct scale. I'm sure that we will find a building were we can work together, but for now we are just sharing ideas and some building parts ;)

Now the indoor part looks more like the real one:
View attachment 211251
View attachment 211250

Main structure is almost finished and now I'm mostly adding details and adjusting some parts.

Te ha quedado muy bueno eso, fabuloso. Me gusta la manera en que capturas el momento en completa oscuridad. Ahora lo que te falta es la posibilidad de usar tu propias imagines en el juego, para crear todas las areas informativas que son muy importantes en este tipo de edificios zoologicos. Muy bueno.

I've published the new version of the reptile house. It is a new download, so if you had the former one and want to upgrade, you'll need to subscribe to this one. From outside there are not so many changes, except on the greenhouse, which has been almost completely rebuilt. Most changes are on the internal structure, to create something much more closer to the real one.

Some pictures of the new version....

General building:

20210306225340_1.jpg

Food stands section has been rebuilt to give them the current look:
20210306224815_1.jpg

Greenhouse exteriors. Exit from the greenhouse is only decoration:
20210307103812_1.jpg

Greenhouse balcony (not in the current real building, but was there before the last remodelation)
20210307104222_1.jpg

Indoor side terrariums:
20210307104151_1.jpg

Indoor small terrariums (some are just decoration):
20210307104052_1.jpg

Indoor central terrariums:
20210307104203_1.jpg

You can find it on my workshop. Hope you enjoy it:

Top Bottom