Barycenter Asteroid Field

Something I don't recall seeing much, a system asteroid belt around a barycenter of two stars, I'm sure it's not the only one but I don't recall seeing another myself, are they common?

QM6D6HP.jpg

As you can see it's also quite a large asteroid belt, for comparison our own asteroid belt is only 4% the mass of the moon and this one is over 5 moon masses, so possibly quite large as these things go.

I do not remember that I met it. But I remember the system map of the Colonia. Somewhere in a procedurally generated systems there are similar asteroid clusters?..

I do not remember that I met it. But I remember the system map of the Colonia. Somewhere in a procedurally generated systems there are similar asteroid clusters?..

Yes I certainly don't expect this to be the only one, but it's not something I have previously been looking for, it stood out being so far out from the actual stars and being so large.

it stood out being so far out from the actual stars and being so large.

The planets are very close to the stars, the asteroid belt has a semi major axis of 0.74 AUs, in the Sol system it would be near Venus (0.72 AUs). The farthest BC planet has a semi major axis of 0.23 AUs, that's 59% of the distance from Sol to Mercury.

The planets are very close to the stars, the asteroid belt has a semi major axis of 0.74 AUs, in the Sol system it would be near Venus (0.72 AUs). The farthest BC planet has a semi major axis of 0.23 AUs, that's 59% of the distance from Sol to Mercury.

Yes that's a good point, although it is still a very massive asteroid belt for it's size then.

I came across one such system on my trip to Colonia, that's one in >2500 systems visited on that trip. Found it extraordinary enough to make a screenshot as well, maybe I remember to attach it later :rolleyes:

Edit: Here it is, Kyloalks FT-O d7-2420
Kyloalks FT-O d7-2420 AB cluster.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom