Newcomer / Intro Basic Trading - Noob question

Hi all,

Complete noob to this game, only started yesterday... Have so many questions :eek::eek:, but for now just this very basic one!

So, I've bought some commodities, but through lack of experience :S:S, I didn't take a note of where or how much I paid... is there a good system for this or is there a place in game I can find a statement of my transactions so I can see what I paid and where?

[smile][smile]:)

The game won't easily tell you where, but at any commodities market, if you have cargo in your hold you will be able to see (in the right hand column) how much you paid for it.

Hey, thanks for the reply...

You say 'won't easily', does that mean it does, somewhere?

I've had a look in the station commodities list I'm in atm, but it only shows the galactic average in the right hand column, can't see what I paid? am I missing something?

:)

You say 'won't easily', does that mean it does, somewhere?

I don't think it does, no, but I'm not in game so can't check :)

I've had a look in the station commodities list I'm in atm, but it only shows the galactic average in the right hand column, can't see what I paid? am I missing something?

See example I've highlighted on an old screenshot here - you have to have the row for the particular item selected:
tNUkYZF.jpg

When you click to sell that item, it'll display how much profit or loss will be made for that transaction before you decide to complete it or not. Generally if you bought it in a market that had supply and sell it at a market that has demand then you'll profit. Not always true but just generally.

Edit: what that guy said

Thanks both :)
Hadn't seen the scroll down bar on the commodity box you kindly hightlighted!

Thanks both for the info! much appreciated!!!

Off I go to try find a good place to sell :)

I agree, trading is a mistake early in the game. You really need larger ships to leverage in to make money.

In the early game I would recommend pirate hunting at NAV points. This will make you money and polish your flying and fighting and outfitting skills. I would not consider trading until I was at least past my first million credits. 10 million in assets would be better.

I am sure it is technically possible to trade and advance in the very beginning of the game, but I doubt it would be very fun. If you don't want to fight, I would stack courier/cargo/data missions at Stations instead.

Yeah, trading isn't very proftitable in small ships. You're better off with missions, like boom time delivery missions. You can also try bubble exploring, like explained here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/392068-The-Bubble-Explorer

Also, if you want to get into trading, the best way to find a viable trade route is to search an internet database. Best bookmark this site:
https://eddb.io/

There's also an update on trading information coming which is currently in the beta.

Since I am at it, here are a few more sites you might want to bookmark as well:

https://inara.cz/ - basically the character sheet for your commander and also an excellent database. You also find Wings (player groups) there.
https://www.edsm.net/ - online galaxy database
https://coriolis.io/ - ship builder for piecing together your new ship and preview cost before buying. Also exports to Inara.

Fly safe. o7

While it is true that small ships can't earn much in terms of gross amounts, the cheaper items (that players who have been around for longer will tend to ignore for higher absolute profits) will actually give a much higher percentage return on investment.

Trading early in the game is a perfectly valid approach, as are many other options, and which is fun will depend very much upon the individual player. Yes, there are other activities will earn money more quickly, but the game (like life) isn't all about money, despite what many seem to think :)

While it is true that small ships can't earn much in terms of gross amounts, the cheaper items (that players who have been around for longer will tend to ignore for higher absolute profits) will actually give a much higher percentage return on investment.

If you are in solo, that won't matter anyway. Stuff does not get depleted by other players in solo.

Trading early in the game is a perfectly valid approach, as are many other options, and which is fun will depend very much upon the individual player.

I do not doubt it is possible. But new players are already going to be frustrated with the huge learning curve of this game...trading in a small ship is not fun for most people and certainly not profitable. There are other low risk activities that are better.

Yes, there are other activities will earn money more quickly, but the game (like life) isn't all about money, despite what many seem to think :)

I think a lot of new players (not all, but certainly the vast majority) start with trading because it's easy. I don't think most of them do it because it's fun. I started with trading simply because I didn't know how to do anything else, and it was easier than missions (trading has no timer).

Stuff does not get depleted by other players in solo.

I think it does, doesn't it? The supply and demand belongs to the background servers, and therefore applies to all platforms (PC, XBox, PS4) as well as to all modes (Open, private groups and Solo). The content of the mission board may be quite different if you switch modes, but the availability of commodities is persistent across all modes. A good example is if you're playing a Community Goal in Solo. You'll find that markets run out of the CG commodities because CMDRs in other modes and on other platforms have been buying those commodities. Or so I believe.

I think it does, doesn't it?
I've never seen anything depleted unless I depleted it. That includes commodities, missions...anything. I play in solo 98% of the time.

The supply and demand belongs to the background servers, and therefore applies to all platforms (PC, XBox, PS4) as well as to all modes (Open, private groups and Solo).

The supply and demand is not real time. And we know for sure that supplies are artificially replenished even in Open. I've never seen any evidence if depletion in solo.

The content of the mission board may be quite different if you switch modes, but the availability of commodities is persistent across all modes. A good example is if you're playing a Community Goal in Solo. You'll find that markets run out of the CG commodities because CMDRs in other modes and on other platforms have been buying those commodities. Or so I believe.

The rules may be different for community events. I can't comment since I don't participate in those. I am only talking about regular commodities. There has never been a time when I have seen evidence of depletion. For all intents and purposes, it appears like a single player game.

I don't see a problem with trading. There are much MUCH faster ways of making money sure but it's a good way to pootle around the bubble learning the game. There's no rush to earn lots of money, do what you enjoy!

If you are in solo, that won't matter anyway. Stuff does not get depleted by other players in solo.

Yes it certainly does - usually the player demand is well below the restock rate so you don't notice it - go to a trade CG however and you will soon see that solo has the same reduction of available stock as other modes.

The only exception to this are the Rare Goods - whose supply, restock and availability is determined per commander.

As soon as you are comfortable making trips of 160Ly or more there is a way to boost trading that is something referred to as Rares trading, there are some stations at places such as Lave or Leesti where there are stations that sell a product that is unique to that station these products are only available in small quantities but if you sell them 160Ly or so away from the source you will make around 15-20 thousand credits profit per tonne. There is information about races on the forum and at least one website listing stations and prices and quantities as well as suggesting profitable routes.

Yes it is. There is a refresh "tick" in markets.

Something like 10-15 minutes, at least for rares.

Personally, I'd forget about trading in the beginning of the game. Have a look at this and see if it's more fun. Turn your volume right down because it spontaeously increases, like shouting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY8mr7L9LbM&t=1s

Forget trading at the beginning? That was how I got all the cash I need to get a T6 for more trading and then bought an Asp Explorer for exploring. I am currently back into trading and going for Elite in it.

Trading might not be the best way to get money right out of the gate though. If you like combat, you can get a good chunk that way or by doing missions. Or you can do the passenger missions. You might also try out exploring. You can make some good cash that way. I just made over a trillions creds doing it. Yes, that's right, a trillion. granted, I was gone for 6 months and went completely around the galaxy! Well worth it in my opinion!

The rules may be different for community events. I can't comment since I don't participate in those. I am only talking about regular commodities. There has never been a time when I have seen evidence of depletion. For all intents and purposes, it appears like a single player game.

CGs are regular commodities and they are affected across platforms and modes.
EDDB works for solo too.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Top Bottom