Be honest everyone. Who will most likely purchase the Python MkII..?

That is not what I kickstarted this game for.
It probably isn't - but then, kickstarting a project has inherent risks that the product will not end up being exactly that which one thought they have backed.
When I first heard about this I said as much as a knee-jerk reaction. This time around I have had plenty of time to digest what has been proposed (I say that like there is even a chance that this won't go ahead) and ultimately came full circle back to my original conclusion.
Careful consideration is always a good thing.
I see the argument "Don't tell me what I can do with my money" a lot. It is yelled apparently with the assumption that their actions occur in a vacuum with no affect on others at all. That is simply not true. If you buy into this then FDev will do it more and game design decisions will be influenced by it. History has clearly shown this. That affects MY game not just yours.
Ah, now we are getting onto a very emotive and thorny issue. It is a multiplayer game, the actions of others, particularly with the BGS being influenced by every player, intentionally or not, will affect your game, it is in the very nature of MMO play. FD introducing new, and better, assets into the game, regardless how it is executed, is going to affect your game either directly or indirectly. It really matters not, in the grand scheme of your game, if they are selling them to me today, or in 3 months, surely?
Don't get me wrong I am well aware that I am talking to a wall.
A wall listens, but never responds...
This kind of monetization works because it preys on the weaknesses of human beings. Those that have declared that they will buy into this have no doubt spun a story for themselves to justify why this is all OK.
This is plainly offensive to others, do you truly believe that only you have any mental fortitude, or morality?
For shame...

Just watching Burr Pit's review of the Mk2 and he says the cash equivalent of the pre-order comes to around 15 quid. Accepting that it comes with paint jobs and ship kits, paying 15 quid just to get in 3 months early is... questionable.
Actually you get the early access only for the 16250 ARX. If you want ship kit and Paintjob with it, you have to buy the prebuilt version for 33k ARX.

I've got the ARX, I'm happy to pay (at the right price) but after seeing it's specs ...

On a scale of 1-5 where 5 is "buy now" and 1 is "avoid", I've gone from -
4 - "I'll see what others can do with it first but yeah, I most likely will".
to
2 -"I'll see what others can do with it first but yeah, I most likely won't".

FDL/Mamba PvE comparisons were made well before we knew the specs, so I personally should have paid more attention to that. But Arf also said in a stream it might replace his Chieftain, so I was hoping for the ability for more hull, such as would be used in AX combat, Titan or CZ's. I know some folks are taking FDL's for Titan bombing but I take a Python; the internals allow for mega hull and repairs unlike the FDL so I can spend an extended time in there. That's clearly not the case at first glance* with the Python Mk2 and I doubt the heat could be kept low enough either. Not bothered by the Python moniker (look at the Krait's) but this did make me hope for more internal slots for HRP's.

I really hope there are plenty of people who want the Python Mk2, who can use this more than I can/would, but I'm not really a PvE player; I have very little interest in it personally. I'm not a fan of the FDL or Mamba for my gameplay. Shame, it looks awesome, it's shiny new, but at first glance not for me.

I also really hope the new A class SCO's are not going to increase the straight line instability along with the jump range in comparison with the C class. That most certainly won't get me to buy a Python Mk2 either.

*I really want to get this thing in EDSY :p

Hi All :)

I looked in on a couple of video streams last night concerning the Python Mk 2, I didn't see any information regarding the domed structure on the top of the ship behind the cockpit. Was there any information regarding this, or is that structure just a graphical feature of the ship with no particular use?
Jack :)

I won't get it despite playing non Odyssey it won't be available. Bad Fdev
Legacy is in stasis, it will only get any attention if it breaks (possibly) so any new shiny is going to be denied to it.
At least it still exists for the players who, for whatever reason, do not play 4.x Live, which I know is no compensation for the lack, but, in truth, FD could have let Legacy run for a year then dropped it, I don't honestly know which would be the most sensible approach to the situation.

I looked in on a couple of video streams last night concerning the Python Mk 2, I didn't see any information regarding the domed structure on the top of the ship behind the cockpit. Was there any information regarding this, or is that structure just a graphical feature of the ship with no particular use?
A couple of good bits of Tinfoil on ricardo's stream, but nothing more than, "it looks interesting" ;)

Probably just reactor or FSD housing. That is, no gameplay purpose, just an aesthetic greeble with a lore justification🙂

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
How would top speed and manouvrablity compare with say the mamba?
Dropped you a PM as I can't post the clip on the forums, I was a little bit, erm, too excited :D

Btw nice and informative stream yesterday. thanks for sharing. 🙏(y)
No worries! I'm back on Friday, just also got access to dev alpha of Starship Simulator, so gonna showcase that too.

Oooh, look at Mr. Fancy Pants over here! Oooh, look, i got access to the Python early. Oooh look, what a lovely ship it is.

Yeah yeah, go on, rub it in.

grumbles
Sorry not sorry :D

Legacy is in stasis, it will only get any attention if it breaks (possibly) so any new shiny is going to be denied to it.
At least it still exists for the players who, for whatever reason, do not play 4.x Live, which I know is no compensation for the lack, but, in truth, FD could have let Legacy run for a year then dropped it, I don't honestly know which would be the most sensible approach to the situation.
Yeah @Rat Catcher I agree , but you also know me by now 😉. The wording could have been better or even specific as there is only 1 other mode 4.0 . And I will always have a little hope that we can get something and whilst I know it's annoying to most of the 4.0 and EDO folk it's more of a hey Fdev we are still hanging on . And with the amount of issues we have been having in legacy I'm sure our hamster is no better than myself these days old confused and forgetful .

Hi :)
A couple of good bits of Tinfoil on ricardo's stream, but nothing more than, "it looks interesting" ;)

Probably just reactor or FSD housing. That is, no gameplay purpose, just an aesthetic greeble with a lore justification🙂

Ah, ok. thanks (y)
Hmm, I was hoping it was a practical feature that had a purpose with some new gameplay, access hatch or something along those lines.
Edit..Oh, yes another observation on one of the streams, was there a new 'variation' of the Diamond Back Explorer?...or did I get the wrong end of the stick? :unsure:

Last edited:
Yeah @Rat Catcher I agree , but you also know me by now 😉. The wording could have been better or even specific as there is only 1 other mode 4.0 . And I will always have a little hope that we can get something and whilst I know it's annoying to most of the 4.0 and EDO folk it's more of a hey Fdev we are still hanging on . And with the amount of issues we have been having in legacy I'm sure our hamster is no better than myself these days old confused and forgetful .
The announcement could definitely have used a proofread pass from someone else in the office. However, in the nicest possible way, I suspect FDev would much rather drop Legacy and focus on the live game, than expend resources supporting an out of date product. What is preventing those clinging to Legacy from upgrading to the latest version?

Consoles.
Very valid point... shows how much coffee I've had this morning. I often forget Elite was available for consoles as I haven't used those platforms for over a decade.

Perhaps FDev should more officially encourage console players who want to continue with the latest version of the game to move their account to PC and utilise gaming streaming services such as GeForce Now?

Fdevs inability or unwillingness to work with the next gen rather than last gen . And also those who bought next gen before EDO split who can't or won't buy a gaming PC and whilst geoforce is available it ain't great. Starfield runs better just .

This is plainly offensive to others, do you truly believe that only you have any mental fortitude, or morality?
For shame...
I understand why you say that but this has nothing to do with ego or "self righteousness" no matter how much it might sound like it. I choose not to buy into this as I believe it is the best course of action for both myself and the group. Not just myself.

Ultimately people will think what they want to think and will interpret what they want to interpret. I have had my say that's all I can do and I can also state that my intent is not to offend anyone. However, I can not make the point I wanted to make clearly without calling the spade a spade.

The new python has 4 big guns.
Isn't it time to add guns to other ships?
For example, add two medium guns to the mamba instead of two small ones?

Hi :)

Ah, ok. thanks (y)
Hmm, I was hoping it was a practical feature that had a purpose with some new gameplay, access hatch or something along those lines.
Edit..Oh, yes another observation on one of the streams, was there a new 'variation' of the Diamond Back Explorer?...or did I get the wrong end of the stick? :unsure:
The tinfoil was actually EVA, but it's both unlikely that they'd put that on one ship and not the other and that this feature would come without an expansion, since that also needs gameplay attached.

The DBX was another prebuilt package. Can't say what it is about though, as I didn't pay attention, not interested in any of the packages.

Top Bottom