Ships Beam lasers - thermal overload question

Apologies if there's already an answer to this, I haven't been able to find it.

Quick question, then:

I have beam lasers. I like beam lasers, I have my reasons, I'm not looking for anyone to persuade me otherwise right now. Engineering my distributor can help minimise the wait time whilst they cool down from the thermal overload, and I'm going to get that sorted soon (off to have a chat with Etienne Dorn once I've got the right mats).

But is there anything else that can help? Does engineering the lasers to reduce thermal load have an impact, or is that purely affecting the ship's overall heat? And can any power plant engineering make a difference?

Many thanks.

I use the experimental "Flow Control" on my beams and of course my PDs are engineered Charge Enhanced with Super Conduits. (Remember weapon "power" from your pips is actually cooling power, not energy to fire the weapon.)

I use the experimental "Flow Control" on my beams and of course my PDs are engineered Charge Enhanced with Super Conduits. (Remember weapon "power" from your pips is actually cooling power, not energy to fire the weapon.)
Flow control only reduces your power draw, not your distributor draw. You reduce your heat output only marginally that way (by the reduced power needed).
All mods that reduce distributor draw (efficient & lightweight) reduce your heat, also sturdy does reduce the heat/second directly.

Flow control only reduces your power draw, not your distributor draw. You reduce your heat output only marginally that way (by the reduced power needed).
All mods that reduce distributor draw (efficient & lightweight) reduce your heat, also sturdy does reduce the heat/second directly.

Yes but there is not an experimental that directly improves heat performance and as a PvE only guy the the more esoteric experimentals don't appeal. I had always used efficient mod but these days tend towards long-range - however I am rubbish at combat and just want to clear-up naughty interdicting pirates from time to time. 🕹

Yes but there is not an experimental that directly improves heat performance and as a PvE only guy the the more esoteric experimentals don't appeal. I had always used efficient mod but these days tend towards long-range - however I am rubbish at combat and just want to clear-up naughty interdicting pirates from time to time. 🕹
Those two (efficient and long-range) are usually the ones to go, but you need a gooood distributor for long range. Good (or even fantastic) experimentals - if you fly in PG - are concordant and regeneration for beams. You'll get new friends in Haz Res quite fast 😅

Unless, I misunderstand you, Yes you can modify your Lasers with the Thermal Vent effect. I run a pair of Class 2 Beams on a courier and can run them indefinitely. They cool themselves and the ship down (even when running Enhanced performance drives and a G5 overcharged powerplant) into the low single digits.

Unless, I misunderstand you, Yes you can modify your Lasers with the Thermal Vent effect. I run a pair of Class 2 Beams on a courier and can run them indefinitely. They cool themselves and the ship down (even when running Enhanced performance drives and a G5 overcharged powerplant) into the low single digits.
Duh... 😔
You're right of course. Thermal Vent is reducing heat directly by hitting.

..... Thermal Vent effect. I run a pair of Class 2 Beams on a courier and can run them indefinitely. They cool themselves and the ship down (.........
Duh... 😔
You're right of course. Thermal Vent is reducing heat directly by hitting.

I have always considered that to be mainly for PvP - but since SJA tells us her minions do "feel the heat" - maybe I should experiment. 🕹

Efficient thermal vent is my go-to beam mod. In itself it's pretty good. Increased damage (+24%), much lower draw (-48% power and -45% distributor) and of course heat (-60% + thermal vent bonus), which opens up the other slots for hotter weapons, such as rails. The lower draw of course also leaves more room in your build for everything else. It has a nice synergy in my builds, and in most ships allows continuous firing which is lovely.

Last edited:
there is the theory that thermal vent dissipates heat proportionally to the heat of the weapon, so overcharged would be (heat wise) the best modification to go with it, rather than efficient. i still have to test this.

anyway, efficiency is not convenience. i run thermal vent with lightweight (because reasons) and it just rocks in combination with other hot weapons, or just to run cool when you want.

I use efficient beams with thermal vent in my krait. I can fire for around 30 seconds and my ship's canopy literally freezes.
Of course, thermal vent works better with overcharged, since it's related to weapon damage.

You're mixing two thing up there. Yes, thermal vent drastically cools you down, as long as you are hitting something. But it has nothing to do with you being able to fire indefinitely. That is only because the distributor drain on your lasers is equal or smaller than your distributor recharge.

You're mixing two thing up there. Yes, thermal vent drastically cools you down, as long as you are hitting something. But it has nothing to do with you being able to fire indefinitely. That is only because the distributor drain on your lasers is equal or smaller than your distributor recharge.

he didn't say the limit was the distributor, he surely is referring to heat, which is what op is about.

I've been working on an anaconda for mining and i was having a problem with it overheating. I engineered my PD to G5 charge enhanced with the superconduits experimental. The pd apparently acts as a form of heat buffering that insulates your ship if the hardpoints are properly powered and dissipates the heat as well. In my case the extra charge enhancement made a huge difference. It went from overheating every 20 seconds to running quite comfortably for as long as I need it to mine an asteroid. The difference was only .8 mjs too. Also since your using combat lasers you can use thermal vents as has been said previously. I personally have seen a noticeable difference between efficient and overcharged thermal vents. They will both do the job though but I would go with OC if i were you. I've never actually sat down and tested it tbh.

Beams? For me there’s only one engineering approach for those: Efficient (I can only get to G3 but it’s enough) decreases power requirements, distributor draw, Thermal load and INCREASES damage. Then add the Thermal Vent experimental and you’ll be firing ‘em all day.

The Dweller is your man. Although it sounds like you’re in Colonia?

Efficient thermal vent is my go-to beam mod. In itself it's pretty good. Increased damage (+24%), much lower draw (-48% power and -45% distributor) and of course heat (-60% + thermal vent bonus), which opens up the other slots for hotter weapons, such as rails. The lower draw of course also leaves more room in your build for everything else. It has a nice synergy in my builds, and in most ships allows continuous firing which is lovely.
Thermal vent is actually less useful with efficient, as the venting effect scales with the weapon's thermal load. If it's purely the cooling you're after, lightweight reduces the distro draw without reducing the thermal load.

Thermal vent is actually less useful with efficient, as the venting effect scales with the weapon's thermal load. If it's purely the cooling you're after, lightweight reduces the distro draw without reducing the thermal load.

Interesting ... dammit, now I have to go gatherings mats again to try it ...

All true, but thermal vent has no downsides and even efficient beams have enough thermal load (especially the larger ones) for the inversion that thermal vent provides to be very useful. Lightweight also makes weapons very fragile and doesn't increase damage like efficient does.

I run lightweight beams on my Courier, but for most ships that aren't so mass limited I strongly prefer efficient.

Top Bottom