Beam weapons and squadrons

I am huge supporter of using healing beams, though I find myself at various times not able to fit into a wing because they are full.

I would still like to play a support role for members of my squadron even when the wing is full.

If members of my squadron are in a fight, or bounty hunting, it would be nice to drop in provide healing assistance to shields and utilize various limpets to make repairs.

It would also be nice if you could use repair limpets to heal modules as an option vs only healing hull damage.

I think it would make sense for healing beams to heal members of the same squadron without having to be in the same wing. Why would I want to attack members of my own squadron?

I think it would make sense for healing beams to heal members of the same squadron without having to be in the same wing.

This would be exceptionally easy to abuse and could render any fight against a squadron an extremely protracted contest, if not an outright exercise in futility.

Why would I want to attack members of my own squadron?

Sparring practice? Friendly duels? Challanges for rank advancement in some?

Being winged with an opponent breaks many aspects of combat and treating Squadrons as a giant wing at all times would be a major balance issue for opponents and as well as rendering many friendly combat scenarios unworkable within the Squadron itself.

Supports such a good role to have! My friend isn't great combat pilot but having him being able to heal shields and repair hull is good.

Problem with having squadron heals is you'll be able to really unbalance combat. Currently 4v4 is the meta and works with squadrons you could have 20 vs 5 for example. I'd be all for Frontier increasing wing size to say 6 or 8 but inter squadron battles don't really work too well in Elite.

I think it would make sense for healing beams to heal members of the same squadron without having to be in the same wing. Why would I want to attack members of my own squadron?

Caveat: I don't know how wing/instancing exactly works but...

If your squadron status allows your healing beam to heal other members then won't that effectively put you in the same wing when you are in the same instance? Wouldn't this only serve to further strain the already shaky instancing?

Heal beams are a broken piece of crap that should be removed. Isn't a damn Cutter with almost 10k MJ of shields enough already? Why breaking PvP or combat in general even further?
Don't use that stuff if you want to improve your skills, or stay a scrub in combat for ever...

Yes, looking at you 13th Legion :D

If you want to be good support ship, get yourself FSD disruptors, various effect weapons, but no heal beams please...

Heal beams are a broken piece of crap that should be removed. Isn't a damn Cutter with almost 10k MJ of shields enough already? Why breaking PvP or combat in general even further?
Don't use that stuff if you want to improve your skills, or stay a scrub in combat for ever...

Ha lol, but to be fair I've never seen the point in trying to heal a 10 KMJ shield, it's a thankless task, nothing seems to happen.

SDC has made a video some time ago where they just sit in a CZ, farming mats while being afk. Only by using heal beams on each other.
Now I ask, is that how people want to "play" the game? By using broken mechanics and shoot themselves in the foot when they come into a situation where healing is not available?
Hands off those things, and for that matter, hands off DC as well, at least in open play.
It just doesn't help you to improve in any way.

If you want to be good support ship, get yourself FSD disruptors, various effect weapons, but no heal beams please...

this is why I still think a small amount of module damage should bleed through shields, so even if they're healbeaming it'll take a toll eventually.
like have it mitigated by MRPs and unable to target specific modules, even give external modules full benefit of the MRPs as if they were internal. No benefit from resistances, but maybe from sys pips. Hell, make the inertial dampening factor something that can be tweaked by engineers so people are forced to choose between protecting their modules from the damage bleedthrough or stacking their resistances.
The reason the heat meta was such a thing is because it was the only viable way to damage some of the insane shieldtanks out there faster than they could regenerate.

4 is a small party, I wish they would increase it to 5 at least. I realise there is a balance issue here, but still 4 is not enough :)

this is why I still think a small amount of module damage should bleed through shields, so even if they're healbeaming it'll take a toll eventually.

Yeah, let's punish everyone because a few people abuse healing beams.:rolleyes:

I say nerf healing beams or remove the experimental entirely.

They just need a balance tweak ie from a PvP point of view, add heat or have a cool down that once used they cannot work for another 15-20 seconds or maybe just add a multiplier they can only heal a max of 25% of total shield value.

I've used healing beams in PvE / CO-OP (both regeneration sequence, and concordant sequence) and there is no doubt at how absurd they can be.

Being the only hardcore flight game player in my small group, I can see how lazy it makes the already super casual guys in flight skill terms. While they're not FA-OFF or even strafe players, under normal circumstances they at least know how to boost away when shields get low. But when they are receiving constant healing with no consequences, they don't even do that despite having an entire wing shooting at them from point blank range.

Give healing diminishing returns, make feedback cascade negate it, much slower heal rate while under fire, anything...

Top Bottom