Been away for 2 years, now back. Looking for suggestions of new interesting features.

As the title states, it's been on a rather long hiatus for a number of reasons but in that time i have literally not kept up with the games development, news, youtube vids, etc. I jumped back on yesterday for first to see what's changed in the interface, took my unshielded Cutter out for a spin (that was scary not knowing my control bindings got whacked!).

Anyways, should I continue where i left off which was working on fed rank currently post captain so 1 rank away from Corvette, methodically banging out the engineers 1 by 1, or something else?

In looking at the interface changes, the biggest thing that looked different to me was Squadrons. Any new gameplay there or did this make it easier to form wings if you don't know anybody in game? Or a slightly different question, what is the single greatest improvement that hit the game over the 2 years? I know that last question is very subjective.

Thanks.

As the title states, it's been on a rather long hiatus for a number of reasons but in that time i have literally not kept up with the games development, news, youtube vids, etc. I jumped back on yesterday for first to see what's changed in the interface, took my unshielded Cutter out for a spin (that was scary not knowing my control bindings got whacked!).

Anyways, should I continue where i left off which was working on fed rank currently post captain so 1 rank away from Corvette, methodically banging out the engineers 1 by 1, or something else?

In looking at the interface changes, the biggest thing that looked different to me was Squadrons. Any new gameplay there or did this make it easier to form wings if you don't know anybody in game? Or a slightly different question, what is the single greatest improvement that hit the game over the 2 years? I know that last question is very subjective.

Thanks.

I'd advise that you wait another 2 years

Thanks.
Nothing's new.

I only suggest you to go mining some void opals with the new "mining tools". When you have a couple of bilion credits (1-2 weeks should do it) you can close and play some other game. Nothing new will come anytime "soon".

Asteroid mining is genuinely better and improved, a good couple of days gameplay there.

Exploration tools are better, but somehow Frontier forgot (or skirted around) the content so you can use the Codex to find mostly uninteresting stuff. The exception to this are the Thargoid sites and Guardian ruins which again add a couple of days of gameplay.

The Krait is supposed to be a good ship but of course if you don't have the modules to transfer you're back to the same hamster wheel of Engineers.

C'mon guys, CMDR has return after 2 years of absence. For him it's as he got new game. We may be displeased with certain decisions and lack of content but for him there are few new things to try.

So... as already mentioned - mining is now legit "exploit" with Void Opals. With 1.6M top selling price per unit you can get really nice credit boost within reasonable time. Yesterday there was a thread about how one CMDR earned 1Billion after ~8 hrs of mining. I found it pretty entertaining (mining itself, placing charges, detonating the cores) and would turn space miner if actual core finding wasn't so rare. In sohrt it's 5 minutes of excitement divided with long periods of boredom.

Another thing - exploration. Two major changes; scanner was removed and it's now basic ship equipment so every ship is now capable of scanning and getting you more credits. Second major change - you now can scan entire star system from the main star - no need to actually fly to every planet to get a scan. It speeds up scanning considerably. You still are required to get close to map surface (new feature) which boosts credit income but it's only done for high value targets. So if you want to go sightseeing - try new exploration.

And last but not least - Guardian stuff. Except weapons that are grind incarnated (unlocking different versions of same weapon separately, medium fixed and medium gimballed are two different unlocks...) notable thing is FSD booster that ads flat amount of LYs to range. Really worth unlocking, especially for explorers. It takes additional module in outfitting but it is really worth.

Also - new ships. Both Kraits (Phantom somewhat made Asp obsolete), mk2 competes heavily with Python. Whole Chieftain family, new T-10 (weaponized T-9), racing Mamba.

Go, try new features, play with new ships, earn mountain of credits with new mining and wait for long announced and delayed again carriers.

C'mon guys, CMDR has return after 2 years of absence. For him it's as he got new game. We may be displeased with certain decisions and lack of content but for him there are few new things to try.

So... as already mentioned - mining is now legit "exploit" with Void Opals. With 1.6M top selling price per unit you can get really nice credit boost within reasonable time. Yesterday there was a thread about how one CMDR earned 1Billion after ~8 hrs of mining. I found it pretty entertaining (mining itself, placing charges, detonating the cores) and would turn space miner if actual core finding wasn't so rare. In sohrt it's 5 minutes of excitement divided with long periods of boredom.

Another thing - exploration. Two major changes; scanner was removed and it's now basic ship equipment so every ship is now capable of scanning and getting you more credits. Second major change - you now can scan entire star system from the main star - no need to actually fly to every planet to get a scan. It speeds up scanning considerably. You still are required to get close to map surface (new feature) which boosts credit income but it's only done for high value targets. So if you want to go sightseeing - try new exploration.

And last but not least - Guardian stuff. Except weapons that are grind incarnated (unlocking different versions of same weapon separately, medium fixed and medium gimballed are two different unlocks...) notable thing is FSD booster that ads flat amount of LYs to range. Really worth unlocking, especially for explorers. It takes additional module in outfitting but it is really worth.

Also - new ships. Both Kraits (Phantom somewhat made Asp obsolete), mk2 competes heavily with Python. Whole Chieftain family, new T-10 (weaponized T-9), racing Mamba.

Go, try new features, play with new ships, earn mountain of credits with new mining and wait for long announced and delayed again carriers.
Finally, someone who ISN'T trying to turn players off the game - seriously can't work out why people hang around a forum of a game they obviously loathe.

OP, as Shiro Akai stated, there is quite a lot that is new, you have ships to buy and test out, new exploration, mining, even trade has been improved from what you would remember it. There is also a new Docking Computer, and a Super Cruise Assistant - kind of like a cruise control for your ship when you are in SC. Don't laugh it is actually a lot handier than most think.

Just have fun, you may find you like what has been added, and if you don't, well you haven't lost anything either.

Last edited:
Hmmm, you seem to have accidentally tapped into a small salt mine here ... ignore that tho, there's some good stuff. As others have hinted, the new mining stuff is excellent and well worth a look. Check out the video from Sagittarius Eye magazine which tells you most of what you need to know ..

Another thing you'll have to get to grips with is the FSS, quite a few videos on that if you get stuck - Exigeous' youtube channel is generally brilliant for tutorials. Oh, and you'll also see megaships and installations all over the place. Hang around at these and voice acted "scenarios" will kick in where you pick a side and fight for or against the situation. Oh, and there's new space based Guardian "beacons" which are kinda awesome and well worth a look.

DeletedUser191218

D

Thanks.
My suggestion would be - try a different game and check again in March 2021.

Grief there are some miserable devils on here.

In two years? ... I'd say you're looking at all the guardian sites and modules, codex, tech brokers and materials traders, megaships, missions around them and installations (both surface and in space), travel with megaships, direct dss for biologicals and geologicals (no more blind searching) ... thargoids.

People might not see these as big as a new feature like 'landing on a planet' or 'there's an SRV now' but in the last two years a ton of spolier free content has been added. Frontier just don't make a fuss .. because of spoilers .. so maybe it's difficult for people to quote the headlines but get out there and you'll find stuff, no question.

Plenty of new interesting bugs!

On the topic, the only thing I'm doing differently now vs. two years ago is exploration. I personally like the FSS quite a lot (even if it is only 3/4 baked).

Everything else I do is pretty much the same as when I first started - I fly the same old ships, use the same old modules (except the new FSD Booster and Supercruise Assist), I do only basic engineering (though I am thankful for the changes to Engineers), etc. I mostly do missions and explore. Oh, speaking of, probably the biggest change over the last two years for me is NO MORE BEIGE-ONLY PLANETS!!! :D

ps - trading tools have also received a nice buff IMO, though I'm not a trader "by trade", LOL.

Last edited:
Plenty of new interesting bugs!

On the topic, the only thing I'm doing differently now vs. two years ago is exploration. I personally like the FSS quite a lot (even if it is only 3/4 baked).

Everything else I do is pretty much the same as when I first started - I fly the same old ships, use the same old modules (except the new FSD Booster and Supercruise Assist), I do only basic engineering (though I am thankful for the changes to Engineers), etc. I mostly do missions and explore. Oh, speaking of, probably the biggest change over the last two years for me is NO MORE BEIGE-ONLY PLANETS!!! :D

You forgot to mention, two years ago you probably wouldn't be exploring in your Dolphin (I am pretty sure you mentioned that in another thread). Well two years ago, all the SK ships still had restricted slots which made them kind of useless for nearly anything else. Best think that happened to them was the removal of said restricted slots :D

Last edited:
You forgot to mention, two years ago you probably wouldn't be exploring in your Dolphin (I am pretty sure you mentioned that in another thread). Well two years all, all the SK ships still had restricted slots which made them kind of useless for nearly anything else. Best think that happened to them was the removal of said restricted slots :D
Well, TBH I was indeed exploring in the Dolphin before that slot was unlocked (to this day I use a 4A fuel scoop), but I do agree that unlocking the passenger slots was a nice bonus. On that note, the two extra small slots on small ships have been a very welcome addition to my gameplay, as someone who prefers a small ship for most of what I do.

Top Bottom