Newcomer / Intro Beginner's elementary questions

Topic: Target window in Nav. Panel - How to Access? Resolved, Thank you. See posts below.

I'm at the Nav Panel in the cockpit and have this view:

Attachments

• EliteDangerous-Nav panel-Target Screen.jpg
    EliteDangerous-Nav panel-Target Screen.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Topic: Pausing the Sim: How?

The best I can do is hitting the <ESC> key and it takes me to the RESUME window. But from the heat still being generated by my Notebook the Sim appears to still running in the background. Which means while I'm posting at the Forum, it's still running. The only way I can pause it completely is to shut the Notebook down (even "Sleep Mode" doesn't work) which shuts me out of everything.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Those tab is only accessible if the target has sub-locations such as a megaship. You may have to scan the target before those are accessible. That's not a combat question. To target the modules of a target you have to use the specific bindings in options that do that - that's a combat question.

It's an online game, there is no pause. Exit to main menu if you need to stop.

Those tab is only accessible if the target has sub-locations such as a megaship. You may have to scan the target before those are accessible. That's not a combat question. To target the modules of a target you have to use the specific bindings in options that do that - that's a combat question.

Thanks for all of that and I still have time to revise the thread title which I will do now. (y)

.... and no one's happier than my Notebook Fan. ;)

To look at a targeted ships cargo in the next tab over on that screen you need to have fitted and used a Manifest Scanner which goes in one of the Utility slots and that is all I know about one.

To look at the modules the targeted ship has in that window I think you just need to use whichever control you have set to Tab right, however as an alternative you can have buttons bound to Target Next and Previous Module this in theory allows you to attack and disable things like drives or shields on the target while leaving the rest of the ship mostly intact. In practice things are rarely that neat, it is mostly useful if you are pirating the targets cargo or trying to recover stolen goods for a mission.

My notebook sits on a stand/slope full of cooling fans and even in an unheated room in the UK at this time of year fires up its own fans when the games graphics start, I should probably duct the exhaust round to use as a hand warmer.

From your redirected thread icons in the scanner that are triangles have deployed their weapons or are scanning your ship, any hollow shape is a player.

Last edited:
To look at a targeted ships cargo in the next tab over on that screen you need to have fitted and used a Manifest Scanner which goes in one of the Utility slots and that is all I know about one.

To look at the modules the targeted ship has in that window I think you just need to use whichever control you have set to Tab right, however as an alternative you can have buttons bound to Target Next and Previous Module this in theory allows you to attack and disable things like drives or shields on the target while leaving the rest of the ship mostly intact. In practice things are rarely that neat, it is mostly useful if you are pirating the targets cargo or trying to recover stolen goods for a mission.

My notebook sits on a stand/slope full of cooling fans and even in an unheated room in the UK at this time of year fires up its own fans when the games graphics start, I should probably duct the exhaust round to use as a hand warmer.

From your redirected thread icons in the scanner that are triangles have deployed their weapons or are scanning your ship, any hollow shape is a player.
Thanks for reply.
My "tab right" is bound to the <E> key, but it won't move it to "Targets" I assume for the reasons you have explained above.

In regard to targeting through the Nav. Panel rather than using bound k'board keys, it was just that I thought I had read that somewhere here at the Forum.

Yep - possible I confused you.
The "contacts" tab will let you select/target ships (or other objects, from canusters to space stations) for comms, picking up (stuff has to be selected/targeted in order to be picked up with your cargo scoop) or shooting at.
The "target" tab will let you select sub-targets where available, so you can e.g. shoot out another ship's thrusters or FSD to keep them from running.

Yep - possible I confused you.
The "contacts" tab will let you select/target ships (or other objects, from canusters to space stations) for comms, picking up (stuff has to be selected/targeted in order to be picked up with your cargo scoop) or shooting at.
The "target" tab will let you select sub-targets where available, so you can e.g. shoot out another ship's thrusters or FSD to keep them from running.
Oh! Thanks!
"....... Another option is to go to your left hand panel, skip to the targets tab and select it from the list. Tedious, but sometimes hard to avoid if you want to target that pesky fighter that manages to stick to your back. ......"
I knew I'd read it somewhere. ;)

By simply "Targeting" the enemy ship, then highlighting it in Contacts Tab in Nav. Panel allows you to move right to the Targets Tab. Below are the two windows all validating what you suggested previously. (y)

Attachments

• ED-Nav Panel-Targets Window  1.jpg
    ED-Nav Panel-Targets Window 1.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 49
  • ED-Nav panel-Targets Window 2.jpg
    ED-Nav panel-Targets Window 2.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 52
Topic: Mining Training Video - But where is it? Unresolved

This is what it tells me, but when I open it, it lists all the videos for ED and Horizons, however there's no Mining Video listed. Help please. Thanks.

Attachments

• ED-Mining-Training Video.jpg
    ED-Mining-Training Video.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Topic: Mining - Training Simulation - "Deploy Cargo Scoop" Resolved, Thank you. See posts below.

I'm being asked to deploy my cargo scoop to pick-up a fragment of rock. My default key binding for this is <HOME>. When I use it, nothing happens, or nothing appears to happen. I've checked to see that the <HOME> key performs its nominated role when checking a multi-page document, and it works fine. Anybody have advice on what I should do next? Thanks.

Last edited:
Topic: Mining - Training Simulation - "Deploy Cargo Scoop"

I'm being asked to deploy my cargo scoop to pick-up a fragment of rock. My default key binding for this is <HOME>. When I use it, nothing happens, or nothing appears to happen. I've checked to see that the <HOME> key performs its nominated role when checking a multi-page document, and it works fine. Anybody have advice on what I should do next? Thanks.

Check that the Cargo Hatch is not disabled in your Modules panel of the RHS UI.

Check that the Cargo Hatch is not disabled in your Modules panel of the RHS UI.
I can't get to open the Cargo Hatch this time because it won't change cockpit modes when I press <M>. (see attached) This is a tough training module, there's so little help.

Attachments

• ED-Mining-Mode.jpg
    ED-Mining-Mode.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 46
I can't get to open the Cargo Hatch this time because it won't change cockpit modes when I press <M>. (see attached) This is a tough training module, there's so little help.
STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <M> worked in a re-run. OK. Now to check the Cargo Hatch .......
No its active. (see attached).

Attachments

• ED-Mining-Cargo scoop2.jpg
    ED-Mining-Cargo scoop2.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I think your best option would be to find a friend in game, willing to explain all those issues via e.g. discord while you fly together :) .
I would offer myself but my verbal English is bad, so you better keep searching...

I think your best option would be to find a friend in game, willing to explain all those issues via e.g. discord while you fly together :) .
I would offer myself but my verbal English is bad, so you better keep searching...
Yes ....... sounds good. But I doubt anybody would put up with me! ;)

Top Bottom