Welcome all newcomers to the world of Elite: Dangerous!

BOUNTY HUNTING GUIDE

If you are new to Elite: Dangerous (ED), you may be wondering "How Do I get Started?" As after the tutorials, you are pretty much on your own and the game does not explain how to get started or where to go.

In ED, there are 6 main ways to play the game. These ways come in the form of various different roles, so you can be a: Trader, Miner, Explorer, Pirate, Mission Player or Bounty Hunter. Today, we will be discussing that final option: Bounty Hunter, as it is by far and away the most popular way to play. There are several reasons as to why this is the most popular way to play. For one, its very easy to get started. Two, you can Bounty Hunt in any area of the Milky Way Galaxy. Three, its the fastest way to intense firefights and full-of-action game play. And finally, Bounty Hunting can net you some of the fastest currency gains in the game, in very little time. I myself have achieved 4.5 Million Credits in one hour of play!

So How Does Bounty Hunting Work? What is It?

In the world of ED, there are millions of pirates and murderers cruising around. A Bounty Hunter's job and description is basically to Eliminate as many of these hostile threats as possible and therefore "Clean up Society".

So How Do I get Started?

Well, Key Bindings for the game vary depending on your input methods (Keyboard+Mouse Vs Gamepad for example). Unfortunately this means I just couldn't possibly list every single step, as even keyboard bindings can be customized based on your preference. I suggest that before you get started, you head to the "Options" Menu at the Main menu, then choose your preferred method of input under the "Controls" area. When I sold my Xbox One, I kept an Xbox One Controller for use on my PC using a special Sync Adapter module you can purchase from Best Buy or online for about USD $20. This is a very good way to play the game, as the joysticks give you full 360 degree adjustable control over your ships flight. Under the "Controls" Options menu, you will want to select the "Advanced Gamepad" preset to use this setup effectively.

Once your controls are selected, head to the "Training" area of the Main Menu. From here, you will want to get used to your controls by completing all of the tutorials in this menu. Do not worry if you cannot beat the "Advanced Combat" Module, as it is actually quite difficult and requires a skilled pilot.

Once you have completed the tutorials and are confident that you understand your controls, you will want to start the game in "Solo Play" Mode, as "Open Play" Mode includes other players and believe me, as a new player it is extremely frustrating when experienced Pirate players pick on you and kill you over and over again. I will let you know when it is wise to try "Open Play".

Once in game, you will notice you are already in your starting ship: The Sidewinder. The Sidewinder is a very weak ship with very low power shields and hardly any armor at all, but you can still Bounty Hunt in it, but you will want to follow the instructions further down very carefully...

Pirates and Murderers are found in Resource Extraction Sites (RES). You will want to open your system map by rotating your pilots view to the left-hand side of the cockpit and selecting "System Map" under the "Navigation" Tab. RES sites are found on ringed planets, inside the rings, as this is where miners mine their resources from, and where Pirates kill those miners for those resources.

If there are no ringed planets in your current system, open your "Galaxy Map" under the same "Navigation" Panel in the cockpit instead. This will show all the Solar Systems in the game. Hover over a nearby one that displays a low "Distance". In the little box that pops up, you will see an icon that looks like small dots orbiting a bigger one. This is the System Map of your selected Solar System. Select it and look for ringed planets in the system. If there are, hover over that planet and select the "Plot Route" Option. If a line-with-dots icon appeared, your Sidewinder can Hyper-Jump there successfully. If route plotting fails, it means the jump distance exceeds the Sidewinders jump limit, and you will need to look at a closer Solar System.

Once you have successfully located a ringed planet you can travel to, then travel to it. You should have learned how to travel in the tutorials. As you begin to get close to the planet, slow down and pull up your "Navigation" Panel. Across from your "Galaxy Map" and "System Map" Options, there will be a list of nearby locations. In these locations, you should see "Resource Extraction Site" options. These options vary from Low, to Medium, High, and Hazardous. The Medium sites will not display anything next to the destination name. As a beginner in a Sidewinder, you will want to avoid both High and Hazardous RES sites, as these sites will contain much more difficult bounties in much larger, much more powerful ships that will destroy you quicker than you can say "Oops". As a beginner, I personally recommend the Low RES sites but the Medium sites are doable if you are feeling brave.

Select a RES and enter it. Once inside, you will notice ships beginning to appear on your radar. One by one, scan ships by selecting them either in the left cockpit panel under the "Contacts" Tab or by simply pointing your ship at them and selecting them. This will automatically initiate a scan of the ship. NOTE: As a beginner, it is a GOOD idea to keep your hardpoints (weapons) retracted (closed) while scanning ships. Accidental fire on a civilian, innocent target will cause the local police to open fire upon you, and trust me in a Sidewinder you will have no chance at all against them and slim chance of escape. ALSO, do not open fire while your scans are still in progress, EVEN IF the police are already battling that target. This will automatically default to a criminal act and you will be eliminated!

Once your scan is complete, under the targets information in the bottom-left corner of the screen when facing forwards in the cockpit, you should see a status that either says "Clean" or "Wanted". "Clean" means the target is an innocent civilian with no bounty and if you open fire, the police will kill you. "Wanted" means the target is a criminal and there is a bounty on their head, meaning it is okay to open fire. As a beginner, it may be a good idea to look around for targets already being pursued or shot at by police forces, as the enemy will most likely stay focused on the police and not fire upon yourself.

If you do decide you wish to engage before police are around to help, you will want to engage small ships like your own. In the Sidewinder, your options are pretty much limited to other Sidewinders, Eagles, and Adders. Once you attempt to engage a Viper, a Cobra, or larger on your own, you will more than likely be killed. Larger ships are OK to engage if the police have already engaged them, but as a Sidewinder pilot even this tactic becomes risky when engaging the more expensive and powerful ships (Vultures, Fer De Lances, Imperial Clippers, Pythons, Federal Dropships, and Federal Assault Ships) and under NO circumstances should you ever engage the largest Anacondas or Federal Corvettes as a Sidewinder!

So I Have Bounty Hunted for Awhile, When Should I Stop?

A good general rule for all ships is to cease Bounty Hunting Activities as soon as your Hull Integrity (Health) Drops Below 50% or as soon as you start a fight that you feel you cant finish.

OH, NO! IVE STARTED A FIGHT I CANT FINISH OR ACCIDENTALLY ATTACKED POLICE! WHAT DO I DO?

DO NOT PANIC! Well, we all know we are going to panic. The good news is a stock Sidewinder is free to replace and so if you are killed, no big deal. However for future reference (once you are in a better ship as it costs money to replace destroyed ships), here is what you ATTEMPT to do: ESCAPE! There is no fairy-tale secret way of automatically having a way to win in ED, so if you screw up, you RUN!!! If you have a Chaff Launcher, then use it, divert MAXIMUM power to your engines, point away from the RES center point, and FLOOR IT! Go to maximum throttle and use boost over and over again while doing barrel-rolls to avoid as much damage as possible. As soon as you are no longer Mass-Locked and can enter Super-Cruise, press the button and start the process. The process will more than likely take more time than usual as your pursuer(s) will disrupt the functionality of your Frame Shift Drive (FSD). Continue boosting and barrel-rolling until you successfully escape.

If you attacked the police, you will now have a bounty on your head in your current system. STAY IN SUPER-CRUISE, DO NOT HYPER-JUMP TO ANOTHER SYSTEM, point away from any other planets or objects into empty space, go to max throttle and pay close attention to your screen until you are far away from the area. At this point, look at the left panel in the cockpit and go to the "Transactions" Tab. Here you will see your current bounty along with bounty rewards you are due to be paid for the targets you have killed. Next to YOUR BOUNTY, there should be a time listed (EXAMPLE: 0H10M), this is the amount of time you MUST REMAIN IN THIS SYSTEM BEFORE HYPER-JUMPING, or you will be locked out of this system with a dormant bounty for SEVEN DAYS! Once your bounty time says "0 ON H-JUMP" you will want to Hyper-Jump to another Solar System. Once jumped, the bounty will de-escalate to a fine, and you can return to the System you were Bounty Hunting in to collect your earnings.

How do I Collect My Bounty Hunting Earnings?

Simply travel to any station within the system where you did your Bounty Hunting (I recommend the largest/main Orbital Station so you can also repair, refuel, and restock your ship). After Docking, select the "Station Services" option and head to the "Contacts" Page. Here you can collect your Bounty Rewards as well as pay any fines you may have received.

I Have Earned a Good Amount Of Money, When Should I Buy a New Ship? Which One Should I Buy?

You should get out of the little Sidewinder as soon as possible. It is upgradable but this is not very sensible and spending your credits on it will mean that much longer before you get into a decent ship. That being said, the cheapest ship offerings such as the Eagle and Adder aren't much of an Upgrade either. To see a REAL combat performance boost, you should look at the Viper Mk III and the Cobra MK III. The Cobra is preferred my most including myself as it is slightly more maneuverable, has more powerful shields and WAY more armor. However, the Cobra MK III is 380,000 credits where as the Viper MK III is 140,000. Regardless, both are capable fighters ready to take on most ships, the Cobra can even handle more powerful and expensive ships such as the DiamonBack Explorer or Vulture all on its own with no support in the hands of a Skilled Pilot. The Viper and Cobra will cost you in excess of 1 Million Credits to fully outfit with advanced weapons and other modules but just some larger pulse lasers or multi-cannons and then running the ship stock otherwise will get you started cheaply, but you may need a power plant upgrade depending on your chosen weapons.

What Ships Do You Personally Recommend?

My ideal BOUNTY HUNTING Ship Progression Chart looks like this:

Sidewinder [Free] - Cobra MK III [380,000], DiamondBack Explorer (OPTIONAL STEP) [1,900,000], Vulture [4,925,000], Fer De Lance [51,570,000], Anaconda [146,970,000], Federal Corvette (Option to the Anaconda) [187,970,000]

My personal favorite is the Fer De Lance. Ive never had the money to own one myself but I played one on a friends account and man, oh man, that is one serious Bounty Hunter. It is fast, fairly Agile, and equipped with 4 Medium Class Weapons and one Huge Class Weapon, plus its incredibly powerful shields and very decent armor, it is definitely the best if the "Fighter" Class Ship in the game, for SURE!

You can build any ship you want but these are the Combat Ready, relatively agile ships that get this particular job done in the best way with the most efficiency.

How Would You Effectively Outfit a Bounty Hunting Ship?

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! Outfitting your ship correctly for Combat and Bounty Hunting easily makes the difference between success and failure or death. You will want to equip every ship with either at least one laser or plasma weapon or make up for it with multiple multi-cannons to effectively deal with shields. The most common and easy setups are usually using lasers on larger hardpoints and multi-cannons on smaller ones. These are effective setups that shred shields and armor from any range up to 3000 meters. They are easy to use and require no special skills to use effectively. Specialty weapons such as Plasma Accelerators, Rail Guns, and Fragmentation Cannons require more skill to effectively use but can deal high amounts of damage in single bursts.

My ideal setup on the Fer De Lance would be Two Medium Beam Lasers, Two Medium Multi-Cannons, and a Huge Fragmentation Cannon. This setup would allow for good DPS at far range, and once the target gets close (under 500 meters), the Giant Frag Cannon will obliterate them.

I recommend gimballed turrets to everyone. Fixed turrets may do more damage but against fast, agile targets such as Eagles and Vultures, it is nearly impossible to keep the target in line and get enough hits to make them effective to use.

As for other modules, I recommend maximum Power Plant Upgrades ASAP, to ensure you can run your other upgrades. From there, Max Shield and bulkhead upgrades are also a good idea so you can stand up to some punishment. Chaff Launchers and Kill Warrant Scanners are a must-have on any Bounty Hunting Ship. Kill Warrant Scanners allow you to collect more information on more bounties that your target may have in the area, making you more money. Chaff launchers cause targeting systems to loose lock on you, making them a certainly worthwhile defense. Point Defense are small turrets that automatically take aim and fire at hostile missiles and torpedoes, and are also a great accessory.

I do NOT recommend filling ANY space with Cargo Holds, Surface Recon Vehicles, or Discovery Scanners. These modules are designed for exploration, trading, and mining. Having these equipped on a Bounty Hunting Ship will waste space, use power, and add weight that could me more effectively used on offensive or defensive capabilities. THE ONE Non-Combat Item I recommend on ANY SHIP, including combat ships, trader ships, and ESPECIALLY exploration ships is a FUEL SCOOP. Sooner or later you will want to travel and combat ships historically have terrible fuel storage and jump range. To travel ANYWHERE far, you will need one. I recommend using the smallest, lowest class, cheapest Fuel Scoop available on a combat ship to save power for other modules. Who cares how long a combat vessel takes to refuel?

So When Can I Head to the HIGH and HAZ RES Sites to Make Some REAL Money? When Should I Try the "Open Play" Mode?

Once you are in a FULLY UPGRADED/OUTFITTED Cobra MK III or better, you can go ahead and visit High RES sites. With help from local police, you and your Cobra can now take on even the biggest foes, such as Anacondas and Fer De Lances. On its own, it would be able to start and finish fights with fairly powerful ships such as DiamondBack Explorers and Vultures. This is also when I recommend trying the "Open Play" Mode, as you will have a ship powerful enough to fend off most Pirate Players and in most cases they wont even risk the attack on a skilled pilot in a proper, fully outfitted ship.

As for Hazardous Sites, these get their name for a reason. These sites DO NOT have ANY LOCAL POLICE, and thus you are completely on your own taking on murderers and pirates in large and powerful ships. Because of this, HAZ RES Sites are not recommended until you have one of the largest and most powerful ships. Acceptable ships are the Imperial Clipper, Federal Gunship, Fer De Lance, Anaconda, or Federal Corvette.

So What Ship do You Currently Pilot?

I pilot a Vulture. Its the fastest and most agile of all the higher-tier fighters, only outpaced very slightly by the little Eagle. It features two Large Class Weapon Slots (or Hardpoints), giving it good firepower but not enough in sheer weapon numbers for a very versatile setup. As a result, I currently have a Large Gimballed Burst Laser and a Large Gimballed Multi-Cannon as its weapons, to give me a setup that is usable and effective against most types of ship builds from most ranges and angles. This ship does suffer badly from sub-par powerplant options. Even Fully Upgraded, I had to sacrifice a class of Thrusters and go with the B Class option to give me enough power for my weapons and defenses. However, because it is already so agile, this is hardly a sacrifice, plus the ship is a full 4 Million Credits Cheaper to build, as those class A Thrusters are EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE!

Where do you like to Bounty Hunt?

My two favorite Systems are Ross 847 and HIP 20277. Use the Galaxy Map search option in the second tab to type in these systems and locate them. Both are great systems and have High RES Sites located very close to their main docking stations. I am currently in HIP 20277. In Ross 847 I managed my best ever 4.5 Million Credits per hour and in HIP 20277 so far I have managed 3.2 Million Credits in one hour.

Well, I believe that is all you need to know to get started. If you feel I have missed something, please comment! I hope this has helped you and I hope you enjoy Bounty Hunting in Elite: Dangerous!

Last edited:
I never bothered with a Cobra. Shortly after receiving the game as a early Christmas present last year and floundering around for a bit, I found this site. I reset my cmdr, flew my sidewinder to a high res site, and stayed there until I could afford a Mk IV. From there the early progression was DBS, DBX, Asp S, Asp E, FAS, and then the Python (no exploits). Made my first billion doing missions/cargo runs using that Python. Still have it. :)

Last edited:
I never bothered with a Cobra. Shortly after receiving the game as a early Christmas present last year and floundering around for a bit, I found this site. I reset my cmdr, flew my sidewinder to a high res site, and stayed there until I could afford a Mk IV. From there the early progression was DBS, DBX, Asp S, Asp E, FAS, and then the Python (no exploits). Made my first billion doing missions/cargo runs using that Python. Still have it. :)

Wait a minute, that is a bit confusing lol. You say you never bothered with a Cobra but you saved up for the MK IV Cobra, which is still a Cobra lol. Its cool and all that you like the MK IV for its higher armor and shields, but I felt its lack of maneuverability made it less than the wisest choice for Bounty Hunting. This is why I prefer the MK III over the IV. Plus with High Class Module Upgrades and a Hull Reinforcement Package, the MK III becomes pretty much as tough as the MK IV but retains its superior maneuverability.

Plus, because the MK III is much cheaper to buy than the MK IV, along with weapons and modules also being cheaper, its a more sensible option to a relatively new player. Saving up nearly a Million Credits in a Sidewinder is tough even for an experienced pilot. A newcomer would more than likely not be able to handle the amount of grinding required to save up to go directly to an MKIV build.

I can see why the DiamondBack Scout might appeal as a direct upgrade from the Sidewinder. It looks better than the Cobra MK III (in most peoples opinions including mine), and it is ever so slightly more maneuverable. However, the maneuverability difference is so miniscule, that only players with years under their belt can even tell the difference. On top of this, the Cobra is about 150,000 credits cheaper with cheaper modules, and has a Larger Cargo Hold meaning trading is more of an option as well. Its just a more sensible upgrade for new players.

I can totally see why you would go from a DiamondBack Scout to a DiamondBack Explorer. Much more powerful Weapons Plus much More Armor and Shields. There is a reason the DiamondBack Explorer is the DiamondBack Scout's older brother, as its the next step up.

However, what I dont get is why then you would downgrade to an ASP Scout from a DiamondBack Explorer, with less weaponry and survivability. I would have just gone straight for the ASP Explorer if anything, which I wouldn't do anyway as this is a forum specifically for Bounty Hunting, meaning it is considered unwise to spend a bunch of money on an expensive ship that doesn't even upgrade your Firepower (One Large Hardpoint is about the same as Two Mediums). Thats a considerable abount of money for slightly better Shields and Armor and carrying capacity over the Diamondback Explorer. I would expect a jump from 2 to 6 Million Credits to net me a gain large enough to take on a harder class of opponents. The ASP Explorer simply does not deliver on that front, which is why the super Maneuvering upgrade Vulture is a better call.

I can completely agree with the Federal Assult Ship Call. It is quite a powerful Ship and would be a decent step in between the Vulture and Fer De Lance if a player so chooses. The Imperial Clipper is another good choice in this area, so I suppose it all depends on what faction you pledge your allegiance to, but while the Clipper is more expensive, it is more maneuverable. Not only is its maneuverability amazing for a Large/Frigate Size Ship, but it looks amazing as well. Keep in mind maneuverability is extremely important in Bounty Hunting, so this gives the Clipper a massive advantage over the Federal Assault Ship.

While I do like the Python, it is more of an all-rounder, heavy ship, and while its tough, it cant maneuver hardly at all. I know this is a common thing along the larger class ships, but I would expect more firepower for that loss in flight ability. I honestly prefer the Fer De Lance over the Python at the price point, but that is a personal decision. On this front, the two are about equal. Neither is a better choice than the other for a Bounty Hunter. But for me, my large, slow ship is the Mighty Anaconda, or the Federal Corvette (Corvette may be preferred due to its higher maneuverability. Ive seen a few YouTube videos, its a super-beast!

Just keep in mind this is a thread about Bounty Hunting. How nice a ship looks, how much it can carry, how well a ship can explore, and how multi-purpose it may be is all IRRELEVANT AND BOUNTY HUNTERS DO NOT CARE ABOUT IT.

Things that matter in this thread, in order from most important from least:

1.) Firepower

2.) Maneuverability

3.) Shields and Armor

4.) Utility Points for Kill Warrant Scanners, Point Defense

5.) Internals for power management and better shields/hull integrity.

6.) Everything Else = USELESS

Quick point - avoiding high intensity RESes is a mistake. The pirates are bigger and tougher, and come with commensurate bounties.

Wait until the police start shooting (or, indeed, shoot a bad guy then run towards the police), then pile in as they crush the criminal. You'll get the bounty. In a Sidey, you're practically guaranteed to not be the highest threat as you'll only have two class 1 hardpoints, against the class 2 mounts on the police ships.

There are video guides on Youtube showing how it's done.

The Python is a mission-runner/BGS ship; the FdL is for pewpew.

Last edited:
Wait a minute, that is a bit confusing lol. You say you never bothered with a Cobra but you saved up for the MK IV Cobra, which is still a Cobra lol.

When did WRMILLER say he went to a Cobra MK IV? He received the game as a Christmas present last year which would make him ineligible for the special promotion (Was that kick starter?) It sounds to me like he went for a Viper MK IV.

Last edited:
It was a viper MK IV, not a Cobra.

And no, it didn't take that long at all. A couple of hours IIRC.

I'll just claim lack of experience/preliminary investigation on my part when I jumped to the Asp S. *shrug* I wasn't in it very long before I had my Asp E anyway. :)

Never bothered with a Vulture. I was doing missions/cargo for fed rank and it can't carry a handkerchief. I wanted the FAS as it's basically a Vulture on steroids and can carry a bit of cargo. When my shields dropped, I put three pips each to engines and weps and partied on! What a tank! :)

My Python is my 'armed trader'. I managed to unlock a few engineers by the time I got her, and she held her own against any but the engineered NPCs. Now she's much better engineered and can kill any NPC just as fast or faster than my FDL (which I bought much later). Three large beams and two medium PAs do a number on anything, including Elite condas. And being able to boost to well over 400 helps in keeping enemies in sight long enough to make them go 'boom'. Apparently, some folks can't fly it well enough to use it for bounty hunting. Oh well.

The apex predator is my Corvette. It can kill anything it can catch quicker than anything I have owned. Period. Drop into a CNB or haz res, kill everything in sight, wait for the respawn. Rinse, repeat.

Not sure what you are screaming about (all caps), but I never said anything about doing anything other than bounty hunting. I was simply pointing out my ship choices. So Relax. And if you can't (relax), oh well.

You opinion about how others should do things is just that. An opinion. No more important than anyone elses. And you posted it on a public forum. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It was a viper MK IV, not a Cobra.

And no, it didn't take that long at all. A couple of hours IIRC.

I'll just claim lack of experience/preliminary investigation on my part when I jumped to the Asp S. *shrug* I wasn't in it very long before I had my Asp E anyway. :)

Never bothered with a Vulture. I was doing missions/cargo for fed rank and it can't carry a handkerchief. I wanted the FAS as it's basically a Vulture on steroids and can carry a bit of cargo. When my shields dropped, I put three pips each to engines and weps and partied on! What a tank! :)

My Python is my 'armed trader'. I managed to unlock a few engineers by the time I got her, and she held her own against any but the engineered NPCs. Now she's much better engineered and can kill any NPC just as fast or faster than my FDL (which I bought much later). Three large beams and two medium PAs do a number on anything, including Elite condas. And being able to boost to well over 400 helps in keeping enemies in sight long enough to make them go 'boom'. Apparently, some folks can't fly it well enough to use it for bounty hunting. Oh well.

The apex predator is my Corvette. It can kill anything it can catch quicker than anything I have owned. Period. Drop into a CNB or haz res, kill everything in sight, wait for the respawn. Rinse, repeat.

Not sure what you are screaming about (all caps), but I never said anything about doing anything other than bounty hunting. I was simply pointing out my ship choices. So Relax. And if you can't (relax), oh well.

You opinion about how others should do things is just that. An opinion. No more important than anyone elses. And you posted it on a public forum. :rolleyes:

No no not yelling or screaming, why does everyone always think all caps means that? I use it to highlight certain areas of text, as you would highlight certain paragraphs in school because they of their importance to your assignment, if that analogy makes any sense.

Ya, Ive heard the FAS is a tank, and I believe it, its a Frigate/Large Class with Decent Hardpoints. I dont doubt it at all and I did say its a good step in between the Vulture and Fer De Lance (as far as price goes). I do feel like I would like the Clipper better but eh, I havent had the credits to experiment with new ships yet. Im kind of on a set-course until I have credits to just throw around.

I actually just converted my old DiamondBack Explorer into an actual exploration vehicle, my first ever explorer type vehicle. Mainly because I now have my Vulture back once again (had it on Xbox One years ago).

But Im just gonna go back to playing. Forums suck anyways. I always think people might be chill and cool and its just never that way. Try to help and people just wanna trolololol all over it all the time, not saying thats what you are doing. Just kinda figured a thread specifically talking about a certain type of play should include details such as the absolute best ships for that certain job, not taking into account others because generally Bounty Hunters dont really ever trade or explore.

I just hope someone can use the tutorial, all I wanted to do was help. When I started, I wanted to learn without anything but the basic tutorials. Bad idea, no idea what a RES was, no idea where to go, what to do. Tried stupid opening missions, what a joke. Hours of work would barely net you 50,000 credits profit.

The real enjoyment is shooting things and watching things explode XD, and maybe some exploring too. So thats what Im gonna do, forget the forums for now.

The DBE is an excellent explorer, and with the recent changes you can make some decent credits. Especially if you get a little ways out and start finding unexplored systems. I am going to go back out soon as well, and have built a Clipper to do it in (I really like the Clipper, but this is the only use I can find for it).

Just an FYI, but it is commonly held on the internet that when you type in all caps you are yelling/screaming.

As for the 'best' ship for BH, people have different opinions on what exactly that is. I can (and have) bounty hunted in every ship I have owned. You like different choices, others have even different opinions. It's all good. :)

My apologies for thinking you were yelling. I'm older than most here, have been on the internet since long before the World Wide Web, and sometimes get set in my ways. Sorry about my 'assumptions'. I'll try to keep those in check.

The DBE is an excellent explorer, and with the recent changes you can make some decent credits. Especially if you get a little ways out and start finding unexplored systems. I am going to go back out soon as well, and have built a Clipper to do it in (I really like the Clipper, but this is the only use I can find for it).

Just an FYI, but it is commonly held on the internet that when you type in all caps you are yelling/screaming.

As for the 'best' ship for BH, people have different opinions on what exactly that is. I can (and have) bounty hunted in every ship I have owned. You like different choices, others have even different opinions. It's all good. :)

My apologies for thinking you were yelling. I'm older than most here, have been on the internet since long before the World Wide Web, and sometimes get set in my ways. Sorry about my 'assumptions'. I'll try to keep those in check.

Its cool man, only reason I used caps is Im on mobile ATM and cant use cool editing like bolding or color changing. Kinda sucks, but whatever.

With the DBX, Im thinking I will soon join one of the massive exploration groups in the forum, maybe go on one of their long journey s, apparently they do need escorts to handle hostile threats along the way, and although I had to downgrade its weapons and shielding to free up power for the Scarab SRV Buggy, its still quite formidable (Class B Shields with Large Beam Laser and Twin Medium Multicannons), so I can do what I do best: Kill things!

Nice try and that's a great effort, but bits of the advice are off the mark. The best and safest place to go bounty hunting for a new starter is the high RES. It's totally safe. Nobody will shoot you at all, except if you are the only ship to shoot them. All you need to do is wait until they're already engaged with the feds, then you can shoot them as much as you like without them shooting back. There's two exceptions: Both Anacondas and Gunships sometimes carry fighters. The fighters will pick on you if you shoot the mothership, so you wait until the mothership is nearly dead before you shoot it. Obviously, if you shoot any ship first, it'll shoot back at you, so always wait until the Feds fired the first shot.I always thought that you needed to wait until they were all nearly dead before opening fire, but you don't. None of them shoot back at you if you're in the Sidewinder! Be careful of wings of three. They must all be engaged before you shoot, sometimes, only two of them are being shot by the feds, and if you join in, the third sometimes has a go at you, though often not. The reason to go to a high RES is that there's lots more action and lots of Feds to do all the dirty work for you, plus you make a lot more money there - typically 1 million per hour or more.

If you stay with the basic Sidewinder with only the class 1 pulse lasers, it's much safer because nobody will shoot you. You can upgrade your thrusters, power plant, power distributor and shields to make your ship faster and stronger without penalty. A kill warrant scanner will increase your bounties by about 30%, though you have to go somewhere else to cash in your Alliance and Empire bounties. If you upgrade to a bigger ship, the bad guys start shooting back, so don't be in too much of a rush to upgrade. It's best to get loads of money first. I'm getting about 2 mil per hour in the Sidewinder on average over about 25 hours.

I now have nearly 400 million and I've only used the free Sidewinder so far because I'm testing what you can do with it. So far, I've killed about 1500 ships with it, all but one in the high RES. It's very rare that another ship shoots back at me, but I have noticed that it seems to be increasing as Ii go up in rank. I'm now well on my way to dangerous.

although I had to downgrade its weapons and shielding to free up power for the Scarab SRV Buggy...
Have you worked your power priorities out? You should be able to run an SRV with the bay set to turn off when hardpoints are deployed.

I'm on my mobile right now, so I can't post a coriolis build, but it should be possible.

Welcome all newcomers to the world of Elite: Dangerous!

BOUNTY HUNTING GUIDE

If you are new to Elite: Dangerous (ED), you may be wondering "How Do I get Started?" As after the tutorials, you are pretty much on your own and the game does not explain how to get started or where to go.

In ED, there are 6 main ways to play the game. These ways come in the form of various different roles, so you can be a: Trader, Miner, Explorer, Pirate, Mission Player or Bounty Hunter. Today, we will be discussing that final option: Bounty Hunter, as it is by far and away the most popular way to play. There are several reasons as to why this is the most popular way to play. For one, its very easy to get started. Two, you can Bounty Hunt in any area of the Milky Way Galaxy. Three, its the fastest way to intense firefights and full-of-action game play. And finally, Bounty Hunting can net you some of the fastest currency gains in the game, in very little time. I myself have achieved 4.5 Million Credits in one hour of play!

So How Does Bounty Hunting Work? What is It?

In the world of ED, there are millions of pirates and murderers cruising around. A Bounty Hunter's job and description is basically to Eliminate as many of these hostile threats as possible and therefore "Clean up Society".

So How Do I get Started?

Well, Key Bindings for the game vary depending on your input methods (Keyboard+Mouse Vs Gamepad for example). Unfortunately this means I just couldn't possibly list every single step, as even keyboard bindings can be customized based on your preference. I suggest that before you get started, you head to the "Options" Menu at the Main menu, then choose your preferred method of input under the "Controls" area. When I sold my Xbox One, I kept an Xbox One Controller for use on my PC using a special Sync Adapter module you can purchase from Best Buy or online for about USD $20. This is a very good way to play the game, as the joysticks give you full 360 degree adjustable control over your ships flight. Under the "Controls" Options menu, you will want to select the "Advanced Gamepad" preset to use this setup effectively.

Once your controls are selected, head to the "Training" area of the Main Menu. From here, you will want to get used to your controls by completing all of the tutorials in this menu. Do not worry if you cannot beat the "Advanced Combat" Module, as it is actually quite difficult and requires a skilled pilot.

Once you have completed the tutorials and are confident that you understand your controls, you will want to start the game in "Solo Play" Mode, as "Open Play" Mode includes other players and believe me, as a new player it is extremely frustrating when experienced Pirate players pick on you and kill you over and over again. I will let you know when it is wise to try "Open Play".

Once in game, you will notice you are already in your starting ship: The Sidewinder. The Sidewinder is a very weak ship with very low power shields and hardly any armor at all, but you can still Bounty Hunt in it, but you will want to follow the instructions further down very carefully...

Pirates and Murderers are found in Resource Extraction Sites (RES). You will want to open your system map by rotating your pilots view to the left-hand side of the cockpit and selecting "System Map" under the "Navigation" Tab. RES sites are found on ringed planets, inside the rings, as this is where miners mine their resources from, and where Pirates kill those miners for those resources.

If there are no ringed planets in your current system, open your "Galaxy Map" under the same "Navigation" Panel in the cockpit instead. This will show all the Solar Systems in the game. Hover over a nearby one that displays a low "Distance". In the little box that pops up, you will see an icon that looks like small dots orbiting a bigger one. This is the System Map of your selected Solar System. Select it and look for ringed planets in the system. If there are, hover over that planet and select the "Plot Route" Option. If a line-with-dots icon appeared, your Sidewinder can Hyper-Jump there successfully. If route plotting fails, it means the jump distance exceeds the Sidewinders jump limit, and you will need to look at a closer Solar System.

Once you have successfully located a ringed planet you can travel to, then travel to it. You should have learned how to travel in the tutorials. As you begin to get close to the planet, slow down and pull up your "Navigation" Panel. Across from your "Galaxy Map" and "System Map" Options, there will be a list of nearby locations. In these locations, you should see "Resource Extraction Site" options. These options vary from Low, to Medium, High, and Hazardous. The Medium sites will not display anything next to the destination name. As a beginner in a Sidewinder, you will want to avoid both High and Hazardous RES sites, as these sites will contain much more difficult bounties in much larger, much more powerful ships that will destroy you quicker than you can say "Oops". As a beginner, I personally recommend the Low RES sites but the Medium sites are doable if you are feeling brave.

Select a RES and enter it. Once inside, you will notice ships beginning to appear on your radar. One by one, scan ships by selecting them either in the left cockpit panel under the "Contacts" Tab or by simply pointing your ship at them and selecting them. This will automatically initiate a scan of the ship. NOTE: As a beginner, it is a GOOD idea to keep your hardpoints (weapons) retracted (closed) while scanning ships. Accidental fire on a civilian, innocent target will cause the local police to open fire upon you, and trust me in a Sidewinder you will have no chance at all against them and slim chance of escape. ALSO, do not open fire while your scans are still in progress, EVEN IF the police are already battling that target. This will automatically default to a criminal act and you will be eliminated!

Once your scan is complete, under the targets information in the bottom-left corner of the screen when facing forwards in the cockpit, you should see a status that either says "Clean" or "Wanted". "Clean" means the target is an innocent civilian with no bounty and if you open fire, the police will kill you. "Wanted" means the target is a criminal and there is a bounty on their head, meaning it is okay to open fire. As a beginner, it may be a good idea to look around for targets already being pursued or shot at by police forces, as the enemy will most likely stay focused on the police and not fire upon yourself.

If you do decide you wish to engage before police are around to help, you will want to engage small ships like your own. In the Sidewinder, your options are pretty much limited to other Sidewinders, Eagles, and Adders. Once you attempt to engage a Viper, a Cobra, or larger on your own, you will more than likely be killed. Larger ships are OK to engage if the police have already engaged them, but as a Sidewinder pilot even this tactic becomes risky when engaging the more expensive and powerful ships (Vultures, Fer De Lances, Imperial Clippers, Pythons, Federal Dropships, and Federal Assault Ships) and under NO circumstances should you ever engage the largest Anacondas or Federal Corvettes as a Sidewinder!

So I Have Bounty Hunted for Awhile, When Should I Stop?

A good general rule for all ships is to cease Bounty Hunting Activities as soon as your Hull Integrity (Health) Drops Below 50% or as soon as you start a fight that you feel you cant finish.

OH, NO! IVE STARTED A FIGHT I CANT FINISH OR ACCIDENTALLY ATTACKED POLICE! WHAT DO I DO?

DO NOT PANIC! Well, we all know we are going to panic. The good news is a stock Sidewinder is free to replace and so if you are killed, no big deal. However for future reference (once you are in a better ship as it costs money to replace destroyed ships), here is what you ATTEMPT to do: ESCAPE! There is no fairy-tale secret way of automatically having a way to win in ED, so if you screw up, you RUN!!! If you have a Chaff Launcher, then use it, divert MAXIMUM power to your engines, point away from the RES center point, and FLOOR IT! Go to maximum throttle and use boost over and over again while doing barrel-rolls to avoid as much damage as possible. As soon as you are no longer Mass-Locked and can enter Super-Cruise, press the button and start the process. The process will more than likely take more time than usual as your pursuer(s) will disrupt the functionality of your Frame Shift Drive (FSD). Continue boosting and barrel-rolling until you successfully escape.

If you attacked the police, you will now have a bounty on your head in your current system. STAY IN SUPER-CRUISE, DO NOT HYPER-JUMP TO ANOTHER SYSTEM, point away from any other planets or objects into empty space, go to max throttle and pay close attention to your screen until you are far away from the area. At this point, look at the left panel in the cockpit and go to the "Transactions" Tab. Here you will see your current bounty along with bounty rewards you are due to be paid for the targets you have killed. Next to YOUR BOUNTY, there should be a time listed (EXAMPLE: 0H10M), this is the amount of time you MUST REMAIN IN THIS SYSTEM BEFORE HYPER-JUMPING, or you will be locked out of this system with a dormant bounty for SEVEN DAYS! Once your bounty time says "0 ON H-JUMP" you will want to Hyper-Jump to another Solar System. Once jumped, the bounty will de-escalate to a fine, and you can return to the System you were Bounty Hunting in to collect your earnings.

How do I Collect My Bounty Hunting Earnings?

Simply travel to any station within the system where you did your Bounty Hunting (I recommend the largest/main Orbital Station so you can also repair, refuel, and restock your ship). After Docking, select the "Station Services" option and head to the "Contacts" Page. Here you can collect your Bounty Rewards as well as pay any fines you may have received.

I Have Earned a Good Amount Of Money, When Should I Buy a New Ship? Which One Should I Buy?

You should get out of the little Sidewinder as soon as possible. It is upgradable but this is not very sensible and spending your credits on it will mean that much longer before you get into a decent ship. That being said, the cheapest ship offerings such as the Eagle and Adder aren't much of an Upgrade either. To see a REAL combat performance boost, you should look at the Viper Mk III and the Cobra MK III. The Cobra is preferred my most including myself as it is slightly more maneuverable, has more powerful shields and WAY more armor. However, the Cobra MK III is 380,000 credits where as the Viper MK III is 140,000. Regardless, both are capable fighters ready to take on most ships, the Cobra can even handle more powerful and expensive ships such as the DiamonBack Explorer or Vulture all on its own with no support in the hands of a Skilled Pilot. The Viper and Cobra will cost you in excess of 1 Million Credits to fully outfit with advanced weapons and other modules but just some larger pulse lasers or multi-cannons and then running the ship stock otherwise will get you started cheaply, but you may need a power plant upgrade depending on your chosen weapons.

What Ships Do You Personally Recommend?

My ideal BOUNTY HUNTING Ship Progression Chart looks like this:

Sidewinder [Free] - Cobra MK III [380,000], DiamondBack Explorer (OPTIONAL STEP) [1,900,000], Vulture [4,925,000], Fer De Lance [51,570,000], Anaconda [146,970,000], Federal Corvette (Option to the Anaconda) [187,970,000]

My personal favorite is the Fer De Lance. Ive never had the money to own one myself but I played one on a friends account and man, oh man, that is one serious Bounty Hunter. It is fast, fairly Agile, and equipped with 4 Medium Class Weapons and one Huge Class Weapon, plus its incredibly powerful shields and very decent armor, it is definitely the best if the "Fighter" Class Ship in the game, for SURE!

You can build any ship you want but these are the Combat Ready, relatively agile ships that get this particular job done in the best way with the most efficiency.

How Would You Effectively Outfit a Bounty Hunting Ship?

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! Outfitting your ship correctly for Combat and Bounty Hunting easily makes the difference between success and failure or death. You will want to equip every ship with either at least one laser or plasma weapon or make up for it with multiple multi-cannons to effectively deal with shields. The most common and easy setups are usually using lasers on larger hardpoints and multi-cannons on smaller ones. These are effective setups that shred shields and armor from any range up to 3000 meters. They are easy to use and require no special skills to use effectively. Specialty weapons such as Plasma Accelerators, Rail Guns, and Fragmentation Cannons require more skill to effectively use but can deal high amounts of damage in single bursts.

My ideal setup on the Fer De Lance would be Two Medium Beam Lasers, Two Medium Multi-Cannons, and a Huge Fragmentation Cannon. This setup would allow for good DPS at far range, and once the target gets close (under 500 meters), the Giant Frag Cannon will obliterate them.

I recommend gimballed turrets to everyone. Fixed turrets may do more damage but against fast, agile targets such as Eagles and Vultures, it is nearly impossible to keep the target in line and get enough hits to make them effective to use.

As for other modules, I recommend maximum Power Plant Upgrades ASAP, to ensure you can run your other upgrades. From there, Max Shield and bulkhead upgrades are also a good idea so you can stand up to some punishment. Chaff Launchers and Kill Warrant Scanners are a must-have on any Bounty Hunting Ship. Kill Warrant Scanners allow you to collect more information on more bounties that your target may have in the area, making you more money. Chaff launchers cause targeting systems to loose lock on you, making them a certainly worthwhile defense. Point Defense are small turrets that automatically take aim and fire at hostile missiles and torpedoes, and are also a great accessory.

I do NOT recommend filling ANY space with Cargo Holds, Surface Recon Vehicles, or Discovery Scanners. These modules are designed for exploration, trading, and mining. Having these equipped on a Bounty Hunting Ship will waste space, use power, and add weight that could me more effectively used on offensive or defensive capabilities. THE ONE Non-Combat Item I recommend on ANY SHIP, including combat ships, trader ships, and ESPECIALLY exploration ships is a FUEL SCOOP. Sooner or later you will want to travel and combat ships historically have terrible fuel storage and jump range. To travel ANYWHERE far, you will need one. I recommend using the smallest, lowest class, cheapest Fuel Scoop available on a combat ship to save power for other modules. Who cares how long a combat vessel takes to refuel?

So When Can I Head to the HIGH and HAZ RES Sites to Make Some REAL Money? When Should I Try the "Open Play" Mode?

Once you are in a FULLY UPGRADED/OUTFITTED Cobra MK III or better, you can go ahead and visit High RES sites. With help from local police, you and your Cobra can now take on even the biggest foes, such as Anacondas and Fer De Lances. On its own, it would be able to start and finish fights with fairly powerful ships such as DiamondBack Explorers and Vultures. This is also when I recommend trying the "Open Play" Mode, as you will have a ship powerful enough to fend off most Pirate Players and in most cases they wont even risk the attack on a skilled pilot in a proper, fully outfitted ship.

As for Hazardous Sites, these get their name for a reason. These sites DO NOT have ANY LOCAL POLICE, and thus you are completely on your own taking on murderers and pirates in large and powerful ships. Because of this, HAZ RES Sites are not recommended until you have one of the largest and most powerful ships. Acceptable ships are the Imperial Clipper, Federal Gunship, Fer De Lance, Anaconda, or Federal Corvette.

So What Ship do You Currently Pilot?

I pilot a Vulture. Its the fastest and most agile of all the higher-tier fighters, only outpaced very slightly by the little Eagle. It features two Large Class Weapon Slots (or Hardpoints), giving it good firepower but not enough in sheer weapon numbers for a very versatile setup. As a result, I currently have a Large Gimballed Burst Laser and a Large Gimballed Multi-Cannon as its weapons, to give me a setup that is usable and effective against most types of ship builds from most ranges and angles. This ship does suffer badly from sub-par powerplant options. Even Fully Upgraded, I had to sacrifice a class of Thrusters and go with the B Class option to give me enough power for my weapons and defenses. However, because it is already so agile, this is hardly a sacrifice, plus the ship is a full 4 Million Credits Cheaper to build, as those class A Thrusters are EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE!

Where do you like to Bounty Hunt?

My two favorite Systems are Ross 847 and HIP 20277. Use the Galaxy Map search option in the second tab to type in these systems and locate them. Both are great systems and have High RES Sites located very close to their main docking stations. I am currently in HIP 20277. In Ross 847 I managed my best ever 4.5 Million Credits per hour and in HIP 20277 so far I have managed 3.2 Million Credits in one hour.

Well, I believe that is all you need to know to get started. If you feel I have missed something, please comment! I hope this has helped you and I hope you enjoy Bounty Hunting in Elite: Dangerous!

Wall of dense text. Probably very useful. As a beginner I would like to read something less dense

Perhaps along the lines of

[h=3]Bounty Hunting Tips[/h]
  • Always wait for an ID scan to complete before opening fire - you don't want to become the hunter becoming the hunted!
  • A Kill Warrant Scanner will increase profits - however, cashing bounty claims of other minor factions as a result of using a KWS is detrimental to the controlling faction - these are best cashed via interstellar factors which can be found in Low Security systems.
  • Look for targets primarily in Resource Extraction Sites; targets can also be found at navigation beacons. A Frame Shift Interdictor will help you pick additional targets out of super cruise, and is an essential piece of kit in a system without Resource Extraction Sites.
  • Modifying your sensors for increased range will give you a better overview of the hunting ground and help you to pick out the highest value targets.
  • Targets can also be lured to particular destinations by taking Source and Return missions - ships will often be sent to track you down, and these are invariably criminals with a price on their head!

Just so I can get playing rather than studying. YOu kno what I mean? Just like 5 or 10 bullet points so I can get on with it

Have you worked your power priorities out? You should be able to run an SRV with the bay set to turn off when hardpoints are deployed.

I'm on my mobile right now, so I can't post a coriolis build, but it should be possible.

I actually had no idea that you could automate power settings like that. Do I set the priority very low or something?

Nice try and that's a great effort, but bits of the advice are off the mark. The best and safest place to go bounty hunting for a new starter is the high RES. It's totally safe. Nobody will shoot you at all, except if you are the only ship to shoot them. All you need to do is wait until they're already engaged with the feds, then you can shoot them as much as you like without them shooting back. There's two exceptions: Both Anacondas and Gunships sometimes carry fighters. The fighters will pick on you if you shoot the mothership, so you wait until the mothership is nearly dead before you shoot it. Obviously, if you shoot any ship first, it'll shoot back at you, so always wait until the Feds fired the first shot.I always thought that you needed to wait until they were all nearly dead before opening fire, but you don't. None of them shoot back at you if you're in the Sidewinder!

Well thats nice for you bro, I never had such luck lol. For me, even if police had engaged first, if I targeted a larger ship such as a Python or whatever, it would immediately target me and kill me basically instantly.

Its why I started hunting Low and Medium RES sites instead. Worked out well, there are still local police to assist you with kills, its just more manageable targets such as Vipers and Cobras, with some Adders and Eagles mixed inbetween.

Huh, I always did wonder why they would target me. I was always yelling at the screen "Hey Moron why would you worry about the Sidewinder with tiny pulse lasers! Attack the Anaconda Officer who is ripping you to shreds!!!"

But honestly you can still make decent money in Low and Medium sites, I had my first Cobra MK III in no time, and then.when straight to High RES sites. I only recommend Lows and Mediums for the Sidewinder just because of how many dozens of times I got murdered and lost all my bounties and then rage quitted and chucked my controller across the room lol.

Wall of dense text. Probably very useful. As a beginner I would like to read something less dense

Perhaps along the lines of

[h=3]Bounty Hunting Tips[/h]
  • Always wait for an ID scan to complete before opening fire - you don't want to become the hunter becoming the hunted!
  • A Kill Warrant Scanner will increase profits - however, cashing bounty claims of other minor factions as a result of using a KWS is detrimental to the controlling faction - these are best cashed via interstellar factors which can be found in Low Security systems.
  • Look for targets primarily in Resource Extraction Sites; targets can also be found at navigation beacons. A Frame Shift Interdictor will help you pick additional targets out of super cruise, and is an essential piece of kit in a system without Resource Extraction Sites.
  • Modifying your sensors for increased range will give you a better overview of the hunting ground and help you to pick out the highest value targets.
  • Targets can also be lured to particular destinations by taking Source and Return missions - ships will often be sent to track you down, and these are invariably criminals with a price on their head!

Just so I can get playing rather than studying. YOu kno what I mean? Just like 5 or 10 bullet points so I can get on with it

Well you know, its meant to be a full, detailed tutorial so... But yea I get why you say that.

Forget about X-Box-Controller, incredible firepower and bugs from outer space. Just wing up with Imo and become rich in nearly no time. :D

Top Bottom