Newcomer / Intro Beginners Questions,

It would seem I need to douse myself with full strength humility !
After much testing and experimenting based on the advise I have been given, the problem is solidly deposited on me, and my misunderstanding of the capabilities of my map.
As a token of my most humble prostate-ness, ( Thats silly speak for bowed head, then crouching to lay face down on the floor with my head stuck into the corner of the room. ) I submit this snap of my tiny weeny ship on rout to some forgotten corner of the Galaxy where I shall practice mapisity.
rings.jpg

I regurgitate all that humble pie I had to swallow,
My sphere is now registering a 160+ Ly capacity of jumps in one . Thats 7 jumps for my ship, so something is effecting the spheres size, or amount of stars it can cope with in one blobs worth.
So it’s not at all me!

I have my graphics setting on high, as my PC it a big fat fast one built for this kind of game and 3d rendering.

There is something out side of any changes i make that is influencing the first size of the sphere

Two days ago it was limited to 60Ly, now with no changes, its now 160+Ly's. ? ! ?

I regurgitate all that humble pie I had to swallow,
My sphere is now registering a 160+ Ly capacity of jumps in one . Thats 7 jumps for my ship, so something is effecting the spheres size, or amount of stars it can cope with in one blobs worth.
So it’s not at all me!

I have my graphics setting on high, as my PC it a big fat fast one built for this kind of game and 3d rendering.

There is something out side of any changes i make that is influencing the first size of the sphere

Two days ago it was limited to 60Ly, now with no changes, its now 160+Ly's. ? ! ?

1. Try setting graphics to Ultra to see if there is a difference - also check the Galaxy Map detail level in Options/Graphics is set to High.

2. How dense are the stars in the area you are in? Since the figures I mention in an earlier post cover the number of stars the map will display, then in densely packed areas the displayed sphere must be smaller for that number or stars? (I am just speculating here.)

3. If you change the types of star displayed does that change the displayed sphere size? (Still just guessing, sorry.)

I still cannot find the old info I had about varying the number of stars the map will show, sorry.

Last edited:
I have tried all the setting changes, Graphics, star types, economy, etc.
It looks like it might be the locality I am in, but I can not be sure.
The place where I had 60Ly the sphere was what looked to be average density, now I am on the edge of and heading into a low density zone. And am getting over 200Ly . If I drag the sphere out into a very low area, the sphere stays the same volume/area.
I am sure there is a reason for this but at the moment it eludes me as to why!
Might be galactic pressure ! Thus as the star density strengthens the balloon shrinks. Or a phenomenon of that particular section of the galaxy. Who knows ! ? !

Still struggling to understand why it makes the slightest of difference. Surely you scroll to where you want to go, then select a star, not just pick one "in range"

Dommarraa, your right! It's me being a new twit on the block trying to fathom what, why, and how!
The more i understand, the less i know!

I have tried all the setting changes, Graphics, star types, economy, etc.
It looks like it might be the locality I am in, but I can not be sure.
The place where I had 60Ly the sphere was what looked to be average density, now I am on the edge of and heading into a low density zone. And am getting over 200Ly . If I drag the sphere out into a very low area, the sphere stays the same volume/area.
I am sure there is a reason for this but at the moment it eludes me as to why!
Might be galactic pressure ! Thus as the star density strengthens the balloon shrinks. Or a phenomenon of that particular section of the galaxy. Who knows ! ? !

I had a fiddle-about in-game this afternoon and I couldn't find a way to change the size of the sphere apart from changing the number in "<StarInstanceCount>4000</StarInstanceCount> " in the GalaxyMap section of the GraphicsConfiguration.xml file in the EDLAunch/Products/elite-dangerous-64 directory.

Last edited:
New Question.
When scooping, the radar shows the star/sun, with my colour settings it's a light yellow. Then at some point the scoop star changes colour! to purple. What is this colour change indicating ?
Am i too close?
The heating stays the same, the scooping seems to be working ok!
So what is the colour change for?

Not sure what the change from yellow to red indicates - but the change from red to yellow shows me that I can now start charging my FSD safely.

When you're close to the star for scooping, it shows red on the radar. As you fly away from it, it turns to yellow, then starts to shrink. If you engage your FSD when it's red, your ship will heat up.

Fule scoop.jpg

Start scooping Left, Still scooping Right, but star in radar has now changed colour !
My ship is not overheating ! I can still scoop ! What is this indicating ?

The closer you are to the star, the faster you scoop up to the maximum of your scoop. When scooping, there is a rate of scooping below which your ship will not continue to heat up that depends on your ship, it's loadout and engineering. If you nudge your ship closer to the star a step at a time and observe the heat percentage and the rate of scooping, you can find what that limit is.

If you have a big scoop and can scoop enough while you run around the star, you can get enough fuel for the next jump without burning. As a general rule, you should turn away from the star at right angles if your heat reaches 80%.

You can avoid a lot of heat and scoop faster and for longer if you reduce the power consumption of your ship by switching off every module that you don't need for travelling. That's cargo hatch, power distributor (fixed at 2-4-0 pips), weapons, limpet controllers, shields, shield boosters and anything else. Obviously, if you're running missions that bring a chance of interdiction, it's a good idea to keep your shields on.

It looks like you don't have the mouse widget switched on. it's at the bottom of the first section of the keybindings under mouse control. It puts a dot on your screen that's really useful for scooping. You must keep the dot outside the yellow ring that comes close to the star when you're moving forward, otherwise you fall into the star.

Last edited:
Start scooping Left, Still scooping Right, but star in radar has now changed colour !
My ship is not overheating ! I can still scoop ! What is this indicating ?

1. You have changed your HUD colours. Normally in the image on the left it would be orange/yellow and red in the right hand image.

2. It isn't just stars, other bodies will change to red (or whatever your colour is) to indicate danger - gravity.

So the colour change is just a warning:

Danger-Will-Robinson-warning-defects-increasing.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding the star color it is as @d8veh and @Para Handy indicated. The color changes are indicators of safety. In the case of your color scheme when you are pulling away from the star and the color is (blue/purple) and you start your FSD charge up, you will start getting heat warnings very quickly. If the star color is its original state ( light blue) and you start your FSD charge while pulling away you will rarely jump into the danger zone for heat damage.(depending on the ships heat build up prior to starting the FSD)
Regardless of star color, the safest state to start your FSD charge while pulling away from a star is when your fuel scoop disengages. When you are in a hurry (like i am most times) the star color is handy so you know when to start the FSD jump sequence as soon as possible without fear of serious heat damage while skipping through systems.

Thank you for all your help, I have now sussed it out.
I can keep my ship at a regular safe distance whilst scooping, keeping my heat to below 60. On odd occasions the star was turning purple ( my coulours !) Now I know why, Thank you.

I don't charge the FSD, until I have got far enough away so temp is in the 30’s Then its honk and see what’s around first, Then and only then do I initiate The FSD. All a bit slow I know! But I am on a gather as much data as I can, for the reward.

New Question,
After I have probed ( sent those wee missiles ) to a planet, and it has that mesh grid covering the surface. After a probing session, is there a way to turn off the mesh and expose the planet back to it’s former appearance. Is there a key binding for this, if so what is it called?

New Question,
After I have probed ( sent those wee missiles ) to a planet, and it has that mesh grid covering the surface. After a probing session, is there a way to turn off the mesh and expose the planet back to it’s former appearance. Is there a key binding for this, if so what is it called?

I believe switching from discovery mode to combat mode (The HUD modes) will remove the scanner grid. The grid may return if you switch back to Discovery mode. I know ED had issues in the past with the grid showing on planets that have yet to be scanned but i think they claimed this was corrected.

Top Bottom