Beluga Bound for Distant World's 2

Hello CMDRS,

I am prepping for the distant worlds 2 journey. I have never been out in the black for longer than a few days at most, and have been agonizing over what to bring on such a journey knowing I can't change my mind. So, I went back and forth arguing with myself between my old aspx and the krait phantom. With the phantom I was able to take more modules, so I was leaning that way but then I got back in the AspX and just couldn't resist that view, so I switched back to her.

Then I had the idea to try the Beluga and I think I've got the best of both worlds.

https://s.orbis.zone/1mwr

Any advice on this build? I'll be engineering it a bit more as it goes, but this is the basics. I get 50 lyrs.

I can repair and help the fuel rats out with some transfer if needed.

I have fighters and plenty of SRVs to have fun in on whatever shenanigans happen out in the black.

The major question I have is if I should ditch something in favor of an extra fuel tank? Is that something I'd find useful way out yonder?

Thanks for any advice.

-Wombatt

Also, the power plant and distributor on that build aren't exactly what I'll be going with, those will be dialed in as it gets engineered.

And ya, I realize some of the scanners will be almost entirely useless, but you never know and its kinda RPish

Have a play around with it to see how you want to use the fuel scoop..

A beluga with 128 takes an eternity to fill up. I've always dropped the size by a few grades and filled up every / other star, but apparently the majority just goes until its out then is happy to sit there for minutes.

You'll notice how slow it is first go.

Also, the beluga is heat sensitive, if you charge up your fsd before you're safe you will cook. Given you have no choice, id also say against status quo that heat sink launchers are not necessary, especially with your redundant repairs. I like running with the hardpoint section autohidden so never take along that junk.

Last edited:
Have a play around with it to see how you want to use the fuel scoop..

A beluga with 128 takes an eternity to fill up. I've always dropped the size by a few grades and filled up every / other star, but apparently the majority just goes until its out then is happy to sit there for minutes.

You'll notice how slow it is first go.

Also, the beluga is heat sensitive, if you charge up your fsd before you're safe you will cook. Given you have no choice, id also say against status quo that heat sink launchers are not necessary, especially with your redundant repairs. I like running with the hardpoint section autohidden so never take along that junk.

Ive taken around to Dav's Hope, so just a few jumps in her and I don't mind the fuel scooping at the moment.
I'm a fairly patient star hopper.

I do plan on trying to cool her off through engineering if I can, I noticed she was a little hotter than I'd like.

The extra hard point things are certainly unnecessary, but i don't really lose anything by bringing them. I don't need to minmax my jump if I've already got 50, imo.

I do plan on trying to cool her off through engineering if I can, I noticed she was a little hotter than I'd like.

The extra hard point things are certainly unnecessary, but i don't really lose anything by bringing them. I don't need to minmax my jump if I've already got 50, imo.

If you can skill up to only charge your fsd once your hud isn't red anymore you'll never have a heat problem with any ship. Its more the other ships let you get away with doing any random thing.

Yeah a clear hud. The beluga is all about the canopy.. i hate the bits in the middle when not hidden.. when you have modules you can use from supercruise it will always be displayed.

No point in Lightweight Mod for Lightweight hull - it's already 0T - go Heavy Duty - still 0T

Might be worth taking Research Limpets - some of the new space lifeforms can be sampled that way.

Similarly some space lifeforms react when shot - an abrasion blaster might work, I don't know ...

Not sure why ppl are recommending 1 AFMU, having a way to repair the AFMU can be useful. Especially if your ship runs hot...

Personally I'm taking a larger Repair Limpet controller as I find the size 3 don't repair much, and Limpet synth is expensive. But then again I don't have an SLF hanger, though I am tempted.

Beluga is one of the few ships that overheats easily, so I've gone for more cooling engineering, but I guess as long as you've done a test drive you know what you're in for :)

Be good to see other Beluga out there - Saud Kruger is the best way to travel!

o7

Edit: I agree with others, an extra Fuel Tank is not useful on a 'luga

Last edited:
You don't need two Heat Sink. Stock up on Basic Conductors and Heat Conduction Wiring and you can syth many more than you should need.

No point in Lightweight Mod for Lightweight hull - it's already 0T - go Heavy Duty - still 0T

Might be worth taking Research Limpets - some of the new space lifeforms can be sampled that way.

Similarly some space lifeforms react when shot - an abrasion blaster might work, I don't know ...

Not sure why ppl are recommending 1 AFMU, having a way to repair the AFMU can be useful. Especially if your ship runs hot...

Personally I'm taking a larger Repair Limpet controller as I find the size 3 don't repair much, and Limpet synth is expensive. But then again I don't have an SLF hanger, though I am tempted.

Beluga is one of the few ships that overheats easily, so I've gone for more cooling engineering, but I guess as long as you've done a test drive you know what you're in for :)

Be good to see other Beluga out there - Saud Kruger is the best way to travel!

o7

Edit: I agree with others, an extra Fuel Tank is not useful on a 'luga

Cheers, I had originally thought of bringing the Research limpet controller and then forget when I was putting the Whale together, thanks for reminding me. I might try to find a spot for one of those. Its a shame there aren't more utility slot options that are useful for exploration...

If you can skill up to only charge your fsd once your hud isn't red anymore you'll never have a heat problem with any ship. Its more the other ships let you get away with doing any random thing.

Yeah a clear hud. The beluga is all about the canopy.. i hate the bits in the middle when not hidden.. when you have modules you can use from supercruise it will always be displayed.

I'll have to play with this in game. I don't know that I've really noticed. I would have thought you could play with the fire groupings to get rid of them, but I think maybe you're talking about something else I haven't noticed.

A beluga with an extra fuel tank is like a bactrian camel with a 3rd hump.

It's just not necessary. The beluga already boasts the single largest fuel tank in the game.

Otherwise, you might consider ditching the abrasion blaster for a standard mining laser. You really don't want any cargo if you can help it. Of course, collecting things with a beluga manually is... well... she's a big ship, but has an itty bitty cargo scoop.

I tested the Beluga a lot in beta, and there was a lot I really liked about it. Do you have access to an engineer that can modify your power plant with Low Emissions/Thermal Spread experimental effect? The Beluga is awful at fuel scooping without an engineered power plant.

You should power down all the stuff you’re not using. The AFMUs and all those scanners use A LOT of power, and it might help keep it cool if you power down stuff you’re not using.

you should test out fuel scooping, before committing to the Beluga. Make a few jumps without fuel scooping, and try fuel scooping on the 4th jump and see if it gets hot. I spent most my time in the beta in a Beluga, and let the Fuel deplete, and fuel scooped when the tank was nearly bone dry, and throttled down to zero during fuel-scooping (to not pick up extra heat), and by the time the tank was full, I’d went through 2 or 3 heat sinks. AFTER engineering the power plant, fuel scooping was painless.

Last edited:
The A-rated utility scanners are taking a lot of power, probably unnecessarily - you can drop them to C-rated without losing a lot of function (C-rated engineered for long range is better and a lot more efficient than A-rated, but even if you don't have access to a long-range scanner engineer, C-rated is probably still fine)

There's a couple of mining CGs planned, so some mining lasers will help you help out with that. May also be useful for scientific purposes.

I tested the Beluga a lot in beta, and there was a lot I really liked about it. Do you have access to an engineer that can modify your power plant with Low Emissions/Thermal Spread experimental effect? The Beluga is awful at fuel scooping without an engineered power plant.

You should power down all the stuff you’re not using. The AFMUs and all those scanners use A LOT of power, and it might help keep it cool if you power down stuff you’re not using.

you should test out fuel scooping, before committing to the Beluga. Make a few jumps without fuel scooping, and try fuel scooping on the 4th jump and see if it gets hot. I spent most my time in the beta in a Beluga, and let the Fuel deplete, and fuel scooped when the tank was nearly bone dry, and throttled down to zero during fuel-scooping (to not pick up extra heat), and by the time the tank was full, I’d went through 2 or 3 heat sinks. AFTER engineering the power plant, fuel scooping was painless.

I've had to fuel scoop on some engineering related runs so far and it hasn't been too bad. Way hotter than the Phantom, but manageable. I do run with everything off though, already, so that's probably helping. That said, I do plan to engineer it a couple degrees cooler, just in case.

The A-rated utility scanners are taking a lot of power, probably unnecessarily - you can drop them to C-rated without losing a lot of function (C-rated engineered for long range is better and a lot more efficient than A-rated, but even if you don't have access to a long-range scanner engineer, C-rated is probably still fine)

There's a couple of mining CGs planned, so some mining lasers will help you help out with that. May also be useful for scientific purposes.

That's a fair point. I probably wont have time to bother engineering those scanners, but there's really no reason for them to be A. I'll be lucky if I find a legitimate use for one of them on the whole journey.

I feel like I would need to commit too much to mining to be useful. Ya, I could blast stuff off for someone else to collect, but is that really that useful? But I'll probably do that too, again, just in case. Not going to go with prospector limpet, collector, refinery, all that jazz though.

I feel like I would need to commit too much to mining to be useful. Ya, I could blast stuff off for someone else to collect, but is that really that useful? But I'll probably do that too, again, just in case. Not going to go with prospector limpet, collector, refinery, all that jazz though.

I bought all the mining gear and stored it in case I want to transfer it out and refit for the CG. Beluga should be a good miner, after all the main thing you need is lots of slots and cargo space.

Top Bottom