Newcomer / Intro Best advice for newcommers

Real talk: Don't rush anything. Especially if you have VR and HOTAS, you might just as well enjoy every last bit.
Game is quite complex with steep learning curve, but there is no point in rushing anything, credits, ships, ... stats... cuz there's already ppl with hundreds of hours in this game for past 4 years, and you needn't catch them.

[yesnod][yesnod][yesnod]

Its so often repeated that’s its incredibly boring to see the words written...

Don’t fly without a rebuy.

It is however probably the singularly most important advice for any newcomer. Wisdom distilled to five short words.

Edit: Beaten perhaps only by the words...

Enjoy it.

Last edited:
Great advice above in the first two posts...

I will suggest that research is a fun part of the game, before you invest time, materials, or credits into a specific ship, and/or engineering for said ship.

Do a google search for builds for your ship, along with watching some youtubes of ship reviews and engineering.

Make a list of the needed materials and data you'll need to engineer your ship for what you want to do (Coriolis now provides you with these lists!). After you have your list, come up with your shopping list for what you need, and go visit material traders, USS's, mining on some planets etc to get what you need.

Research is a fun thing to do while you're away from the game and provides a nice diversion in-game to run material/data 'errands' to round up what you need. Keep your stocks high and go for high grade mats where you can as mission rewards. Stop for USS's (unidentified signal source) that shows as High Grade Emissions for some good mat farming.

Enjoy the game and play it how you want to play it...try all that it has to offer to find what interests you to focus on. Exploration, trade, mining, combat, bounty hunting, passenger liner driving...it's all in there and all viable.

Stay with the sidewinder until you have the basics of flight, combat and trading down and mission running. Don't bum-rush the game and take your time getting to know the different ships of different sizes. Learn how to engineer and what to engineer.

gets awfully boring if you go from The Sidey to an Anaconda in a matter of a week or two.

Suggested websites to visit
Eddb.io
INARA.cz
EDSM.net

Apps you could use
elite dangerous market connector
EDDI
EDDiscovery

Nice websites, made me stressed about not having all the fancy mods.

Anyway, I just need 3 things:
a) a simple way to get a commodity price when I'm out in the space,
b) a simple way to plan routes, let's say i wanna find pristine ring and plot a route to it from my position,
c) discord community where I can ask ppl around and get current info on what I'd be asking.

Overall after couple dozen hours, the game is still pretty overwhelming. I'm still around 10ly of my starter area, everything looks so far, I dont orient well in what reputation I'm gaining in whose space I'm flying. I know where I can find that information on the map but it's like not prominent and I dont know or feel whether I should even bother with factions. Looks to me it does nothing for me other than better missions.

And then... there are engineers, people talk about it, but I'm yet to find out what is that. LIke a NPC thats gonna craft something special for me or what...

Anyway, I just need 3 things:
a) a simple way to get a commodity price when I'm out in the space,

https://eddb.io/. trading section. Keep in mind that the underlying database is fed from the CMDR's entries, so if you're playing on PC, consider running one of the feeder apps like EDMC to help keeping the datatbase up to date.

b) a simple way to plan routes, let's say i wanna find pristine ring and plot a route to it from my position,

In the game. Open the Galaxy map, find your target (e.g. by entering the system's name at the top left), then select "plot route".

c) discord community where I can ask ppl around and get current info on what I'd be asking.

Galactic Academy discord. Link should be at the top of every page in the newcomer's subforum, including this one.

P.S.: If you want to find a pristine metallic ring, this site isn't bad.

Last edited:
eddb looks nice, I will consider running that network thingy to feed the data, but to be honest I'm not sure how that interface will work with VR.

Also ... plotting route in ingames galaxy map is not that great, it often says no route avaible cuz like I see only like 20 ly around me, it's weird to use (and Ive already watched some YT vids about it). Ill give it a try. Discord yes, gonna try it

eddb looks nice, I will consider running that network thingy to feed the data, but to be honest I'm not sure how that interface will work with VR.

Also ... plotting route in ingames galaxy map is not that great, it often says no route avaible cuz like I see only like 20 ly around me, it's weird to use (and Ive already watched some YT vids about it). Ill give it a try. Discord yes, gonna try it

1. If you run EDMC, it just sits there and uploads market data when you dock, you can ignore it once started (assumed you log it in). If you use EDDiscovery then it updates the market data when you open the commodity market screen - again, you can ignore it and leave it running.

2. The "sphere" of stars you see in the GalMap can be made bigger if you wish, no doubt a google search will tell you how to increase the number displayed (as I can't remember offhand what I did to do this). The sphere also moves as you move the centre point in the map (controls for moving are listed in the manual) - I understand VR users find it best to map some HOTAS buttons to these movement controls (I just use the default mouse control).

I said something similar in another thread:

* You will be totally miserable if you compare your progress to others. So just play the game and that gigantic boat you were told you wanted will be there when you get there, probably sooner than you expected if you do it right.
* Don't overlook the value of allied status with factions, so be willing to sacrifice a few low paying data courier missions for REP.
* Do not fly without rebuy. If you do, do NOT lament about flying the 'winder once you go 'splodey.
* Failure is a learning experience and it's easy to make progress if you can figure out where you went wrong. I went to Maia in a Cobra and the only thing I regret was tangling with a Thargoid Scout before I could dump my scan data.
* Do not overlook the value of using a Sidewinder or other low-risk vessel for risky missions.
* Do not be ashamed of the docking computer. Yes, you'll want that slot for something else later, but until you're used to flying: use it.

My best advice is not to tell anybody when you find a good way to make money. You can guarantee that FD will nerf it in the next update or immediately if it makes more than a million an hour for new starter or 100 mil per hour for anybody else.

Top Bottom