Best beginner mining ships 3.3

The game needs mining ships.

We can at least call the Phantom an explorer ship. It's python class and therefore roomy enough to be an upgrade from the Asp yet not so expensive or "end game" as the anaconda. A few others for variety's sake (same as combat ships god) would be NICE, but at least the basic lineup is there. One in every broad class.

Mining, not so much. At least two. Four eventually. Having six would be nice.

They'll need to be trader/miners ostensibly, because mining == trading, but with more gun ports/maneuvering. If the midrange gets overpopulated or encroaching on trader ships happening, maybe trend them to armed traders, like the Keelback, but with more trade and less fight in it.

Heck, the T series could do with bigger gun ports, maybe even more of them. If the T-s have a powerplant/distributor combo that makes turrets usable (if barely) at a larger size, but not enough to manage gimbals or fixed weapons, they don't become fighters, they can just defend themselves. For a higher rebuy cost. Miners could be mobile enough to use gimbals with rather than turrets, so there would still be a gap for optimal play.

And make trading like a proper job, not having to rely on missions to give you somewhere to trade as a guarantee is needed. The python class may be optimal for running trade missions, but only because you can't get enough trade missions to fill a type 9. If you could reliably and elegantly find a multi-stage trade loop or transit that capitalises on your cargo hold for maximum credits per hour, trade missions would only be icing on the cake for the biggest trading ship. The python would not get a look in.

Maybe I've just had a bad experience with a Type 9....

Being interdicted and not being able to simply escape, is just annoying, and the type 9 paper shields didn't help. I even had to sacrifice cargo for a bigger shield, which had little effect lol. Now I have a Conda as a large trader.

I'll make a list of what I like the look of anyway, just to give people an idea of my playstyle, that'll probably help.

Yeah the T9 is frustrating. NPC interdictions can spiral out of control if you're unlucky (or caught at zero throttle to avoid planting facefirst into a star) and even when you win, you have spent AGES trying to win. Giving up doesn't work uness you're heavily engineered. Shield resists stacking and thrusters. But against players, that STILL doesn't help. At least the cutter is fast enough for you to give up and submit then RSLG successfully from anything big enough to take you on, if they're an NPC....

NOTE: Aekero, the Cobra 4 is better at mining than the 3. Not a starter ship, though, since someone with that has played the game for years Asp probably the smallest worth using. If FDS had cargo (you know, for dropping in a firezone) it would be sweet too.

Last edited:
OTE: Aekero, the Cobra 4 is better at mining than the 3. Not a starter ship, though, since someone with that has played the game for years Asp probably the smallest worth using. If FDS had cargo (you know, for dropping in a firezone) it would be sweet too.

I don't have access to the IV, so it's a mute point.

I'm more concerned about rebuy. Am I going to die alot, and how many runs before I can afford to die. The more expensive the ship, the longer it tends to take becuase cargo capacity doesn't increase that much compared to price, bar the type 9 but that's a death trap.

I learned how to run long before I could afford even a Python let alone a Conda. My first ship after the Sidewinder, was a T6, I upgraded to "D's", no weapons, and all shield booster in utilites. Hauled max loads of cargo, and never lost a mini game, not one. However, I never ever hesitated to either low or high wake, and new exactly which I was going to do prior. Though I was only in solo at the time, some will tell you that NPC's are as bad as humans. Where as they are just as bad, and more numerious than human, they just aren't as illogical as humans. Inso much as they are just part of some alogorithm, no logic at all, humans have logic, but most of it is illogical. Case in point would be "Griefer's, Murder Hobos's ...

Another Clipper miner here (ship name "Miner Threat"). I've tried it for new mining and it's OK except:

1) widely separated hardpoints make close aiming tricky (you basically have to aim way off center and remember which side each module is mounted on)
2) it's actually quite a big ship to manoeuvre inside the remains of a cracked asteroid

I'm going to try the Krait Phantom next.

Day #1 (just sub-surface mining) and so far I'm liking the Krait Phantom a lot. Incidentally, what inspired me to try the Krait was the livestream about the mining equipment and the idea that the fabulous looking new mining equipment would be visible on those two hardpoints above and either side of the canopy. They do look pretty awesome and I love the yellow JCB-like industrial look of the stuff.

rkP8oN5.png

The Krait II is a mining rock star, it can carry all of the new stuff and 2 medium mining lasers, all in good effective locations. I had been using it as my main miner since I got one and I totally love it.

The Phantom works really well as a deep core miner that can still strip a rock pretty nicely.

It could even be a moot point. But I'll remain mute on that.

:p

On that note, there has to be others who think that the correct way - saying "moot point" - is also nonsensical, because a "moot" is a quasi-democratic gathering to discuss things, and so if something is a "moot point" it technically should be something open for debate, and not a closed given... right?

Since my Asp X was made redundant as my go to fast travel ship by my newly purchased Krait Phantom, rather than sell the Asp, I refitted it to be my trying out mining ship and does a decent job of it, enough hardpoints and internals for all the gear needed.

Adding my thumbs up for the Imperial Clipper (Large pad). I only do deepcore mining with seismic charge launcher and abrasive blaster equipped at the medium hardpoints for better aiming.
It is quick, highly maneuverable and fits all i need for this, prospect & collector limpets, 4A Refinery plus 192t cargo. No defensive weaponry. Its high topspeed is used to outrun interdictors.
Plus, it gives you eargasms the whole time as well. :)

Second favorite: Krait Mk II. Pretty much same outfitting on this. Little slower and lesser cargospace (i use 128t), but i shift between them often. Variety.

I have also tried the Anaconda and T10, but while they are able to equip everything and all stuff for everything possible at the same time, they're just too big and slow.
Personal fav of the massive ships; Anaconda.

The Python is alright. Good internals, but i feel it is lacking in maneuverability compared to the Clipper, so i pass on the Python.

Will try more ships. Next is Cobra Mk IV.
My Cutter is already outfitted for this but i can almost see the results in my head. No seismic charges needed, just.. plow through the whole field trying to stop.

Last edited:
Since my Asp X was made redundant as my go to fast travel ship by my newly purchased Krait Phantom, rather than sell the Asp, I refitted it to be my trying out mining ship and does a decent job of it, enough hardpoints and internals for all the gear needed.

I did the same and I would say that the Asp X is the perfect ship for trying it out. Enough internals and 6 hardpoints for all the new mining gear and perhaps even a defensive weapon or two, though I'd hate to count on them in a real fight. Sadly, it wasn't big enough for me to make it a mining and general material collector ship without swapping modules.

I was testing out some of the new mining last night.

There is a major bug that seriously affects smaller ships. If you don't have a DSS fitted to your ship, you can't use hotspots. So a DSS becomes compulsory mining equipment. For a ship like the Adder, you have a choice of either not using shields or not using collectors. I chose to keep shields and manually scoop.

The Adder I was mining in last night has 8t cargo, DSS, 2A shields, 2A refinery, 1A prospector, pulse scanner, seismic charge launcher and abrasive blaster. It's all A-rated and G5 engineered, so about 7 million. But you could easily build a good mining Adder for under 500K.

One 30 minute trip and I returned with 13 tonnes of cargo worth about 230K/t - so about 3 million.

Yeah, the Adder makes a great entry-level miner, especially if they can fix the DSS issue.

Although I'm a bit curious how you did one trip in your 8 ton Adder and came back with 13 tons of cargo. ;) Damn Time-Lord Adders!

There is a major bug that seriously affects smaller ships. If you don't have a DSS fitted to your ship, you can't use hotspots.

There's no need for a DSS as you don't need to go for hotspots. I haven't used one since beta.

I went out tonight and just dropped into a ring at random. I found cores fairly easily - 1 Grandiderite, 1 opal and 2 Alexandrite. I made 12mil in under an hour.

As far as ships go; Adder is a good starter, Viper IV is an excellent next step and after a couple of runs you'll soon be able to buy something bigger.

Personally I use FDS as my miner of choice for Core mining. You can have abrasion and seismic plus 2 beams and a large multicannon :D

Last edited:
There's no need for a DSS as you don't need to go for hotspots. I haven't used one since beta.

I went out tonight and just dropped into a ring at random. I found cores fairly easily - 1 Grandiderite, 1 opal and 2 Alexandrite. I made 12mil in under an hour.

As far as ships go; Adder is a good starter, Viper IV is an excellent next step and after a couple of runs you'll soon be able to buy something bigger.

Personally I use FDS as my miner of choice for Core mining. You can have abrasion and seismic plus 2 beams and a large multicannon :D

I'm a cheap skate, not broke. I have a trade conda . Granted I use my passenger T7 more, but still.

I just don't want to sink a lot of money into mining just in case. Yes, I'm overly cautious. If the adder can't fit everything, it's probably a no go. A viper IV or Cobra III isn't that expensive anyway.

Engineered Cobra MK IV - does all mining while also still being able to carry an SRV, and kill any pirates that turn up :)

Top Bottom