Best day and time for CQC

Now that I have VR, I'm actually finding CQC to be enjoyable. Problem is that often there's nobody around to match with. What are the best times (use game time) and days to find other players in 2020? I prefer Team Deathmatch, though I'm not looking to join an official squadron. That's not to say I wouldn't "wing up" with other players who want to play as a team, but rather that CQC will still be a side-game that I'll play on occasion rather than something I want to dedicate time to. If I could take my CQC rank from Harmless to Competent, that alone would make me happy!

Arguendo

Volunteer Moderator
There should be a CQC Discord you can join and talk to people there. Found this invite in an old post from 2017, so not sure if that is active, but I am sure someone else will come in and correct it if it isn't.

The best times are usually 6pm - 11pm; you can almost always find a standard deathmatch at these times. TDMs are a bit more rare as they require 4 people to start, and due to the minimalistic lobby there's no way of knowing how many other people are also waiting until there's 4 at the same time (this is why the Discord was set up). Arranged TDMs are usually done via the Discord and you'll get a notification when one is due to start, but if you don't want to join then they usually happen around 7pm. There's a lot more activity at the weekend so you have more chance of jumping into a random TDM then. Sometimes you get lucky.

CTF mode is hardly ever played, you'll die of starvation before ever finding a match there. Which is a shame as it's the most fun.

As far as I understand, discord is harmful in the mode, each for itself. Since it gives others to unite against anyone.

Plenty of deadmatches at GMT+1 afternoons, you can play almost everyday.

However there is a lack of average players and it won't be long until a level 50 player enter the game and ruin it for the rest.

They are the actual CQC gankers and make this mode unplayable for any beginner.

Last edited:
I found a pretty full Deathmatch last night. I still prefer Teams, which was empty.

While I dislike Discord, I do have it on my iPad, and if I only need it to arrange a match, well, I can tolerate it. I have no interest in using it for voice comms. There's no reason this cannot be done using ED's built-in comms. I will not be installing Discord on my laptop (it's already crudded up with too much junk - Steam, Oculus, etc).

I use Discord to say a match has just started rather than to try and plan one, sometimes get 3-4 people jumping straight in. Discord has saved CQC on XB for me.

I generally go for pot-luck in terms of time, but aim for USA timezone players so 6pm onwards, weekends maybe earlier, got a good match last Sunday around 14.00 - 15.00. Last night at 19.00 got few full matches.

Havent managed to get any game of CTF or TDM yet, annoying as more winners so more points for everyone :) Have sat with 3 players in TDM for 15 minutes :(

low level - just stick with it, it is easier at higher level of course but skill does count for a lot and Im amazed how much better I am now with low level ships than I was when I fist unlocked them, although obviously I use GU97 with heat beam now Ive got them :) you get points for finishing so you will get to the better ships. Gang up on the Eagles and Sideys, try not to attack if they have 3 shields in a busy game, someone else will kill you first, wait until someone else damages them or is attacking them and join in...look for the person being attacked and join in then attack the attacker....look for beams and follow them to target, easier than finding them on radar sometimes...learn where the power-ups are, especially the red weapons and blue shields one for beginners....pip management is crucial and different for every loadout...don't be afraid to hit n run and dont get attached to one target, the one flashing in radar is the one attacking you. I hated it at first and the loadouts are rubbish but you will get there and it is good fun with a busy game. Some people are flying demons & fighting monsters, just try and learn from them while you rank up. Most are happy to chat or accept friends and give advice or invite you to forums or discord etc

However, if you want the buzz with better 'game', try joining multi crew bounty hunting and take a fighter out, I love it the only downside is you don't get mats. I often fly zero pips to shields doing this, theyre just not needed most of the time.

Better yet, do both, they both pay off into the other and are great fun.

While I dislike Discord, I do have it on my iPad, and if I only need it to arrange a match, well, I can tolerate it. I have no interest in using it for voice comms.
CQC Discord is mainly text chat only. I hardly ever see anyone in the voice channels. As long as you are a member of the server and pick your platform when you join, you'll get notifications when people are looking for matches. Or you can send a ping yourself if you want a TDM, a lot of people like it so like Vetinari says you'll usually get a few takers. It's a lot quicker than sitting in the lobby and hoping.

Discord is also available in a portable version, it's the one I use. You can run it off a USB stick if you prefer, you don't even need to install it.

Old Duck... no need to be on cqc discord. It's only useful if you want to know when vets try to start TDM. I find games no problem without being on that channel.

Best time to find a match is 6pm-10pm UK time. ALWAYS try Deathmatch first.

However there is a lack of average players and it won't be long until a level 50 player enter the game and ruin it for the rest.
They are the actual CQC gankers and make this mode unplayable for any beginner.

I usually kill those rank 50 players (as I always focus on high rank players first when I play) and they usually tuck their tails and run to cqc discord to ask for help to gank me or talk crap about me how evil and bad I am buehehe. Many of them are just clowns farming noobs and afk players.

Last edited:
I usually kill those rank 50 players (as I always focus on high rank players first when I play) and they usually tuck their tails and run to cqc discord to ask for help to gank me or talk crap about me how evil and bad I am buehehe. Many of them are just clowns farming noobs and afk players.

Yes indeed, your mere presence automatically rebalances the match.
That's the reason why all noob players look forward to join the game instance that you are playing.

Good Luck! :p

TDM can be fun when it's balanced. It usually is not.

Best TDMs are when noobs play vs noobs and veterans play vs veterans. TDMs that cqc discord offers are veterans +noobs together and hoping for the best that the matchmaker doesn't screw it over for everyone. And hell yes it does it most of the time.

Low population is the main issue cqc has. Noobs are usually in the game with veterans and that can't be helped when everyone wants to play. But it's still better than having no game at all.

Being a noob doesn't mean you have to avoid veterans. I was actually playing with veterans all the time and I watched what they do and learnt quicker (I was 2 years late to the party). Yes I was dying a lot, yes they were picking on me when I was showing to be a bit better than the rest of the noobs, I think some of them were even trying to make me quit. They made me what I am now. You just have to have certain attitude towards cqc in order to do well here and no matter what never give up.

Last edited:
Managed to play a few games today. A first for me, I've waited in queue several times before with no luck. I was paired as a level one against several high 40s and a few 50s. With that said, it was still a BLAST!! I wish I had tried CQC sooner! What a great time. There are some amazing pilots playing. I'm not one of them, but I'd like to think I improved a bit. Please keep queuing up commanders! I can't get enough!

You might be flying backwards in the same direction too much and leaving the 'combat zone' hence the self-destruct. Don't think its a penalty just for doing it but have no way of knowing for sure.

Didn't know about the CQC available during updates down time, hope this is correct on all formats, if so lets make sure it gets mentioned on any future update thread :)

Think CQC got a bad name originally for some reason (instancing and rubber-banding, not 'part of the game' etc) so few people have given it another chance and realised how much it has progressed and how much fun it can be.

1. I do not understand. The number of players in this mode is small and MM is forced to put players with a level 1 and 50 into battle, but for some reason the choice of weapons and ships and them is different.
2. As I suggested (in the suggestions section) to introduce another mode into this mode - battle on your corals from the main game.
So that the wings can arrange battles among themselves and any players to test their builds. But as usual, my proposal does not deserve interest.

Top Bottom