Best Guess on How much for the Fleet Carrier will cost

I haven't been able to find any more details other than the "Purchase with a Large amount of credits", so..

How much and why?

I'm guessing 2 Billion because any more would be out of the reach of the average player.

I'm guessing 2 Billion because any more would be out of the reach of the average player.

I would have to agree, it needs to be a price at which wealtrhy veterans will feel the hit, yet still be reachable for less wealthy players. my guess is that perhaps the carrier itself will be around 1000 million credits, but that if you want to upgrade it to its full potential, that will cost a lot more. That way everyone is sort of catered to.

What on Arexack makes you think that FD want "the average player" to own one? They're the much-asked-for "end-game content". Top 10% of players, at most. Preferably top 1%. They should be incredibly rare. Seeing one should make you go "Wow!", not "Oh no, not another one".

I'm not top 10%. I've got 4 billion credits in the bank, and there's no way I should be able to afford one, not for another decade or so.

What on Arexack makes you think that FD want "the average player" to own one?

Two things, a lot of players have been asking for less grind, not more, and despite the healthy pvp community, Elite is still largely played by people who do their own thing, and aren't competing with anyone other than themselves. I've played on and off for three years and have only really peaked at a billion credits, it's less now after buying a fuel scoop for a type 10. Admittedly i'm in the 'noob' category, someone who doesn't use outside sites very often, but i don't think this category of player is that rare either.

Considering the carrier belongs to the squadron and not the individual player (well, maybe the squadron leader), it could cost considerably more than 2 Billion.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
Considering the carrier belongs to the squadron and not the individual player (well, maybe the squadron leader), it could cost considerably more than 2 Billion.

Actually, no. Fleet carriers are confirmed to be purchasable (and own-able) by individual commanders.

Anyway, my best guess is probably 500mil up to 2 billion. I know some commanders have way more bank than that, but I can't imagine FD will price them in the tens of billions. That's just too far outside of most people's abilities to earn. (yes, us vets know about all the gold rushes, but not everyone is so hardcore). That would put it a bit above a stock Cutter (the most expensive ship) at the bottom and a bit above an A rated Cutter at the top.

Last edited:

Said the same thing elsewhere but it probably does depend on how many credits the "average player" has.
FDev will probably look at the stat's and then decide if Carriers should be within the budget of the top 10% of players, the top 5%, 1% or whatever.

Thing is, to use CGs as a comparison, it's usually really easy to get into the top 50% of a CG, a bit harder to get into the top 25%, considerably harder to get into the top 10% and insanely difficult to get into the top 1%.
The people at the top end put in a lot of effort and, as a result, there's huge gulf between the top 10% and the top 1%.

Same thing applies to Credits.
50% of players might have, for example, less than Cr1bn, 25% might have 1-5bn, 15% might have 5-10bn, 9% might have 10-25bn and 1% might have more than Cr25bn.
If FDev decide that Carriers should be within the reach of the top 25% of players, they'll be priced at between Cr5bn and Cr10bn.
If they decide Carriers should be for the top 5% then they might be anything up to Cr25bn and if they decide they're for the top 1% then they might cost more than Cr25bn. 😧

Ask yourself, honestly, how common you think FDev might want Carriers to be.
Do you think they're going to want Carriers to be a common sight, in every system where players can be found?

Check out any thread on Credits and you'll find there are plenty of people who seem to get their jollies from making number go up.
It might be VOs, massacre missions, skimmer missions or passenger missions but there are plenty of people who just relentlessly farm these things to gain massive amounts of Credits.
There are players out there who, like those who put a lot of effort into CGs, put a lot of effort into gaining credits.

Don't be surprised if it turns out Carriers cost more than you think they will.

Here's what I get from this thread and others, regarding the various sentiments around the cost of the carriers and to a large extent people's feelings about "other people" in this game:

TL;DR: I am personally somewhere on the "Logic" scale (sentiments 1 & 3), taking bits from both arguments. I think it will be priced somewhere between 500M - 1B base, and support vessels will be in a similar range.

(Writing in first person):

Sentiment 1 (Logic - Simulation): The carrier should be expensive for "realism" reasons, because it's clearly massive. Reason dictates it shouldn't be absurdly expensive because the base version appears to simply be a transport vessel, and thus wouldn't have expensive tech aboard other than its frame shift drive. Since upgrades come in the form of huge support vessels, these will be similarly priced or even more (again, depending on the implied amount of tech on board).
Estimate: 500M - 2B CR (base)

Sentiment 2 (Overreaction - virtual ban):
The carrier should be unobtainable by all but the most obscenely wealthy players, because either
a) I have a very vivid picture of seeing systems teeming with these things (even though instance caps are already a clear obstacle to this, and FDev are free to impose any arbitrary, new "carrier cap" they want) and that bothers me because ED is a hyper-realistic simulation that is basically a window into the future at this point.
b) I don't like it that new players can get big ships really quickly because I was around in the early days when that wasn't possible, and they should suffer like me; this brings the suffering back, hurrah!
c) I am super CR-wealthy and want my endgame, even though this game isn't meant to have one; was there any other reason for me to have played this game more than I have slept or worked IRL over the same time span?
Estimate: 10-20B CR

Sentiment 3 (Logic - Real-world):
FDev wants players to use this new content (because the players are FDev's QA department) so the price will probably not be too crazy for determined players and certainly not die-hard players who have already sacrificed their pound of flesh (or 10). Putting a "second job" grind wall behind this content means that it will almost never get used, so how is that attracting new players or getting existing players to either keep playing or play more? Since FDev has already said you'll need to grind for a new "unique" fuel to keep this thing going, they already have something to keep people chained to their seat. Finally, would FDev spend a full YEAR on this content, hype it to hell with teasers and info dumps, then watch as nobody used it? Nope, FDev will make this accessible.
Estimate: 250M CR - 1B CR (base)

Sentiment 4 (Narcissism):
The carrier should cost (not much/a lot) because I (don't grind CR/have grinded CR like a beotch) and FDev considers ME as their IDEAL player!
Estimate: 100M CR/25B CR

Last edited:
An Imperial Cutter is already almost 1.3 billion, and while I think that the carriers will have a hefty price tag slapped on them, at the same time Frontier probably want them to be accessible for a lot of folk. In the trailer an Anaconda docking with the carrier looked like a fly, and if we put things in perspective - well, I'm gonna say 14 billion or thereabouts.

Top Bottom