Best HMD for Elite

I'm now very interested in the Lenovo.

I only play cockpit games (Assetto Corsa, Project Cars and whatever flight/fighter sims) like Elite. Zero interest in anything else.

I have Ryzen 2600k but only 1070 which so far does an admiral job (Obvs relies heavily on Oculus asw/atw)

I am generally happy with visual quality. What does get me is FoV. Even a little better would be awesome.

Lenovo has 105 FoV? What is the CV1's FoV?
Thanks!

Only pimax has large fov. All other headsets have about the same fov. So if fov is your thing get 2080ti and pimax 5k

My view of the Odyssey+ is evolving, text clarity is really good now that I'm getting to grips with making it fit my head.

I've updated my review to reflect this. It may become my main headset for Elite if I can make it comfortable enough.

The O+ is too die for - when you lock it in. It has a small sweetspot, and a quite odd system to latch it to your scalp, but when you lock it in (and it isnt uncomfortable), it is just AMAZING. I got it for $300 US, and with no need for wall trackers I am quite pleased. Again, I sometimes fight to lock in the sweetspot and dont have a clue why its so hard to get it locked in. It does get uncomfortable, but that is also finding the sweetspot on my head and then its fine.
Some tracking issues come up now and then.
I had a rare bit of time this Saturday and spend 6 hours in Elite. I needed a break after 3 hours for 30 minutes or so, but was right back in for another 3 hours.
Comfort aside, the visuals in the O+ and Elite are just mesmerizing, I cant get enough.

Last edited:
My view of the Odyssey+ is evolving, text clarity is really good now that I'm getting to grips with making it fit my head.

I've updated my review to reflect this. It may become my main headset for Elite if I can make it comfortable enough.

This is the problem I have also is it looks great but the fit is terrible gives you a headache right in the middle of my forehead after wearing for like an hour. Ordered a top strap and waiting for VR cover to get restock and going to add those 2 items to see if I can get it comfortable. I really like the headset it is just uncomfortable

Last edited:
After running numerous benchmark i can tell that on 1080TI ED is CPU bound most of the time. It doesn't matter if i run at 100% SS or 200%. 1080TI is powerful enough to run ED with 200% steamSS and all settings(except shadow and AO) maxed out. CPU is another story. In Res, when there is lot of action going, motion reprojection kicks in no matter which graphics settings and steamSS i use and it's caused by CPU.

Last edited:
After running numerous benchmark i can tell that on 1080TI ED is CPU bound most of the time. It doesn't matter if i run at 100% SS or 200%. 1080TI is powerful enough to run ED with 200% steamSS and all settings(except shadow and AO) maxed out. CPU is another story. In Res, when there is lot of action going, motion reprojection kicks in no matter which graphics settings and steamSS i use and it's caused by CPU.
Which CPU is this with? I think you said you were upgrading your i5?

Which CPU is this with? I think you said you were upgrading your i5?

Yes, i've upgraded from i5-8400@3.8Ghz to i5-9600k@5.0Ghz. Things are much smoother now, it usually runs at 90 fps most of the time. However in Res sites and in conflicts zones that are close to planets when lots of action going on fps drops and motion re-projection kicks in because of CPU (i use fpsVR to monitor frame times). It looks like (this is just an idea) that this is caused by huge amount of energy weapons/projectiles trajectories engine has to handle.

My point was that reprojections never caused by GPU. I've even tested it with 100% steamSS and 0.5HMD, motion re-projection still kicks in.

Last edited:
Yes, i've upgraded from i5-8400@3.8Ghz to i5-9600k@5.0Ghz. Things are much smoother now, it usually runs at 90 fps most of the time. However in Res sites and in conflicts zones that are close to planets when lots of action going on fps drops and motion re-projection kicks in because of CPU (i use fpsVR to monitor frame times). It looks like (this is just an idea) that this is caused by huge amount of energy weapons/projectiles trajectories engine has to handle.

My point was that reprojections never caused by GPU. I've even tested it with 100% steamSS and 0.5HMD, motion re-projection still kicks in.
Thanks that's really interesting to know for 6 core i5 performance.

I played ED initially with an Oculus DK2 starting back in 2014. Now using a Samsung Odyssey+. Between them, I have tried the following:

DK2 - My first VR set and now it seems ancient. But during it's day, it was great. Despite the SDE, I used this headset all the way into 2017! It had a big sweet spot, no god-rays, nice contrast and the VR immersion kept me playing Elite when I probably would have stopped if not for VR.

Oculus CV1 - Everyone knows about it and probably at one point tried it. In my opinion, not that much of a bump from the DK2 in regards of resolution. Yeah, slightly lower SDE but the god-rays...jeez. But a solid workhorse at its prime. Best touch controllers for games that use it.

HP WMR - Got it for $199 and wanted to see how the WMRs compared and worked. Honestly, I like the WMR sets. They are under-rated for what they can do. The Lenovo is probably the best of the original WMRs but I liked the HP due to the comfort and detachable cable since I used it with my gaming laptop and it was very portable. I found the HP WMR the most comfortable HMD and could wear it for hours without issues and no messed up hair..lol. The main drawback of the HP specifically was the tiny sweet spot. If you move your eye, the edges are blurry.

Oculus Go - Yes, I was curious how the screen looked in Elite since the new Rift S is technically using the same screen. I used ALVR and got it to work with Elite. The resolution and SDE were not bad and actually better than I expected. But I could tell a huge difference with not having an AMOLED screen as the colors and contrast were no match to the CV1 and Samsung O+. I'm afraid that if the Rift S display is indeed the exact same as the Go, it is a step-backwards in my opinion (no AMOLED or manual IPD either).

Samsung Odyssey+ - Probably the best deal (when on sale for $299) with great tech as it has the same resolution as the Vive Pro, manual IPD adjustments, beautiful AMOLED and an anti-SDE screen. No base stations to worry about and built-in bluetooth for the controllers. The main cons are a small vertical sweet spot (takes a while to 'lock' it in) and the comfort. This thing was extremely uncomfortable and I had a raging headache by an hour. BUT, if you replace the cover with a 3rd party like VR Cover and add a top strap (both about $30 each), it became very comfortable and is now my go-to and favorite HMD of all current sets I have tried. I play everything from Elite to Skyrim with it and love it. The anti-SDE does make a huge difference and I don't have issues with "soft" or "blurry" images as others may have indicated.

Tri Velo

This is the problem I have also is it looks great but the fit is terrible gives you a headache right in the middle of my forehead after wearing for like an hour. Ordered a top strap and waiting for VR cover to get restock and going to add those 2 items to see if I can get it comfortable. I really like the headset it is just uncomfortable

Hey Raptoid, only just saw this. I had the headache in the middle of my forehead, what sorted was removing all the built in padding. I thought the forehead part was glued on initially, but it's a plastic pop on which can be unpopped.
A thin flat headed screw driver worked best, starting on the bottom nearest the screen, work from the outside in.
Without any of the odyssey+ own padding, new face padding and a head strap its now comfortable.
I'll pm too, cheers

Interesting stuff, thanks, my CV1 is gradually falling apart so I could do with reading around a bit for something new. If it was in better condition it sounds like it would be better to hang on for now maybe?

Top Bottom