Best HMD for Elite

I don't see how it is a "scam"? If you are going to say something like that you really should elaborate your meaning.

Did you watch the video? Sweviver has no reason to scam anyone and he actually tried the headset. Like others have said though right now it's far out of mainstream reach in terms of price.

Well I was perhaps a little harsh. It just sounds a bit too good to be true and normally when things sound too good to be true they are. I missed the price so now it makes sense.

I didn’t mean to accuse Sweviver of scamming. His videos are really good.

You really going to drop 5k on a headset? Not practical imo.
Ofc the price is ridiculous, see that note about the time I said people should watch? It has to do with the price and how I am sure most of us feel about it , plus it hilarious...lol

It does however show what can be done and is actually possible with VR so it's something all the current "consumer" VR HMD need to aspire to right now.

Short 10 sec clip.

Last edited:
This thread is very interesting and I'd like to thank people that have posted. I pre-ordered the Rift S last night, but on reading this thread I have now cancelled that and am instead considering the Odyssey+ (which works out the same price delivered if I use Big Apple Buddy). I love all the specs of the Rift-S except that they've dropped the OLED - and this is the prime reason I cancelled my pre-order.

I'm going to spend this evening going through the various HMDs.

My main concern about the Odyssey+ is the tracking. It is inside out, the same as the Rift? Has anyone had problems with it?

This thread is very interesting and I'd like to thank people that have posted. I pre-ordered the Rift S last night, but on reading this thread I have now cancelled that and am instead considering the Odyssey+ (which works out the same price delivered if I use Big Apple Buddy). I love all the specs of the Rift-S except that they've dropped the OLED - and this is the prime reason I cancelled my pre-order.

My main concern about the Odyssey+ is the tracking. It is inside out, the same as the Rift? Has anyone had problems with it?
Tracking is perfect as long as you have a bit of light in the room. You will want to get the too strap from studioformcreative and the vr cover face pad. Also check eBay. One just sold for £320 which is a lot cheaper then imported

Tracking is perfect as long as you have a bit of light in the room. You will want to get the too strap from studioformcreative and the vr cover face pad. Also check eBay. One just sold for £320 which is a lot cheaper then imported

It works out £360 to import through Big Apple Buddy, so not much cheaper (though depending upon the mood of customs, there may be 20% added, I guess). I avoid Ebay where I can, it is just a hotbed of fakes these days (just like Amazon Marketplace). :)

Funnily enough, quite often when I take off the Rift I discover I am sat in complete darkness! But the room does have lights, so that shouldn't be an issue. I think the Odyssey+ is currently my likely choice, but I'll mull it over for another few days.

The Xtal is a revelation in more ways than one. Up until now it seems all VR headsets give better visual quality using supersampling (up and down sampling). I've never understood this - why not native resolution with anti-aliasing like regular monitors?

Supersampling will give a better image than anti-aliasing on normal monitors too, but it is a huge performance hit.

I would imagine the best would be the Varjo VR1, judging by the price.

https://varjo.com

Are any of you rich commanders thinking about getting one?

7k USD for a mere 90deg FOV???

Was it made by Unicorns????

I have a HP WMR and paid like 430eur for it, with THAT pricetag i can accept the limited 90FOV but for 7k i'd expect a liiittle more.

Would add a review of the HP in here but i haven't played ED yet.

Inside out tracking seems to be a regular concern, but given my personal experience (Lenovo wmr) I'm never quite sure why. As long as you don't want to play in the dark its excellent. Certainly something like elite doesn't stretch any tracking abilities. I've tried getting the tracking to mess up in games like beat saber and robo recall and never managed it.

7k USD for a mere 90deg FOV???

Was it made by Unicorns????

I have a HP WMR and paid like 430eur for it, with THAT pricetag i can accept the limited 90FOV but for 7k i'd expect a liiittle more.

Would add a review of the HP in here but i haven't played ED yet.

You will have at least one eager reader if you do. I'm not impressed by the specs of the Rift S. I'll most likely jump platforms when I'm purchasing my next headset

You will have at least one eager reader if you do. I'm not impressed by the specs of the Rift S. I'll most likely jump platforms when I'm purchasing my next headset

Personally i'm happy with the HP, though i suggest you try it before making the decision, they all have their pros and cons and your comp specs will also play into the mix of course
i have a 7700k and 1080Ti, the HP i use more casually (except of course when i got it first.) and from Vinyl Reality, MasterpieceVR and such tools to some interesting games.
HOWEVER, i do want to get a new HMD when the next good one comes out, and if you want to play shooters and such, i'd still say a roomtracking HMD system is the better choice. The downside of the WMR headsets are the cameras, they sometimes lose sight of the controllers (which is logical when you aim with one hand and reload the other weapon without looking at it at the same time) nso, WMR HMDs are great for casual gaming, which is in par with their price tags.

So right about comfort on the odyssey plus. Tried so many ways to get this working, but never got there. They did something strange to the shape compared to the previous version. Not sure what it was. Sold mine in the end.

I also have comfort issues with the Pimax 5k plus. I have a low IPD (about 59) and it kills my nose! I've tried various fixes but in the end if I can reduce the pain with padding it restricts my breathing. Will wait to see if they release foam replacements - or sell it later.

Samsung Odyssey+
==============

• Excellent image clarity, quality, contrast and colour depth. Beautifully black blacks
  • Almost no SDE
  • Comfortable ergonomic controllers (for WMR) and bluetooth built into headset so no adapter needed
  • Good quality headphones built in
  • manual IPD adjustment, much greater range than other WMR headsets

• Subjectively incredibly uncomfortable. It has weird ergonomics and very little adjustment possible. Some find it fine but I'd had to spend time and money to get make something I can wear for more than short spells without pain.
  • Text in Elite is blurry because of the anti-SDE layer, my eyes are constantly straining to focus This was a fit issue
  • Worse godrays in Elite complared to Lenovo - (I wish there was a lense mod similar to GearVR mod for Vive)
  • Not available in UK/Europe (I imported from US and therefore no warranty)
  • config file change to enable reprojection

Conclusion - If you fit it this headset is excellent, including for Elite if you don't mind the godrays. If you don't fit it be prepared to mod to get the best out of it.

However, if money was no issue I'd be going down the GearVR modded Vive Pro route, but it is so I'm not ;)

I also have comfort issues with the Pimax 5k plus. I have a low IPD (about 59) and it kills my nose! I've tried various fixes
Have you tried a counterweight? I have one and it really reduces the pressure on my nose and cheeks.

As for the OT: I have a Pimax 8K and it's a good headset for ED. It's a little finicky, but the experience is worth it. As for "Best HMD"? It's either too expensive (Xtal) or not available yet (8KX).

I'll be very curious to see people's thoughts/reviews for the HP Reverb - I watched a review today on Youtube that has me pretty excited for it. Definitely not the best all-around VR headset, but considering 98.9% of my VR time is spent in Elite....

I'm tempted to grab a Reverb for Elite and keep my CV1 for anything that needs controllers.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=222&v=GeqJjICyzeo

No doubt the Reverb looks amazing but performance in Elite at anywhere near native resolution is going to be pretty poor based on the metrics we have.

No doubt the Reverb looks amazing but performance in Elite at anywhere near native resolution is going to be pretty poor based on the metrics we have.
Yeah - they get into that a bit in the video (7:20ish if you'd like to watch). They were playing on regular old GTX1080s (not a Ti) with the Steam Rendering cranked up to 175% to hit the native resolution for the Reverb (apparently 100% is the setting for the Vibe, so they turned it up to hit the 2160x2160 resolution). One guy said it was playable at that resolution but reprojection/ASW was definitely kicking in; the other guy apparently lowered the rendering about 15% (to I believe what would be ~1850?) to achieve solid framerates. I would think that even at that lowered rendering rate it's going to look better than current gen headsets, but we'll have to wait for a "real" ED player to get their hands on one to know for sure.

Top Bottom