Horizons Best ship for exploring?

Are there actually systems that will not spawn NPCs? That is the only thing I'd consider safe.

no, but those systems are at the edge of the bubble and have ports close to entry point.

if you want to be really safe, you should get allied with jaques. that is the only system with only one minor faction in; if you are allied with jaques faction, pirates of jaques faction won#t interdict you ;-)

Actually HSL is nice to have now, can drop one in SC (don't know when they added it but has helped me when the kids are going off during a fuel scoop (or other attention grabber)
I would recommend having them on exploration ships especially if going to high g planets as well - as the harder your thursters work the more heat problems you'll have

Much thanks for the heads up Commander. If that's the case, I stand corrected, and will install one next time back! And to be honest, they may have been all the time and I didn't have them set correctly, I was kinda a new then.

LLaP
S1E

If you have access to it, the Cobra Mk IV might also be worth considering. 8 module slots gives you that bit more flexibility but it's range isn't quite as good.

How much risk are you willing to take? I would not want to bring my exploration haul back to inhabited space in a ship that is more vulnerable than necessary to being interdicted and destroyed by an NPC as I'm supercruising towards that first station. That's why I'm sticking with the Cobra 3 until I can afford a really good Asp. If I felt the need to do planetary landings I'd work the Cobra 3 with ADS+DSS until I get the necessary credits for the Asp.

That's a good point. I was terrified when I returned to civilized space with my exploration haul.

if you want to be really safe, you should get allied with jaques. that is the only system with only one minor faction in; if you are allied with jaques faction, pirates of jaques faction won#t interdict you ;-)

Well, that's an interesting suggestion...

Long ago I found one "safe" system on the edge that has decent starport services, where I've never been interdicted for some reason I don't understand. I'm not going to give its name away, though. ;)

A word of caution: I actually had two "safe" systems in that area, but I dropped into the second system one day to find it unexpectedly in a state of "civil war". Always check whether things might have changed since you last visited the system before returning.

I used to think a Ford Transit Van , White with rust and a Mattress in the back was great for exploring certain planets in my youth , But an Asp is worth saving your credits for Mate.

if you want to have afmu, cargo and srv, your only option in price range is t6, if you ditch the afmu (up to 50k ly you should be able to go without, if you fly carefully), cobra is a possibility.

if you ask me, take a t6, heavily underrated as an explorer - we discussed its pros heavily in this dbe thread https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213885&p=3377664&viewfull=1#post3377664

I've gone 230+k LY without needing an AFMU. I returned with 87% hull. ll you need is to pay attention:

-Always throttle back on the countdown
-NEVER leave your ship when in supercruise - if you do, make sure you know how long it takes to travel the distance your ship is going to be travelling without you there, and set a timer for 3 minutes before.
-Always pay attention when dropping into a system - you'll see, for a brief instant, the layout of the main stars (if Binary or trinary, in particular), and will know which way to point your ship if it's a contact pair. I took zero heat damage on my trip.

We are all human, and we all screw up at times, but if you make the above points a habit, you'll minimise damage to levels that won't need any worry.

I learned my lessons in the first 40 odd K lightyears of my trip (the first 10 being where I took the bulk of my damage), with 0 damage for the last 190k Ly, so, so long as you learn your lessons at the start, you'll generally be fine.

Not to say that an AFMU is not a good idea, however... Heatsinks, too, since they can now be deployed in SC.

Z...

Don't forget to get 15% discount on ship and outfit. At Diaguandri or Lembava for example.
Very nice advise since I'm just a few jumps away from Lembava. :)

Well, I ended up buying and testing the T6. Think I will give it a go.
About safety and risk of taking damage in deep space, I don't worry so much. I've been to Veil Nebula East and back with my Vulture without any damage taken, so I don't think I need the amfu (to be honest, I haven't heard of amfu before this post :eek:). Though I do realize that the T6 is way more vulnerable than the Vulture, I think I'll take the chance.

Again, thank you all so much for input. I appreciate it very much. :)

Top Bottom