Best ship for fighting

I'll add my vote for the Chieftain. I love that ship. Three small rails and everything else multicannon. It can take out small ships in a couple of shots if I get them at close range (all my weapons are overcharged or short range).

I'm currently testing out the Challenger in a similar build (though must remember to add a fighter hanger). I have a battle Cutter too, but I prefer fighting (and am generally more successful) in the Chieftain. The Cutter is good at just sitting there and soaking up damage, though - prismatics and 7 boosters creates pretty impressive defence.
I thought the Crusader was the only one of the 3 that could equip a fighter hangar.

Please....do not get a viper mk4. Biggest mistake i made in this game is buying one. Mk3 until you can get an a-graded FDL. Then stop ;)
FDL does seem to be the pvp ship of choice, some people also rate the Mamba.
I'm not a pvp player (by choice 😉), but I have it on good authority that these two pack the best features.
I think the chieftain and challenger might be pretty good also.

Most effective in pve combat is either the Krait mk2 or the challenger, which also coincidentally and conveniently give the the choice of big barge feeling (Krait) or mini cooper feeling (challenger) both of these ships are more effective than the big ones at clearing combat zones, arguably the highest level pve content. The challenger must be used as a hybrid and is an incredible bullet sponge. The Krait can be effective as either a hybrid or a shield tank, but until you unlock prismatics, stick to hybrid.

Yes and what ship would be a big heavy hitting hitting tank?
As Aashenfox has mentioned, you're looking at something like an Alliance Challenger there (there's someone for good ship and build advice BTW). Lots of hardpoints, plenty of armour. It wouldn't really classify as big, but the really big ships are best avoided in the early stages. What you gain in size and hitting power, you lose with manouverability, with small ships able to hurt you while hiding in your blind spots. You'll notice that no one has suggested anything other than a small or medium ship.

Which would you choose for your next combat ship upgrade if your only two choices were the Vulture or the Dropship?

I have zero experience with these, never bought or flown either but kind of always wanted to.
The dropship is a better multirole than the vulture.

The Mark IV Viper is one of the best small ships in the game. Unlike the Cobra Mk IV which tosses everything that made the Cobra special out in order to make it a mini Type-6. The Mk IV Viper takes the Mk III and expands it into a multi-role ship second only to the Cobra Mk III.

I used mine as my primary bounty hunting ship until I replaced her with an Alliance Chieftain. Swapping the chaff and shield booster for a pair of point defense turrets I still use her for harvesting guardian stuff.

I think most of the recent posters have missed the point that OP is upgrading from their Cobra MKIII, all this talk of FDL's, Chieftains and Kraits etc... budget!!

DDastardly00

D
The Mark IV Viper is one of the best small ships in the game. Unlike the Cobra Mk IV which tosses everything that made the Cobra special out in order to make it a mini Type-6. The Mk IV Viper takes the Mk III and expands it into a multi-role ship second only to the Cobra Mk III.

I used mine as my primary bounty hunting ship until I replaced her with an Alliance Chieftain. Swapping the chaff and shield booster for a pair of point defense turrets I still use her for harvesting guardian stuff.

I recently shook the cobwebs off mine, reengineered completely, it was well worth it, its a potent small multirole ship with many outfitting possibilities .

I currently have a cobra mark 3 but I don't carry cargo or passengers I tend to do the mission loans that don't need cargo and get involved in a lot of dog fights with pirates so I'm looking for something faster at the expense of the cargo bay what ship should I get that speedy can still Carrie decent sized weapons
PS if I trade up do I get credit for all the weapons I've already paid for or should I sell them first
Corvette; FDL; Krait MkII; Vulture (descending order by price)

Go through some various ships on you way to the Alliance Chieftain (and clones) and the Krait MkII and pretty much stop there.

For some reason I don't gravitate to the FDL and Toaster ... I mean Mamba.

I like almost all the other ships occasionally for different things but those are my favorite fighting ships.

Top Bottom