Newcomer / Intro Best Smallest Ship for Mining?

I am relatively new to Elite Dangerous, not counting my days on the BBC Micro in the 1980s, although I've been playing for about a year I don't play often. Slowly been making some decent credits through transport missions mostly. I decided to give mining a try and it was a disaster. I'd watched couple of YouTube videos and they mostly recommend having something like the Anaconda for mining. Well turning tricks at stations and running transport missions certainly doesn't earn you enough for one of those so I checked my balance and went for a Type 6. I can hear the howls of laughter already.

The trouble is now I've started to kit it out I'm seeing my cargo capacity drop faster than your pension stocks on Black Monday. I managed to find a deposit of Grandidierite, which I thought might earn me a few credits. Two hours later I had a managed to mine nothing of the sort. Using a mining laser was obviously the wrong tool so back to YouTube.

Replace one mining laser with a Sub-Surface Displacement Missile launcher but then I need to get the Mining Limpets and that means losing either more cargo capacity, down from 32 to 16 tonnes or I lose my docking computer or SuperCruise Assist or Planetary Approach. I could probably get by without SA and do the odd loop of shame because I was watching the dog or looking at my phone.

So my question is is the Type 6 a reasonable getting started ship for mining or should I bin it off and go back to turning tricks and doing transport missions?

---------------------
Commander Torus
---------------------

Last edited:
The T-6 is reasonable for mining, but limited due to ist small hardpoints and power distributor. But as long as you only want to do laser mining (core mining is a bit problematic right now), she's ok.

Depending on what exactly you want to do, you might want to look at the Keelback (swaps some cargo space for a couple of medium hardpoints) or my favourite, the Diamondback Explorer (DBX). Only half the cargo space of a T-6, but larger hardpoints and a bigger distributor. And enough jump range on a full tank thatyou can usually leave the fuel scoop at home.
Or tell us what you want to mine and how much money you can spend on your ship (and which Engineers you have unlocked), and we'll try to come up with something.

And no, I don't think an Anaconda is ideal (or even suitable) for mining. If you want to mindlessly plow through an asteroid field with mining lasers, use a Cutter. If you can't get one, a T-10.

AspX can do the job too.

Yeah, lose the SA and get that slot back.

Loop of shame can be avoided easily by setting a key to 75% throttle, hit this when nearing 7 seconds and it will manage the speed perfectly until you drop.

Unless you want to mine for hours at a time in a single session, you don't want a conda or other large ship.

Python and Krait are both great miners where you can have an hour mining, go sell it, then have a break.

You make such obscene game breaking amounts of cash mining, start in anything. One load will probably give enough profits to buy something bigger.

I would recommend against mining in a T6 as it only has small hardpoints and mining with small lasers is so boring that your brain will melt.

I have not used a Keelback but it should be OK but remember there is no small seismic charge launcher.

Krait(s) are OK too (II better than the Phantom 'cos you can fit all the toys).

Python is by far my favourite ship to mine in, all the toys, lots of slots, much income.

(BTW I did a mining trip in a Krait II the other day and hated it - those flashing red lights really annoy.)

I'll 2nd, 3rd (etc) that. I love my Python for mining. I have it set up to do either (both) surface (laser) and core mining, along with an SRV bay for surface prospecting, and with enough defensive weapons that it's no pushover. I don't like losing my stuff. The Python isn't a cheap ship (figure between 2x & 3x the hull cost once oufitted), but it's worth it!

The Python is be no means a small ship so other suggestions here for truly small ships probably apply. But when you want to haul more and be more capable...

Python landed.jpg

Wonderfully tweak-able, tough, capable, wonderful.

I had a Type 6 for a while but I can verify that it's just boring. It's the only ship that I sold and no longer own. My opinion, of course. There are many fine uses for that, uh, ship.

Last edited:
Python is going to be the ”best” miner in many respects, but costs a fair amount to kit out. I consider AspX the best stepping stone to the Python. It has enough hardpoints and internals and will carry a decent amount of cargo.
Agree on all points. And, as a bonus, once you've earned the money to get the "perfect" Python with your Asp, you have a spare ship that is one of the best explorer ships (personally speaking, THE best) in the 'Verse.

A quick caveat about the PWA -- it is undoubtedly a problem for some, but not all. I recently started hard rock mining (metal rich ring) instead of icy ring 'roids, and the first time out pulled down 434T of paydirt in about 3.5 hours.* Many more cores than I have recently found in any icy rings, about 15 total, plus SD and SSD rocks aplenty. All these types pf mining require a PWA to do efficiently (if at all!) and mine functions as it always has, not perfectly but not bugged, either. PWAs are relatively cheap and use a Utility slot so no cargo tonnage lost to try one out and see if it works OK for you. Small ships will struggle to kit out a full range of mining tools, but both core and SSD mining can increase your take substantially to help finance a Python, which is a very good intermediate mining ship as others have noted. It's particularity nice 'cause it can land at outposts on medium pads and those frequently have the best prices for your hard-earned goods. Don't bother with an Abrasion Blaster until you have plenty of hardpoints, the scabs don't produce enough compared to the other three methods.

*This is with my Corvette kitted as a miner, all hardpoints to mining tools and many high-rated modules downgraded to make more cargo space, but it's meant for long-term high volume sessions out in the black where no pirates will pester me and I can store my money minerals on my FC. End-game mining, I guess one might say.

I made a video about mining in small ships that should show everything you need to know. It was done pre-nerf so prices will be a bit lower, but everything else is still valid. Part A below starts with a Sidewinder and part B is specifically for using a T6. After a T6, I'd use a T7 or a Python.

As a biginner, you can make 60 mil/hr using a T6 for passenger missions if you know how. Look out for my video about that coming very soon.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkzgPT1P3vw&t=578s

Does lowering the landing gear help with that?

Yes it is the way to stop the lights flashing.

In the Python I don't need to worry about the flashing lights, they are not directed full-square at my eyes as they are in the Krait. Suffice it to say that out of habit I just forgot about dropping the gear - which is a bit embarassing as I kept giving that tip to people in the past. :oops:

I don't like the Krait cockpit at all really so I am not sure why I bothered to play with one for mining the other day.

Top Bottom