Engineers Best star system for finding rare materials

I haven't seen any full listings of a single system where one can find as many as possible of the rare elements, so I took it upon myself to make such a list. The system I found which is a good candidate is one that is not far from Sol - 60 LY or so - Timbalderis. Timbalderis is a system with two stars and gas giants, the stars being pretty close together and making for very little in the way of travel time.

What follows is a list of which system body has the highest amount of a rare element, and the percentage of the element. Hopefully this will make it easier to find most of the elements instead of chasing from system to system.

Antimony:
Timbalderis AB 1 B, 1.2%, also on Timbalderis AB 3 I.

Arsenic:
Timbalderis AB 1 D a, 2.7%

Cadmium:
Timbalderis AB 1 B, 1.6%, also on Timbalderis AB 1 F

Mercury:
Timbalderis B 1, 1.7%

Molybdenum:
Timbalderis AB 1 B, C, D, F, 1.3%.

Niobium:
Timbalderis B 2, 1.5%

Polonium:
Timbalderis B 1, 1.1%

Ruthenium:
Timbalderis AB 3 H, 1.2%

Technetium:
Timbalderis AB 1 D A, 0.6% (only found there in the system)

Tellurium:
Timbalderis AB 1 C, 1.5%, also on AB 1 D.

Tin:
Timbalderis B 1, 2.5%

Tungsten:
Timbalderis AB 1 C, 1.1%, also on Timbalderis AB 3 I.

Yttrium:
Timbalderis B 2, 1.4%

Zirconium:
Timbalderis B 2, 2.6%

Last edited:
Similar list for Jacques - Colonia Nebula area (all planets within 20Ly of Jacques) :

1: Very Common Elements

Carbon : ? %
Iron : ? %
Nickel : ? %
Sulphur : ? %
Phosphorus: ? %

2: Common Elements

Chromium : ? %
Germanium : ? %
Manganese : ? %
Vanadium : ? %
Zinc : ? %

3: Elements

Arsenic : 2.6 % - Eol Prou IW-W E1-1630 4 A (also has Polonium 0.5%) / Eol Prou IW-W E1-1630 4 B (also has Tellurium 1.5%, Selenium 3.0%)
Niobium : 2.5 % - Eol Prou IW-W E1-1201 3 B (also has Yttrium 2.2%, Tungsten 2.0%, Zirconium 4.2%)
Selenium : 3.0 % - Eol Prou IW-W E1-1630 4 B (also has Arsenic 2.6%, Tellurium 1.5%)
Tungsten: 2.0 % - Eol Prou IW-W E1-1201 3 A (also has Yttrium 2.2%, Cadmium 2.8%) / Eol Prou IW-W E1-1201 3 B (also has Yttrium 2.2%, Zirconium 4.2%, Niobium 2.5%)
Zirconium: 4.3% - Eol Prou IW-W E1-1201 4 (also has Tin 2.4%, Ruthenium 2.3%, Mercury 1.6%)

4: Rare Elements

Cadmium : 2.8 % - Eol Prou IW-W E1-1201 3 A (also has Yttrium 2.2%, Tungsten 2.0%)
Mercury : 1.6 % - Eol Prou IW-W E1-1201 4 (also has Tin 2.4%, Ruthenium 2.3%, Zirconium 4.3%)
Molybdenum : 2.3 % - Eol Prou IW-W E1-1498 2 A (also has Arsenic 1.6%, Yttrium 2.1%, Tin 2.3%) / Eol Prou IW-W E1-1498 3 (also has Tin 2.4%)
Tin: 2.4 % - Eol Prou IW-W E1-1498 3 (also has Molybdenum 2.3%, Arsenic 1.7%) / Eol Prou IW-W E1-1201 4 (also has Ruthenium 2.3%, Zirconium 4.3%, Mercury 1.6%)
Yttrium: 2.2 % - Eol Prou IW-W E1-1201 3 A (also has Tungsten 2.0%, Cadmium 2.8%) / Eol Prou IW-W E1-1201 3 B (also Tungsten 2.0%, Zirconium 4.2%, Niobium 2.5%)

5: Very Rare Elements

Antimony : 1.3 % - Eol Prou IW-W E1-1630 9 H A
Polonium : 0.7 % - Eol Prou LW-L C8-188 A 3
Ruthenium: 2.3 % - Eol Prou IW-W E1-1201 4 (also has Tin 2.4%, Zirconium 4.3%, Mercury 1.6%)
Technetium: 0.8 % - Eol Prou IW-W E1-1262 1
Tellurium: 1.5 % - Eol Prou IW-W E1-1630 4 B (also has Arsenic 2.6%, Selenium 3.0%)

Last edited:
Any tips for finding those juicy metallic meteorites?

What seems to give consistent results is to travel in the vicinity of crater-edges, and look for the double-line signal of metallic meteorites. I find such meteorites roughly once every 10-15 minutes. While not the fastest compared to barnacle-harvesting, I do get the necessary rare elements this way if I stay at it long enough. Sometimes you find groupings of 3 metallic meteorites within a few hundred meters of each other.

The signal looks like this (borrowed from https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...(collating-data-on-prospecting-in-Horizons)):

attachment.php

Last edited:
first we need to find materials to upgrade our FSDs to reach the Beagle Point to find materials to upgrade our FSDs...

I havent tried surface mining so when I get to that point do I just pick any spot to land or are there certain spots where the minerals can be found?

I havent tried surface mining so when I get to that point do I just pick any spot to land or are there certain spots where the minerals can be found?

I tend to pick any spot then drive in a slow circle and see what my scope picks up, I have read some place on the forums that if you try near mountainous terrain ( from the air it looks like pimples until you get closer) that they spawn more meteorites, not tried this out myself yet, but as i am currently surface prospecting will give it a go.

Honestly I would recommend hilly terrain at most NOT mountainous. In mountainous it can be a real pain to drive to a resource site you've seen with the wave scanner.
Metal Rich worlds are best because they offer fairly flat terrain for the most part which means you can drive pretty fast and just keep searching for the two lines or low 1 line as those provide the best rares.

i can add some slightly better sources in the bubble:

Antimony -1.40% - Xi Ursae Majoris B2

Ruthenium - 2.60% (!!!) - Zaparo A 2

Yttrium - Rare 2.50% (!) - HIP 20485 A 1

... some are my findings, some are from a private spreadsheet of CMDR Mirrowel.

i can add some slightly better sources in the bubble:
Ruthenium - 2.60% (!!!) - Zaparo A 2

Thank you. The first time I found an engineer matrial I need and seek within a few hours. Usually I spend days first just with the info in game than following hints on Internet/Forum and lastly after 1 or 2 month I give up the search successless.

Nice planet byway..full speed jumping from hill to hill. I was more flying than driveing. (Get less driving sick in oculus that way and this one was perfect for that action)

Nice, what is the gravity on these planets like? I find that planets with approx 1.0 gravity are best so your SRV isn't bouncing all over the show. Quickens the whole process.

Nice, what is the gravity on these planets like? I find that planets with approx 1.0 gravity are best so your SRV isn't bouncing all over the show. Quickens the whole process.

The gravity is shown on the screenshot, it's fine. I find that if I pick a good landing spot I can speed around quite nicely :)

Ah, the old ways, inefficient I find though.
Far better to locate volcanic planets,use fumeroles to gather materials on that planet without the RNG.
Although you'll need fumeroles sites.
They're not just pretty photo opportunities, targeting the sites with materials you need, you can stock up on dozens of each mat you need all at one site

Top Bottom