Patch Notes Update Beta 2.2 - Update 7

That looks bloody awful. I do not like it at all. :mad:

If it stays like that my exploration days will be over, suface scanning every planet is just a serious grind fest. How on earth would you find any earth like worlds?
The is no way in this world I am scanning every single body just to know what it looks like.
The way we always used to?? Squint at the icon and listen well to the audio that is played while actively selected.

metal planets have kind of a cold metal noise, like someone dragging a heavy piece of metal across another piece of metal but then muffled.

water worlds have a water rushing sound

earth likes have a water rushing sound and the occasional bird chirp

EDIT: Forgive me, I couldn't see the image before as imgur is blocked where I am.

Are the sounds still available though?

Honestly, I'd rather they made the ADS as designed, without infinite range.

Last edited:
Forgive me if I've misunderstood but ... we have scanners (which are better than telescopes), and what they've done is changed it so you can't see the planet until you've used your scanner?

Seems fine to me, or have I missed something?

Problem is you have to use your surface scanner to see them, that is going to put hours and hours on exploration.

I dont mind ping the system and see the planets, but not see the surface when you zoom in.
But suface scanning just to see what it looks like in space is just .

Re unexplored systems, after you use the discovery scanner but not the surface scanner, I think the system map should still show the miniature planet images and play the planet audio as before, but you shouldn't be able to zoom in to the surface map until you've done a surface scan.

This is truly terrible FDEV.

It has officially ruined my immersion because you have removed the telescopes from the basic scanner.

Awful, awful thing.

http://i.imgur.com/YKODqKI.png

Disagree. If the same information is available (being able to tell it's a high metal content world, for example) and it's JUST the map that's hidden, then I have zero problem with this. We still have audio clues, for example.

Pre-horizons we could tell what the planets were just by looking at them (since they used a specific range or placeholder images). That changed somewhat in Horizons because it used the actual image, so you could no longer instantly tell if it was a high-metal content or rocky world.

This should be like this since Day 1...

Agreed. 100%

I think we should at least allows some deep space explorers and expeditions try this mechanic out and have their say after long term use.

Last edited:
That looks bloody awful. I do not like it at all. :mad:

When I read the patch notes I thought "they will just use a default surface texture" but I wasn't expecting placeholder graphics - the planets are not even true spheres. I hope that's a bug. I know that's not the main issue but I'm not an explorer so I have no vested interest in the process.

Great news with the system map! But currently I'm landed at a settlement on a planet which I haven't scanned, so I can't see the terrain in the system map. It seems a little odd. How about you automatically get the scan information of a planetary body when you dock at a settlement on it?

The system map change is evil and will make exploration a lot more time consuming now that you can't just faceroll over the earthlikes anymore :D

This is truly terrible FDEV.

It has officially ruined my immersion because you have removed the telescopes from the basic scanner.

Awful, awful thing.

http://i.imgur.com/YKODqKI.png

You do realise the Advanced Scanner is *not* a telescope.

Handwavium - it's a FTL pulse that is sent out from the ship that picks up gravitational wells, sort of like a space SONAR.

Part of me kind of likes this update, it's more realistic in that you have to scan a body to map it (especially as we can view maps in detail now). However for honk/scoop/jump - but picking up a Earth-like or Waterworld on the way - yeaaaa that's annoying :D

Quick question: How many systems have you visited, and what is your maximum distance travelled from Sol?

CMDR grnbrg.

What does that have to do with anything? That's akin to saying that if I don't have a drivers license, I shouldn't be allowed to have a say about speed limits.

And for the record, I've covered 578,690 light years in 21,161 jumps with a max distance from start of 68,973.

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Forgive me if I've misunderstood but ... we have scanners (which are better than telescopes), and what they've done is changed it so you can't see the planet until you've used your scanner?

Seems fine to me, or have I missed something?

While this was the original design for the scanners (fixing a separate issue has had a knock-on effect) the behaviour for the this view will return to its previous state. However you will need to have completed a surface scan to see the surface in the surface map, with no surface scan it will default to the sphere grid.

Michael

While this was the original design for the scanners (fixing a separate issue has had a knock-on effect) the behaviour for the this view will return to its previous state. However you will need to have completed a surface scan to see the surface in the surface map, with no surface scan it will default to the sphere grid.

Michael

That sounds excellent (other opinions are available) ... thanks Michael!

P.S. I'm assuming just a basic surface scan will do (i.e. that we won't need a detailed surface scanner in order to get a surface map)

Michael

So just for clarification...the System map is currently not showing as intended, and will be corrected to look as it did previously?

Top Bottom