Patch Notes Update Beta 2.2 - Update 7

Is this

- Fix planet scan logic to ensure that planet terrain is only visible if the planet has had a basic scan performed on it

this: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-system-map-after-it-has-been-surface-scanned ?

If so: awesome! [up]

Edit: already answered:

While this was the original design for the scanners (fixing a separate issue has had a knock-on effect) the behaviour for the this view will return to its previous state. However you will need to have completed a surface scan to see the surface in the surface map, with no surface scan it will default to the sphere grid.

Michael

So, indeed: AWESOME! :D

Last edited:
Yes - although you will need to do a surface scan to view the planetary map in its full glory.

Michael

Was this the intended behaviour all along or is this in response to player feedback like this: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-system-map-after-it-has-been-surface-scanned

?

Edit: also already answered:

While this was the original design for the scanners (fixing a separate issue has had a knock-on effect) the behaviour for the this view will return to its previous state. However you will need to have completed a surface scan to see the surface in the surface map, with no surface scan it will default to the sphere grid.

Michael

I should start reading all dev posts before asking questions :D

Last edited:

Michael

Is this surface scans from 2.2 onwards or will previous scans release the image?

Michael

I'm fine with this. Granted I WISH the planets would be blotted out till scanned (oh to dream - hand reaches out wistfully towards a dev design that was...) I can live with seeing the planets (like people are used to) but needing a basic scan to get a detailed map.

Michael

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean then that the only way to spot an Earth Like World from a distance will be to listen to it's sounds? Whilst some of the explorers might like that, I need to point out this means those who are deaf or hard of hearing can no longer explore, as they have no way to guide them towards such a world.

The SRV wave scanner can be used quite easily just visually (the waves are visually distinct too) but even with Advanced Discovery Scanner you'll just get a lot of blank dots; you should consider a similar design for explorers too to allow that part of the game to be accessible to all. I sketched out my own basic ideas for enhanced exploration here. I'm not in Beta so I can't tell if the Journal includes some of them (but easily could!) however, but either allowing the scanner to indicate by text there's an object of interest in the system, or better yet an SRV like wave that displays a radar return when you line up the nose of the craft on a planet which you could visually learn to read would be preferable to the system as I'm currently understanding it.

Michael

This, people, is why I have fallen in love with this game. FDev is so responsive...one hour after the release and people are talking of issues and there is an answer...THIS is how you properly develop a game. THIS is why I have no issues with where this game is going, I know they will listen and as long as it's not a flame out then response will be given. Thank you MB, thank you to all of FDEV for making an incredible game and setting an incredible precedence in the world of game development. You ain't no EA Games, and for that we thank you! ;-)

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean then that the only way to spot an Earth Like World from a distance will be to listen to it's sounds? Whilst some of the explorers might like that, I need to point out this means those who are deaf or hard of hearing can no longer explore, as they have no way to guide them towards such a world.

The SRV wave scanner can be used quite easily just visually (the waves are visually distinct too) but even with Advanced Discovery Scanner you'll just get a lot of blank dots; you should consider a similar design for explorers too to allow that part of the game to be accessible to all. I sketched out my own basic ideas for enhanced exploration here. I'm not in Beta so I can't tell if the Journal includes some of them (but easily could!) however, but either allowing the scanner to indicate by text there's an object of interest in the system, or better yet an SRV like wave that displays a radar return when you line up the nose of the craft on a planet which you could visually learn to read would be preferable to the system as I'm currently understanding it.

No - you can use the same methods you did in 2.1.

Michael

You are forgiven then... for now, right up until the first Thargoid finds me with an old explorer build without shields or weapons, you muddy funsters ;)

Michael

That's good to hear, thanks Michael.

Yes - although you will need to do a surface scan to view the planetary map in its full glory.

Michael

It would be great if surface scans also populated the map with POIs, thus removing the need to use the blue circle mechanic. We could still have the wave scanner for the outcrops and such.
You know, adding a bit deterministic behavior to the gameplay. Also, we'd be encouraged to carry those scanners with us to really discover what's on a planet.

Michael
Thank you so much! [up]

Thanks Zac and everyone included.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Michael

Well done folks, great design decision / discussion...

- Fixed NPC Crew profit share not increasing when ranking up

This seems strange.

You've removed the motivation to start with a low rank fighter pilot, rank, and then keep them alive?

Now it's basically best to just start with max rank and replace as needed.

Last edited:

Michael Brookes

Game Director
This seems strange.

You've removed the motivation to start with a low rank fighter pilot, rank, and then keep them alive (and be attached to the idea of keeping them)?

Now it's basically best to just start with max rank and replace as needed.

It's still cheaper to develop a low ranked pilot than to hire the higher ranked ones.

Michael

Top Bottom