Better ordering of landing bay numbers in stations

After several years of docking, I've basically memorised the landing pads, and I know if I can come in hot, because I'm at the back, or i need to slow down before the slot, because I'm at the front.

After several years of docking I still haven't a clue, but the compass tells me where to head as I fly into the mailslot far too fast for my own good :) So change it if you like, I won't notice ;)

After several years of docking I still haven't a clue, but the compass tells me where to head as I fly into the mailslot far too fast for my own good :) So change it if you like, I won't notice ;)

To be honest, I only memorised the large pads. Lol
When I blast in using a medium ship, I'm usually quite lost without using the compass.
Small ships I'm hopeless, I almost never fly them. :D

You know how when you're in supercruise and targeting your destination station, the 3D model of it on your HUD lets you know its orientation relative to your position?

Well, what if making a docking request highlights the location of your assigned landing pad on the 3D model of the station?

Alternatively, the 3D model could be replaced with a map similar to what Misty_Dark or Para Handy posted above, with your pad highlighted clearly.

That way you know exactly where to go as soon as your docking request is approved, without having to wait until you're through the slot to follow a compass, and without having to memorise locations, and no changes need to be made to the stations.
The other advantage is that you will have a better idea of what speed you should be coming in at, relative to the distance of the pad from the mail slot.

or i need to slow down before the slot, because I'm at the front.

Although, I usually just "boop" something to stop quicker. Lol

Doesn't really need changing IMHO.

I suppose that's one way to do it, personally if it's at the front of the station I just come in as normal, do a flip as I fly down the length of the station, come back and point nose down at the pad, do a pirouette, flatten out and bang on the button every time. How can it get easier than that?

They're fine by me as well.

I suppose that's one way to do it, personally if it's at the front of the station I just come in as normal, do a flip as I fly down the length of the station, come back and point nose down at the pad, do a pirouette, flatten out and bang on the button every time. How can it get easier than that?

They're fine by me as well.

I do that to!

I like the idea of rearranging the pads, but I'd make all large pads be along the bottom 5 lanes. That way you dont have to completely roll your large ship. Yes, I know you can just fly in upside down, but I prefer rolling. Wait...I like the rolling those ships. Carry on.

Agree with OP.
Yeah I can land, but placing large pads right inside the airlock is crazy, especially when lifting off the pad. With the drift that comes with large ships, you're completely blind to traffic behind you as the radar is unusable until you're pretty much in the traffic lane.

Last edited:
Agree with OP.
Yeah I can land, but placing large pads right inside the airlock is crazy, especially when lifting off the pad. With the drift that comes with large ships, you're completely blind to traffic behind you as the radar is unusable until you're pretty much in the traffic lane.

That one is easily solved with another oft repeated request: Remove the docking overlay when launching.

Ooooh, delicious necro.

I blame that goggly thing for all these resurrections lately.

necro 3 cheers.gif

Last edited:
...But it's probably too late to change it now without causing everyone who already knows the game mass confusion about where they're going.
Nothing can beat simple logic. Implement some logical system, and you don't have to remember anything or much at all. The whining fades quickly...
Problem is that too many people think they invested a lot in a silly system and and that they would loose from a change. Even they could win, albeit others maybe more.
(Didn't see the date, but worth some necro, IMO ; )

Maybe it's just me, but after landing at a few thousand stations the past 6,000 plus hours of game time. Even at my age I've seem to have memorize them. But then I only fly two different size ships, a Python and a Corvette, Conda, Cutter.

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
No matter what system, when boosting through the slot at 700+ you always get the pad in the front.

Top Bottom