News Beyond 3.0 Beta 2 - Changes to Engineers

Definitely nice improvements.

Whilst this will definitely give me better rolls than I currently have, the thing I still miss though is the individuality engineering used to give you. I'd still love a way to get a small random increase on top of what a maxed out G5 with an experimental effect. Otherwise, as people say, maxing becomes the new normal - then you're done. Currently I quite like, when I've some spare time, to occasionally try to see if I can get a better roll on top of my already quite good stats.

I think there's still a fair difference in what's achievable with power distributors (old = 48.1 across the board, new = 45.3), i'm pretty sure this isn't even the best roll out there. I've heard of 52 across the board. I don't understand how Fdev don't know this, surely it can be worked out from best possible primary + best possible secondary. The capacities are a tad lower but they don't really matter, it's all about the recharge rate.

Old Distributor https://imgur.com/V4ASnke

V4ASnke.png

New Distributor https://imgur.com/56pwa7Y

56pwa7Y.jpg

Last edited:
I think there's still a fair difference in what's achievable with power distributors (old = 48.1 across the board, new = 45.3), i'm pretty sure this isn't even the best roll out there. I've heard of 52 across the board.

Good post. Yes, you can definitely get a single characteristic such as Weps above +50% in Live, which for combat is objectively superior to a Patch 2 Distro with +45.3% across the board, even if ('if') the three aggregated charge rates are lower. Weps is far more of a choke-point than Eng or, least of all, Sys.

That said, this is a very small issue to me compared to the 'incomparable' secondary issues, such as obviously thermal load reductions.

I hope that Frontier will fix all grandfathering issues, both headline values and the complex secondary problems, but following Patch 2 I'm now a lot more concerned about the secondaries.

But why? Why is there always this push to make things more complicated than they have to be?

I'm with you on that cmdr.

---and for those that bow to the Gods of efforting, I'm sure they can find many other things inside the ED cosmos to sweat over ;)

I could tell from the live stream that good tidings were ahead and this season would be known as "optimism rising"...and...it's confirmed....it IS

Last edited:
Can somebody say to Braben to remove the material requirements during the besta testing? It is just a waist of time to look for the materials in beta server...

can we make engineered components not restored when you have a insurance claim?

Seems very odd that we have a mechanic called engineers that make unauthorized modifications to your ship and then these seemingly unauthorized mods get restored by the pilots fed as if they were factory options.

Either that, or can we just get rid of engineers as they have been portrayed in the game so far and just make them representatives of the various ship manufacturers that give you a kind of progression with manufacturers to get their juicy exclusive options.

Something that just makes a tiny bit of sense instead of creating lore that completely conflicts with the desired gameplay and then telling everyone to ignore the conflict.

I feel that the new concept to engineering is off...

I like the QOL parts like better materials management and blueprint pinning, etc, but the result of changes to the core concept to get engineered means actually MORE grind just to engineer each component, grade by grade, meaning the new material storage is actually necessary to partially engineer a ship.

Previously, the result of engineering looks like a prototype component that is unique. With this new system, basically everyone seems to get the simlar end results, it feels like just another way of buying the best out there with a different currency (materials & data instead of credits). It feels like sending your car to a tuning garage and paying for Level X upgrade with gauranteed results, instead of pushing the limits of the component to get unique positive AND negative effects.

The so called GOD rolls previously are just a result of determined grinding to exploit a bad implementation of RNG to get extreme results. A filter or tweak to reduce/balance such extreme results would have moderated the concept such that players recognise that it is fruitless to grind.

With 3.0, non-engineered ships seems to be looking less and less viable...

But I could be wrong...

PS: Yeah, insurance should never pay for engineered components...

Last edited:
Previously, the result of engineering looks like a prototype component that is unique.

I feel the sure the changes are very, very good for weapons but would also second, that when it comes to jump range record attempts would love to see some modules, eg. experimental FSD's, given some access to the old god roll / trash roll system. Good to see the updates but maybe both version of engineers have their merits, in respectively different module categories.

can we make engineered components not restored when you have a insurance claim?

Seems very odd that we have a mechanic called engineers that make unauthorized modifications to your ship and then these seemingly unauthorized mods get restored by the pilots fed as if they were factory options.

Either that, or can we just get rid of engineers as they have been portrayed in the game so far and just make them representatives of the various ship manufacturers that give you a kind of progression with manufacturers to get their juicy exclusive options.

Something that just makes a tiny bit of sense instead of creating lore that completely conflicts with the desired gameplay and then telling everyone to ignore the conflict.

Do you know how long it took me to eng my vette and conda to get the best rolls i could, a long time so no if i die and lose all my eng time i have done and have to start over then the eng are pointless,

- Reinforced:
Damage Reduction: 12%->15% (back to where it is in live), also fix a numerical error that resulted it odd results from crafting lvl 1-4 recipes

Not quite sure I understand this tid bit. I was expecting to see something along the lines of the optimal strength either increased or decreased. Could you please refine as to what detail this is expressing?

My biggest concern with more powerful weapons for everyone is that playing in open becomes even more Dangerous. While this might be the intention, not sure if it will have a good impact on new players that decide to go exploring before engineering.
So I imagine someone going to explore in an AspX which gets 330 MJ shield with 2 shield boosters, exploring for a while, having millions in exploration data, then when returning to the bubble getting obliterated by pretty much anyone since the G5 weapons are the new norm.

I wish to play in open, but I don't have much time on my hands and until I think I have a chance to survive unwanted PvP combat (G5 shield/thrusters/HRP, right?), I might have to stick to a private group.

Top Bottom