News Beyond - Chapter Four - Beta Update (Week 3)

No for two reasons.

1. The ships are not released yet and so I have no way of knowing whether the info provided by Coriolis is accurate, it is quite often different anyway.

2. With that much of an Obscured cockpit the Phantom isn't going to be a good ship for Exploration. (plus its heavier and almost 6 times as expensive as the Asp with a potential worse jump range)

Yes tomorrow.

In the event that the Coriolis numbers are actually correct, the Krait Phantom will exceed comparably outfitted AspX by a few ly jump range. I did a mockup with my current Asp X, and moved the modules over to a Phantom, and the Asp X is 68.72max/64.29 laden, and the Krait Phantom is 72.16max/67.39 laden. That is with boostable thrusters, SRV and shield.

That said, I will probably pass on the Phantom because of the cockpit view. I do not like the pylons blocking the side, and instrument panel support blocking the middle of the downward view.

i start to wonder if week 4's "surprises" contain all the QoL updates we have expected from Beyond,
fixes for the bugs introduced with beyond

and another set of keybinds that we need to stand up from our seats and walk around in the cockpit (because those can't be the same we have for the piloting the ship or driving the srv, obviously)

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
The Krait Phantom will probably rival the AspX in terms of jumprange. I'm regarding that as a dedicated exploration ship.

In the event that the Coriolis numbers are actually correct, the Krait Phantom will exceed comparably outfitted AspX by a few ly jump range. I did a mockup with my current Asp X, and moved the modules over to a Phantom, and the Asp X is 68.72max/64.29 laden, and the Krait Phantom is 72.16max/67.39 laden. That is with boostable thrusters, SRV and shield.

That said, I will probably pass on the Phantom because of the cockpit view. I do not like the pylons blocking the side, and instrument panel support blocking the middle of the downward view.

Aside from the fact that jump range is not the be all and end all of an Exploration ship, I am certainly not denying that it's a good plus point but really anything with a base range of over 50Ly given the Neutron boosts and Synthesis is good for 99% of occasions. There is the issue of cost too, as I said earlier the base ship is almost 8 times as expensive. Did you happen to see how much more the Krait was than the Asp build Straha?

Last edited:
i start to wonder if week 4's "surprises" contain all the QoL updates we have expected from Beyond,
fixes for the bugs introduced with beyond

and another set of keybinds that we need to stand up from our seats and walk around in the cockpit (because those can't be the same we have for the piloting the ship or driving the srv, obviously)

I doubt it, I think the beta and after week 3. (week 4 bullet is the end of the beta.

But.... they did mention there was stuff not in the beta and kept a surprise for the live release..

That can be anything of course, ships, QoL, Goids, Guardians, puzzles we only encounter after a year... a new SRV, hud colours, who knows..

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
no new SRV's. :(

Gutted as well. A new SRV was actually the only "extra" thing that would justify the prioritisation of Fleet Carriers for me personally. It puts quite a bit of meh into the overall WOW as my reaction to this update :(

Aside from the fact that jump range is not the be all and end all of an Exploration ship, I am certainly not denying that it's a good plus point but really anything with a base range of over 50Ly given the Neutron boosts and Synthesis is good for 99% of occasions. There is the issue of cost too, as I said earlier the base ship is almost 6 times as expensive. Did you happen to see how much more the Krait was than the Asp build Straha?

Krait Phantom according to Coriolis is right at 101 million. AspX is a bit over 50 million. Of course there are things that can be done to mitigate such as having a 6c scoop rather than a 6a, downsizing one of the two AFMU's.

Krait Phantom Speculative Build

Current Asp X Build

As to cost, yeah, I guess I saw the cost, but I am not usually very observant when it comes to credits, and forget to consider players who are not in the same situation I am. I have all the ships I want, kitted how I want them, and have 2 8A fuel scoops sitting in storage because I have no use for them and don't really need the credits.

Just to clarify...

Do we know if this update is "just" new stuff or will it incorporate revisions to things presented in previous betas?

I realise that might sound a bit snarky. It isn't meant to be. :eek:
I'm just wondering if there'll be any changes to look out for, as well as playing with new stuff.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Just to clarify...

Do we know if this update is "just" new stuff or will it incorporate revisions to things presented in previous betas?

I'm just wondering if there'll be any changes to look out for, as well as playing with new stuff.

Beta 2 included revisions to Beta 1 content (i.e. DiscoScanner being built-in etc.). Based on that, I hope Beta 3 will include be a revision of Beta 2 stuff (I'm looking at you, mining!).

Have you flown it, to see how it handles in SC? Have you looked out of the cockpit to see what the view is like?

Of course not, but the cockpit view looks to be very close (or exact) to what the Krait MkII is, which has a rather nice view out the front. Not Lakon nice but close. As to how it handles it’s probably very close to the MkII but better seeing how it’s faster and lighter, so I’d expect it to handle very well in SC.

No I don’t know for certain, but given what we DO know these assumptions can be made with a high degree of certainty now. It looks to be an excellent exploration vessel.

Just to clarify...

As the last beta update included bug fixes I would think that this will too. I am hoping for some streamlining, but understand that some of that can take time so if it does come at all I expect to see it in live and not the beta.

Just to clarify...

Good to see you read the OP...

With this week's update, the new content you'll be able to test includes:

So far, excellent release, apart from a few disappointments.

- No new dedicated mining or exploration ship
- Yields for new mining method need to be higher. FD said in Live stream last week they'd up the rewards, but this isn't fixing the root problem - its the lack of ore yield thats the main issue.

So you didn't sneak in a dedicated Exploration or Mining ship then???

Oh shush now - you have your Cobra Mk4 and you know it's the best dedicated 3.3 small miner with its 5 hardpoints and cavernous interior modules. Frontier were just incredibly early with this feature this time around :).

Just to clarify a question regarding "Week 4", that will be a 4th full week of testing with nothing new other than bug fixes correct? Or is it the end date of the beta period, as in only 3 full weeks of testing?

Last edited:
Top Bottom