"Beyond" free for Horizon owners - LEP musings

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 110222

D
I think FDev are just in a really good position. Lots of paintjobs, ship kits and decals sold. Planet Coaster doing really well and now a 3rd game which should do even better due to the potential fanbase and popularity of "ze dinos"

For LEP owners, you took a risk. I really can't see how you'll be regretting it as most of the improvements for E:D are shaping up for more things down the line.

Some risks don't pay off. No refunds are warranted.

Free? Wow! That was unexpected. Perhaps with all the new ships coming, FD feels that they can fund on-going development with paintjobs for the new ships.

The way it was exactly said was: all the features we talked about are free for horizons users, so could potentially still have paid content, just not revealed today, doubt it though, lots of work as it is

I was surprised when they said free to horizon people. pleasantly obviously .. I'm very pleased and have been since I started playing just over a year ago.
Well worth the money I paid back then, and I don't mind paying for paint jobs and suites...

Yeah but you don't know what's to come that you will get. I don't think LEP owners can complain until FD say, that's it, no more ED development.

Pretty much this.

I'm happy that Horizons owners will get more content as part of what they paid for. And we LEPers still get more content anyway. If FD were never to release another paid for expansion, then maybe i'd be a little miffied, but since the amount i've spent on the game vs hours played is pretty much a joke at this point, i can't really complain at all.

I'm trying to remember fully (I had to go out immediately as the Elite segment of the show ended)... Is Frontier officially calling this next year of updates "3.0"? I saw them call it "Beyond", but wasn't sure if this is actually presented as a new "expansion" or not.

They called it 'Elite Dangerous: 2.4 & Beyond", so rather vague.

The LEPs are for paid for game content such as DLC/seasons/expansions or similar beyond Horizons, or as it turns out, beyond Beyond Horizons.

"Beyond" does kind of seem like they're slowly winding down the development though. Hopefully that isn't the case.

I think it would be fair of LEP holders that got it during the Horizons announcement to ask for a refund of the difference if there is no further paid for game content beyond Horizons, since they would essentially have paid three times as much for Horizons for nothing extra. This is a purchase after all, not a donation. I trust Frontier intend to hold up their end of the deal though.

Last edited:
As a horizons LEP, I am currently classified as 'uneasy'. I never expected my investment to reap massive dividends. Based on the widely accepted premise at the time of X season approximately 1 per year, it was a break even proposition, simply saving me the buying decision, but it currently is looking like a nett loss.

IIRC, FD accounts realised about 30 quid per financial year, so from their financial stand point I will be paying about 90 quid just for horizons, with still no indication of any return for my increased contribution.
There may or may not end up being any benefit to me, maybe some indication would have been nice

Nice, spending a fortune in the Frontier ship finaly pays off! That was of course the plan all along, its not because I'm weak, honestly.

I'm very angry. I made my investment in 2014 and wrapped it into a SIPP so I could enjoy some tax free growth. Then Brexit came and the value of my investment dropped by 30%. Now plebs are getting further stuff for free my SIPP is looking practically worthless!

As as 84er I am obviously an aging, balding, erectile dis functioning shell of a man who's only hope in life is that my SIPP pays out as so I can purchase SC jpgs in my final years.

STOP DEVALUING MY INVESTMENT FRONTIER!!!11

Last edited:
As a LEP-owner, I've bought FD store bits and pieces on top of that, and I'll continue to do so, in the hope they'll keep working on the core aspects of the game and balance critical areas like missions. I don't feel short-changed, but good lord it's frustrating dealing with some of the bugs that on occasion linger for months on end, or remain unresolved.

I think it's the right way to go ; the yearly season model just does dwindle the player base. Still I have a bitter taste i my mouth when I think of the 165€ I cashed in for the LEP, when I could have got Horizons and be good until Q4 2018 - at the very least. When I bought LEP in August 2015, the (10y)plan was one extension per year, and even then the added-value of the LEP was a gamble : it would be covered after about three extensions/seasons. Now we know that Horizons lasts for three years... FDev should really seriously consider some perks, or partial refunds by now.

LEP was a gamble they always are. I missed out, if it was available I'd still buy one, I certainly feel I have my money's worth even after buying 3 Horizons accounts an a few cosmetics here and there.

When space legs and atmospheric landings happen down the line, it should be in a new season. I hope LEP owners get it for free when that happens. I also hope my still live when it happens.

I keep posting in wrong thread doh!

I don't mind either way but it is a worry imo. FD are a decent enough bunch but they are not a charity . Therefore I believe they are not charging for it because they know there is not enough too charge for. Those who paid £120 for LTP are going to be waiting a looong time to break even (I dread FD give refunds as that means they know it's dying imo). So from my view I am not bitter it's free just concerned. I was expecting a couple of free core updates then a major paid expansion possibly for start of next tax year . Horizons is officially lasting 3 years now (at least)

"Beyond" does kind of seem like they're slowly winding down the development though. Hopefully that isn't the case.

That's not how I read it. Mine goes ...

Elite : Dangerous .. base game
Horizons .. glimpse of the future
Beyond .. here we go -->

Can't speak for anyone else but I know enough about Frontier that my LEP (bought when it was) wasn't just for me, I got it so the game would be made. I've had a personal bargain so far and can't wait for the next year, the Q1 planetary improvements alone look a treat.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
Let's not forget that we all have to save up for that new pile of up-to-data hardware to run the next generation of software demands on.
I still have a $5000.00 US$ machine that went obsolete 6 months after I got it.
Not powerful enough to run Horizons. (first generation Multi-Core processor).
Really bad timing on that one.

I don't quite understand what "break even" means in terms of a game. Yes I know you are probably referring to the point at which what you paid equals the cost of the base game plus updates, but, darn it, this is just a game. I am an alpha so paid the big bucks right at the beginning - literally years ago now - so how on earth can you do any sort of meaningful calculation? My 2014 pound was worth more than the 2018 pound. But I don't have to pay anything more - ever. How about timeframe? Do you draw a line and say that after THIS point we no longer include any future costs? So when exactly does your comparison or calculation end? And what about value in general terms? I've played the game for thousands of hours and continue to play on a daily basis. For a measly 200 quid - paid 3 years ago. Holy cow! Talk about value!

And I guarantee you (OK, OK, best guess!) that atmo landings are being worked on right now, in secret, and will come as a paid update later that I won't have to pay for. Because there will be content attached - why wouldn't there be? Considering the whole atmosphere, population centres, traffic, etc. there just has to be "atmospheric" stuff (the OTHER "atmospheric" - you know, clouds, and cities, and planes and cars and stuff).

Man - how can anybody complain about bad value - beats the XXXX out of me!

Just thought of one more thing too. Paying early guarantees later access - and I mean in terms of MY ability to pay. I paid when I was able to - I can't guarantee (being an old fart) that in 2 years I will continue to have the financial means to pay more. I certainly anticipate that I will, but, as someone more wise than I once said - "eat dessert first, the future is uncertain.".

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
My expectation is that there is stuff they haven't shown that you will have to pay for and that LEP owners will get it as part of the LEP.

Horizons owners already got more than we expected and we're getting major 2018 updates for free so it's a good deal.

• Like (+1)
I don't quite understand what "break even" means in terms of a game.
Man - how can anybody complain about bad value - beats the XXXX out of me!

2 products on sale at the same time... (from memory) 1 = £30 and 1 = £120

its not rocket science to see a potential problem if all the £120 gets extra is a black ship skin pack. (again to be clear, I am not salty and if FD release an official comment stating not to worry and all the future expansions are still as much on the horizon as they were 3 years ago, I would be fine... like I said I am worried not salty but break even in the sense how I wrote it is not rocket science to get imo.

Horizons owners already got more than we expected and we're getting major 2018 updates for free so it's a good deal.

I don't see what horizons owners have got that wasn't on the published roadmap. It might have taken longer, but no more stuff. Most of the newly announced things are core that we would have got without purchasing horizons, let alone LEP

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom