Beyond Initial Feedback

Congratulations on the release of Beyond.
This release has been impressively seamless in the context of Elite history.
I expected a few patch updates since Beyond went live, and while I'm sure they're in the works, absolutely no disruption. I've been playing pretty much non-stop since release, so congrats FDEV.

Planet textures look great. Well done.

The new Guardian sites. I deliberately popped into Meene to see Ram Tah and blue print some engineering mods, because Beyond appears to have wiped all existing pinned blue prints. Not that I really used them much prior anyway, but remote engineering looked like it might save some time, but alas without special effects etc. it's a bit disappointingly useless. I also docked at Felice dock, and only received the old Ram Tah mission about the ancient ruins, not the new decryption mission/message. (I received the new decryption mission upon my return to Meene, after having been out at the new sites for 2 days - please for the love of god, you need to get this part of the game right, and stop stuffing it up. It's one of the biggest failings of Elite; mission narrative. It shouldn't be a case of telepathy to get involved in what your promo video shows off.)
And if that sounds harsh - In ObsidianAnt's most recent video on the above subject, he experienced the exact same thing. Poorly done FDEV.
Disappointingly I now have to go back and do the guardian sites all again to get Ram Tah's insights on the guardians. One foot, then the next foot FDEV ...it shouldn't be this hard to get it right, and have players easily get involved.

The new Guardian sites are awesome. Well done.
But, the sentinels are getting stuck behind things, and it's very easy too shoot them down from a distance while they are stuck. Needs to be looked at and fixed. Also occasionally their missiles decide to go looking for high grade emission signal sources and end up flying around in circles forever. That's not a joke (as much as it should be), I have video of the missiles just going round in circles endlessly.
That missiles when they hit and knock you over are awesome. Well done.
Dear god please give us a different SRV to drive. Something with some tanky handling. A brick on wheels to go with my Gun-brick please. :)

I was really disappointed after successfully charging all the pylons and using the Guardian data terminal TWICE - to get a single blueprint reward each time when I'd already collected many from the obelisks. For the work involved and amount of sentinels, there should be a much better reward here.

The new engineering.
Well I expected the worst and it's exactly what I got.
I'd often used reputation for special effects with engineers. Which means for most of the weapons engineers I was sitting at grade 3 access despite having been grade 5 countless times. All for the sake of adding special effects to the right engineering rolls.
So this means I couldn't even re-engineer a few legacy mod weapons due to the grade 4 'knock-back'. Dumb.
I then proceed to try and engineer a laser from scratch with my mate Broo and couldn't even get to grade 5 due to the "MATERIAL SINK". I would claim that I had good stocks of grade 3-5 weapons materials, but as it turns out the offal now being important means I literally couldn't engineer anything. Really disappointing.

So new beyond, nice and shiny, but for someone that was addicted to engineering, is now a massive door stop. Not well done. I could see this coming from Sandro's waffle on the live streams. My suspicions are pointless, but I don't think hat man has ever really engineered a ship. Really engineered a ship. We're not talking about 'smart rounds' for god's sake. Engineering has now been converted into material busy work in a very lame fashion. And yes, it's lame because anything to do with materials comes back to the fundamental RNG horrible-ness that FDEV continue to ignore.

The Material Brokers
Horrible interface. Poor returns for trades. Not well done.

The Technology Brokers
This is such a cool concept, so much cool potential - but I don't get how this is personal narrative. What's personal about non-unique items? I don't care personally, but has someone actually done the maths on some of the items?
The Guardian Hybrid Power Plant requires a huge grind (I've just done it and unlocked it), and this this appears to be a piece of c__p. Huge mass, horrible efficiency, and some extra power. Dear FDEV, can I please get something good and useful for all those not-easy-to-get materials. PLEASE BUFF THIS, I've worked towards this since launch, and it's c__p. And there's no good reason a guardian power plant should be c__p.
Also, cannot find a single technology broke via galaxy map 'services' filters. Material traders yes, but not tech brokers. Please fix.
FmA4UDu4QYUW7rqp1

New Mission Board
I don't know what you've done, but it's not responsive and the FPS seem to have dropped on something that is mostly static. Scrolling through missions is now horrible and slow, and feels like the whole thing is about to crash.

Last edited:
The material broker is actually really useful - as long as you're trading down, not up.

Agreed. Had to make use of one for the utterly useless guardian hybrid power plant. My god the guardian plasma charger is epic levels of fun though.
Can Braben buy the guys some calculators already?

I have a question about mission rewards: Does choosing the reputation mission reward increase reputation gain with affiliated superpowers over the over mission rewards? Or do all mission reward choices provide the same increase in superpower rank and reputation?

What I am missing is the "personal narrative"...

I clearly remember this was associated with the Brokers. I think Frontier forgot about that.

Else I am happy with what I have seen so far.

Engineering and Mat-Brokers for my taste is a win. C&P are going in the right direction, maybe some finetuning (scan-mission, powerplay notority) necessary. Many good QOL features. New guardian sites are nice - some bugs, but rather minor.

edit: at this point I am returning to Meene to see if there the "personal narrative" will unfolde...

if not:
d6149.jpg

Last edited:

sollisb

Banned

Well no network errors is a bonus!

C&P - Buggy, convoluted, long-winded 2/10
Engineers - Even more grindy, over-engineered, looks nice 4/10
Missions System - Still buggy - 2/10
Graphics - 9/10 (dropped a point because the same bugs as 2.4 are still there)
Ships - 4/10
General Release - 4/10 - Releasing Guardian Modules wrongly priced and allowing them to be engineered is just pure incompetence especially after the Mission joke last release.

OverAll - Over convoluted rehash of existing systems. The re-hash of engineering was never needed and never asked for. The nerf to the KWS rendering it a useless module is down right baffling. The C&P is a knee jerk over-reaction to he actual problem, showing a complete mis-understanding, or worse an inability to create balanced intelligent game play.

What we're seeing is a company trying to re-engineer an over-grindy game with shallow depth, with re-hashed graphics and even more buggy coding, bad analysis, and overly complicated features.

Elite Dangerous: Beyond? 4/10 (The graphics save it. Again)

What we're seeing is a company trying to re-engineer an over-grindy game with shallow depth, with re-hashed graphics and even more buggy coding, bad analysis, and overly complicated features.

Indeed. From here until years end it's an exercise in confidence building.

I expected a few patch updates since Beyond went live, and while I'm sure they're in the works, absolutely no disruption. I've been playing pretty much non-stop since release, so congrats FDEV.

Planet textures look great. Well done.

The new Guardian sites. I deliberately popped into Meene to see Ram Tah and blue print some engineering mods, because Beyond appears to have wiped all existing pinned blue prints. Not that I really used them much prior anyway, but remote engineering looked like it might save some time, but alas without special effects etc. it's a bit disappointingly useless. I also docked at Felice dock, and only received the old Ram Tah mission about the ancient ruins, not the new decryption mission/message. (I received the new decryption mission upon my return to Meene, after having been out at the new sites for 2 days - please for the love of god, you need to get this part of the game right, and stop stuffing it up. It's one of the biggest failings of Elite; mission narrative. It shouldn't be a case of telepathy to get involved in what your promo video shows off.)
And if that sounds harsh - In ObsidianAnt's most recent video on the above subject, he experienced the exact same thing. Poorly done FDEV.
Disappointingly I now have to go back and do the guardian sites all again to get Ram Tah's insights on the guardians. One foot, then the next foot FDEV ...it shouldn't be this hard to get it right, and have players easily get involved.

The new Guardian sites are awesome. Well done.
But, the sentinels are getting stuck behind things, and it's very easy too shoot them down from a distance while they are stuck. Needs to be looked at and fixed. Also occasionally their missiles decide to go looking for high grade emission signal sources and end up flying around in circles forever. That's not a joke (as much as it should be), I have video of the missiles just going round in circles endlessly.
That missiles when they hit and knock you over are awesome. Well done.
Dear god please give us a different SRV to drive. Something with some tanky handling. A brick on wheels to go with my Gun-brick please. :)

I was really disappointed after successfully charging all the pylons and using the Guardian data terminal TWICE - to get a single blueprint reward each time when I'd already collected many from the obelisks. For the work involved and amount of sentinels, there should be a much better reward here.

The new engineering.
Well I expected the worst and it's exactly what I got.
I'd often used reputation for special effects with engineers. Which means for most of the weapons engineers I was sitting at grade 3 access despite having been grade 5 countless times. All for the sake of adding special effects to the right engineering rolls.
So this means I couldn't even re-engineer a few legacy mod weapons due to the grade 4 'knock-back'. Dumb.
I then proceed to try and engineer a laser from scratch with my mate Broo and couldn't even get to grade 5 due to the "MATERIAL SINK". I would claim that I had good stocks of grade 3-5 weapons materials, but as it turns out the offal now being important means I literally couldn't engineer anything. Really disappointing.

So new beyond, nice and shiny, but for someone that was addicted to engineering, is now a massive door stop. Not well done. I could see this coming from Sandro's waffle on the live streams. My suspicions are pointless, but I don't think hat man has ever really engineered a ship. Really engineered a ship. We're not talking about 'smart rounds' for god's sake. Engineering has now been converted into material busy work in a very lame fashion. And yes, it's lame because anything to do with materials comes back to the fundamental RNG horrible-ness that FDEV continue to ignore.

The Material Brokers
Horrible interface. Poor returns for trades. Not well done.

The Technology Brokers
This is such a cool concept, so much cool potential - but I don't get how this is personal narrative. What's personal about non-unique items? I don't care personally, but has someone actually done the maths on some of the items?
The Guardian Hybrid Power Plant requires a huge grind (I've just done it and unlocked it), and this this appears to be a piece of c__p. Huge mass, horrible efficiency, and some extra power. Dear FDEV, can I please get something good and useful for all those not-easy-to-get materials. PLEASE BUFF THIS, I've worked towards this since launch, and it's c__p. And there's no good reason a guardian power plant should be c__p.
Also, cannot find a single technology broke via galaxy map 'services' filters. Material traders yes, but not tech brokers. Please fix.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FmA4UDu4QYUW7rqp1

New Mission Board
I don't know what you've done, but it's not responsive and the FPS seem to have dropped on something that is mostly static. Scrolling through missions is now horrible and slow, and feels like the whole thing is about to crash.

+Rep, Well Put

I'm also going to stay away from Scan missions for awhile per another post.

That said, I'm VERY happy I can choose my mission rewards now, the Planets look great, and I really like the Chieftain.

On the other side I do find the mission boards sluggish, the changing of the position of the REP versus Influence and Items sometimes leads me to choosing the wrong reward (when you have 20 to turn you can't assume which position REP will be in like you can with credits) and sometimes when I turn in a mission I get a "failed to connect with server" and the mission stays in the list.

Also seemed like rank up missions weren't popping for awhile but they seem to be back this morning.

Hopefully they will get all these little bugs worked out.

General Release - 4/10 - Releasing Guardian Modules wrongly priced and allowing them to be engineered is just pure incompetence especially after the Mission joke last release.

Can you explain this one to me? I did the Guardian module grind, and purchased two plasma chargers. They are epic fun, and unlike normal plasmas I can actually hit stuff and get a huge explosion to entertain myself. Not as much damage as I'd like but great fun all the same. What do you mean they are wrongly priced? I haven't attempted to engineer them either, but I thought I read that you can't???

I have unlocked the hybrid power plant, but by specs alone - looks like a complete waste of time and effort.

sollisb

Banned
Can you explain this one to me? I did the Guardian module grind, and purchased two plasma chargers. They are epic fun, and unlike normal plasmas I can actually hit stuff and get a huge explosion to entertain myself. Not as much damage as I'd like but great fun all the same. What do you mean they are wrongly priced? I haven't attempted to engineer them either, but I thought I read that you can't???

I have unlocked the hybrid power plant, but by specs alone - looks like a complete waste of time and effort.

40m raised to 120m ?

40m raised to 120m ?

Okay so I've read that the price was really cheap and has gone up (as you've suggested), and you cannot engineer them now.

How do they fit so many bugs into a game? It's actually impressive how this stuff gets botched.
Probably about time they stopped outsourcing.

What I am missing is the "personal narrative"...

I clearly remember this was associated with the Brokers. I think Frontier forgot about that.

Else I am happy with what I have seen so far.

Engineering and Mat-Brokers for my taste is a win. C&P are going in the right direction, maybe some finetuning (scan-mission, powerplay notority) necessary. Many good QOL features. New guardian sites are nice - some bugs, but rather minor.

edit: at this point I am returning to Meene to see if there the "personal narrative" will unfolde...

if not:

I believe the personal narrative related to tech brokers was that you got to choose what tech you bought / exchanged mats for.

Yes....that is it.

It's the same personal narrative as the outfitting screen and the ship buying screen, you get to choose what you buy....I know it's an amazing concept.

Quite how they believe this qualifies as personal narrative?

From my experience Beyond is a mess...wing missions spam, dead KWS, the horror of engineering. I've yet to go to a mats broker or tech broker so no comment.

The only positive I've experienced are the new textures on the planets, they look great.

Disclaimer: I haven't really played it that much, but these are my initial impressions:

Planet textures: Yay!

Smacked a C8 cargo hold in my T9. Almost 700 units: Yay!

Revisited my Keelback build and realized I need to upgrade the PP or something to use it for multicrew. Might build a new MC dedicated Keelback. Dunno.

Smacked a new PD in my T10 and engineered it to grd 5. Was able to trade some data for CIFW at enc mat trader. Engineer system was ok for one module, I guess, but haven't tried to engineer a ship from scratch yet.

C&P doesn't effect me much. I've got a couple fines and paid them off without fuss.

Alien stuff, and tech brokers: Meh, engineers 2.0.

Missions: Ok. Mission rewards choices are nice. Pay is all over the place.

Overall, it's ok so far, I guess. I reserve the right to change my mind based on further developments.:D

Notoriety is a joke. I don't really mind much else, maybe some of the good engineer rolls are a bit too easy to attain, but aye that's alright it's the over all min max of the build that makes it good (in pvp). Notoriety is absolutely terrible for the following examples

A player bounty hunter who has fun protecting traders in cg's now has waaaay less incentive to be as such any more. If a player bounty hunter in a cg receives a bounty, his downtime will literally be all day because of the insultingly long winded system. The murder hobo he's hunting doesn't care about being wanted and will have literally no downtime. Problem not solved, problem made worse, trying to get back to the state to do what you enjoy in ED is now content.

You're encouraged to switch out of hot ships, but have to use the ship transport function in another system to do so, or just flat out buy a new ride. Sure that's working as intended. sure it is. Just pay off notoriety when it drops. If it drops. If you don't have either your bounty or notoriety bugged, then you're sol, but that's intended, so it's working. As intended, all good.

Run into a friend in a fighter, and they will get a 200cr bounty. That they won't be able to lose for at least 2 hours, if that system is working as intended. Which of course it is. All of their gear is hot, now if they don't switch it or pay their bounty first, they have a 30m grief charge they can't do anything at all about, even if it's just some random other player in a fighter who wanted to make them wanted. New and unnecessary problem, check.

Now I'm not sure when anybody asked for this ridiculously time sucking and convoluted system, but it benefits literally nobody since murder hobos will pvp anyway, they were okay with being wanted in the first place. To compound that, usually those pvp'ing are at the absolute endgame and are loaded for ships and credits.The worst part though, is that notoriety is based off a concept that is used in mobile gaming platforms. How immersive, thanks fdev.

Last edited:
I just don't get it.
ecI0Ixz.png

The work that goes in to get this sort of Alien tech shouldn't really result in something so useless.
- Huge increase to rebuy
- Huge increase to mass
- Huge increase to heat

for some extra power.

You used to be able to achieve something less crap (better) with grade 3 overcharged power plants (and a good secondary roll) before Sandro ruined engineering and made it a horrible material-sink.

So much potential for awesome....wasted.

Last edited:

The reason for this feeling like not enough reward is that there is a bug - usually, you would not be able to get Blueprint data from obelisks, and it will be removed in a future update.

I agree with you that the mission should have been advertised better, I also just flew to the sites as suggested in Galnet, and had to go back to some obscure, never mentioned station in Meene to pick it up.

Otherwise, I really like what I have seen so far, I enjoy the atmosphere in the new ruins and hunting for new data.

Last edited:
Top Bottom