Big 3 for daily use

For my money, your day to day ship should be medium pad. The Python and Krait MkII being excellent all rounders.

Of the big ships, the Anaconda is best for multipul reasons, mostly as it is the most multi roll.

The T9 is too weak. The Cutter too sluggish (and locked). The Corvette too combat focused and a Dirty Fed ship (and locked). The T10 is far too butt ugly.

Ok, so like everyone else, I looked at the Cutter and thought “what a great looking ship, I’ll have to get one.” Then I saw the price and my gamer voice said “They always price the most powerful stuff the highest.” So I got to work, earned my billion and a half credits, made my Imperial ranks, bought the thing, outfitted the thing, engineered the thing all G5, painted it metallic gold, flew it to where it’s been parked ever since.

Big ship? Yep
Lots of guns? Yep
Good shields? Yep
Fun to fly? Not really.
Worth the effort? Not really.
Would I Recommend it? Not really.

So it can manage 4 more tons than a Type-9 with nothing but cargo racks. Big deal. The Type-9 costs less, doesn’t slide all over, and won’t cost a small moon to replace when a pirate in a sidewinder blows it up.

As a combat ship it’s decent, but I’d rather be in something with better handling.

sollisb

Banned
Ok, so like everyone else, I looked at the Cutter and thought “what a great looking ship, I’ll have to get one.” Then I saw the price and my gamer voice said “They always price the most powerful stuff the highest.” So I got to work, earned my billion and a half credits, made my Imperial ranks, bought the thing, outfitted the thing, engineered the thing all G5, painted it metallic gold, flew it to where it’s been parked ever since.

Big ship? Yep
Lots of guns? Yep
Good shields? Yep
Fun to fly? Not really.
Worth the effort? Not really.
Would I Recommend it? Not really.

So it can manage 4 more tons than a Type-9 with nothing but cargo racks. Big deal. The Type-9 costs less, doesn’t slide all over, and won’t cost a small moon to replace when a pirate in a sidewinder blows it up.

As a combat ship it’s decent, but I’d rather be in something with better handling.

Depends on the player ?

My MCs Cutter is my go-to combat ship. My Vette has been gathering dust ever since I got my first Cutter.

Aint no SideWinder going to blow it up neither. In fact, I have yet to come even close to losing it. And I play mostly combat in CZs HZs

I finally bought and fitted out an anaconda the other day and engineered it for jump range.

I'm not using it to explore, god no. One session flying around in supercruise was enough to convince me I didn't want to do that. Its sole purpose is to strap modules to it and take them to the engineers so I don't have to fly my FDL or corvette 200ly when I want a huge gun modded.

I have a Corvette equipped for grind-type PvE combat. Winning battles and earning bounties that are then to be used for BGS manipulation. Also collecting materials with limpets. It has decent multicrew hospitality as well. Then I have a Cutter set up for AX combat. Not as easy to use as Krait Mk2 was, but workable. Also has multicrew options, but those are really only to be used in CZs, so not that often. Then I have Beluga for high-class passenger transport and touring, no complaints. Finally a Type-9 for hauling, my first big ship. These days it's mainly used for PP merits and occasionally to manipulate BGS.

I have the big four.
Beluga, Cutter, Corvette, T-10.
I fly them the least. Beluga more so for passenger missions and obscure mats. Cutter for various CG, Vette for certain CZ, T-10 yet to be approved.
Small and medium ships is me for combat. Solo and PG only.
Personally I'll never own an Annie.
I am Rick6549 and i approve of adding the Beluga and taking away the anaconda.

Depends on the player ?

My MCs Cutter is my go-to combat ship. My Vette has been gathering dust ever since I got my first Cutter.

Aint no SideWinder going to blow it up neither. In fact, I have yet to come even close to losing it. And I play mostly combat in CZs HZs

So armed with MC’s, you’re taking a shieldless Cutter filled with cargo racks into CZs and HZs and engaging enemies? You’re the greatest Cutter pilot ever.

Now, if it has shields, some armor and a shield battery or two, yeah, it’s a decent combat ship. It’s not particularly nimble and has a big blind spot, but it gets the job done.

I haven’t CZd or HZd in close to a year, but when I did I usually flew a Python or a Beluga. I know they’ve changed a good bit since last I went war-profiteering, and it will be a while until I can check them out, but combat has never been a big focus for me. I like my cargo, quiet and noisy (freight and passengers), exploring and xenoarchaeology.

I've owned the original 3, but disposed of the Anaconda after reaching explo elite; for me, the Cutter does everything else the Anaconda does, but better.

My daily driver is a combat Corvette. It is so smooth to control and a very stable gun platform. Heat tolerant as well for my specific load out and can handle most everything encountered.

Also have a mining Corvette and use the Cutter and a Python as armed traders.

Further, the Anaconda's control response leaves me cold, another reason I don't currently own one.

I've owned the original 3, but disposed of the Anaconda after reaching explo elite; for me, the Cutter does everything else the Anaconda does, but better.

Except Frame Shift Jump. There’s a reason, just past the last neutron Star on the right there’s a place called The Anaconda Grave Yard, not The Cutter Graveyard.

But you like what you like, I’ll like what I like, and we’ll all be happy.

Anaconda is best used for Bulk Transport Passenger Missions or long range Exploration where you want to go far out fast and explore the outer rim areas that need the most extreme max jump range.

After that, other ships are better for other objectives.

Similarly, the Cutter is the best armed ship for Bulk Trading.

After that, other ships are better for other objectives.

You don't go for the best ship and use it for everything. Instead, you choose the most appropriate ship for the task in hand. The Cutter is good for cargo and mining. The Corvette is good for battle, and the Anaconda is good for travelling. There are always smaller ships that can be more enjoyable to use for whatever task you want.
This sums it up pretty perfectly.

Daily use ? None of them. Instead I use whatever serves me best for the task at hand.

Corvette does very well in assymetric combat situations. I use it mainly for bounty hunting and assassinations. It can tank multiple opponents very well, while it's fighter distracts at least one opponent, and you pick them apart one by one. It has enough internals to allow a size 5 Guardian FSD booster, so it can even travel pretty well. I actually stopped using it in combat zones, due to it's speed and the relative uselessness of the fighter there.

The Cutter is the best freighter in the game. Fast, incredibly tanky, well armed. Main use is cargo missions, where multiple mission generated Anacondas want to get shot down. I do not use it for standard hauling most of the time, since the maneuverability can get onto your nerves after a few trade runs.

The Anaconda is the most versatile. Mine has been many things. In it's early days it was a freighter. Later on it was my main warship. After the Corvette took that spot, I made the Conda a miner. After the T10 entered the scene I've remade the Conda into a lightweight and long range repair and refuel toolbox. It's the one role no other large ship can really fill, and which the Conda shouldn't be able to fill as well, but can, because of it's fairy-light hull.

The T10 is my surface miner. Excellent visibility, good thrusters, enough cargo space and so many hardpoints that you can have all the mining tools and still plenty of guns for anti-pirate defense. The Conda did that job well too, but the T10 does it better.

The T9 is my everyday hauler. Nearly as much cargo as the Cutter, far less annoying to fly though slower. Well enough armed to deal with one regular Elite pirate per run. It's set up as missile boat. No distributor draw on missiles means I can fight with 4 pips sys, 2 pips engines and 0 pips weapons. Ammo is pretty much gone after one fight, but so is the pirate.

The Beluga finally is set up as mass VIP tour bus. I can accomodate up to 4 groups of luxury passengers up to 8 people and up to 3 groups of business passengers up to 3 people in a single run. 5 Packhounds and a fighter assure that I can fend off mission NPCs. The maneuverability of the ship is downright silly. Long as it is and fast as it pitches the pilot should regularly blackout or redout at maximum pitch rate, especially since he sits at one far end and not on a center bridge.

No other large ship is worth mentioning, since all the rest should be medium considering their stats. But ship manufacturers were too dumb to design them in a way that fits onto a medium pad.

If I could keep only one ship though it would have to be Python or Krait II. Those two are the most versatile of all ships. They have more right to be actually qualified as large ships than an Imperial Clipper or Orca will ever have, but designers were smart, and they fit the medium pad.

I do a lot of trading and the majority of the time it's in my Cutter, unless I need to land somewhere with no large pads, then I use a Python. I have a T9, but I only really use it when I need that extra 30t of cargo it lets me carry. The Cutter simply gets things done faster.

I have an Anaconda, but it's been gathering dust since I got the Cutter. It can't carry as much cargo, I'm not a fan of the view out of it, and it's super sluggish in SC. I tried it for exploration, and while the jump range is great, the lack of maneuverability and visibility really got on my nerves. As for combat, I'm more of a small/medium ship guy.

My last exploration trip, I tried in a Beluga. I really liked it. It has decent jump range, excellent maneuverability for a large ship, and can carry just about anything you'd want to explore with. Of the big ships, it's the most enjoyable to fly for me.

I bought a Corvette back when they first came out and I wasn't really impressed, of course that was before engineers and FSD boosters, so I might try one out again. Maybe it can be the ship that makes me enjoy combat in something large.

Last edited:
I own an Anaconda, Cutter and, two Type-10 defenders.

The Anaconda is an old school laser miner. The Cutter is a 512 armed trader that can usually be found helping out the IDA.

Of my two type-10s one is a wing support combat ship with a class 6 fighter bay, three healing beams and, six pack-hound launchers. The other is a 48Ly fleet support explorer. Fuel and repair controllers, a single healing beam and, can high wake from within a Neutron star's exclusion zone without overheating.

Cutter's proven the most flexible in my experience. I do love that ship. It's the main one I fly whenever I get back to the Bubble, having used it as my primary for ages. Mine still has legacy engineered class 5 shields on it, too. It's great for pretty much anything I want to use it for.

My Anaconda has mostly been mothballed since getting the Cutter. Everything I used it for the Cutter could do just as well. Sometime I may play about with it with engineers and try to find a niche for it, but honestly, jump range was the primary pull, and mostly I only need that nowadays when getting back to the bubble from colonia to pick something up, for which I now have a ~70ly DBX, which only costs me 17m and 3 days to ship back to Colonia each time.

With a bunch of engineering and a LOT of money I got my Corvette to a place where I'm happy with it as a combat ship. Even managed to strip it down and get 45ly out of it for flying it back to Colonia, too. Which was nice.

My T9 remains my primary general purpose ship, and my favourite for exploration. It has the cargo capacity for CGs, can fit a bunch of cabins, andmakes a pretty nice explorer with that cockpit and the space for all the modules I want, as well as its almost 47ly jump range when fully kitted out for exploration as I did on DW2

Of the big ones I have a conda and a vette. I use the conda as an armed exploration vessel. My vette is kind of multi purpose and I fly that in the bubble most of the time. Needs the FSD booster to be a main ship. I also have a cargo hold of 150 ish. I like to minein the python, then switch to vette for transport to highest payer

Cutter is the trader king. It will pay for itself (before VO mining was a thing). It will transport people and cargo for mega credits, and do it in style. Laugh at pirates from behind shields as big as a mountain range.

Vette is a killing machine. But it needs a guardian FSD booster. Boy, does it need an FSD booster. Two, if I could.

Annie is good.. just not "as good". Unless you need jump range for passenger missions. My Annie rules the site seeing mission market (before VO mining was a thing)

I fly the Vette most often. With the Cutter and Annie, I have as many credits as I want. When I leave port I'm usually gonna kill sumthin..

sollisb

Banned
So armed with MC’s, you’re taking a shieldless Cutter filled with cargo racks into CZs and HZs and engaging enemies? You’re the greatest Cutter pilot ever.

Now, if it has shields, some armor and a shield battery or two, yeah, it’s a decent combat ship. It’s not particularly nimble and has a big blind spot, but it gets the job done.

I haven’t CZd or HZd in close to a year, but when I did I usually flew a Python or a Beluga. I know they’ve changed a good bit since last I went war-profiteering, and it will be a while until I can check them out, but combat has never been a big focus for me. I like my cargo, quiet and noisy (freight and passengers), exploring and xenoarchaeology.

Who flies a shield less Cutter ? Who flies a Cutter with filled Cargo racks in a CZ?

I have 3 Cutters on my main account, A Multi-Cannon, A Pulse and Beam weaponised, all have max G5 shielding. One is an armoured freight carrier (Opals) and the other 2 are combat platforms. I also have 2 x Vettes beams and MCs again, both weapon platforms, but as the Vette has a really bad JR I rarely use them. Add to that multiple Condas, Pythons and a range of smaller ships all go to make up my maxed out fleet.

For PvE a fully engineered Cutter is next to invincible and can go anywhere in a respectable timeframe. The Corvette, while being more agile loses out on shielding and jump range making it only really useful close to home.

Obviously there are exceptions to all rules. Some players are happy to travel 400ly at jumps of sub 20lys.. That's fine and entirely their choice. In the old days of Community Goals, I always brought a Cutter. Now since they changed them, I ignore them as they've becone a grind-athon in my opinion.

Then there's the Anaconda. Again, properly engineered, is just as useful as the big 2, but can't compete in the longevity shield stakes, but can sure dish out some hurt. Offset to this is it's amazing utility, go anywhere fast ability, and can be in one in under a few hours, the other 2 being hidden behind grind walls.

I had a beluga. That is I bought it in SD, and A-Rated it. Took it for a test spin and sold it back. Just not for me :)

The Pyhton with G5 engineering and Mirror Composites is a thing og beauty in the HazRez, but just can hold it against wings. Especially the Federal wings of GS (+slfs) and FAS. Against anything else, it is pretty good fun.

The T-10 might be more your style I feel. Though in my playstyle, it is just too heavy and lacks shielding. It lays down the hurt for sure, but also takes it. It's a more a stand-off weapons platform. I don't play in wings, so I fly just because I like it as a 'flying machine' :)

o7

Top Bottom