Biological POIs Surface Scanning

So we can always tell after using the FSS if a planet has an Geological things of interest by the Volcanism. But is there a way to tell from the FSS scan if anything might have any biological type POIs such as Brain Trees, Tube Worms, Fungal Life, etc?

I know Brain Trees have been found near Guardian Ruins, but figure now there may be a lot more out there that aren't. But can't seem to figure out how to locate these types of POI features.

Or is it just luck when you go check out a Geological site after mapping a planet and getting lucky is when you actually find them and there is no way to know by doing a FSS scan or even a DSS Scan on a planet?

In the FSS, when you scan a world, it will show any persistent signal sources on the world in question, including biological ones (if any). The display will be much like with geological ones, listed under the LOCATIONS panel in the FSS display.

After that, you can get the actual locations by flying to the planet and mapping it with your DSS.

However, biological sites are rare, compared to geological ones; and traditionally, most if not all sites have been found in or near nebulae. If there are biological sites outside of nebulae, we have yet to find them.

In the FSS, when you scan a world, it will show any persistent signal sources on the world in question, including biological ones (if any). The display will be much like with geological ones, listed under the LOCATIONS panel in the FSS display.

Ok maybe that's why. When I scan in the FSS, I quickly zoom in and then zoom out before the entire planet shows up. Much quicker that way and you get the planet discovered, but that's where I guess I'm missing any biological stuff, if there was any that I missed, but as you said there may not be anything outside nebula and I haven't been around one for weeks...

However, biological sites are rare, compared to geological ones; and traditionally, most if not all sites have been found in or near nebulae. If there are biological sites outside of nebulae, we have yet to find them.
There are many biological sites outside of nebulas. I'm currently somewhere in the galactic core and I have found many biological sites on moons - most happen to be sinuous tubers. I do agree though that biological sites are far rarer than geological ones.

Last edited:
Sorry, but that’s not correct. There’s loads of biological sites outside of Nebula and it’s been that way for a long time now.

Ok maybe that's why. When I scan in the FSS, I quickly zoom in and then zoom out before the entire planet shows up. Much quicker that way and you get the planet discovered, but that's where I guess I'm missing any biological stuff, if there was any that I missed, but as you said there may not be anything outside nebula and I haven't been around one for weeks...
Yep, that’s basically stopping the FSS scan before it has chance to check for any surface signals. You’ll definitely miss things that way, not just biologicals but other things too. If you don’t want to risk missing things then you need to make sure that Notable Signals is None before moving on to scan the next body.

Yep, that’s basically stopping the FSS scan before it has chance to check for any surface signals. You’ll definitely miss things that way, not just biologicals but other things too. If you don’t want to risk missing things then you need to make sure that Notable Signals is None before moving on to scan the next body.
The FSS surface scan continues, even if you "back out" of the surface scan of the planet and continue looking for other planets/GGs in the system. If you return via FSS 20-30 seconds later, you'll find the surface scan has completed. You don't need to keep the FSS locked onto the planet while the surface scan processes.

To clarify we used to suspect or theorise many things simply because we didn't have the tools to find stuff easily, we can now find huge amounts of data to confirm or prove wrong our previous ideas.

For instance before the beta we used to think bio sites only occurred on planets with vulcanism, we now find this is wrong. This may have been changed with the advent of 3.3, however this may have been the case all along and they were simply to hard to find previously, indeed no-one I know was actually checking non-volcanic bodies for bio sites! So we need to keep in mind, old explorers and new, that pre-3.3 may as well have been a different galaxy to what we are exploring now.

Take anything we explorers previously thought and said with a grain of salt, and if you think it was wrong don't hesitate to post updated information.

The FSS surface scan continues, even if you "back out" of the surface scan of the planet and continue looking for other planets/GGs in the system. If you return via FSS 20-30 seconds later, you'll find the surface scan has completed. You don't need to keep the FSS locked onto the planet while the surface scan processes.

See I don't even go back into the FSS. I just look on EDDiscovery if there is any geological symbols to know a planet has something there. Or if there aren't many, I'll look on the System Map to find if there are any Volcanic systems on landable planets by just hovering over them.

I just don't know where the Biological type data would show up on that though. is it even visible on the planet after it's scanned in the description in the Systems Map? Or do you have to zoom into it on the FSS and that's the only way to find if there is any biological POI's on a planet unlike volcanic types POI's where you can just see in the Systems Map?

Yeah, it does that and it's still a bit clumbersome. I would prefer if I could go the the System Map after scanning and look for the biologicals there while I'm looking for the terraformables. I wouldn't have to tell me exactly how many signals there are like it does after I map the planet, just that there is something there.

See I don't even go back into the FSS. I just look on EDDiscovery if there is any geological symbols to know a planet has something there. Or if there aren't many, I'll look on the System Map to find if there are any Volcanic systems on landable planets by just hovering over them.

I've noticed, in SC, if you point your ship at a body without selecting it a popup will appear if it has POI's, but apart from that I think the only way is to use the FSS I am afraid, it's something that really needs to be addressed.

I've noticed, in SC, if you point your ship at a body without selecting it a popup will appear if it has POI's, but apart from that I think the only way is to use the FSS I am afraid, it's something that really needs to be addressed.
I actually found out my original theory doesn't hold up. I found Biological POI's on non volcanic planets. So looks like the only way to find them is in fact to zoom into the planet in the FSS which kind of sucks...

I have not been able to find even one Biological point of interest. Any best places to look? I am now in Keplers crest.. Maybe it is just too empty there?

I have not been able to find even one Biological point of interest. Any best places to look? I am now in Keplers crest.. Maybe it is just too empty there?

Ok best places I have found have been hot stars with large habitable zones and lots of sub stars, either as secondaries or as orbital, set your star filter to the hot end, so A, B, O, F, K and possibly G, look for multiple star systems. I am sure they are there somewhere. Basically KGBFOAM, they do appear in other types of systems and I wouldn't skip them generally, but if you are trying to maximise odds that's the way to do it!

Anemones are confined to systems with O, B and A class stars (mostly B). Bark mounds are mostly just near nebulae. The others, I haven't seen yet, but Varonica's advice probably best. Brain trees, I'm told, are confined to being near to guardian sites but haven't done any research outside the forum to confirm (but it seems likely).

Ok best places I have found have been hot stars with large habitable zones and lots of sub stars, either as secondaries or as orbital, set your star filter to the hot end, so A, B, O, F, K and possibly G, look for multiple star systems. I am sure they are there somewhere. Basically KGBFOAM, they do appear in other types of systems and I wouldn't skip them generally, but if you are trying to maximise odds that's the way to do it!

I travelled to the Crab Nebula and Found a lot of biological sites. It show both geological (x) and Biological (x) sites in the view at the same time (top right). I also found that Bark mounds are really common near nebula. No luck in finding other sightings yet.

Anemones are confined to systems with O, B and A class stars (mostly B). Bark mounds are mostly just near nebulae. The others, I haven't seen yet, but Varonica's advice probably best. Brain trees, I'm told, are confined to being near to guardian sites but haven't done any research outside the forum to confirm (but it seems likely).

Thank you for this. I haven't found a single biological POI after scanning 300 systems in Blu Thua and Smojai. I'm hopping O, A, and B stars right now toward the core and hope for better luck. Have you found any biological POIs on icy bodies?

CMDR Ex

I started hitting the B-class stars pretty hard, while I was still in Empyrean Straits the last few days, and finally found Anemones. Sadly, they wouldn't scan into the Codex.

I did not know this but I sure ain't surprised that FDev wants us to spend those extra 30 seconds staring at the planet doing nothing.

Top Bottom