Bizzare blurry star?! Help identifying.

I have just found a weird blurry star. I have shots of the coordinates and a shot of the angle of viewing with the star there. It is very hard to find. it does not show up until an exact angle and zoom are achieved. If you are not on the absolute exact spot and you zoom in and out past it you will see it appear then disapear. You can use mouse button 1+2 to move and find it sow it shows up on your zoom once found. It is very hard to find.

Does anyone have any idea what it is. You cannot click on it. And in some zooms it appears so close that it looks over pixelated. It may be close but you cannot click it. I was looking for the closest star to Iras 21565-3937 when I found it. It's a bit above the Iras star.

It looks like one of the many extremely bright stars that are blurs all over the place. But It only shows up at that angle. And if it's extremely distant it is well below the galactic plane!

From what I can tell it is not a background object outside of the galaxy.

I'm on absolute low settings with supersampling setting at 0.5 so everything is pixelated more than normal. I have no idea if this is a part of why it is showing up weird. It's also why some stuff in the pics are hard to read. The coordinates should be visible though.

It's not the red object in that area. Or I would be able to see my engineer bookmark for Tir in colonia. and it's zoomed in enough I can't see Screagi EP-Z D0 just off to the left of the screen with a bookmark. The visible top bookmark is NGC 6871 16.

So:

Coordinates: Put your map on: -139.5, -2022, 1687.5

Visible bookmark:

Top of screenshots: NGC 6871 16

Off shot Bookmarks:

Left of shot: SCREAGI EP-Z D0
Right of shot: Tir

Last 3 pics are from supersampling 1.0. Much better picture! Looks like a star now!

Source: https://imgur.com/a/I8oCvBn

Last edited:
Easy way to tell if it's a star - when you have it in view, switch your map mode between filtered map (what you have now) and realistic. If its appearance changes, it's a star. If not, it's something else.

I'd say most likely it's an extragalactic object. But it could be a nebula, as they can be tricky about render distances. And there are a small handful of clusters and nebulae way above/below the reachable parts of the galaxy.

Yea, I switched between map and real mode and it stayed the same. Maybe it's a galaxy. But it looks to low. Maybe it's super bright star beneath the galaxy.

I put supersampling back to 1.0 and I'm still looking for it. Very hard to find.

Added 3 pics to the bottom at supersampling 1.0. It's much more visible. Still can't tell what it is. It's not showing up like normal objects. And now it's a plane dot like a star. It doesn't appear to be background and with such a nice dot I'm thinking it's not cloud like anymore... Maybe. I could be wrong. Still can't click on it so I'm assuming it's not local. It also seems easiest to find when not looking for it.

Last edited:
Hard to tell from the image but if you can also see the greater and lesser magellanic clouds in the same general direction ("down" if you'd like to call it that) my guess is that you're looking at Andromeda Galaxy.

This may help:
3CD95F895C21E83F9DB9F3636B4BAB888F2FF981

If it looks like that little blob in the circle, that's Andromeda.

Deleted member 166264

D
I'm thinking that it's another galaxy. I'm not on my PS4 at the moment to go look though.

Top Bottom