Newcomer / Intro Black box mission help

I'm really new to this game and so far im pretty confused overall lol, so if someone could help with this mission (first one I'm doing since the intro mission) I'd be grateful :)

I took a mission from someone in the Kadenyuk Orbital, Kini

It's Black Box Salvage Contract for Refinery

So the black box is in Eravate system, so i go to the Nav beacon in Eravate and scan it, it tells me the black box is at Eravate 5, I go to Eravate 5 and I look around it in FSD, I find the mission objective, and jump into it.

But all there is like 10 canisters of Trade data (which is illegal apparently) and no black box? There are about 5 bits of debris at the location and i flyed around all of those and no black box appeared in my contacts and i could see/target one either? I'm really confused do I just have too keep looking around aimlessly in space? Should I try and go back to the Nav beacon and scan again? Even though the mission says the black box is unique.

Also every time I come here there are 3 Federal security ships and they sometimes scan me or sometimes I get attacked, not sure if whether by them or another NPC or another player I can't tell it all happens so fast... I'm not sure why tho its weird (and frustrating)

So yeah if anyone could mainly clarify where the black box is meant to be or is this a glitch on my first mission lol?

Sounds like you're doing it right. I always find the BB at the mission obj. Sometimes I'm attacked, so I leave before accomplishing mission, so I warp out. Flying around again, a new mission obj appears. I would leave, find another, go back in. Or, quick the game and start it back up again to see if that fixes the glitch.

Sounds like you're doing it right. I always find the BB at the mission obj. Sometimes I'm attacked, so I leave before accomplishing mission, so I warp out. Flying around again, a new mission obj appears. I would leave, find another, go back in. Or, quick the game and start it back up again to see if that fixes the glitch.

Ok thankyou I'll try that again and see if it works (il come back to say how it went)

Salvage contracts work like this.

You are asked to fetch a certain number of specific items - say, 4 black boxes. Once you accept the mission, certain mission-specific signal sources will appear, once you are in the designated vicinity of the mission; they look different to "normal" unknown signal sources. From your description, it sounds like you've already found these.

Now, there are supposed to be those four targets in your location, but sometimes, there isn't. Or sometimes, you get chased away by pirates before you can scoop them all. Don't panic. Fresh mission objective signal sources will continue to spawn in Supercruise, until you successfully scoop up four of them. You might even be destroyed with three black boxes in your hold and it's still OK, those black boxes can be replaced for now - as far as the game is concerned, they aren't "unique" yet. You might even be able to scoop up more than four of them, but that's just a bonus you can later sell.

Once you scoop the fourth black box, you'll get a message in your inbox congratulating you on your successful acquisition and asking you to bring them back to the place that gave you the mission. The mission description will also be modified and "updated". It is now that the black boxes become Unique and irreplaceable. From now on, until you hand the mission in and claim the reward, if your ship is destroyed or you somehow manage to lose one of the black boxes (say, a pirate steals one out of your hold, or you accidentally hit the Eject All Cargo button) then you can no longer complete the mission - no more Mission Objective signal sources will appear. You will have to formally abandon the mission if that happens. (pro tip: from the main menu, go to your control options, and make sure there is no such thing as the Eject All Cargo button. Unbind it; assign no key or button to it. You will never actually have to eject all of your cargo. We aren't even sure why it's in the game, apart from being a trap for newbies hitting the button by accident).

So yes, just keep cruising around, and keep looking for those black boxes. You should eventually find them all.

No i tried again twice I feel like I get attacked by someone prety much every time(i notice they ask for my cargo first, even though i have no cargo..) and then i either die to them or escape or the security ships take him out. But then theres still just trade data canisters i am really confused lol.

This mission i think is still one of the intro missions, the black box is unique so i think there is only one vicinity in the mission around the planet. But i tried cruising round the planet for 5 minutes and nothing else popped up.

I took a picture of what i see in the contacts once i phase in to the mission site (normally theres 3 federal security ships too but i think i went out of range or something)

and took a picture of the mission too

just so u can see for yourself my pain :'(

Just checking... The appearance of the mission objective was announced by the ship's voice and the signal source had blue text? If not you entered a random signal source unrelated to the mission.

I had the same thing happen here. It was a blue mission objective, and it had trade data being patrolled by a couple of "greens." I left system and came back, still "greens" with trade data. I was mugged twice,so I guess salvage missions ranked elite will certainly be living up to their name.

This has happened to me once or twice before, I usually just discard the mission and take the hit as I can always curry more favor than I lose. Although I was tempted to write a ticket for it, I'm allied with the faction, so the damage will be minimal for discarding it.

Last edited:
I'm really new to this game and so far im pretty confused overall lol, so if someone could help with this mission (first one I'm doing since the intro mission) I'd be grateful :)

I took a mission from someone in the Kadenyuk Orbital, Kini

It's Black Box Salvage Contract for Refinery

So the black box is in Eravate system, so i go to the Nav beacon in Eravate and scan it, it tells me the black box is at Eravate 5, I go to Eravate 5 and I look around it in FSD, I find the mission objective, and jump into it.

But all there is like 10 canisters of Trade data (which is illegal apparently) and no black box? There are about 5 bits of debris at the location and i flyed around all of those and no black box appeared in my contacts and i could see/target one either? I'm really confused do I just have too keep looking around aimlessly in space? Should I try and go back to the Nav beacon and scan again? Even though the mission says the black box is unique.

Also every time I come here there are 3 Federal security ships and they sometimes scan me or sometimes I get attacked, not sure if whether by them or another NPC or another player I can't tell it all happens so fast... I'm not sure why tho its weird (and frustrating)

So yeah if anyone could mainly clarify where the black box is meant to be or is this a glitch on my first mission lol?

OK so, when you enter the system and scan the nav beacon that tells you where to go (get an Advanced Scanner). Then cruise out to the location and find your Mission Objective. Come out of Cruise and go into the target menu and select one of the Black Boxes or Rare Artwork. Open the Cargo Hatch and scoop it up. (buying and using Collector Limpets is Priceless). OK so, when the pirates show up you've got the right idea by leaving the system and coming back as this resets the objective. But the pirates never truly leave. I find that if i'm quick enough I can get 1 item per pass. I think this is why you get 2-6 days to do some of these missions. Trial and error i'm afraid. But good luck!

OK so, when you enter the system and scan the nav beacon that tells you where to go (get an Advanced Scanner). Then cruise out to the location and find your Mission Objective. Come out of Cruise and go into the target menu and select one of the Black Boxes or Rare Artwork. Open the Cargo Hatch and scoop it up. (buying and using Collector Limpets is Priceless). OK so, when the pirates show up you've got the right idea by leaving the system and coming back as this resets the objective. But the pirates never truly leave. I find that if i'm quick enough I can get 1 item per pass. I think this is why you get 2-6 days to do some of these missions. Trial and error i'm afraid. But good luck!

I believe that like me, he found his mission objective, but all that's there are "trade data" canisters when you disengage into the area; there are no black boxes, commercial samples or rare artwork to scoop up. I'll check once every one or two sessions to see if it changes and let the mission expire if necessary, but it's certainly not the first time someone's had a salvage mission and wound up with no salvage to... err... um... salvage.

Last edited:
Are you doing the mission in open, PG or solo?

If you're doing it in open, try doing the mission in solo instead.

With that said, I think the mission is bugged.

I think I agree. Was doing a Federation Navy mission to find 4 BB's out in Ceos. Nav beacon sent me 114,000 ls into the system and spawned the mission objective 40 minutes after arriving at the target planet. Only had 3 BB's in it. Stuck around for another 40 minutes and no other mission objective spawned.

No being funny, but supercruising around a system waiting for a mission objective to spawn for over an hour isn't my idea of fun.

I think I agree. Was doing a Federation Navy mission to find 4 BB's out in Ceos. Nav beacon sent me 114,000 ls into the system and spawned the mission objective 40 minutes after arriving at the target planet. Only had 3 BB's in it. Stuck around for another 40 minutes and no other mission objective spawned.

No being funny, but supercruising around a system waiting for a mission objective to spawn for over an hour isn't my idea of fun.

Doing the same at Ceos.

On the first spawn, I got close enough to the first box before 4 enemies arrived and opened fire.
Now, I was expecting them. So my Python has reinforced G5 shields, backed up with boosters, chaff and a Shield cell bank. But even so, the heavy fire incoming was nerve jangling to cause me to miss the box.

So I closed up the cargo hatch, deployed weapons, and spun round to fight. Killed one right off with the heavy guns a Python can carry.
But one of the boxes blew up then. Maybe a stray shot? Who knows. No point sticking round with bleeding shields, and not enough boxes to to finish, so I bugged out. An engineered Eagle kept up, with harassing laser fire. I killed it, but by then had outdistanced the sensors range for the rest.

30 min later, the second spawned.

This time, it was 5 of them. Mostly Sidewinders. And a FDL with a size 4 Plasma.
I ram-killed one, and shot down another. By then, the Feds turned up.
In a short time, all clear. I took out the FDL from behind. Ship was damaged in the fight. Mostly from heat.
Scooped up the boxes peacefully, and popped into hyperspace, where a human player was waiting.

This time, I was lucky. The boxes spawned, the enemies were survivable, the Feds came by - not bad.

After all those great stories I am beginning to regret taking this mission. But will give it a go got Another 4 days to complete it by. Out in Colonia I am hoping that FDev have been nice to us out here and fixed any bugs. Thanks Commanders.

Not even close to a record necro. ;) The game has changed a lot in the 20 months since the preceding post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom