Black holes: Cool in Fortnite. Boring in Elite Dangerous

Even with FTL, you cannot escape, at least via supercruise, this isn't so much a factor of speed, but a factor of the fact that space is curved inside, which means every direction takes you more towards the singularity, you could point your ship in that direction and fly but the outside view would continue to get smaller and smaller.

This is because inside of a blackhole event horizon, the space-time values flip in the field equation, what this means is actually pretty weird, Space becomes now a mono-directional motion towards an inescapable inevitable point, but time can now be moved backward and forward freely. Now how you would navigate that, I have no clue, and could you move forward in the hopes the black hole evaporates and the values flip again and you can escape, i dont know.
That concept is not proved yet, and will take a long time to be. It is just philosophy yet.
The only thing that is known about blackholes, is that there is no emission of light from it, and they seem to have an event horizon area, where energy and particles flow around, sometimes visible as an accretion disk.
I prefer to see it in a simpler way, and that means either a star which emits energy beyond the visible spectrum, or a variant of dead star, like white dwarfs and pulsars, that has such immense gravitational pull, that light bends into its event horizon and gets trapped there.

blackhole20190410.jpg
I said unaltered

That concept is not proved yet, and will take a long time to be. It is just philosophy yet.
The only thing that is known about blackholes, is that there is no emission of light from it, and they seem to have an event horizon area, where energy and particles flow around, sometimes visible as an accretion disk.
I prefer to see it in a simpler way, and that means either a star which emits energy beyond the visible spectrum, or a variant of dead star, like white dwarfs and pulsars, that has such immense gravitational pull, that light bends into its event horizon and gets trapped there.
In a very strict sense, yes. Since one cannot fly into a black hole and take direct measurements and report them back, exploration of black holes remains interestingly an inherintly unscientific endeavor. However the question is, do you consider exploring it mathematically scientific? If so, then the concept I described has been explained and explored from a mathematics point of view, specifically in Schwartzshield's exploration of the Einstein Field Equations.

However the question I'd love to ask either a scientist or a mathematician is how these equations and graphs would hold up with a FTL observer (disregard the how they are able to move FTL) But for example, could a observer moving FTL be able to sneak a peak into a blackhole event horizon and leave with the data? Would they be caught in the FTL inward falling time-space regardless of what their capabilities or would the inward falling time-space be falling at a certain rate and thus is a question of moving faster than that and climb up the incline? Would any kind of continuum distortion propulsion be able to even operate under such conditions or would the intense bending of space time just cause the drive to cease to function and thus the observer would be stuck at non-FTL speeds?

I think on one hand scientists are some of the smartest people on the planet, however I've noticed that not all of them are the most imaginative. And it takes an imagination to want to play with space time like it's Play-doh and try to press the limits. Most of the scientists I have managed to talk to just say "But no observer can move at FTL speeds" and just call it a day. And even suggesting to operate on that single conceit is just something they don't even want to start thinking about. It's weird.

In a very strict sense, yes. Since one cannot fly into a black hole and take direct measurements and report them back, exploration of black holes remains interestingly an inherintly unscientific endeavor. However the question is, do you consider exploring it mathematically scientific? If so, then the concept I described has been explained and explored from a mathematics point of view, specifically in Schwartzshield's exploration of the Einstein Field Equations.

However the question I'd love to ask either a scientist or a mathematician is how these equations and graphs would hold up with a FTL observer (disregard the how they are able to move FTL) But for example, could a observer moving FTL be able to sneak a peak into a blackhole event horizon and leave with the data? Would they be caught in the FTL inward falling time-space regardless of what their capabilities or would the inward falling time-space be falling at a certain rate and thus is a question of moving faster than that and climb up the incline? Would any kind of continuum distortion propulsion be able to even operate under such conditions or would the intense bending of space time just cause the drive to cease to function and thus the observer would be stuck at non-FTL speeds?

I think on one hand scientists are some of the smartest people on the planet, however I've noticed that not all of them are the most imaginative. And it takes an imagination to want to play with space time like it's Play-doh and try to press the limits. Most of the scientists I have managed to talk to just say "But no observer can move at FTL speeds" and just call it a day. And even suggesting to operate on that single conceit is just something they don't even want to start thinking about. It's weird.
I don't find it weird. As scientists, they prefer to stick to facts. Science-Fiction is out of their "scientific comments". So, if we want to imagine how an FTL observer could examine a Black Hole, we just have to stand by "science-fiction", and imagine it the way we would like it to be. So, I prefer to imagine Black Holes as terrifying things that one cannot escape from, not "weird harmless image warping bubbles".

Last edited:
I don't play Fortnite, but from what I've read, Epic have done some good (?) story telling to the point that players were watching streams of black holes for hours:

And I ask myself, what is Elite Dangerous, a space game which feature black holes, doing with them?

They pose no danger, just some extra heat and a lens effect. Even when you drop out of super cruise next to one.....nothing. No gravitational pull (yeah I know, the FSD counter-acts this because of science) but still, I can't help thinking that more should be done with them. If not gravity effects then perhaps some kind of time dilatation maybe?

In reality, Black holes are one of the scariest things in our universe. Not even light is safe from these soulless, gravity sucking monsters.

In Elite Dangerous, my premier space game, Black holes are......boring.

Boring.
Black holes!!!!!

Frontier, can we at least update the look of them? Please?

sYJmxjM.jpg
In general imo the environment in the game needs more teeth. Don't get me wrong it needs to be fair, dangers that with skill and care we can avoid (so not like the FSD dumping us in the middle of a sun after hyperspace like at launch).

So yeah I agree with you. And well paying missions to fire probes into one and record readings whilst we are full pips to engines trying not to get sucked in could be very cool.
(And would be a perfect use for some cheaper ships in the game so not risking your expensive gear)

They don't all need to awe inspiring but can we at least have a couple eating a star, or have an accretion disc have a guardian ship stuck forever trying to escape the event horizon distorted radio message of someone's final moments ...something a bit different

I don't play Fortnite, but from what I've read, Epic have done some good (?) story telling to the point that players were watching streams of black holes for hours:

And I ask myself, what is Elite Dangerous, a space game which feature black holes, doing with them?

They pose no danger, just some extra heat and a lens effect. Even when you drop out of super cruise next to one.....nothing. No gravitational pull (yeah I know, the FSD counter-acts this because of science) but still, I can't help thinking that more should be done with them. If not gravity effects then perhaps some kind of time dilatation maybe?

In reality, Black holes are one of the scariest things in our universe. Not even light is safe from these soulless, gravity sucking monsters.

In Elite Dangerous, my premier space game, Black holes are......boring.

Boring.
Black holes!!!!!

Frontier, can we at least update the look of them? Please?

sYJmxjM.jpg
Not just black holes... Everything is static, immobile and unintersting. Explorers are mostly looking for systems that are interesting - from a visual or statistical perspective. Not because something interesting or even - deities forbid - dangerous would be HAPPENING.

Top Bottom