Black screen + download new patch !?

Hey guys,

I played Elite Dangerous two days ago and everything went fine as usual.

Today, I tried to launch the game and everytime I clicked on "Play" in the game launcher it opened a black screen with no music, no ED logo appearing, nothing. Had no other choice than CTRL + ALT + DEL and end program. Tried a few time to relaunch the game...everytime It went to the black screen.

Restarted my computer...still getting a black screen.

Tried the "Verify file" thing...launcher bugged everytime so I had to force ending. Tried to verify files from Steam : it went through but said that over 12 000 files were missing ?!

I "Log out machine" from ED launcher and Log In again and now they are forcing me to download the whole 4.9 Go update again ?! Like if it wasn't already downloaded & installed.

P*ss me off because I have a very bad connection (downloading at 500 ko-s...like 12h of downloading for 5 Go...) and I don't even know why I have to download the last patch all over again...and I won't even know before tomorrow if I'll fix the black screen bug...

Any idea what could do that ? Since last time I played the only thing I did was tweak the configuration file but even replacing it with the default one didn't helped.

o7

Last edited:
O7 cmdr

Same here dude.
The game have crashed ALL my pc, forcing me to a hard system reset with power button.
Seriously, i'm starting to be badly ed of about that crap.
I understand everything , new patch , bugs , ok , BUT , i've NEVER SAW a DISASTER of that level with a release of a patch in any game.
ed up FPS, glitchs and bugs everywere, game crashes , grame freezing , system crash...

After all these years this game MUST be at least ROCK SOLID on the base , seems NOT, if a patch like that can create all that embarassing stuff, i do not really wanna imagine the issues with the huge dlc incoming in 2020...

FRONTIER , WHAT THE HELL HAVE U DONE !?!?!??

Hello.

I have the same problem.. just digging myself and find fix for me.

press widows key + r - %LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics

<FullScreen>2</FullScreen> fullscreen set to 2
you can try lower the resolution.. this worked for me. in game set resolution what you need. :)
The game crash when i set to fullscreen. so just play borderless..

i hope this help.

Hello.

I have the same problem.. just digging myself and find fix for me.

press widows key + r - %LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics

<FullScreen>2</FullScreen> fullscreen set to 2
you can try lower the resolution.. this worked for me. in game set resolution what you need. :)
The game crash when i set to fullscreen. so just play borderless..

i hope this help.

Hey thanks ! Finally reinstalling the last patch solved the problem but I'll remember this if it happens again.

o7

Starting ED on the PC the game runs for awhile then goes to a black screen. Monitoring the FPS it goes down to 12 before the screen goes to black. Then a no signal message is displayed which tells me that the graphics card has shut down. Keyboard WIN Alt commands wont't get back to the Windows 7 desktop so the only solution is a hard power shutdown.

Here is the YouTube fix that I found. I'm running a GeForce GTX 680 with Nvidia 390.65 drivers. Lowering the power limit and core clock values and I get 90-100FPS running ED in 1920x1080 windowed. Running 1440x3440 borderless maintains 90-100FPS in space only dropping to 60-70FPS with station menus. Note that my wide screen Acer Predator screen monitor is set for 100FPS.

This problem started after the latest April 2019 updates. Many players have reported much lower frame rates since these updates. The questions: Are older graphics cards on the way out, is this an ED generated problem or both? Are any players with the latest 1070/1080 graphics cards having a similar problem?

Regards

Last edited:
I'm using gtx 970 with latest driver in win 10.
Just bought the game on Steam yesterday. Everytime I enter the game, within 1 minute, usually around 50 sec, the screen turns black, and I have to kill the process from task manager.
Tried setting graphic quality to low, turning off v-sync, full screen mode, run as administrator etc. with no luck.
Going though a lot of forums all I get is there might be a driver compatibility issue.

But now I'm running training sessions with no black screen at all... I am starting to think this is a server connection issue. I guess each time I lose connection, the screen will turn black and freeze the game. Anyone agree with me?

Top Bottom