Blocking in Elite Dangerous

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
This has come up in other threads, but I think it warrants its own. I suspect it'll lead to some heated discussion, but I'm genuinely curious and willing to hear arguments from both sides.

Up to this point, I've not blocked anyone, even if they have killed me multiple times. I have been reserving the block for station rammers (which I sincerely believe is an exploit) or anyone who is creepy or abusive in the comms panel. So far I've not had this problem. However, today I thought of a new use for the block - as a tool to "fine-tune" one's experiences in Open in places like a CG. Allow me to explain.

At the current CG, there are often instances full of multiple wings of gankers. Trying to run this gauntlet in a trading ship is "tedious" to say the least. Nor do I find this immersive, seeing that the story of the CG is to save the galaxy from blight that would cause all of us (gankers included) to starve. It's just "blow people up for the fun of it" mayhem, and I'd like to opt-out of this silliness. However, I like the "community" aspect of a Community Goal, so seeing other traders and even an occasional ganker is enjoyable to me. So while switching to Solo removes "gank alley", it also removes everyone else.

Enter the block. My thinking is that I strategically block a couple of the aggressive, zero-roleplay "for the lulz" gankers who are habitually living in supercruise at the CG. Since most of these gankers all end up in the same instance, blocking just a few of them should put me in a separate instance when I enter the system, thus removing this grossly unbalanced "ganker gauntlet" from my gameplay. Once I arrive at the station, however, I should be instancing up with other traders, assuming none of the gankers on my block list are at the station at that time.

I would only be adding a small subset of gankers to my blocklist, as I actually find many of the gankers to be friendly, but it's their overwhelming numbers at times that I find game-breaking for me. This means I may still end up in an instance with a small number of "noble" gankers, depending on time of day, etc., so the game still will offer the risk of Open, but no the impossibility of Open at a CG where dozens of gankers are pouncing on single T9s.

In other words, by using strategic blocking, I can have the best of both worlds, or in this case, both "modes".

Now I recognize this may be is highly controversial. But it's not cheating, and it's better than playing in Solo where I would have zero risk from other players, it's just a mechanism to try to balance out the current imbalance of wings of G5 FDLs vs. single T9s. And, this actually happens all on its own on occasion, since "ganker alley" instance sometimes is so full that I end up in a separate, lonely instance anyway.

Now I do have some questions. First, if I'm friends with someone in the same instance shared with someone I have blocked, which wins, the priority to instance with a friend or avoid a blocked player? I have friended some of the "guardian" PvPers who defend traders, and I'm happy to jump into an instance with gankers if my guardian buddies are there to protect me. Second, what happens if I'm in an instance with a few non-blocked gankers (or anyone), and then a blocked player tries to enter the system? Do they get sent to empty-instance jail, or do I get kicked out of my current instance? This I suspect, depending on the answer, might be the controversial aspect to blocking.

Blocking as a feature is new to me, since it didn't work this way on PS4. Feel free to educate me on the finer details and correct any misconceptions I may have.

Took you a while ;)

I've been using this function that way for ages! It's a great tool to filter out players you'd rather not play with :)

Gg fdev, please don't ever change it!

I thought that was implied when I said I don't care about PP.... So, you have no argument with me! I'm nobody's "enemy", nor do I have any use for these PP modules. In fact, if a petition were made to remove PP from the game to help clean up ED's code base, I'll happily sign it :p

The problem with your POV is that PP is more than just module shopping. The block can and is used in Open to get around interdiction which is really part of the feature. In this context the block is then used to nullify the reason of playing in open- that of playing against other commanders.

I do wonder where that mythical open full of station rammers and gankers is? I rarely meet a ganker outside of Shinrarta or Deciat and have never met a station rammer. I think this whole narrative is fueled by people who either think it's a good idea to run missions in PvP hotspots or those who are never in open.

QUESTION (don't make me start a new thread!)
Why does Mobius exist?

In recent discussions about the block feature, I've been left wondering why people just don't block anyone who attacks them, thus creating their own version of a safer "private group", but with none of the limitations. For example, if I block everyone who attacks me, I'll still encounter everyone else in Open, as long as they are not in the same instance as the gankers on my block list. Switching to Mobius, however, I am effective "blocking" both gankers and peaceful players, at least peaceful players who are in Open. I'm also confined to a regional group (due to PG size limitations), and I have to jump through hoops and wait for days to be approved. Wouldn't blocking be easier and result in me crossing paths with more players?

The two obvious downsides I see is that if I like PvP (I do on occasion), I can't just quickly turn blocking on and off. Now there's an idea! New feature request!! Anyway, switching from PG to Open and back makes it easier to switch between PvE and PvP in ED. The other downside is that there will always be risk, especially when building that block list at the start.

Because I actually like PvP on occasion, I don't think the block list will work for me to turn "my" Open into PvE. But considering how many people use a PG like Mobius or Solo and never go into Open, I'm left wondering why these alternatives were considered better than using the block tool.
Soon after the launch of ED on the PS4, I became a member of the Mobius Group which has but one rule. And if proven to be broken, gets one banned from the group. Though I've not got around to joining Mobius since migrating to the PC. I've adopted the same credo as the Mobius group has which is "DON'T SPOIL ANOTHER PLAYERS GAME". If and when that happen's and using the proof is in the pudding idoma; I'm the judge and jury and with the option that Frontier provides, henchmen; I block!

I do wonder where that mythical open full of station rammers and gankers is? I rarely meet a ganker outside of Shinrarta or Deciat and have never met a station rammer. I think this whole narrative is fueled by people who either think it's a good idea to run missions in PvP hotspots or those who are never in open.
Darn it! You've exposed my secret! I confess, I never play in Open and make all this stuff up for the forum clicks.

Deleted member 182079

D
Current CG system is pretty busy; I even think I met a station rammer the other day - although I'm not sure as I was sticking to the speed limit in my Cutter and it felt like driving over a sea shell in a truck. It must've bounced right off my shields.

It has become common for certain low-skill PvP groups to use the block feature to give themselves a number advantage in wing fights... this became apparent on Friday during an outlaws vs lawfuls PvP event in open at the CG. The lawfuls were consistently dropping 12 players into instances without problems, while the outlaws couldn't get more than a single wing into the fights. Apparently some players on the lawful side were selectively blocking certain members of the outlaw side to stop them dropping in to give themselves an advantage... this caused the whole event to fall apart and players started logging off to play/stream other games.

You're a bad liar, son. But for the amusement of anyone who wants to know the double-dealing depths your outlaw buddies descend to, I'll address your allegations.

First: I've met a few ganker-types I have some respect for, because they're decent enough NOT to pick on transport craft in a CG, or kill explorers who are by necessity lightly armed and armored. Griefers? No. No respect for those who seeek out easy kills and pat themselves on the back for it. In fact, although I don't block anyone, I'd encourage all transport and exploration pilots in Open to block the griefers. They're a blight that should (and would) be hunted continually across systems and destroyed by ATR task forces...except FDev muffed C&P so badly that it's not persistent and is incredibly ineffective.

To your wild claims:
Outlaws v Lawfuls "PvP event"? Not bloody likely. Outlaws got hit for griefing at the CG, to drive them out of the system. No, it wasn't an event...and griefers aren't invited. If you want PvP events, go to Wyrd Wednesday. I don't PvP competitively, I have no interest in it, but if you'd like to display your prowess against equal competition rather than an unarmed, fat, slow Type-9, you know where to go.

I only help kill gankers and griefers because they're often toxic, and the ingame crime and punishment system is laughably ineffective. So, somebody needs to help the T-6, T-7, and T-9 CMDRs before your kind drives them all to Solo or Private Groups via constant harassment.

As far as your instancing issues, we had those too, along with plenty of crashes. But we had numbers on you, and we know how to use friendslists, wings, and low-wakes to drop into fights...and if it's an empty instance, we try again. You should stop swallowing everything Harry and his ilk try to cram down your throat...he's one with a lengthy block list of lawfuls that have killed/beaten him, as recorded (and posted!) on his stream. Best check yourself and your friends before you go slinging wild accusations again because you didn't git gud enough.

https://elitedangerous.de/forum/index.php?thread/20856-die-freie-presse-montagsausgabe-21-10-2019/ And look, it appears other outlaws say the same about the wild accusations. Lol.
(Translated to English: "Rumors that certain features of the game are unfairly used to achieve strategic advantages in instancing are neither proven, nor comprehensible, and are classified by the Free Press into the realm of fantasy until further notice.")

They're supposedly the honourable, lawful defenders of innocent players... however that does not seem to apply when they are fighting against outlaw groups. They generally use every cheesy tactic/ unbalanced weapon going, whether it's healing beams, premium ammo, selective blocking, huge number advantages, zombi'ing, ghosting etc you name it, lawful groups do it.

Heal beams? Only ones to use that in a long time have been PRISM...a griefer/outlaw group.

Premium? We've caught several outlaws using premium lately. Lawfuls don't use it because it's against the self-imposed internal rules of the largest cooperative groups.

Selective blocking? Annoying to us, we don't use it...but your criminal/griefer types absolutely do, and are on record doing so.

Quite frankly, we've catered to the outlaws almost ridiculously. In a real world, a spree-murdering killer is hunted down and permanently exterminated with any and all means available. No one of sound mind has ever suggested that the police should "1v1" with a criminal, should not use better weapons than a criminal, or not use any advanced technique available. Yet, out of a sense of generosity, even griefers are given that in Elite. I'd suggest that if you don't appreciate that, you fail to understand what RP-ing as a mass-murdering spree-killer entails. In short, you want all the benefits, and none of the consequences.

Think before you post, and have the common courtesy to point to some proof, or your desperation and frustration at losing make you look like a sore loser slinging wild, baseless allegations. Right now, you're the drunken pilot in the station lounge ranting about how someone cheated you at poker...because you lost.

My tongue-in-cheek advice to you when you're upset at losing to greater numbers? "Git gud, scrub!" Oh wait, that's your line, isn't it...

Hypocrisy, thy name is griefers.

Last edited:
Sidenote on Powerplay and faction BGSing: it really should be in Open only.

There are a lot of people who do Powerplay in private or solo, and ok...maybe that's understandable to an extent, but when what you do affects the whole game and control of systems, arguably it shouldn't be in solo or private, where NPC enemies are a cakewalk and all interdictions can be beaten easily.

Either the NPCs (and C&P system) really need to be stepped up, or PP in solo makes no sense to allow.

You do, as evidenced by your post here.
Oh I dont care about people blocking etc, I dont even care about combat logging anymore.

What i did care about was when I tried for 3 years to police the bad guys (fighting Code, SDC and so on), instancing, blue tunnels of death and a myriad of other ignored bugs shat on that big time.

Anyone remember people dumping bioware in a station instance to kill fps or being teleported into a stations interior or infinite premium ammo or items disappearing from your inventory or the heat weapon bug. There are so many bugs.

Nearly everyone I used to play with in beta and gamma stopped playing ages ago. I myself have not played in months and only saw this thread as it popped up in my suggestion feed. I was going to write something about man babies, but I stopped short as I thought I'd eat a forum ban. But in reflection, maybe I should of.

Know doubt I'll come back to the forum in December to laugh at people who are being grieffed in their fleet carriers.

when what you do affects the whole game and control of systems, arguably it shouldn't be in solo or private

PP isn't the only mechanism like this. The rest of the BGS influences most aspects of the game in some way, and most anything that involves any sort of transaction influences the BGS.

PP is, apparently, supposed to be more competitive, but the whole game is built around a shared BGS that can easily be just as competitive itself and has equally significant implications for most CMDRs.

Double post... so I'll waffle some more

But yeah, the game should of been Open only. Even the bad guys would flick to PG to move ships around. Game would of been way better if it was Open only.

Oh I dont care about people blocking etc, I dont even care about combat logging anymore.

What i did care about was when I tried for 3 years to police the bad guys (fighting Code, SDC and so on), instancing, blue tunnels of death and a myriad of other ignored bugs shat on that big time.

Anyone remember people dumping bioware in a station instance to kill fps or being teleported into a stations interior or infinite premium ammo or items disappearing from your inventory or the heat weapon bug. There are so many bugs.

Nearly everyone I used to play with in beta and gamma stopped playing ages ago. I myself have not played in months and only saw this thread as it popped up in my suggestion feed. I was going to write something about man babies, but I stopped short as I thought I'd eat a forum ban. But in reflection, maybe I should of.

Know doubt I'll come back to the forum in December to laugh at people who are being grieffed in their fleet carriers.
Thanks...

Bye...

See you in December xxx

The problem with your POV is that PP is more than just module shopping. The block can and is used in Open to get around interdiction which is really part of the feature. In this context the block is then used to nullify the reason of playing in open- that of playing against other commanders.

There may be a really simple solution to the block-conundrum for PP. FDev have already made it clear that they very much consider the possibility of PvP as a key element of PP. Pledging to a Power immediately disables the block feature for the pledged Cmdr, thereby disabling any work around.

Toddle off and play something else instead its just a video game players starting stopping or returning isn't really noteworthy at all. Hanging around whinging at people about their menu choices in a game you don't play anymore is a little bit odd.

Most people who played at a high level have pretty much drifted away. You have some hold outs of course, but generally speaking the people who are satisfied with the experience are the people who expected the very least from the simulation and put the least amount of effort as humanly possible trying out what actually is there.

I have no idea why Solo play and Private group weren't enough for most people.

"Block" should block comms only. Open is and should be a dangerous place. Now FDEV allows everyone to make open play their own personal private group. No. Stop it already what are you doing.

What spec of ship are you flying right now?

You're a bad liar, son. But for the amusement of anyone who wants to know the double-dealing depths your outlaw buddies descend to, I'll address your allegations.

First: I've met a few ganker-types I have some respect for, because they're decent enough NOT to pick on transport craft in a CG, or kill explorers who are by necessity lightly armed and armored. Griefers? No. No respect for those who seeek out easy kills and pat themselves on the back for it. In fact, although I don't block anyone, I'd encourage all transport and exploration pilots in Open to block the griefers. They're a blight that should (and would) be hunted continually across systems and destroyed by ATR task forces...except FDev muffed C&P so badly that it's not persistent and is incredibly ineffective.

To your wild claims:
Outlaws v Lawfuls "PvP event"? Not bloody likely. Outlaws got hit for griefing at the CG, to drive them out of the system. No, it wasn't an event...and griefers aren't invited. If you want PvP events, go to Wyrd Wednesday. I don't PvP competitively, I have no interest in it, but if you'd like to display your prowess against equal competition rather than an unarmed, fat, slow Type-9, you know where to go.

I only help kill gankers and griefers because they're often toxic, and the ingame crime and punishment system is laughably ineffective. So, somebody needs to help the T-6, T-7, and T-9 CMDRs before your kind drives them all to Solo or Private Groups via constant harassment.

As far as your instancing issues, we had those too, along with plenty of crashes. But we had numbers on you, and we know how to use friendslists, wings, and low-wakes to drop into fights...and if it's an empty instance, we try again. You should stop swallowing everything Harry and his ilk try to cram down your throat...he's one with a lengthy block list of lawfuls that have killed/beaten him, as recorded (and posted!) on his stream. Best check yourself and your friends before you go slinging wild accusations again because you didn't git gud enough.

https://elitedangerous.de/forum/index.php?thread/20856-die-freie-presse-montagsausgabe-21-10-2019/ And look, it appears other outlaws say the same about the wild accusations. Lol.
(Translated to English: "Rumors that certain features of the game are unfairly used to achieve strategic advantages in instancing are neither proven, nor comprehensible, and are classified by the Free Press into the realm of fantasy until further notice.")

Heal beams? Only ones to use that in a long time have been PRISM...a griefer/outlaw group.

Premium? We've caught several outlaws using premium lately. Lawfuls don't use it because it's against the self-imposed internal rules of the largest cooperative groups.

Selective blocking? Annoying to us, we don't use it...but your criminal/griefer types absolutely do, and are on record doing so.

Quite frankly, we've catered to the outlaws almost ridiculously. In a real world, a spree-murdering killer is hunted down and permanently exterminated with any and all means available. No one of sound mind has ever suggested that the police should "1v1" with a criminal, should not use better weapons than a criminal, or not use any advanced technique available. Yet, out of a sense of generosity, even griefers are given that in Elite. I'd suggest that if you don't appreciate that, you fail to understand what RP-ing as a mass-murdering spree-killer entails. In short, you want all the benefits, and none of the consequences.

Think before you post, and have the common courtesy to point to some proof, or your desperation and frustration at losing make you look like a sore loser slinging wild, baseless allegations. Right now, you're the drunken pilot in the station lounge ranting about how someone cheated you at poker...because you lost.

My tongue-in-cheek advice to you when you're upset at losing to greater numbers? "Git gud, scrub!" Oh wait, that's your line, isn't it...

Hypocrisy, thy name is griefers.

That's the longest 'No U' I've ever read....

Top Bottom