Blocking in Elite Dangerous

I don't play in OPEN so it's no use me knowing their name.

I have to admit, I am for the block function but I think it has to be for stronger things that not returning a wave.

I also think it has to be for stronger things than being blown up.

But I digress.
I totally agree with you.

Being blown up should not allow the "victim" to instance-block the attacker because ganking is allowed in this game by design (we can fire upon each other ships, we can interdict each other, we can hatch break each other, etc). Only if the attacker is attacking the same person over and over should it be ok to instance-block them IMO.

There should only be two modes in the game: Open and Private Group. You can block people from messaging in the comms in open, but you cannot block them from appearing in your instance. If you don't want to get instanced with someone create your private group with friends or join one which prohibits ganking. If you don't want to meet anyone at all and play "solo" create your own PG and keep it empty - that's how it should've been from the start.

While we're at it combat logging could also be fixed that way. Logging out during combat in open will cause your ship to remain in that instance, but you will simply lose control until you log back in again. Private group owners will be able to set whether their private group allows people to combat log or not.

Simple and streamlined, and no "filter out all the bad guys" or "whoops my internet connection went you'll get me next time lol" poopoo. This is supposed to be Elite Dangerous after all. ;)

YES!

And I would add... if you log in to Open (or any other mode) you cannot change to a different mode for 24 hours. That way someone cannot "escape" a combat situation by running to a different mode. Own your decision as to which mode you choose.

There should only be two modes in the game: Open and Private Group. You can block people from messaging in the comms in open, but you cannot block them from appearing in your instance. If you don't want to get instanced with someone create your private group with friends or join one which prohibits ganking.

There are a couple of problems with that.

One is, that as a console player I would have to pay a subscription to play in PG (I believe). I do not have to pay a subscription to play in open.

The other is, proper harassment. Sexual, racism or otherwise. Blocking comms stops that but if some creep follows a female CMDR about the place, why should she have to go hide in a PG?

Just blocking comms doesn't mean the harassment ends. Let some brute follow you around the streets for an hour without saying a word to you, you'll get the idea.

YES!

And I would add... if you log in to Open (or any other mode) you cannot change to a different mode for 24 hours. That way someone cannot "escape" a combat situation by running to a different mode. Own your decision as to which mode you choose.

I think there are a few legitimate reasons to instance block someone, I think it should trigger a report that you've done it. So for instances of racism, sexual harassment or anything else that might break the Top, as part of blocking you would have to file a report.

I accept that not everyone would be happy with this and am open top being told why it is s stupid idea whilst suggesting another way of protecting people from scum.

I think the 'Mode Time' option is an interesting one. Not one I would oppose but then I never come out of solo, so it's never going to hurt me.

There should only be two modes in the game: Open and Private Group. You can block people from messaging in the comms in open, but you cannot block them from appearing in your instance. If you don't want to get instanced with someone create your private group with friends or join one which prohibits ganking. If you don't want to meet anyone at all and play "solo" create your own PG and keep it empty - that's how it should've been from the start.

While we're at it combat logging could also be fixed that way. Logging out during combat in open will cause your ship to remain in that instance, but you will simply lose control until you log back in again. Private group owners will be able to set whether their private group allows people to combat log or not.

Simple and streamlined, and no "filter out all the bad guys" or "whoops my internet connection went you'll get me next time lol" poopoo. This is supposed to be Elite Dangerous after all. ;)

Don't want to get blocked? Don't be a jerk. Simples.

I disagree - the block function absolutely should block instancing. I block people for a reason - ie they've been a jerk and I have no wish to see them ever again. In any mode. If the price of that is that some may misuse it to avoid someone countering their actions, so be it - the effect is the same as if they changed mode anyway (ie they can't be directly opposed with combat either way). And there's no reason to remove solo as it is already a private group of one - the 'modes' are nothing more than instancing filters already. Having solo simply means a player can have both their own private group for when they want to play with friends, and can just go solo if they desire.

Last edited:
If you don't want to get blocked, don't annoy people.

Even more streamlined.
What an Elite: Safe attitude :D

One is, that as a console player I would have to pay a subscription to play in PG (I believe). I do not have to pay a subscription to play in open.
Didn't know that. Doesn't really make sense considering that there is no difference between Solo and an empty PG.
The other is, proper harassment. Sexual, racism or otherwise. Blocking comms stops that but if some creep follows a female CMDR about the place, why should she have to go hide in a PG?

Just blocking comms doesn't mean the harassment ends. Let some brute follow you around the streets for an hour without saying a word to you, you'll get the idea.
I get what you mean, but many other MMOs have only one mode and don't give you the option to choose who to not get instanced with and they don't seem to have such problems. There's always the "Report" feature after all.

The ability to simply hide from anyone ruins a lot of potential gameplay, like squadron wars, hunting down pirates and gankers, etc..

Okayyyy, I didn't know this was a thing until I stumbled upon this thread. Had to go look up what "Blocking" is. Since I have never played in Open, I had never known of this feature. Do people use this feature a lot? Wouldn't it just be easier to go to a PG
I'm sure the answer to your question is found in the 400+ posts currently available in this ancient thread, LOL.

Blocking should only block coms, not instancing. Instance blocking is being abused by many. One over-the-top example of abuse is someone in my squadron has been blocked by a commander because he did not o7 him enough. Really. I'm not making that up. Then there is the fact that whole squadrons are being blocked because they try to interfere with their ganking.

No thanks. I like it just as it is, playing video games with me is a privilege not a right.

Don't want to get blocked? Don't be a jerk. Simples.
If only it was that simple mate. Being a jerk in this game usually doesn't go outside the comms, and, as I mentioned earlier, blocking a person from communicating with you would solve this problem.

The ability to block who you want just ruins a lot of potential gameplay. For example, say I get ambushed and killed by a ganker. I get into a wing with some friends and we try to track him down. We finally do, but he logs via the menu and then adds us to his block list. Tada! What interesting and immersive gameplay!

If only it was that simple mate. Being a jerk in this game usually doesn't go outside the comms, and, as I mentioned earlier, blocking a person from communicating with you would solve this problem.

The ability to block who you want just ruins a lot of potential gameplay. For example, say I get ambushed and killed by a ganker. I get into a wing with some friends and we try to track him down. We finally do, but he logs via the menu and then adds us to his block list. Tada! What interesting and immersive gameplay!

Block doesn't change anything there, gankers clog whenever it doesn't go their way anyway. They genuinely care about exploding spaceships too much which is why they go after defenseless targets.

Top Bottom