Borderless/ natural fenced exhibits.

I was just watching best in slot’s latest evolution video (botanical gardens) where he builds a open exhibit with one wall made out of rocks. And I wondered if we would be able to do something similar in planet zoo. Like we already know the monkeys will avoid swimming. So would we able to build a island where the monkeys stay on with only the water? (Okay it might be troublesome for your keepers.) Or maybe keeping your crocodiles contained with rocks. I think rocks are probably a better natural fence then water but I do hope both would be possible depending on the animal species.

Natural Border Trick ;).png

As you can see - you can use terrain as natural border. :)

But the fence is still underneath the terrain. So I think the fence is necessary - that means, it might be impossible to use water as natural border, since you can't hide the fence in the water (like you do with the terrain).
You can however use stones.

🤔 Maybe that isn't a Fence in the Ground. Maybe it just shows where the Animals can't get out of the Exhibit. Or that Feature wasn't finished at the Moment, so they decided to put a Fence underground

You can see in the following screenshot, on the left is an Elephant exhibit where part of it is made of terrain...
1556107541_planetzoo_zoo2_4k.jpg

Also, in this shot below you can see the terrain border for the Elephant exhibit
PZ_screenshot_6.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 139177

As you can see - you can use terrain as natural border. :)

But the fence is still underneath the terrain. So I think the fence is necessary - that means, it might be impossible to use water as natural border, since you can't hide the fence in the water (like you do with the terrain).
You can however use stones.

I think this is going to work quite well. The fences seem to mesh with the terrain nicely.

Although I have to say - water as a natural border itself? That doesn't really make sense. All animals can swim. :LOL:
What I'm probably going to do a lot, though will be a moat

I think this is going to work quite well. The fences seem to mesh with the terrain nicely.

Although I have to say - water as a natural border itself? That doesn't really make sense. All animals can swim. :LOL:
What I'm probably going to do a lot, though will be a moat

Great solution.

I think every exhibit will need a fence all the way around. Even in the screenshots above you can see the fence goes all the way around the exhibit, though covered by terrain.
Maybe that is a limitation because that determines the size of a exhibit and will correspond with the animals exhibit size needs. I bet terrain will still have a impact (in Planco you have different types of textures with different kinds of slopes), meaning the "steep" slope will avoid animals from climbing up?

I'm very interested to see how the fencing system works.

Great solution.

I think every exhibit will need a fence all the way around. Even in the screenshots above you can see the fence goes all the way around the exhibit, though covered by terrain.
Maybe that is a limitation because that determines the size of a exhibit and will correspond with the animals exhibit size needs. I bet terrain will still have a impact (in Planco you have different types of textures with different kinds of slopes), meaning the "steep" slope will avoid animals from climbing up?

I'm very interested to see how the fencing system works.
There is a gamey reason behind the fence. It's a gameplay mechanic that tells the animal AI "Don't go beyond this point" and it's much easier to code the enclosure system this way, I think.
After all, there are animals that would not have a slightest problem scaling even a completely vertical terrain. Like Chimps and mountain goats for example. Or even bears.
So I think it makes sense that it's going to work this way - create an enclosure, then mask the fence with terrain and other features.

I know some places implement it to keep monkeys contained on a island. As said before (and also confirmed this was in the game) monkeys won’t cross water unless they want something on the other side. And if they find a way above they’ll choose climbing over swimming. Anyway here are some pictures. Second one does have some bushes around the water though those might be more to keep humans out of the water as the monkeys could just swim to the boat and the path after it.

Attachments

• 99E2A06D-22D5-496B-8AAD-2AAF95226EC4.jpeg
    99E2A06D-22D5-496B-8AAD-2AAF95226EC4.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 1,318
  • B1017506-9DC0-4608-91A4-9878C2D3CE2D.jpeg
    B1017506-9DC0-4608-91A4-9878C2D3CE2D.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 562

WingardiumLevicoaster

Volunteer Moderator
I am pretty sure it has been confirmed that terrain can be used as a fence for some animals. It depends on their climbing/walking abilities. I know this was discussed with the group that visited Frontier, but I thought it had been announced elsewhere too.

More like... most animals can swim. Giraffes for example can't.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QckMmkeAhyQ

:p

In all seriousness, though. Nobody has proven they can't swim. On the contrary, I've read some study that proved they can float quite easily, but the simple fact is that they rarely encounter a lake or river deep enough (more than 9 feet) so they would HAVE to swim. They just walk through. :LOL:

Last edited:
OMG That video made my day. Thanks! xD

We know that big rivers work as natural barriers for giraffes in the wild. ;)

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QckMmkeAhyQ

:p

In all seriousness, though. Nobody has proven they can't swim. On the contrary, I've read some study that proved they can float quite easily, but the simple fact is that they rarely encounter a lake or river deep enough (more than 9 feet) so they would HAVE to swim. They just walk through. :LOL:
If the giraffes in Planet Zoo can't dive off springboards using an upside down suspended giraffe as a grapple point to perform a tuck dive then I'm not interested in the game

I know some places implement it to keep monkeys contained on a island. As said before (and also confirmed this was in the game) monkeys won’t cross water unless they want something on the other side. And if they find a way above they’ll choose climbing over swimming. Anyway here are some pictures. Second one does have some bushes around the water though those might be more to keep humans out of the water as the monkeys could just swim to the boat and the path after it.

Monkey's can't swim so won't try to cross anyway.
Monkey's never swimmed before, and thus their natural instincts keeps them away from the water.

They sometimes use electirified wires for extra measures.

It also depends a bit on the kind of monkey you have. I know Blijdorp changed their exhibit for the Gorilla's after silverback Bokito jumped over the moat of 5 mtrs back in 2007 to go after a person that has been mocking him for some time. So they will cross indeed when they can.

That person did suffer serious injuries, but luckily for her she survived.

This is not the type of animal you want to mess with :rolleyes:

Bokito-Foto-Rob-Doolaard-Diergaarde-Blijdorp.jpg

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Some very good and correct assumptions in this thread!

To clarify: you definitely need fencing (which comes in different styles and sizes) around your habitat for the game to register that habitat as "completed", as there are some management and animal functions, such as whether the size of the habitat is right for the amount of animals, that you as the player need to be mindful of. However, you can choose to hide the fencing in terrain (as you can see in the already posted screenshot), or you can use the in-game "null fence" option, which means your fence is technically finished but won't be visible to you - just during the editing/building mode.

🦁
Bo

To clarify: you definitely need fencing (which comes in different styles and sizes) around your habitat for the game to register that habitat as "completed", as there are some management and animal functions, such as whether the size of the habitat is right for the amount of animals, that you as the player need to be mindful of. However, you can choose to hide the fencing in terrain (as you can see in the already posted screenshot), or you can use the in-game "null fence" option, which means your fence is technically finished but won't be visible to you - just during the editing/building mode.

🦁
Bo
Thanks for the clarification Bo! We can always rely on you to swoop in with the information 😂

🦁
Bo

Excactly the answer I was hoping for.

Again, thanks for clarifying! (y)

Top Bottom