Guide / Tutorial Bounty Hunting Crash Course

I made a new video for Elite: Dangerous Beyond 3.3 for new commanders who want to learn how to bounty hunt. This is a crash course so within 13 minutes I take you from the station, to a pirate kill for bounty, to turning in your new bounty. I will include some follow up videos in the coming weeks that flesh out bounty hunting in more depth.

[video=youtube_share;NGV3wVG2T0Y]https://youtu.be/NGV3wVG2T0Y[/video]

I have a question. Does NPC ship size scale with your ship size? I'm talking about mission spawned ones.

I want a pure combat ship for bounty hunting for my faction and combat rank. I don't know if I should buy an iEagle (cheap, fast, fun) or a FDL (expensive, powerful). If I need big powerful ships as I climb the rank, I will buy FDL. But if the enemy ships (mission targets) scale with my ship I will go with the iEagle.

I have a question. Does NPC ship size scale with your ship size? I'm talking about mission spawned ones.

I want a pure combat ship for bounty hunting for my faction and combat rank. I don't know if I should buy an iEagle (cheap, fast, fun) or a FDL (expensive, powerful). If I need big powerful ships as I climb the rank, I will buy FDL. But if the enemy ships (mission targets) scale with my ship I will go with the iEagle.
In my previous experience, targets encountered appeared to scale with the ship I was flying (Asp Explorer or Python) and more influenced by the rank of the mission. My pilot combat rank and ship appeared to affect random encounters which could spawn in during a mission encounter.

I'd also like to hear any other CMDR's (or Dev's) info on current affairs in bounty hunting missions as I've been out of the game for ~8 months.

Last edited:
In my previous experience, targets encountered appeared to scale with the ship I was flying (Asp Explorer or Python) and more influenced by the rank of the mission. My pilot combat rank and ship appeared to affect random encounters which could spawn in during a mission encounter.

I'd also like to hear any other CMDR's (or Dev's) info on current affairs in bounty hunting missions as I've been out of the game for ~8 months.
Not current but I thought they scaled with your combat rank.

Thanks for posting, new to the game and a bit overwhelmed so videos like these really help me to understand what’s going on. Thanks again.

Top Bottom