Newcomer / Intro Bounty Hunting, Trade, Mining Questions

If you get pulled out of supercruise when you're a beginner, they're normally pretty kind to you. They're always similar rank to you and the low rank ones don't even seem to know which way to point. They won't be like that forever, so it's worth practicing what to do when they hook you out. When carrying cargo or doing any missions other than combat ones, always fly with 4 pips to engines and 2 to shields. The moment they drop you into normal space, boost, boost again as soon as you can, then engage your FSD as soon as it cools down. I've never needed chaff or any other countermeasure other than speed. For that to be 100% successful, I always use A-rated thrusters and power distributor and save weight where I can to make my ship the fastest possible.
First, welcome to Elite Dangerous.

While boosting away, roll your ship.
FA Off will let you start the roll and forget about it, but can be done easily with FA On.
The point is to not let your ship, especially the thrusters, be a steady, non-moving target.
As the enemies become better (your combat rank determines their combat rank while your ship determine's the interdictor's ship), they'll know which way to point. ;)

You could also research interdiction avoidance tactics if you find them difficult to win or don't want to be bothered with the mini-game, although avoiding them is a mini-game too I suppose. :p

The Nav panel filter's default is to show everything. You must have changed it at some point. The X next to the Filters button on the panel will clear whatever is set and everything will be listed.

The type of missions offered by each system minor faction (MF) are generally determined based on the MF's State. MFs in Boom state should offer you courier missions more often than other states. Sometimes they persist shortly after the state changes too.

It will usually take multiple mined fragments to make an entire unit/tonne/ton of the substance. After you've got the detailed scan of astro-objects in a system, the system map will tell you what type of reserves the system has (ie, Pristine, Common, Low, Depleted, etc). Check the 2nd tab on the left side of the SysMap. Reserves applies to the entire system while rings are made up of different types of substances, such as icy, rocky, metal rich, metallic, etc) and is listed just after the description of the type of body but before its statistics.

If you do that in a Sidewinder with pulse lasers, the bad guys won't even shoot you.
True about 99% of the time, as long as security is attacking. Once, in a d-rated Sidey, I was helping bringing down a Crusader. Unfortunately, when it launched its fighter, that fighter decided to go after me. Very quickly shields gone, evasive actions and luckily the cops killing that fighter before I lost more than half my hull. Didn’t even land a single shot on that Taipan.

When you say roll do you mean a simple roll on one axis or roll whilst moving up and down as well?

I would also say 99% of the time they don't attack a sidewinder. I racked up about 600,000 and thought one more then i'm done. Started shooting another and after about 10s a pirate behind me suddenly targeted and killed me. Maybe it was a wingman of the one I was shooting?

I've been doing a few trade missions now (some netting 500,000)
I did one and got pulled out of supercruise then the attacker was firing limpets at me, didn't know what the hell they were until I landed and looked online, had cargo bay malfunction message a couple of times but luckily I didn't loose any cargo. I read that turning cargo bay off in modules stops the limpets from hacking the door, is that correct?

When the circle comes up to escape interdiction I now drop speed into the mid blue section and i've not been pulled out again.

I did a data recovery job in my cobra thinking it would be easy but as soon as scooped up the data with a limpet two ships jumped in and I couldn't escape as it was taking ages for the frameshift drive to charge so got destroyed. I'm guessing more experienced players would take them out? (as I would of got a bonus for doing so) but I haven't updated my pulse lasers or done any combat one on one (except for the simple training mission)

Do you use (and loose) the same ships you've bought in solo mode in arena mode?

Oh and I thought I'd mention i'm playing the game using xbox controller and oculus rift (which is why I crapped myself when I almost flew into that ship a while ago as it suddenly came hurtling towards me taking up my whole field of view lol)

Any of you playing it in VR?

True about 99% of the time, as long as security is attacking. Once, in a d-rated Sidey, I was helping bringing down a Crusader. Unfortunately, when it launched its fighter, that fighter decided to go after me. Very quickly shields gone, evasive actions and luckily the cops killing that fighter before I lost more than half my hull. Didn’t even land a single shot on that Taipan.
That's right. It's all explained in my video post #15. You must never shoot a ship that can carry a fighter until you've checked whether it has one. If it does have one, the fighter mysteriously circles behind you just waiting for you to try your luck. The moment you open fire, it shoots you from behind. what you have to do is put 4 pips to shields and wait until the mothership is nearly gone, then shoot it. With 4 pips, your shields will hold out until the mothership explodes, but you do have to be careful. You're gambling on how long it's going to last after you shoot it.

If you're there from the beginning of the fight watching and listening, in about half the cases, the feds get the fighter, so you see or hear it pop. They never launch a second one, so you're good to join in.

<snip>
I did a data recovery job in my cobra thinking it would be easy but as soon as scooped up the data with a limpet two ships jumped in and I couldn't escape as it was taking ages for the frameshift drive to charge so got destroyed. I'm guessing more experienced players would take them out? (as I would of got a bonus for doing so) but I haven't updated my pulse lasers or done any combat one on one (except for the simple training mission)
<snip>

Don't fight multiple ships in a Cobra not even if they are Sidewinders or Eagles. Use the speed of the Cobra instead. When pirates drop in, boost away (dont forget to retract scoop). If you are >5km away the other ships do not slow down FSD charging anymore. Jump into supercruise, loop back and drop into the signal source again. Scoop another item and if the pirates return, escape again . Rinse and repeat until you have all items you need for the mission.

In case you hadn't realised this: only if you charge the FSD for supercruise do other ships slow down the FSD (if they have a mass lock factor (MLF*) equal or higher than your ship's MLF). An FSD charge for a hyperspace jump is not affected by other ships nearby, so in an emergency you can always escape in 15 secs if you have a hyperspace jump target set beforehand.

* On coriolis.io you can find the MLF for each ship, but in general bigger ships have bigger MLF.

When you say roll do you mean a simple roll on one axis or roll whilst moving up and down as well?
I should have said wobble instead of roll, but if you are like me, rolling while in FA Off tends to end up more like a wobble. LOL

I would also say 99% of the time they don't attack a sidewinder. I racked up about 600,000 and thought one more then i'm done. Started shooting another and after about 10s a pirate behind me suddenly targeted and killed me. Maybe it was a wingman of the one I was shooting?
As d8veh stated, watch out for the ships that can equip a fighter bay.

I've been doing a few trade missions now (some netting 500,000)
I did one and got pulled out of supercruise then the attacker was firing limpets at me, didn't know what the hell they were until I landed and looked online, had cargo bay malfunction message a couple of times but luckily I didn't loose any cargo. I read that turning cargo bay off in modules stops the limpets from hacking the door, is that correct?
Hatchbreaker limpets FTW!

Data Recovery = Salvage? If so, they're fun but be quick about collecting and ditching or have good shields and hull to take the beating if the NPC ships do show up. Sometimes they don't. I now use a medium ship but used to use a Cobra III (and maybe Cobra IV) but I wouldn't hang around when the baddies show up. In a medium, shields and hull last longer, especially once RNGineered.

Note that you will reset the Mission Signal Source if you leave it. You can re-find/re-enter it should you not get all of them scooped before the NPCs pop in.

Do you use (and loose) the same ships you've bought in solo mode in arena mode?
Arena (aka, Close Quarters Combat or CQC) is mostly made up of the fighters one puts into the fighter bay modules. Smaller than the small ships like Sidey and Eagle. I think Sidey and Eagle might be included in Arena also, but I've never played so others here will have to confirm that.

Oh and I thought I'd mention i'm playing the game using xbox controller and oculus rift (which is why I crapped myself when I almost flew into that ship a while ago as it suddenly came hurtling towards me taking up my whole field of view lol)

Any of you playing it in VR?
I play on XB1 so XB controller and sadly, no VR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom