BOYCOTT OPEN PLAY - Time to Force Frontier to Pick a Mode (Solo or Open) - There can only be one...

OPEN players,

Please boycott OPEN play.

This forum is clearly dominated by the SOLO enthusiast, so I don't expect many will be against the idea.

It's pretty clear that Frontier have designed a game to try and cater for all types of players - those who wanted a single player game of Elite, and those who wanted an online game. The fact is, OPEN play, and the multiplayer features, are pointless where a SOLO player can do almost everything that an OPEN player (multi-play mode) can do. The only thing I can bring to mind that a SOLO player cannot yet do is form a WING (or join another ship) - give it time, and Frontier may provide AI alternatives for the SOLO player.

The Personal Fleet Carrier tells you all you need to know in its name - each Commander will be able to own a single Carrier: no assistance from friends or others will be required. Multiplayer mode (i.e. OPEN) - joining squadrons, factions, etc. - is not going to be required. So, unless you want to join a WING, join another ship, control a turret or something in another player ship, OPEN mode has little more to offer (not even any extra ARX as far as I'm aware ... :sneaky: ).

So, it's passed time that Frontier are made to choose between the modes, it's either SOLO or OPEN - but not both. One mode has got to go. From PowerPlay issues, to BGS issues (SOLO players vs OPEN players - you all know the arguments), players should no longer tolerate the situation.

As the game currently stands, it would have been better for Frontier to have developed a single player game with optional online multiplayer servers. However, if Frontier is serious about Elite: Dangerous being an MMO - the state of this game as it currently stands indicates that they are not - then the game needs to be changed to OPEN mode only. Frontier need to be forced into making a choice. The only way I can see this happening is by ALL OPEN PLAYERS CEASING TO PLAY IN OPEN.

Let SOLO and the Private Group modes have all the players. STOP PLAYING OPEN. Let all of Frontier's development time for OPEN and multiplayer features go to waste. All of the costs of running servers for online play should be wasted by players REFUSING TO PLAY OPEN in its current state - with a competing SOLO mode.

The result will be that Elite: Dangerous is reverted back into a dedicated single player game (probably with optional multiplayer), or Frontier will be forced to find ways of getting players back into OPEN - hopefully by abolishing SOLO. Will they let all of their development of multiplayer features, server expenditure, etc., go to waste - sacrificing this for SOLO - or will they give up SOLO and go for OPEN? Find out by BOYCOTTING OPEN!

Last edited:
I disagree. Modes for personal goals and progression are genius and should stay.
What FD should do is limit the effects of solo/PG on the BGS and powerplay.

Also +1 for trolling effort, this is gonna go places...
Maintaining the status quo is NOT going to bring about the results you desire related to the points you made. People have been making those arguments for ages, but Frontier are determined not to change the situation. Therefore, even to bring about the changes you propose, I think a boycott is still going to be needed...

Maintaining the status quo is NOT going to bring about the results you desire related to the points you made. People have been making those arguments for ages, but Frontier are determined not to change the situation. Therefore, even to bring about the changes you propose, I think a boycott is still going to be needed...
But the proven way to change things is ganking noobs, not skipping open play. Example: every SDC stunt ever 😜

Would people just stop polluting forums with the same thread over and over. Jeez, nothing will change. NOTHING. There are 3 modes. They will remain. Because...it works. Alright. Get over it. You want to play solo? Just go play solo and leave others to decide how they want to play. Want to do open? Go in open. What's your problem?
Just to reiterate again - this is not an MMO by any stretch of imagination.

But the proven way to change things is ganking noobs, not skipping open play. Example: every SDC stunt ever 😜
Yeah, everyone complains about 'griefers' and 'gankers' in OPEN. Thus why I'm confident I should have the overwhelming support of this forum for the boycott as they are all mainly SOLO players who complain the loudest about these 'problems'. Boycott OPEN and Frontier may do more to sort out other issues related to crime and punishment, system security levels, etc.

Would people just stop polluting forums with the same thread over and over. Jeez, nothing will change. NOTHING. There are 3 modes. They will remain. Because...it works. Alright. Get over it. You want to play solo? Just go play solo and leave others to decide how they want to play. What's your problem?
I think I made clear what some of the problems are. The two modes are at odds with each other and go against, dare I say, rules of fair play as well as rendering null and void most of the multiplayer options the game has to offer.

Gawsh. So much salt over the special clubhouse people not getting the special clubhouse toys. And to think they were accusing the non-group players of being selfish for wanting to play too.

Top Bottom