Community Event / Creation BRC presents: Border Hopping (A Warm Up Race)

borderhoppingbanner2.png

borderhopping%20leaderboard%20final.png

Welcome to the second of the Buckyball Racing Club's Warm Up Races, a series of short races planned to be simple and quick, and give you a good taster of Buckyball-style racing!

The Race

This is a fairly simple jaunt, hopping across the borders between the Empire and Federation, and between the territory of four Powers...

Start line is at Gaiman Dock in Beta Pictoris.

Then call at the following four starports, in any order:
  • Bresnik Port in 82 Eridani
  • Mikulin Hub in Kamchaa
  • Michalitsianos Hub in Kapod
  • Tsunenaga Port in LHS 200
Finish line is back at Gaiman Dock in Beta Pictoris.

Expected circuit time is 20-30 minutes.

To aid in route plotting, here's a list of the stations, the distance of each from its respective star, and the distances between the systems in light years.

jqXyaai.png

Entry Options

Entries can be made in any ship (all five waypoints are full size starports), and at any time. The race closes at 23:59 GMT on 20 September 3301; you must cross the finish line no later than 23:59:59 on 20 September for your entry to count.

For this race, there are three classes of entry available:
  • Open Play (for races conducted entirely in Open Play in the main universe)
  • Solo / Private Group (for those running in Solo or in a private group)
  • Open Beta-verse (Special, for this race only: option for those making the run in the beta universe; includes Xbox players)

How to Enter

1. Get to Gaiman Dock in the system of Beta Pictoris. Make repairs, fill with fuel, and ensure your ship is outfitted exactly how you want it for the race.
  2. Open the Outfitting screen and capture a screenshot (F10) of your ship. Be sure to capture Power Plant, Thrusters, Frame Shift Drive and Power Distributor statistics as well as your ship's mass.
  3. Return to the surface and prepare for launch.
  4. Hit F10 to take another screenshot, or start your video capture, showing your start location and time.
  5. Call at the following four stations, in any order. At each one, take a screenshot on the landing pad showing your location and the time.
    • Bresnik Port in 82 Eridani
    • Mikulin Hub in Kamchaa
    • Michalitsianos Hub in Kapod
    • Tsunenaga Port in LHS 200
  6. Return to Gaiman Dock in Beta Pictoris, taking another screenshot on arrival.
  7. Send a PM to me (drakhyr), or email drakhyr <at> buckyballracing <dot> org <dot> uk, with the following:
    • Forum user name
    • Commander name (i.e. your in-game name)
    • Ship name
    • Ship type
    • Race entry class (open play, solo/private group, or open beta-verse)
    • Race time
    • Either a link to your video, or a link to your screenshots. There should be 7 screenshots in total: outfitting; start at Gaiman Dock; 4 x waypoints; finish at Gaiman Dock.
For guidance on what to capture on screenshots, see the How to Enter page of the Buckyball Racing Club website.

Last edited:
The obvious questions:

What happened to the times?

This race is a return to the more traditional Buckyball style. Times won't be published during the week, only standings. When I update the board at the end of each day, those who have submitted an entry that day will be told how far they are behind the commander in front, and how far they are ahead of the commander behind.

Actual times will be revealed for the last day of the race.

What's the prize?

The sight of your name at the top of the leaderboard, and the opportunity to say you won a Buckyball Race.
Oh, and depending upon how Ceska's feeling, possibly the chance to get your very own mention on Radio Sidewinder :D

What's to stop me cheating?

Nothing. Like the Buckyball Runs, we operate on an honour basis here. There's nothing I can do to stop you from faking screenshots or using exploits. But where's the benefit in that? It wouldn't get you anything, except a lasting feeling of shame. This is all about doing the race for the fun of it.

How come you've entered your own race? Isn't that cheating?

My entry was set before the race started, to give an idea of times. And it certainly shouldn't be the fastest run, given that it was set in a Cobra still fully equipped with weapons, shields, etc...

I had to dock and get fuel. Does that count against my time?
I got interdicted. Does that count against my time?

Time waits for no-one, and neither does the race clock. It's all part of the race. :)

Great Drakhyr. :D

I'm not sure when I'll be making a run, but I certainly will be.

I'm glad that you remembered to hide the race times, I totally forgot about that until about the third day of my race, and then it was too late. Cya all at Gaiman Dock! :cool:

I've been doing a few plots and practice runs in beta. There's a bit of hidden complexity to this race. I like it.

The INV White Whiskers will be blasting off for an official attempt shortly.

r5QgHay.png

And, after the first day... we have an entry!

OK, so it's only the one entry, but it's a start, so I can't complain :). As promised, Cmdr furrycat's Imperial Courier INV White Whiskers did indeed make a successful attempt. The practice runs in beta seem to have paid off, as furrycat's first attempt duly blew past my Cobra to take top spot on the leaderboard. Well done furrycat!

Now, where are the rest of you? :D

Ooh, another race. I'll be having a go shortly.

Edit: Well, that didn't go so well. First I bounced off the wall trying to come out of Mikulin Hub and then at the end, literally 1 or 2 seconds before arriving back at Gaiman Dock, I was interdicted by a bloody eagle.

Last edited:
Oooh, interesting... Not going to lie, I think furrycat's chosen very well on the ship front!
... but I'm a BBR6 veteran, so I'm going to do it in a Hauler regardless. :D

what?! a courier beeting a cobra in speed? did you transfer shieldmj to kinetic energy, furrycats? grats :)

... i would so much love to race tonight, but i have rare goods in my rack, which i need to give to a fellow commanders some time tomorrow. even worse those racks are in a bubble-specced multipurpose asp ... NEED FOR SPEED!

Edit: Well, that didn't go so well. First I bounced off the wall trying to come out of Mikulin Hub and then at the end, literally 1 or 2 seconds before arriving back at Gaiman Dock, I was interdicted by a bloody eagle.
I feel your pain... Relatively good first run, then interdicted 4Ls from Gaiman Dock. Should still be a decent enough time, and a couple of fun GIFs incoming soon... :p

EDIT: As promised...

So I haven't flown a Hauler in a while...

I haven't lost my touch at planetary braking though...!

Last edited:
arrived in gaiman dock in my the sweet little dbs "The Bee's Gee", after some final outfitting in ohm city (ohm city and borr city are the two li yong rui controlled hightech systems close by). now shower, the emperors favourite coffee, and a handrolled rusani old smokey cigarette, before i take off.

CMDR goemon
Ship: Diamond Back Scout "The Bee's Gee"
OPEN

i'm back. got interdicted, but most of the precious time i lost was due flying to kamchA istead of kamchAA...

well, i will try later this week.

nice route :)

second attempt. will send new pics. 4 minutes less. you can always beat yourself! fly safe -

... a customer called, in need for a shinbuto delivery, till DAWN... o/

MFRNp07.png

Cmdr goemon's improved time in the Diamondback Scout The Bee's Gee managed to secure a creditable fourth place overall. While I appreciate the assistance in holding up the rest of the board, I suspect that goemon won't be content with that and will improve further as the week progresses.

I didn't add any comments when I updated the board yesterday, but, well, Alot posted a time. Those of you who've been here before won't be surprised to see his position on the board :D.

I didn't add any comments when I updated the board yesterday, but, well, Alot posted a time. Those of you who've been here before won't be surprised to see his position on the board :D.
Bah... I still say a Courier can beat me. :p

(C'mon furrycat! I believe in you :D)

Thanks for organising this race, Cmdr Drakhyr! I've done three runs this evening and have just submitted the details of the best of them. I was flying my racing Cobra, the Null Geodesic, but have not done the fast docking and undocking this race demands before, so I might try again later in the week (maybe I'll also try it with my Diamondback Scout).
There are conflict zones in two of the systems as a result of minor factions having a civil war: Beta Pictoris and 82 Eridani. Be particularly careful about interdictions in those systems! I also had to throw off an interdiction attempt in Kamchaa as I was approaching the station on my first attempt, so the others are not completely safe, either. Take care out there!

Bah... I still say a Courier can beat me. :p
I thought I had you beat this time. Then I joined the interdicted on the final stretch club.

Hairy moment at the end to match a hairy moment right at the start.
[video=youtube;q7DLyPYeAwc]https://youtu.be/q7DLyPYeAwc[/video]

Top Bottom