Dinosaurs Breeding

Your Feature Request / Idea
This is way out there, I know. But uh life finds a way?
The idea is that in sandbox and/or on the main islands have the option of your dinosaurs naturally breeding.
In sandbox it could just simply be an option in settings while on the main islands it could be an unlock able option like maxing out 5 stars and unlocking it for that island.

The main issue besides the actual coding and such would be the social and population limits might cause issues because to be frank alot of the armored herbivores have small social limits.

Anyone have thoughts on how this idea could be improved or otherwise?

Well, baby dinosaurs could simply not count towards the social limit. And once they reach "puberty" and start counting, they start looking for their own spot, and have to be able to migrate to a spot out of sight once the group gets too big and fend for themselves.

This doesn't work well with feeders though... and just randomly drifting individual dinosaurs that don't try to stay in packs and always battle to the death instead of trying to get out of eachothers way.

While I actually think breeding could greatly add to the game, I don't see it as something that urgent or even desirable for now. And certainly not likely.

It would be awesome to see baby dinos, and it could also introduce some new, interesting mechanics: imagine if, for each species, certain gene-splicing sequences could trigger a possibility of an invisible gender-switch. There wouldn't even be any need for "nesting animations": baby dinos could just sprout from the forest areas, since we can't see adult dinos there anyway. Then, if you're not aware of it, and quickly identify the animals to separate/replace them, the new generation could quickly grow up to upset your whole herd, pushing the social limit with their count.

The fun would be that, gene-splicing would be specific for each species, with more than just two combinations for each one, each of them with different probabilities of gender switching, so it would be hard to tell which ones are for each species and, for challenge mode, perhaps random too.

But, as I said, I don't see any of this likely and, anyway, the game would need a much more realistic dino AI before thinking of that.

As always, i would like to go on record that i am fully against this idea in the myriad of forms it's been presented thus far, for too many reasons that make it practically unfeasible to implement, which i could write an essay about, but have other things to do with my day. So thats gonna be a no from me, Dog.

Some dino species are very sensitive to population limits, either with their own kind or with other species. Once that number crosses their tolerable limit, they would go absolutely bonkers and stage a break out faster than one could say, "Welcome to The Rock!"

If the dinos are allowed to breed on their own, the player is going to be overwhelmed by emergencies.

Dino sizing is another issue to tackle, just imagine that every dino in the base game needs a smaller version of themselves. Just like in The Sims franchise to simulate infancy to adulthood.

Last edited:
If the dinos are allowed to breed on their own, the player is going to be overwhelmed by emergencies.

Dino sizing is another issue to tackle, just imagine that every dino in the base game needs a smaller version of themselves. Just like in The Sims franchise to simulate infancy to adulthood.

That overwhelming was there from the very beginning and still is to some extent. Anyway, it is the whole point of the franchise, as all JP problems, both in the novel and the film, ultimately lead to that.

Still, the overwhelming thing would depend on your choices too: unmodified genomes should be the only ones unable to gender-change so, if you want to genetically modify your animals for whatever reasons, are you ready to have those problems? It would be mostly a problem of dino AI too, for not all dinosaurs should be an issue: for instance, it is mentioned in the novel that they didn't notice because some of them mingled with the ones they freed from their labs, others were nocturnal, others simply took the place of some individuals dying for uncertain, unnoticed causes while in obscure places (not covered by move sensors). Also, it shouldn't be the same having new carnivores than new Maiasaurus, for instance, which are happy to thrive in big herds.

I think the main problem with this is that it would require a huge amount of work to implement and the game is nowhere mature enough for this (and, in fact, I doubt it will ever be). And I'm firm they should be focusing right now in fixing clipping and implementing a good AI to match the inmersive graphics, otherwise it will be pointless because the game will still be boring.

And with respect to the other models... well, PK has already implemented in its alpha stage some quite nice ontogeny mechanics. Obviously, the differences in graphics and skins are noticeable but in terms of playing mechanics and depth... PK might well win in time.

Last edited:
Yeah by no means do I think this should be a priority, back burner stuff completely. But the social and population limits would be only troublesome with the stegos family tree, ankylo family tree and triceratops Family tree. All those dinosaurs fight to the death when social or population limits are exceeded.

Liked the feedback keep em coming!

For a next generation game, we need a lot more content than we have now in JWE. A DLC of nests with male dinosaurs, would be much cooler, not to mention that it would be interesting to separate the genres by the skins, and the behaviors of the dinosaurs would be different also.

While I see where people are coming from, adding breeding at this point is basically a different game, The theme park aspect of the game needs some big updates before we have growing dino.

Yes, I agree that there are more urgent improvements, but the reproduction is necessary to make the game better, after all this is an aspect present in TWJP and JP3. Even with the title Jurassic World, we need all the elements of the jurassic franchise in the game, and the reproduction is one of them

Yes, I agree that there are more urgent improvements, but the reproduction is necessary to make the game better, after all this is an aspect present in TWJP and JP3. Even with the title Jurassic World, we need all the elements of the jurassic franchise in the game, and the reproduction is one of them

While I agree on that, and also on your previous post about the gender-split skins and behavior, it's utterly urgent to admit that currently it cannot be done and wouldn't even be desirable: dinosaurs have no AI whatsoever, they do not socialize in a realistic way, they do not even herd, much less exhibit territorial behaviors... even at hunting most share similar, unsynchronized animations... why trying to force breeding now the game is so bare bones?

Let's allow Frontier to finish the game and implement some realistic, smart AI and fix animations first, then hopefully focus on terrain tools/constraints and adding more buildings and management depth before trying to implement something that complicated as breeding and ontogeny.

It would be cool to choose the genre of dinosaurs with the skins you want, not a mandatory skin. But as you said, there are many improvements to be made before

Last edited:
Top Bottom