Bridging the Gap - Overview of Phases

Considering that Community Goals had become 'stale', I'm wondering if anyone can point out the major difference between them and the new Galactic Initiatives? Looking at the in-game Community Goal screen, it seems to be exactly the same (it hasn't even been changed to reflect they are no 'Galactic Initiatives'). I'm struggling to see much of a difference for the actual player.

At any rate, I'll state clearly that I only participated in one or two Community Goals - hauling junk from one system to another. I'm not participating in the current initiative as it seems to me to be pointless - too much hard work.

What I would like to see is the ability to buy or trade blueprints, etc., from the eventual winning faction so as to be able to unlock the Guardian tech, instead of having to go find this junk myself (the in-game providing no easy pointers as to where to find such blueprints (and other needed stuff)) - is that going to happen?

Last edited:
As has been pointed out before, this community goal is only part of the Interstellar Initiative. They're going to use community goals, the new scenarios and BGS states and dev tools to try to create a narrative that players can buy into and influence the outcome. In this case, if people play their cards right, there will be a place that people can go to Farm Guardian Mats and unlock Guardian Equipment quickly which might be of use in further Interstellar initiatives and dealing with any thargoid threats.

As this is the first one, I'm treating it like a Beta where we're all learning the best ways for these to run. If we're still having problems like this after three or four of them, then I would be worried. It shows that fdev are trying something new to give keep interest in the game.

What hasn't been considered so far, is that because they can use the dev tools, they could throw in a plot twist half way through the event. I.e., Suddenly, thargoids attack the system to stop the creation of new weapons to be used against them. It gives them a lot more flexibility to create an interesting story.

Last edited:
Considering that Community Goals had become 'stale', I'm wondering if anyone can point out the major difference between them and the new Galactic Initiatives? Looking at the in-game Community Goal screen, it seems to be exactly the same (it hasn't even been changed to reflect they are no 'Galactic Initiatives'). I'm struggling to see much of a difference for the actual player.
There really isn't a difference. Forum vote + 2 community goals = new AX weapons, this is nothing new. It's not terrible, I am having fun playing an interstellar relic hunter, but it isn't novel or new in any appreciable way and this initiative has not lived up to the hype in my opinion. If I'd known all the details I wouldn't have come back from my exploration in the black I think.

something said you need to sign up ahead of time before the turn ins count. Where do we sign up?

I don't even know how to participate atm. I haven't found anything on it. Is it in the CG when you get to zende?!

Dock with The Prospect and sign in as in a regular GC at the Mission Board.
As a bonus, you will get a decal when you dock with The Prospect

something said you need to sign up ahead of time before the turn ins count. Where do we sign up?

I don't even know how to participate atm. I haven't found anything on it. Is it in the CG when you get to zende?!
You can sign in at any mission board in the section for Community Goals just do so before handing in anything, but you can only hand in commodities at the outpost "The Prospect" so make sure you are in a small or medium pad ship.

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
Last week I saw some information, I thought in this thread but now I can't find it, but I did copy it at the time as I wanted to use it for my piece on Hutton Orbital Radio News. On the strength of what it said I took the megaship to take part in this week's CG - but have been unable to find this 'new way of collecting' the Guardian materials:

Commanders will be able to pirate ships and convoys for Guardian Commodities, while scavengers will be able to salvage wreckages for Guardian Materials without firing a shot!
I don't do combat so welcomed the idea of being able to collect Guardian stuff in this way. Now I'm confused about where I should be looking?

I don't do combat so welcomed the idea of being able to collect Guardian stuff in this way. Now I'm confused about where I should be looking?
Degraded emissions signal sources, but they only drop Guardian mats, so are useless for the current CG (but give an alternative to farming materials to unlock the tech and restock the ammo synthesis for the upcoming module... note however that they don't drop blueprint or obelisk data so you still need to go planetside if you are unlocking tech).

The convoy signal sources have guardian commodities and could be used for the CG (if you are okay with becoming a pirate...), however they are reportedly are pretty inefficient compared to farming keys from beacons or picking up commodities two at a time planetside... and of course both of those methods are also pretty inefficient.

I know guardian materials now pop up in at least one system. I collected them last weak to fill up for normal stuff. The show up in normal degraded and encoded uss.

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
Degraded emissions signal sources, but they only drop Guardian mats, so are useless for the current CG (but give an alternative to farming materials to unlock the tech and restock the ammo synthesis for the upcoming module... note however that they don't drop blueprint or obelisk data so you still need to go planetside if you are unlocking tech).

The convoy signal sources have guardian commodities and could be used for the CG (if you are okay with becoming a pirate...), however they are reportedly are pretty inefficient compared to farming keys from beacons or picking up commodities two at a time planetside... and of course both of those methods are also pretty inefficient.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not really interested in any modules as such, just wanted to take part in this CG in a peaceful 'new' way. And no I am definitely not okay with becoming a pirate! 😲

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really interested in any modules as such, just wanted to take part in this CG in a peaceful 'new' way. And no I am definitely not okay with becoming a pirate! 😲
Commodities collection via SRV from an undefended guardian ruin (not the sites with bots that defend them.) is the Slow quite calm way to take part in the CG...
Depending on how small the cargo rack of the ship the less sites you have to visit, when full sell at CG station...

Its the same old guardian communities CG you may have allready done before if you did past CGs ...
This time with out the very long jump back...
Only Guardian materials (which are not the same thing as commodities in the CG) can be collected in a new way with out shooting now that the CG and II are active...

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
Commodities collection via SRV from an undefended guardian ruin (not the sites with bots that defend them.) is the Slow quite calm way to take part in the CG...
Depending on how small the cargo rack of the ship the less sites you have to visit, when full sell at CG station...

Its the same old guardian communities CG you may have allready done before if you did past CGs ...
This time with out the very long jump back...
Only Guardian materials (which are not the same thing as commodities in the CG) can be collected in a new way with out shooting now that the CG and II are active...
Thanks, I hadn't realised it was only materials that could be collected in the new way, and I also thought they were going to be included in the CG but it seems they weren't. I realised I can use an SRV at a Guardian ruin but was looking forward to the new method. :)

Yeah. I'm liking it so far. Since I'm out here today I picked up a ship blueprint and 3 weapon blueprints.
Scanning uss, collecting drops. Then doing the cz for a break.

Thanks, I hadn't realised it was only materials that could be collected in the new way, and I also thought they were going to be included in the CG but it seems they weren't. I realised I can use an SRV at a Guardian ruin but was looking forward to the new method. :)
Im still trying to get the other alternatives to driving the SRV to work on planet based collections but many people will likely not like the relog it requires or it may make them feel ill as it requires being up side down in orbit... above the planet.

Last edited:

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
OK looks like this is the only way for me - do you know of any undefended guardian ruin I can go to?

OK looks like this is the only way for me - do you know of any undefended guardian ruin I can go to?
If you drive around without shooting anything, and without getting too close to the big obelisk receptor location, I don't think the sentinels spawn, do they?

Drive, scoop stuff on the ground only, load, scoop, etc. .... then relog

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
If you drive around without shooting anything, and without getting too close to the big obelisk receptor location, I don't think the sentinels spawn, do they?

Drive, scoop stuff on the ground only, load, scoop, etc. .... then relog
I've no idea, not done much of this before. Thanks. :)

Top Bottom