Bridging the Gap - Phase One - Commencement

Which system, in Guardian space, would you like the megaship ferry to permanently travel to?

• IC 2391 Sector FL-X b1-7

Votes: 1,076 30.9%
  • Synuefe IL-N C23-19

Votes: 224 6.4%
  • Synuefe EN-H d11-96

Votes: 1,368 39.3%
  • Synuefe GT-H b43-1

Votes: 655 18.8%
  • Synuefe PF-E b45-5

Votes: 154 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But they mentioned there will be a way to undermine this operation, by working against it, or something like that.
So might be fun.
"Might be fun".....

Yea i remember saying that way too many times in the past with Frontier, hoping that they would make things engaging and fun.
But even after all those times, when i saw that they stopped the regular CG's in order to go live with something entirelly new that we could BE PART OF, for once more i hoped that THIS IS IT.... this is the point where Frontier starts to make things right with community events... this is what will keep us onboard until the end of 2020... we waited with patience for years on the old CG's, so this is it. No salt from the community for those weeks of no CG's because everyone, was hoping for this to be the real thing.
And what happened?? One week a simple vote that takes place OUTSIDE of the game, for a ferry that covers a small distance on the bloody weekly server restart, that hurts this game so much. Instead of properly giving tools to people to alter some things in the game on the fly, thus creating a proper story, we again have to wait for Thursdays. And i also suspect more story in the form of pure grind to again unlock even more weapons or modules right? i don't see anything changing, sorry.

We need a DM,a Dedicated StoryTeller to organize and orchestrate the events,planning and execution with a flow...also wouldn't be better the ships to be AI piloted?have them to and fro ferrying instead of waiting a week for the travel?last fun I had was with Salome and yes iwas kinda salty at her demise..by a known magician...

To me, this initiative seems pointless because the systems are so close to each other. Since this is the case, why can't the ferry hit them all in the space of a day?

Also, the systems are too close to the bubble in my opinion. They are less than an hour away from anywhere in the bubble in a fast ship.

Over two years ago, I proposed the megaship ferry idea as a way to go to Colonia or further. That's what I'd like to see.

Last edited:
This all thing is gonna make the Gnosis disaster look like a walk in the park. You guys do realize that after this horrible start, just more of the old CG's are coming right?

1. First week of the new initiative, is played entirelly in the forums!!!
2. It is 2 ferries that move once a week, for a distance that is covered in 10 minutes with an AspX.
3. Connect the dots and get ready to grind your heart out, for absolutelly no meaningful outcome.

The rest of the initiative will pretty much be about people shooting other people lol.

• Ok, but how about posting some constructive ideas of how to solve this mess, i hear you ask.
  • Well it happens that i do have some nice ideas that are pretty easy to implement.
  • Care to share?
  • Why should i? Didn't you see what 4 years of feedback brought us? A week of forumplay and disasters like the Gnosis incident and the Thargoid "invasion".
The Gnosis (bar out of order story) was one of the most interesting things to happen in a long, long time.

FD should realise shuttle services from corporations are not a satisfying basis for a compelling story. We can only really judge when everything is over, and yet so far I'm not impressed at all.

The Gnosis (bar out of order story) was one of the most interesting things to happen in a long, long time.

FD should realise shuttle services from corporations are not a satisfying basis for a compelling story. We can only really judge when everything is over, and yet so far I'm not impressed at all.
The Gnosis...

Canonn: we've spotted a loophole. We can jump across locked region into a space FD wanted to keep us out of.
FD: We can't guarantee you'll be allowed to do it.
Canonn: We're going for it.
FD: Thargoids have been seen in the area.
Canonn: We're still going!
Players: We're aboard!
FD: New kind of Thargoids have been seen!
Players: We're still aboard!
FD: MIS-JUMP! THARGOIDY DOOM!!!
Players: Waaah! Unfair! We didn't expect Thargoids!

Sometimes the GM can't win...

Last edited:
I tend to see as others this all idea as a "test" to see if the megaship ferry system works, and probrably be implemented in the future to take ppl to and from Colonia back into the bubble...

As a all, i dont even care about this thing, since i can jump to this system pretty quick with my ASPX and there is actually nothing interesting to do there, unless, they are gonna open the closed area near it, that would be diferent, or add content, new content on those areas for this community activity, wich would sux big time since many of us have spent time on those areas exploring and mapping, looking for something and there was nothing, and if they had now, will be a slap in the face of the ppl that went there before...

But lets wait and see how is this gonna play out.

As is, i say, good idea, poor implementation!

The Gnosis...

Canon: we've spotted a loophole. We can jump across locked region into a apace FD wanted to keep us out of.
Canon: We're going for it.
Canon: We're still going!

Sadly I missed being involved in this incident, I'd only been playing a short while and still had my training wheels on.

But even as a newbie, reading the story, I was surprised at the reaction... since when was a stroll into enemy territory going to be 'just bring a flask and some sandwiches'?

I've taken the time, recently, and the rebuys, to take on AXCZ's and shoot scouts (limit of my ability) and had a massive chuckle doing so! Been hyperdicted 3 times and enjoyed the rather creepy aspect of it, now we really do need for the Devs to bring the 'war' properly into the game - fingers crossed.

disclaimer: I'm not a combat pilot, can usually hit a barn door with a scatter gun if I'm close enough and will never be 'gud' enough for PvP - but am happy to face systems where AX incursions are a real threat, not hidden until the player makes the choice.

The Gnosis...

Canonn: we've spotted a loophole. We can jump across locked region into a apace FD wanted to keep us out of.
Canonn: We're going for it.
Canonn: We're still going!

Sadly I missed being involved in this incident, I'd only been playing a short while and still had my training wheels on.

But even as a newbie, reading the story, I was surprised at the reaction... since when was a stroll into enemy territory going to be 'just bring a flask and some sandwiches'?

I've taken the time, recently, and the rebuys, to take on AXCZ's and shoot scouts (limit of my ability) and had a massive chuckle doing so! Been hyperdicted 3 times and enjoyed the rather creepy aspect of it, now we really do need for the Devs to bring the 'war' properly into the game - fingers crossed.

disclaimer: I'm not a combat pilot, can usually hit a barn door with a scatter gun if I'm close enough and will never be 'gud' enough for PvP - but am happy to face systems where AX incursions are a real threat, not hidden until the player makes the choice.
I think your reactions illustrate nicely what went wrong with the Gnosis story.

On the one hand there are the hardcore combat pilots. For them the combat can never be hard enough and they always try to push the devs into making combat harder: "give us fully engineered NPCs", "a player should have a 50% chance of loosing to an NPC", etc, etc. On the other hand there are the casual combat players and non-combat players. For them combat is just one of the many activities available in the game.

Then there is Frontier, they have shown a tendency to think of the playerbase as if they are all hardcore combat players. Their talk of "cutthroat galaxy",the steady stream of new weapons and combat ships and ultimately the release of the Engineers (with all dials set to 10, engineered NPCs with weapon special effects included) illustrated that. It took them a while to realise they pushed combat much too far, much too quickly for the average player.

IMHO the Gnosis was simply Frontier forgetting the lessons learned from the Engineers release. They had a new combat plaything (Hydra's) and they were eager to show them off. They saw the Gnosis as a good opportunity. Unfortunately they forgot the Gnosis was an explorers storyline and most explorers are casual combat players at best. Throwing them into the deadliest PvE scenario the game can generate predictably did not end well.

Of course the hardcore combat players onboard the Gnosis loved it.

Then there is Frontier, they have shown a tendency to think of the playerbase as if they are all hardcore combat players.
This made me laugh! Players were quite clearly warned Hydras were in the area- one of the most brutal NPCs in the game. You were supposedly jumping into an unknown sector, thinking automatically it would be safe. This naivety was because everything is optional in this game- everything is built around you opting in, which simply fools people into a false sense of security...quite clearly FD think players are not hardcore.

This made me laugh! Players were quite clearly warned Hydras were in the area- one of the most brutal NPCs in the game. You were supposedly jumping into an unknown sector, thinking automatically it would be safe. This naivety was because everything is optional in this game- everything is built around you opting in, which simply fools people into a false sense of security...quite clearly FD think players are not hardcore.
Hardcore or not, I think any players who didn't expect Thargoids just weren't paying attention. There was obviously no way FD could allow the jump to go ahead and they had dropped very heavy hints about what would happen instead.

Hardcore or not, I think any players who didn't expect Thargoids just weren't paying attention. There was obviously no way FD could allow the jump to go ahead and they had dropped very heavy hints about what would happen instead.
Agreed but not in the word "instead". The truly interesting part is that in my perception no one (maybe a tiny minority perhaps) actually was upset or surprised by the appearance of Thargoids while in reality most explorers went to the Gnosis as a chance to get to the otherwise unreachable Cone sector. THAT and not the Thargoids was the truly disappointing part, something all the others who went there exclusively for some Thargoid action didn't care about of course. Now those Heinis are still blaming the explorers as whiners while still ignoring WHY they were disappointed. Nothing IIRC actually indicated at these times that the destination would be canceled. I bet many explorers wouldn't have bothered at all to fly to the Gnosis if they would have known this before and I still wonder if the guys from Canonn were initiated. There was a lot of trust destroyed by this silly event, at least for a certain part of the community. And still needlessly poking on the carebear drum surely doesn't make it better...

Last edited:
This made me laugh! Players were quite clearly warned Hydras were in the area- one of the most brutal NPCs in the game.
I was one of the explorers on the Gnosis. I came over because what i read called not only for combatants, but also explorers.
I expected danger - in fact I was looking kinda forward to explore in a more dangerous environment. I expected Thargoid attacks. I hoped for an event that could have catered for explorers, combat pilots and all those in between alike. Dodging Thargoid attacks, hoping our boys could keep the damn aliens away while we were looking for new discoveries in previously unknown places...
What I did not expect was the lousy execution. A leaked outcome, a minuscule hop of only a few lightyears and then a lukewarm Thargoid attack. I watched the fights for a while, shot a few salvos at the aliens, then headed home. What a missed opportunity.

This experience, as well as the few times I tried to take part in FD's "storyline" before are the reason I chose not to get actively involved in this new initiative. I'm just watching it from afar, hoping that this time I'm totally wrong with my negativity and you all have actually an exciting event

I was one of the explorers on the Gnosis. I came over because what i read called not only for combatants, but also explorers.
I expected danger - in fact I was looking kinda forward to explore in a more dangerous environment. I expected Thargoid attacks. I hoped for an event that could have catered for explorers, combat pilots and all those in between alike. Dodging Thargoid attacks, hoping our boys could keep the damn aliens away while we were looking for new discoveries in previously unknown places...
What I did not expect was the lousy execution. A leaked outcome, a minuscule hop of only a few lightyears and then a lukewarm Thargoid attack. I watched the fights for a while, shot a few salvos at the aliens, then headed home. What a missed opportunity.

This experience, as well as the few times I tried to take part in FD's "storyline" before are the reason I chose not to get actively involved in this new initiative. I'm just watching it from afar, hoping that this time I'm totally wrong with my negativity and you all have actually an exciting event
I wholeheartedly agree about the lousy implementation, it was very poor. However, it was a different story when it all kicked off in the morning, when people had to react on instinct. I watched one video of a guy in an FdL just make it away and was visibly shaken. He was in shock, messaging others and simply running for his life. That was the essence of what the Thargoid menace should be, the dread every pilot who undocks and those who explore should have. Not "ooh, water world!" but "what else is here with me?"

Again, you illustrate nicely how hardcore combat players think. And that's fine. I do not criticise them or you for that.

Casual combat and non-combat players thought: we're probably going to see some Thargoids but if Ikeep them at a distance I'll be safe. A logical expectation since all Thargoid content was opt-in until then. But then Frontier decided to put the Hydra's at the doorstep of the Gnosis (and forgot about the no-fire zone and the C&P rules for detention centres).

My point is that Frontier made a mess of the Gnosis trip because in their enthusiasm to promote Thargoids they forgot how diverse the playerbase of ED is. They have to set up such events to cater for different play styles.

Again, you illustrate nicely how hardcore combat players think. And that's fine. I do not criticise them or you for that.

Casual combat and non-combat players thought: we're probably going to see some Thargoids but if Ikeep them at a distance I'll be safe. A logical expectation since all Thargoid content was opt-in until then. But then Frontier decided to put the Hydra's at the doorstep of the Gnosis (and forgot about the no-fire zone and the C&P rules for detention centres).

My point is that Frontier made a mess of the Gnosis trip because in their enthusiasm to promote Thargoids they forgot how diverse the playerbase of ED is. They have to set up such events to cater for different play styles.
Um, sorry, but if you're referring to me as a hardcore combat player, some hardcore combat players are going to die laughing.

I was flying an unarmed Asp Explorer as the Gnosis suffered its obvious disaster, and I enjoyed RPing a rat leaving the sinking ship.

In October of 3302, the first set of Guardian Ruins was discovered by CMDR XDeath in the Synuefe XR-H D11-102 system, and inspired thousands of Commanders to head out into the black, searching for more information about the ancient alien race.

Three years later, we’ve discovered Guardian Structures and Beacons, we’ve worked alongside the Engineer, Ram Tah, to create weapons and modules, and we’ve even rediscovered the blueprints for ancient Guardian ships and pieced them together with our own ships to once again take them to the skies.

Today, we’re proud to begin the all-new, first ever Interstellar Initiative... Bridging the Gap. We invite you to make your mark on the Elite Dangerous universe and to help shape its future and its story.

What are Interstellar Initiatives?

Interstellar Initiatives are a series of in-game events and narratives that play out over the course of approximately a month. Each one features several phases that will alter as the story progresses and may end with lasting effects on the galaxy!

Zende Partners Announces Transport Service

Zende Partners has revealed plans to establish a ferry service between the core systems and Guardian space.

Freya Taine, the company’s CEO, made this statement:

“In response to increasing demand for Guardian commodities, my company aims to facilitate access to the area once occupied by the Guardians. This will involve the construction of a megaship to transport pilots to and from this comparatively inaccessible region.”

“Five systems have been highlighted as potential destinations, and we’d like to invite the galactic community to decide which of these should serve as the termination point for the megaship. We will then build an outpost in the chosen system, and the megaship will enter service.”

“We hope that this initiative will stimulate new innovations in the field of Guardian-human technology.”

How do you get involved?

Zende Partners have identified five locations in Guardian space where they will not only set up an outpost, but fund the creation of a Megaship ferry that will take Commanders from the system of Zende to a location voted for by the community
  • Candidate System #001 - IC 2391 Sector FL-X b1-7
  • Candidate System #002 - Synuefe IL-N C23-19
  • Candidate System #003 - Synuefe EN-H d11-96
  • Candidate System #004 - Synuefe GT-H b43-1
  • Candidate System #005 - Synuefe PF-E b45-5
It's an ambitious plan. With easier access to Guardian technology, Zende Partners hope to build and develop new technology to benefit the human race... and, perhaps, their economic standings.

To get involved with this first phase of Bridging the Gap, all you need to do is cast your vote above!

You have from now until 6 May 2019 at 11:00 AM (UTC) to vote for your choice of destination. Choose wisely!

Join us aboard the Stargazer!

To assist you in making an informed decision, the flight team of the “Stargazer” will take you on a visit to one of the Guardian Sites and talk about what your options are during the next episode of the livestream series: “Stargazing Tours”. Tune in at 18:00 (UTC) on 2 May on either YouTube, Twitch or Mixer.

Good luck, Commanders.

Again, you illustrate nicely how hardcore combat players think. And that's fine. I do not criticise them or you for that. Casual combat and non-combat players thought: we're probably going to see some Thargoids but if Ikeep them at a distance I'll be safe. A logical expectation since all Thargoid content was opt-in until then.
FD tweets teased about real time Thargoid attacks, heavily hinted top end Thargoids, people should have read the signs which were quite clear- the Gnosis was going to see a new sort of trouble. It demonstrated the gulf between mindsets- one was ready for danger and accepted it, while the other hoped it would be locked away because everything is peaceful 'unless I say so' and would never change. Its also did not help there was a conflict between Canonn and FD, with people thinking the former had ascendancy.

But then Frontier decided to put the Hydra's at the doorstep of the Gnosis (and forgot about the no-fire zone and the C&P rules for detention centres).
Part of the sloppy part which I agree was poor. The out of order Galnet also wrecked it.

With this event I've always wondered if the Gnosis was supposed to be weighted as a combat event since the hints they kept on giving suggested something new was coming. A jump into the unknown would be an ideal physical story and FD went with it. Maybe thats the root cause of the animosity, since the jump was initially to be player group led.

Plus, FD have not traditionally been good at catering to everyone- FD have / had only support or pay attention to explorers with the Thargoid 'storyline events'. What action is in crashed Thargoid ships, hyperdictions, barnacles, half ruined motherships, signal puzzles / object puzzles? It was about time FD gave something to combat players to bring them in from the cold.

In fact, just listening to Will on the II video he never mentions any combat group at all- its all Fuel Rats, Distant Worlds etc. The Gnosis would have provided a shift in gears, linking between Thargoid station attacks and the ongoing war- up until that point everything was distant.

Top Bottom